Battle of the Hymn. (a second look.)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

consequences wrote:
IC: "Ale and Whores!" :)
Wouldn't it be "Ale/Mead and wenches!"
OOC: A stirring portrayal of Political Intrigue and Strategic Cunning based upon The Book of Five Rings, The Art of war, and The Prince, which leaves us dumbfounded at the insights and subtle manuevers you weave into your narrative, and... ah, screw it, Ale and Whores! :D
Political Intrigue. Knife, I think you should remind the councilmembers/Five Towns That we have the ability to gain an insurmontable technological advantage over the Morlocks. Degan's a Chemist...he can make Gun powder. By that same token, we can make barbwire, observation ballons, etc.....basically, bring us up by our bootstraps to being the most technologically advanced army in the land. :twisted:

Whether or no the council would run with it, is, of course, your call. :P
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Gentlemen, I present to you your firearms!

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Breachloading artillery is our's!

Wrought-iron breach-loading artillery. Build multiple breach-blocks and you can get something resembling rapid fire, if you have a group of strong men to roll it back into position after each shot. Can be fired with solid shot--cut stone or lead--or bags of gravel for close-range antipersonnel fire.

Give me saltpetre, sulfur, charcoal, cheesecloth and wine (or stale urine) and I can make corned blackpowder in job lots. If you can't find me saltpetre then I can make it with water, manure, urine, and a big underground tank, given ten months or so.

Sure, there's a rather high risk of the barrel bursting, but all things said that is preferable to defeat. So who is going to volunteer for the Artillery, eyh? I need six strong men, two powder monkeys, and a gun captain (knowledgeable in maths) for each gun. 'Tis better than t'pockin infantry, but I warn yah: Y'gots to keep tae t'guns 'till the last!
SCREW-GUNS wrote: Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin' cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army
that handles the dear little pets -- 'Tss! 'Tss!
For you all love the screw-guns -- the screw-guns they all love you!
So when we call round with a few guns,
o' course you will know what to do -- hoo! hoo!
Jest send in your Chief an' surrender --
it's worse if you fights or you runs:
You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees,
but you don't get away from the guns!

They sends us along where the roads are, but mostly we goes where they ain't:
We'd climb up the side of a sign-board an' trust to the stick o' the paint:
We've chivied the Naga an' Looshai, we've give the Afreedeeman fits,
For we fancies ourselves at two thousand,
we guns that are built in two bits -- 'Tss! 'Tss!
For you all love the screw-guns . . .

If a man doesn't work, why, we drills 'im an' teaches 'im 'ow to behave;
If a beggar can't march, why, we kills 'im an' rattles 'im into 'is grave.
You've got to stand up to our business an' spring without snatchin' or fuss.
D'you say that you sweat with the field-guns?
By God, you must lather with us -- 'Tss! 'Tss!

The eagles is screamin' around us, the river's a-moanin' below,
We're clear o' the pine an' the oak-scrub,
we're out on the rocks an' the snow,
An' the wind is as thin as a whip-lash what carries away to the plains
The rattle an' stamp o' the lead-mules --
the jinglety-jink o' the chains -- 'Tss! 'Tss!

There's a wheel on the Horns o' the Mornin',
an' a wheel on the edge o' the Pit,
An' a drop into nothin' beneath you as straight as a beggar can spit:
With the sweat runnin' out o' your shirt-sleeves,
an' the sun off the snow in your face,
An' 'arf o' the men on the drag-ropes
to hold the old gun in 'er place -- 'Tss! 'Tss!

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin' cool,
I climbs in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule.
The monkey can say what our road was --
the wild-goat 'e knows where we passed.
Stand easy, you long-eared old darlin's!
Out drag-ropes! With shrapnel! Hold fast -- 'Tss! 'Tss!
For you all love the screw-guns -- the screw-guns they all love you!
So when we take tea with a few guns,
o' course you will know what to do -- hoo! hoo!
Jest send in your Chief an' surrender --
it's worse if you fights or you runs:
You may hide in the caves, they'll be only your graves,
but you can't get away from the guns!

P.S. Great story, Knife.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I volunteer to work in the Duchess's gunpowder mill.

Can't wait for the next chapter.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Gentlemen, I present to you your firearms!

Post by Lonestar »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:<snip primative gunwankery>

I already brought it up, he said it would be too much like the "sd.net in middle earth" thread. :(
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Lonestar wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:<snip primative gunwankery>

I already brought it up, he said it would be too much like the "sd.net in middle earth" thread. :(
There was one of those threads?

Well, I am off to look at the Archive.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Lonestar wrote:

Not really--that had a lot of modern technology. This is a wrought iron gun, which means the staves and hoops can be made with the exact same tools and equipment as are being used to make swords. Essentially that barrel consists of a series of iron staves set up to form a rough circle, surrounded by a series of iron hoops which are hammered around the staves. The breach block is built up by a similar method. It's entirely 15th century technology, and that gun itself is based off of one found on the wreck of the Mary Rose.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Mulan, and even "Arena" suddenly comes into my mind. 8)
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Not really--that had a lot of modern technology. This is a wrought iron gun, which means the staves and hoops can be made with the exact same tools and equipment as are being used to make swords. Essentially that barrel consists of a series of iron staves set up to form a rough circle, surrounded by a series of iron hoops which are hammered around the staves. The breach block is built up by a similar method. It's entirely 15th century technology, and that gun itself is based off of one found on the wreck of the Mary Rose.
I'm not disagreeing...I'm just repeating what he said.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Lonestar wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
I'm not disagreeing...I'm just repeating what he said.
For the record, I was/am contiplating some semblence of cannonades, but in essence, I really wanted to keep it medieval, since the whole concept was me writting a'fantasy' type story
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Well you can't get much more medieval than 15th century, now can you? :D
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

darthdavid wrote:Well you can't get much more medieval than 15th century, now can you? :D
Fine, classical sterotypical medieval. Catapults and siege towes shit. :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Knife wrote:
darthdavid wrote:Well you can't get much more medieval than 15th century, now can you? :D
Fine, classical sterotypical medieval. Catapults and siege towes shit. :wink:
I meant the cannon... *someone whispers in ear, word sarcasm is heard* Ohhhhh, I understand now. Sorry to trouble you.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Knife wrote: Fine, classical sterotypical medieval. Catapults and siege towes shit. :wink:
You also said this was a fantasy setting. Where are my Wizards? :evil: :wink:
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

Where are my Wizards?
I got your magic user right here.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

frigidmagi wrote: I got your magic user right here.

Midgets with straw hats and Ludricously BFGs don't count!
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

Sure they do, long has they aim at you :twisted: :wink:

Seriously just relax and wait to see what Knife has in store.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

For story ideas, I would go with the intrigue.

Oh and if I am mentioned again, I would name my sword Herugrim
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Sure you can, 15th century is really already into the Rennisannce therfore its not even medieval at all. That period was essentially over by the first 2-3 decades of the 15th century so I'd look more towards say 12th century. :D
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Sure you can, 15th century is really already into the Rennisannce therfore its not even medieval at all. That period was essentially over by the first 2-3 decades of the 15th century so I'd look more towards say 12th century. :D
No it isn't. The 15th is definately medieval. Still feudal, still scientificly stagnant (minus arquebuses and bombards), and the Europeans were repeatibly getting their asses handed to them by the Muslims.

Definately Medieval.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
No it isn't. The 15th is definately medieval. Still feudal, still scientificly stagnant (minus arquebuses and bombards), and the Europeans were repeatibly getting their asses handed to them by the Muslims.

Definately Medieval.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Lonestar wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:

Definately Medieval.
The early 15th century maybe but you're already takling about the beginning of the Euopean movement towards colonization and the "Age of Discovery." Moreover the Renissance is generally sltaed to begin in the early to mid 15th century which signalled the end of the Late Medieval period. You're already looking at burgeoning trade and the resurection of commerce and scientific as well as philisophical thought across all of Europe. Critical figures like Da Vinci , Jan Hus, Guttenberg, and Martin Luther are all products of the mid to late 15th century so one would be hard pressed to call it medieval except to say that it was the century of transition. I would rathercall the 15th century the first of the Renissance.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

:shock:

wow, you know, some interesting shit has been going on here for a bit...........Some one needs to really make a thread about some of this stuff. :wink:

Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

And again my hopes go up, then come crashing down.....

Did you manage to get over your writer's block for the next chapter?
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Temjin wrote:And again my hopes go up, then come crashing down.....

Did you manage to get over your writer's block for the next chapter?
RL's been grinding me down lately. Sorry, but just can't get into the mood. I do, however, have a good outline for the chapter and most of the kinks worked out, so it is just a matter of sitting down and typing away. Just not now. Again, sorry.

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

So that's what the fic was called. i remember reading this when it first came out, but i didn't remember what it ws called. Keep up the good work.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!