An Old English Piece

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

An Old English Piece

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Just something I found from an old English assignment to write a page related to a book you've read and wanted to add to. This is related to the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks.
Questionable Ethics

The pass below started to silently fill with the native troops. Entire legions of lightly armoured and armed soldiers marched in unison in between two 30ft tall walls of sandstone. Undeterred by the intense heat of the desert, the foot soldiers marched, their golden armour glinting in the sun as it heated the ground to 40°C.

Standing defiantly atop one of the canyons walls was a young woman perhaps in her early thirties. Beside her hovered a Combat Drone, its sleek, featureless metallic body no bigger than the woman’s head floated at eye level, both watching the sea of gold armour flow with silent awe.

‘It’s a pity really we have to intervene in these trivial affairs but…’ the woman trailed off, biting her lip as she tried to find something in her black military jump suit. The drone simply hovered, weightless next to her as though the anticipation it was feeling had paralysed it.

‘Okay then, do it’ the woman said almost in a sighing fashion as though the scenery of this desert, the army and the small village settlement that was preparing to be attacked was becoming passé and she could simply wipe it away.

The combat drone acknowledged her command with a quiet whirr as it finally sprung to life and was no longer a part of the scenery.

The army below was oblivious to the shiny metal ellipsoid darting down at 45° towards the rear of the ranks.

The drone with incredible speed and accuracy fell to shoulder level and raced through the ten thousand troops still set on getting to the shanty village and completing their objective; destruction of a settlement of so called traitors.

‘You’re doing better this time. I can see why Special Circumstances are already pushing you into production’ the woman said, still standing observing the troops. The drone hovering in the position it was seconds before as though it never left her side.

The metal sea of armour was scattering as the foot soldiers found all their spears, swords, shields and crossbows sliced to pieces and now completely useless. The general didn’t even notice as his broadsword was cleaved into several pieces as the drone passed in those rapid seconds. Using to devastating (but non-lethal) effect its cutting field.

The village was relieved but surprised at why the army was leaving.

‘C’mon, lets report back’ the woman and drone walked off towards their previously unseen shuttle.
I think I'll start writing again since I've stumbled on this stuff from years back. :P
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I'm not familiar with the universe depicted, but this page is nice.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Very Banks-y. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin