Tv Tropes Wiki

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Tv Tropes Wiki

Post by Serafina »

I searched the forum, and found no title mentioning TV Tropes Wiki.
Thus, here it is, my first new topic (other than introduction). If you want to move it to another forum, do so.

TV Tropes Wiki is a great site about, well, tropes.
They cover tropes of all kind, used in any kind of media (TV. movies, anime/manga, tabletop, fanfiction etc.).

TV Tropes Wiki is somewhat informal: They do not write about facts or pure observations alone, but also about impressions. But if you look at their subject, this is only fitting: Tropes are subjective, after all.
But they do not write random stuff: Most of their descriptions are accurate and fitting.

For all of you that do not know already: A Trope is a device/convention that is used by writers.
E.g. certain types of characters or plot devices, like a "General Ripper" (a high-ranking officer who is obsessed with one type of enemy, e.g. "commies" or "milkmans").

Obviously, knowing about tropes is great for a writer: Your readers will react to tropes, wheter you/they know about them or not. Perhaps you want to use a certain kind of character and avoid common errors, or perhaps you want to subvert a common cliché. If you do know how the trope is widely used, this is way easier.
For non-writers, knowing tropes is a great way to re-discover and analyse fiction.

Oh, and while TV Tropes Wiki has no science, it certainly has mockery of stupid people (or writers, that is).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tv Tropes Wiki

Post by Ford Prefect »

While no topic has been made on it, members will occasionally link to it. Personally, I find parts of the trope wiki to be kind of interesting to read, but other parts are such pits of nerdy lameness it's makes me sad to be a geek. The overstuffed 'crowning moment' pages, for example, are totally awful. So to is the sort of mindset which reading this wiki seems to cause: for example, analysing fiction from the angle of tropes is intellectually bankrupt, in my opinion.

And I swear to God if anyone makes a 'your mileage may vary' crack I will find you.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, those parts of the wiki are marked "just for fun" and are in a different area of the wiki for a reason.

And yes, analysing fiction merely by tropes fails - tropes are a tool to analyse, not an analysation.
But then, overanalysation is common no matter what kind of tool you are using - just like overzealos hunting for fallacies.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Like Ford, I find the hilariously shoehorned lists of not-really applicable stuff to be great light reading - the videogame version is even better, because any trope ever is applicable to Metal Gear, Halflife, and Final Fantasy. TRUST ME. :lol:

The faux-intellectual posturing of 'omg I know a trope vaguely related to xyz plot development/character/etc' utterly disgusts me, and is the literary version of totally broken inherit poseur wisdom.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Ugh, I spend way too much time on that site, I basically agree with Ford, with the added note that many of the examples sections display just how chaotic the whole setup is. Not to be taken too seriously but definitely fun to browse and see if you recognise the franchises involved, also feeds you interesting plot points from things if you have no intention of reading/watching them.

Also, they need to delete all pages and references to 'Crowning Moment of Awesome'. If it's your crowning moment you cannot have more than one, that devalues the whole phrase. Do you know how many of these 'Crowning Moments' Mal Reynolds from Firefly has? 12
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Furthermore, not every series should qualify for crowning moment of awesome, just like every series doesn't have a big damn hero moment or a heel face turn- people on that wiki seem to use it to mean "Part I thought was cool". They should delete every single crowning moment of awesome and make a new trope page called "Not A Crowning Moment of Awesome". Make it just say:

"You know that moment you thought was awesome in some show nobody else has seen? Yeah, it wasn't."

TVTropes is oddly self-aware about its own stupidities at times and oddly oblivious at others.

With that said, besides its fandom element of calling everything awesome and squishing stuff into lists where it doesn't belong, it's a pretty good site for browing- I've lost entire hours to it without knowing where they went.
EarthScorpion
Padawan Learner

Post by EarthScorpion »

Yeah, it's sucked up a lot of my time, too. On the other hand, it was what persuaded me to take a look at Haruhi, so at the very least I can thank it for that. Just sort of live with its quirks, and it's tolerable.

Also, Academia Nut's Thousand Shinji has been given its own page, which is somewhat amusing.
See the Anargo Sector Project, an entire fan-created sector for Warhammer 40k, designed as a setting for Role-Playing Games.

Author of Aeon Natum Engel, an Evangelion/Cthulhutech setting merger fan-fiction.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Why the hell is this in fanfics?

TV Tropes will suck your time away, into a black hole of time wasting. It is a good way to find out about other interesting stuff however.

Not to mention sci-fi debris has their own page :)
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

You have no idea how hilarious I find that page. While I will admit to the ego boost, I refuse to mention my own glee at things until after the fact as I prefer to simply let other people express their enjoyment rather than trying to poke it along myself.

And yes, the most irritating thing is when they include a trope name under something and then don't substantiate it, because then its like "So where exactly in this story does this trope happen? Does it even happen at all?"

Crowning Moments definitely needs to be broken up though. Probably one section for "Kickass Moments" or some such thing and then hash out from there the one definitive moment of a series or character that defines their ability to be awesome. That would probably cause huge fanboy fights though, which is probably why the Crowning Moment of Awesome has turned into an index rather than a page due to fanboy bloat.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Stark wrote:The faux-intellectual posturing of 'omg I know a trope vaguely related to xyz plot development/character/etc' utterly disgusts me, and is the literary version of totally broken inherit poseur wisdom.
The notion of subverted or inverted tropes eithe amuses me or shakes my head. So a character doesn't fit the archetype set by a trope? INVERSION! I enjoy reading it from time to time and it's kind of cute to notice stuff in one's own writing that fits a trope, but ugh. It's pretty hilarious that a fanfic from here managed to score a page though. :lol:
What is Project Zohar?

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I do have to say, I found the "So Bad It's Horrible" section to be pretty... yeah, it seems that putting up the disclaimer about what that means did help the quality control. (Especially in the "So Bad It's Horrible: Wrestling" section...)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

As someone who LOVES dramatic analysis, TV Tropes is a mixed blessing. Good idea, a fun light read, but marred by the Wikipedia mentality.

Still, it's a fun way to kill a few...days.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Samuel wrote:Why the hell is this in fanfics?

TV Tropes will suck your time away, into a black hole of time wasting. It is a good way to find out about other interesting stuff however.

Well, it is not merely about science fiction - it is about all of fiction.
And i considered it usefull for fanfiction-writers.

And yes, they should put up a warning "contagious like crack".

And yes, lots of it are overdone - just use your own mind.

speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Ford Prefect wrote:The notion of subverted or inverted tropes eithe amuses me or shakes my head. So a character doesn't fit the archetype set by a trope? INVERSION!
At the risk of me-tooing, that is kind of presumptuous since in many cases it's debatable whether the tropes even exist. And seeing 'inverted with X, Y and Z' when they're referring to THE BIBLE is kind of... odd.

Also there are spoiler tags on their bits on the Bible, blanking out the fact that Spoiler
Jesus dies at the end
One's got to assume that's a joke, though.
Ford Prefect wrote: It's pretty hilarious that a fanfic from here managed to score a page though. :lol:
Armageddon!? gets a few mentions as well.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Oberst Tharnow wrote:
Samuel wrote:Why the hell is this in fanfics?

Well, it is not merely about science fiction - it is about all of fiction.
And i considered it usefull for fanfiction-writers.

And yes, they should put up a warning "contagious like crack".

And yes, lots of it are overdone - just use your own mind.
That is what off topic is for.
One's got to assume that's a joke, though.
I knew an evangelical Christian who stood outside Passion of the Christ and shooted out that "Jesus dies at the end!" And that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader for Episode 3 just for the laughs :) . It is funny the first time you hear it.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Samuel wrote:That is what off topic is for.
Sammy, the board servers will not suddenly burst into flames because this topic is in the Fanfic subforum. It doesn't actually matter.
And seeing 'inverted with X, Y and Z' when they're referring to THE BIBLE is kind of... odd.
Yeah, there's plenty of silliness. The duck above makes a good point about the varying levels of awareness with regards to the trope wiki's stupidity. At times it seems clear that it's dryly cynical, and at times its fannish wankery, sometimes of the wiki itself. It's a curious mixture, but as entertainment, I see nothing wrong with it. I have actually picked up useful information from there, though it isn't actually trope related.
What is Project Zohar?

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, i wrote iny my OP:
If you want to move it to another forum, do so.
So, if a mods thinks this is the wrong forum, i ASKED to move the thread.

And yes, TV Tropes Wiki has very distinct levels of quality. The trope-descriptions are mostly good, the examples...not so much. Of course, its a wiki, what do you expect?

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Academia Nut wrote:Crowning Moments definitely needs to be broken up though. Probably one section for "Kickass Moments" or some such thing and then hash out from there the one definitive moment of a series or character that defines their ability to be awesome. That would probably cause huge fanboy fights though, which is probably why the Crowning Moment of Awesome has turned into an index rather than a page due to fanboy bloat.
The thing is, Crowning Moment of Awesome is a subjective thing. What you consider to be "the" crowning moment may not be what I think is. You get thousands of people reading the thing, a dozen or so examples is to be expected as different people add what they thing was the best moment.

That said, however, there is some Site Decay, to paraphrase a Trope. After all, the place did start by talking about Television before expanding to films, games, anime, comics, literature and theater (and anything else I missed).
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

If you thought 'crowning moments of awesome' was bad, just look at the spin-off crowning X of awesome' pages, particularly the music one. That is just a huge utterly random list of tracks someone somewhere happens to like; I loaded five or so at random and four of them were awful (although it was worth it, because the fifth one was a genuinely awesome track by 1200 Micrograms :) ).

But yeah, it does prove that a 50/50 cross between Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Dramatica seems near-optimal for wiki entertainment value. :)
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Subjective tropes will inherently lead to "a huge utterly random list of tracks someone somewhere happens to like," although I do agree with the Ace Combat lists (particularly the track "Zero").
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread