The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Tiwaz
Youngling

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Fifty Five Up

Post by Tiwaz »

Jaevric wrote:Wouldn't allowing pension plans to continue after death effectively destroy the First Life economy? Would Social Security continue after death if pensions do? Would people who died long before the Salvation War be owed back pay for pensions and Social Security that they had been unable to collect?

At some point legal issues would almost have to take a back seat to pragmatism; if pensions and Social Security had to be paid in perpetuity to anyone who got old enough, retired, then died, it wouldn't take long for more people to be collecting those payments than paying into the programs.

I'd assume that at some point laws are going to be passed that any such payments cease being payable upon death. Hell, if Second Life humans can accumulate wealth that can be used on Earth, won't dead people end up owning basically everything fairly quickly? Look at the percentage of people in the United States who control most of the real wealth, and imagine them dying and leaving everything to themselves.
Like I said, for US legal system precedent can be seen in First Lifer making testament to themselves as Second Lifer. For majority of the world, this is most likely different as system with civil law is much more widespread than common law.

Anyway, back to point...
For this to be necessary, you have to assume that they are separate people.
If they are separate people, then there is no case for continuing any benefits granted in First Life.

Easiest way to sort out this is to make requirement that testament must be made to person, real or legal, who is in existence at the moment of making the paper or moment of death.

On completely unrelated issue.
With the issues sparked by UN in this thread, I would be interested to have a thread where people who have much to complain on UN could tell us how they would do UN "right". Which forum it would fit best? News and Politics (by name) or Off Topic (by not being in any way news or "real") are my current strongest options with Off Topic taking the lead, but wanted some other opinions.
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

I think that Darth Wong has the situation correctly summed up. From a legal perspective everything has been drafted, and signed up to, on the basis that when you die your entitlements, simpliciter, inter alia, cease.

Whilst some who so signed up may have been christian (heaven or hell) or hindu (reincarnation) or atheist (worm food) etc all understood what death here means.

There will be litigation but common sense sees the dead leaving their goods and rights etc behind.
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Finally! All Seven Bowls of Wrath are poured, meaning that Yahweh will not be sending any more unpleasant surprises (Though Michael might have a trick or two left). Though it seems Azrael is about as deluded as his boss about the humans. If this particular episode doesn't act as a wake-up call, then maybe he'd like to lead his troops in battle the way Beelzebub did.

You also mentioned that Yitzhak, the murderous traitor swine, is now in HEA custody. I hope we get to see him squirm soon, the rat bastard. And we really need to know who sent him, and who his buddies are. Unless Michael-Lan's doing a great job of being an Unreliable Narrator, then it had to be Azrael.

The only way this can get better is if the HEA zeroes in on the Angelic Host invading Earth - and promptly surprise-bomb then with fast-burn viruses or daisy cutters. After all the crap they pulled, the lying winged freaks deserve no less.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The only way this can get better is if the HEA zeroes in on the Angelic Host invading Earth - and promptly surprise-bomb then with fast-burn viruses or daisy cutters. After all the crap they pulled, the lying winged freaks deserve no less.
Don't expect it to be too easy. Heaven can field something like 100,000,000 angels for combat. That's one hundred MILLION beings capable of shouting down a military fighter jet or punching a hole in a building with their voice. If they were to attack a single city at once from close range (say, 3000 feet directly above) that city would be wiped out. Angels have the advantage of mobility over demons, and that counts for alot.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Aye, and there's the rub. They'd most likely get the drop on us if they attack from the air. And yes, we'd lose a city.

Just thought of something. If we lose a city, can we play Scorched Earth and just nuke it, Angels and all?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Saint_007 wrote:Aye, and there's the rub. They'd most likely get the drop on us if they attack from the air. And yes, we'd lose a city.

Just thought of something. If we lose a city, can we play Scorched Earth and just nuke it, Angels and all?
You could, but I don't think anyone would do that unless it was a last resort. Even in a city there will be survivors.

Also remember, if you nuke an open portal, VERY bad things can happen. Do we want a permanent thirty-mile portal over chicago, or new york? What about one that's only 50 feet off the ground?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Buritot
Youngling

Post by Buritot »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Also remember, if you nuke an open portal, VERY bad things can happen. Do we want a permanent thirty-mile portal over chicago, or new york? What about one that's only 50 feet off the ground?
Or one that's on ground level and the city is on shore? Whoops, we've got us an ocean drain!

Anyways, good chapter. I personally didn't like dwelling on the rescue effort of the Intrepid but that's opinion for you.

I don't think the dead partners of Goldman-Sachs are in any legally justified position to demand pension since there are many precedents of regular people willing their worldly wealth to their second lifes which in turn acknowledges these being separate persons as well as the originals dying. Otherwise the Last Will wouldn't take effect.
What they could get away with is severance pay, maybe.

On the other side there will be a huge outcry for the remaining top heads of Goldman-Sachs to cut the bullshit of granting themselves bonuses due to the untimely death and freed pension money the dead partners. This is like if a virus wiped out large amounts of people older than 65 and the heads of social insurances clapping themselves on the shoulder for the good work they did freeing all that money of its obligation to be spend. (hint: they did NOTHING)

But, well, that's par of the course for bankers. Is 'idealist banker' any oxymoron?

As for the oil price: Keep in mind the hypercanes destroying many oil refineries in the southern US and Gulf of Mexico and who knows where else, too.
~Buritot
BRAN! The Morning Meal for Dyslexic Zombies!
Chlodwig
Redshirt

Post by Chlodwig »

I don't think the dead partners of Goldman-Sachs are in any legally justified position to demand pension since there are many precedents of regular people willing their worldly wealth to their second lifes which in turn acknowledges these being separate persons as well as the originals dying. Otherwise the Last Will wouldn't take effect.
What they could get away with is severance pay, maybe.
On the other hand there is a precedent of willing your wealth to your 2nd life self. We are talking about the people who know (or created) most of the tricks of that particular trade.... You can assume that they have at least all of their wealth accessible in short order and probably are due a couple of very expensive life insurances....

In my opinion Retirement/pension is a concept about to end. With effectivly 'eternal 2nd life' There is simply no way to stop working after 40-50 years and beeing provided for for all eternity. Same I would guess for 1st life life insurance and stuff like that.
Even the option of just saving up money and then living from the interest is only going to work for so long because there have to be enough people actually providing the services you want to spend your money on.

IMO a lot of concepts we are taking for granted now are going in for a very drastic change.
drakensis
Padawan Learner

Post by drakensis »

Indeed. I'd expect a wave of people beginning to feel the pinch of age deciding to opt for euthanasia so they can start over in Hell.

Are You Within Five Years of
RETIREMENT?
Do You Have Mechanical or
Electrical Experience?
ROME NEEDS YOU!
File for Citizenship and Euthanize Now!
NOW YOU CAN TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Saint_007 wrote:Aye, and there's the rub. They'd most likely get the drop on us if they attack from the air. And yes, we'd lose a city.

You could, but I don't think anyone would do that unless it was a last resort. Even in a city there will be survivors.

Also remember, if you nuke an open portal, VERY bad things can happen. Do we want a permanent thirty-mile portal over chicago, or new york? What about one that's only 50 feet off the ground?
For one thing, this is a case where we're talking about "the city is effectively overrun by Angels", and the US Army isn't going to make in time for any survivors to count on them. And nuking is indeed a last resort.

In any case, I had assumed the Angels would be opening a portal like Abigor did; right in the middle of nowhere. Then again, the Angels (assuming they have somebody with half a brain leading them or Michael decided to piss off the humans one last time) might play it smart.

Besides, wouldn't nuking a portal and making it bigger mean we get to pass more stuff through? Admittedly, we'd need airplanes that are radiation-proof to carry the troops through.

And in any case, I want to see someone or something get stomped by the HEA. Is that so wrong? :)
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

With all of this economic changes/etc, won't the second lifer States of Hell become more powerful than Earth states? They have access to more land, same amount of resources, more labour......
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Saint_007 wrote:the Angels (assuming they have somebody with half a brain leading them
That would be Jesus. Michael may simply decide where to drop the Host.
And if his intentions regarding Jesus are an indication, he will most likely drop them in the most fortified area he can think of.

This rises a question I've been asking myself: does Michael (or Yahweh) think the Bowls and the Beasts are wearing us down enough so that the Host may walk in uncontested and win the War?
Or that they are confident enough on the aforementioned wearing down so that they will portal in the Host directly from Heaven?
If so, when they portal in (and unless Heaven is better at Portal Kombat than Hell, which is implied many times throughout the books) we may get the so long belated Heavenmouth.

Another thing: where is Mike Wong? He has extremely valuable data, yet he has been keeping veeery quiet about it.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Don't expect it to be too easy. Heaven can field something like 100,000,000 angels for combat. That's one hundred MILLION beings capable of shouting down a military fighter jet or punching a hole in a building with their voice. If they were to attack a single city at once from close range (say, 3000 feet directly above) that city would be wiped out. Angels have the advantage of mobility over demons, and that counts for alot.
I wouldn't at all be suprised if we pulled a "The Big One" on heaven if we managed to open a portal and invade them first. Tactically, it would make the most sense. We don't have humans being dumped in there every time they die, thus making it unnecesary to preserve the place. Yes, a lot of humans that are currently in heaven will be killed (again), but that comes to my mind as a necesary evil. At this point, it seems that those on earth would have the right mindset for it; we fucking hate them, ya know? Plus there's the bonus of completely fucking any of Michael's plans, unless he plays some crazy speed chess to discourage us from frying the place.

Fighting the angelic host one on one seems far too risky, unless we can fight them on two fronts, i.e. from earth (considering that they will probably have to invade us first since we can't find the damn place), and straight from Hell. This poses the question, can second lifers survive in heaven just as they do Hell? I would imagine this to be true, and if it is, it opens up one "hell" of a large fighting force to pincer atttack the angelic host.
Pants?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Erra wrote:Fighting the angelic host one on one seems far too risky, unless we can fight them on two fronts, i.e. from earth (considering that they will probably have to invade us first since we can't find the damn place), and straight from Hell. This poses the question, can second lifers survive in heaven just as they do Hell? I would imagine this to be true, and if it is, it opens up one "hell" of a large fighting force to pincer atttack the angelic host.
I wouldn't expect many second lifers to volunteer to fight in Heaven. Demons, on the other hand... oh yeah. Give them the rifles and they'll cheerfully do the shock troop role.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

correct me if i'm wrong but i got the feeling that this story has 3 parts:
Armagedon
Pantheocide
Lords of War
????

is this true or fals???

the thing is i am hooked to this story so i'm wondering will my drug run out any time soon :lol: :lol:

oh i have a question : whats with the small countries not from the HEA such ass the balkan countries of Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo( :lol: ) and so on ????'

Keep up the good work Stuart
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Also remember, if you nuke an open portal, VERY bad things can happen.
The nuke-a-portal idea was already simulated back in Armageddon????, didn't work out for trying to close a portal.

Yes, Tandrax, those are the three story portions. As for the question about Capt. Michael Wong, USN -- he's probably already been debriefed, but all he could provide was tactical and visual data -- his Hornet on the other hand was what made the

At this time, PainRack, it will be a LONG time before the Hell states catch up to Earth. New Rome is pretty much the only one that stands a chance of doing so any time soon, and only because the HEA has let it... and already GEN Petraeus' granted authority over WMD release for use against Heaven was intended to minimize would-be "defectors" to New Rome. The thread over spartasman's... Salvation War fanfic discussed this in detail.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
ANTIcarrot
Redshirt

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Buritot wrote:I don't think the dead partners of Goldman-Sachs are in any legally justified position to demand pension since there are many precedents of regular people willing their worldly wealth to their second lifes which in turn acknowledges these being separate persons as well as the originals dying.
They might try changing the legal definition of death. It has been done before based upon changing medical knowledge. Brain/head transfers are not completely unprecidented in medical theory. Nor science fiction. They could make a case that they have 'moved to another country' rather than 'ceased to exist'; which is what death is supposed to mean. They also (potentially) have the financial clout to hire high-ticket lawyers and do things the complicated judicial way (and maybe even probono) rather than the easy way, which is what most normal people are stuck with. Of course becoming ex-pats this way would cause more economic and political restrictions, but the executives might prefer that set of rules to losing everything.

But yes, it would be very bad for everyone on Earth is the second-lifers got their way. But since when do most people care how much their happiness inconveniences other people? I fear any restristrictions the HEA imposes upon the upcoming 2nd life economies will in the long run be as effective as restrictions Britain tried to impose on the post-revolution America.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Whoa, I don't see why we should assume that there are 100 million angels as powerful as the handful of presumably elite units we've seen so far, such as the Whore of Babylon. If there were really 100 million angels of that power level, then they should have effortlessly crushed Satan's forces in their earlier war.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
MondoMage
Padawan Learner

Post by MondoMage »

Nematocyst wrote:
Saint_007 wrote:the Angels (assuming they have somebody with half a brain leading them
That would be Jesus.
Whom we haven't seen in person but from the descriptions we've seen comes off as something of a pot-head, at best. This doesn't mean that he might not have an excellent grasp of military tactics and such, but the feeling I got was that Jesus would much rather be popping mushrooms than leading the angelic host into battle.

My impression has always been that Michael knows that humanity *will* find a way into Heaven, and that he was just shuffling pieces around to put himself in the best possible position when that happens. He set up the concentration camp so that Belial would take the fall. He poured the bowls of wrath so that humanity would be well and fully pissed at Yaweh. He's got schemes within schemes running, all to make sure that some angels survive mankind's inevitable arrival. And to make sure that he's in a position to benefit from it.

Of course, there's that saying about "The best laid plans..."
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
Buritot wrote:I don't think the dead partners of Goldman-Sachs are in any legally justified position to demand pension since there are many precedents of regular people willing their worldly wealth to their second lifes which in turn acknowledges these being separate persons as well as the originals dying.
They might try changing the legal definition of death. It has been done before based upon changing medical knowledge. Brain/head transfers are not completely unprecidented in medical theory. Nor science fiction. They could make a case that they have 'moved to another country' rather than 'ceased to exist'; which is what death is supposed to mean. They also (potentially) have the financial clout to hire high-ticket lawyers and do things the complicated judicial way (and maybe even probono) rather than the easy way, which is what most normal people are stuck with. Of course becoming ex-pats this way would cause more economic and political restrictions, but the executives might prefer that set of rules to losing everything.

But yes, it would be very bad for everyone on Earth is the second-lifers got their way. But since when do most people care how much their happiness inconveniences other people? I fear any restristrictions the HEA imposes upon the upcoming 2nd life economies will in the long run be as effective as restrictions Britain tried to impose on the post-revolution America.
I think you've hit it on the head. I've been trying to tease out an idea of how to deal with this to avoid two sets of unintended consequences:
-On the one hand, you don't want to encourage euthanasia, suicide, etc. for social reasons (if nothing else). You want to avoid insurance companies having too much incentive to pull the plug early. You also don't want to create a situation where middle class people end up in Hell and are suddenly impoverished (or where people kill themselves to duck big debts, for example).
-On the other hand, you don't want to create a situation where the economy on Earth is stuck offering pension payments to people for 5000 years. 30 years is hard enough to support IRL; the burden for more is probably going to be untenable. Of course, pension plans are already in a broad enough decline...

To proffer a guess, I would expect that pension plans would probably come to contain a one-off death benefit, payable to the person when they get to Hell. You'd probably get a provision for early death as well. One could also see a government offering a limited version of this to people on the condition that they don't take other citizenship upon getting there (preventing a brain drain is always a good idea).

As to the Goldman scenario itself, I'd guess that if Goldman is smart, they'd offer the dead guys a portion of money they'd get over the ensuing thirty years as a lump-sum payment...enough to get them to go away, but less than the combination of legal fees, possible payments multiplied by the chance of those payments being forced on them, and time value of money involved in the suit (i.e. the ability to get their bonus this side of 2020) would cost them.

I don't think "perpetual obligations" are going to fly, by the way. That said, temporary obligations of some form are likely to be created in future contracts in lieu of permanent ones existing automatically (though enforcability is going to be another mess). The big sticking point is going to be contracts written prior to the liberation of Hell but still in force in some form which don't make provision for this stuff and which operated under a presumption that was quite clearly and plainly made false (i.e. that the dead can't exactly get back into communication with the living).

Finally, I'd say that you have a funny case of competing interests: Those alive now mostly have an arguable interest in having death redefined (as it will extend their benefits) so long as retroactive application is limited. Those not yet born have an interest in it not being redefined (as they'd be picking up the tab). Nobody wants to get stuck digging ditches for the next 200 years, after all, and voters have a funny way of voting themselves money from the public dole.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

MondoMage wrote: Whom we haven't seen in person but from the descriptions we've seen comes off as something of a pot-head, at best. This doesn't mean that he might not have an excellent grasp of military tactics and such, but the feeling I got was that Jesus would much rather be popping mushrooms than leading the angelic host into battle.
Me too, but this only shows how little we know of the Jesus of Heaven, or 'actual Jesus'.
MondoMage wrote: My impression has always been that Michael knows that humanity *will* find a way into Heaven, and that he was just shuffling pieces around to put himself in the best possible position when that happens. He set up the concentration camp so that Belial would take the fall. He poured the bowls of wrath so that humanity would be well and fully pissed at Yaweh. He's got schemes within schemes running, all to make sure that some angels survive mankind's inevitable arrival. And to make sure that he's in a position to benefit from it.
We can safely link Michael with the Myanmar-Thailand war and with the evacuation of Uriel. That was already explained in other posts, but I think enabling Uriel to strike further is enough to put Michael in a Most Wanted list.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Remeber how in Inglorious Basterds Landa strikes a deal to save his own hide? Mikey could still do so inspite of his atrocities.
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

food for thought...Jesus is the son of YHWH correct? he's also human, or at least can appear human enough to live out 30 or 40 years among humans without detection (barring miracles such as walking on water, healing the blind and lame and so on)
so what is he? angelic being? human? half-human/half-YHWH's species? I'd make the guess that Mary is literally his mother and that YHWH literally impregnated her without her knowledge. or somesuch creepy neo-perverted act. Jesus presumably has his own abilities passed on from dad. at a guess, he's much more powerful than the average angel. one could infer from that that Mikey is actually doing his best to make sure Jesus is kept safely stoned and out of the way....

come to that, here's an alternative theory. Jesus literally was a normal guy. he got the whole voices-in-head spiel like the demons were doing. and took it for what it was, YHWH speaking to him. he goes around preaching and some angels are on hand to perform the miracles while Jesus lays hands on people and looks like he's concentrating. he's told that he's going to die, but its ok cause he'll be taken to heaven. he's crucified, pierced with a spear and generally humiliated and upon reaching heaven decides the best thing all around is that he get stoned/high for the next few thousand years to blast away his sorrows. I'd assume therefore that Jesus is actually a second-lifer but in heaven rather than hell.

thoughts? personally I think the first idea rings closer to true for me.
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
PaperJack
Youngling

Post by PaperJack »

I have to ask: can the dead humans reproduce?
Even though hell is quite larger than Earth apparently, since each of its citizens can live millennia, won't they have a serious overpopulation problem on the long term ?
"I'm not a friggin' mercenary; I'm a capitalist adventurer!"
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

PaperJack wrote:I have to ask: can the dead humans reproduce?
Even though hell is quite larger than Earth apparently, since each of its citizens can live millennia, won't they have a serious overpopulation problem on the long term ?
As I understand it, no. They also can't get drunk, either.