Battle of the Hymn. (a second look.)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Knife wrote:RL's been grinding me down lately. Sorry, but just can't get into the mood. I do, however, have a good outline for the chapter and most of the kinks worked out, so it is just a matter of sitting down and typing away. Just not now. Again, sorry.
You have nothing to apologise for. Take as much time as necessary.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

*Plays the Jeopardy theme.*

:P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Just letting you know that you still have fans eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
-Sir James Dewar

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Rogue 9 wrote:*Plays the Jeopardy theme.*

Temjin wrote:Just letting you know that you still have fans eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
You can both fuck off and die. I thought he wrote a new chapter...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

darthdavid wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:*Plays the Jeopardy theme.*

Temjin wrote:Just letting you know that you still have fans eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
You can both fuck off and die. I thought he wrote a new chapter...
See what you started, Rogue?

Alright, alright. I get the hint.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Just out of curiousity, who else checks the fan-fiction forum at least once a day to see if Knife has posted a new chapter yet or not?

(Somebody had to post something, it was in danger of falling to the second page again.)
-Sir James Dewar

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

*saws temjin's right arm off with a dull butter knife* make me think there's a new chapter again and I'll get the left one too.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Well, I think that answered the question.

So much blood....
-Sir James Dewar

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Temjin you are an evil bastard.

MAY YOU BE CAST IN TO THE ETERNAL TORTURE PITS OF HELL!(TM) for making me think there was another chapter.

[Kirk]KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/Kirk]
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Agent Fisher wrote:Temjin you are an evil bastard.

MAY YOU BE CAST IN TO THE ETERNAL TORTURE PITS OF HELL!(TM) for making me think there was another chapter.

:oops: So if I say I'm actually three chapters into a new fic, you wouldn't kill me or lynch me or anything, would ya?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Knife wrote:

:oops: So if I say I'm actually three chapters into a new fic, you wouldn't kill me or lynch me or anything, would ya?
It depends. Are you leaving this one to rot? Or are you going to come back to it?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Agent Fisher wrote:
It depends. Are you leaving this one to rot? Or are you going to come back to it?
Oh, I'll come back to it, soon. I just write in bursts and those burst bounce around in various interests. I'm in a sci fi mood now, so I'm writting that.

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Temjin wrote:Just out of curiousity, who else checks the fan-fiction forum at least once a day to see if Knife has posted a new chapter yet or not?
Me too. 8)
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Knife wrote:

I won't. But I will ask you this, where might this fic be found? You write durn good and If I can't get any more of this fic for a while I'd like to see what else you have on the table...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

darthdavid wrote:

I won't. But I will ask you this, where might this fic be found? You write durn good and If I can't get any more of this fic for a while I'd like to see what else you have on the table...[/quote]

Not yet, but if your curious, I've got two threads in Pure Star Trek going for some good brain storming on the fic, so it'll give you an indication of what I'm doing.

I'll post some later. Still needs some work.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Knife, I would really, really like to see another coouple chapters before I return from Defending Freedom in the Johnston Atoll theater of Operations(tm).

Please?

*puppy dog look*
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Lonestar wrote:Knife, I would really, really like to see another coouple chapters before I return from Defending Freedom in the Johnston Atoll theater of Operations(tm).

Please?

*puppy dog look*
I hate you.
-Sir James Dewar

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Temjin wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Knife, I would really, really like to see another coouple chapters before I return from Defending Freedom in the Johnston Atoll theater of Operations(tm).

Please?

*puppy dog look*
I hate you.
I hate both of you. But particularly Lonestar.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Agent Fisher wrote:
Temjin wrote:

Please?

*puppy dog look*
I hate you.
I hate both of you. But particularly Lonestar.
I hate all of you.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I don't hate any of you, that would be UNchristian. I do, however, wish you acne of the scrotum/taint.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Oops, wrong line. I mean...

LONESTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Stop making me think there's more stuff in this thread or all of you will be recieving 4 tons of antimatter each for christmas. Sans containment feild.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Merry Christmas. :D

Chapter 7

The Dark Night

All of that afternoon, the Morlock army sat just outside of the City. Unmoving, and quiet, the creatures stood in formation as if expecting something. Or perhaps just waiting.

The loses on the wall were terrible. The worst yet in this war. Coyote’s company had lost twenty Watchmen, among them, the valiant Frigimagi. Perinquus had faired better but had still sustained casualties. My own company, who just this morning had numbered a hundred, was a scant sixty two men. Almost a third of my Watchmen had fallen in battle between the Eastern Approaches and the Battle of the Wall.

The enemy seemed content to sit outside of our wall, so as mid afternoon came and went; the decision to rotate our men on the wall was made. Lances took turns on the wall and others rested, ate, and prepared themselves for the next assault.

I spent this time running here and there, taking care of business. Ensuring the welfare of my troops and shoring up defenses. I conferred with Rob and with the Commander, Jeggs. I even spent time up at the Great Hall with the Council and afterward, stole some time with my wife and sons.

The attitude of the four hundred some odd civilians who were not under arms, was unsettled. They had begun to fortify the Great Hall and weapon racks littered the interior. The Council was there, awaiting reports from the wall and many were given. All the Command Staff gave reports of what they saw on the Wall and I did notice many a stare as I related the tale of Frigimagi, RogueIce, Lonestar, and myself and the monstrous Morlocks demise by the Home Guard Captain, Stravo.

Mike took the news well as did most of the Council, but looks of worry were abound in the Great Hall as I finished my report.

“We will never again venture from this place, will we Captain?” The quite voice of Fey asked.

Her large dark eyes stole my resolve, and I swear I about cried at that point. There, in front of the council and a large portion of its citizenry. I steadied myself, looking out upon the men and women assembled there. Standing behind Fey was Kernal, always present and always comforting.

Behind them, Mayabird and her mate. Vympel, Ghost Rider and Ossus stood with questioning looks. Behind them even, were the Home Guardsmen of Necronlord, Aya, Lagmonster and Dalton. All the folk of the city seemed to press upon me with the asking of Fey’s question.

“No, my Lady, you shall again go out and be at peace.” I said, choking back sobs. “We are not done yet upon the wall. Nor will we until help arrives.” I continued.

“Well said, Captain.” Interjected Rob.

The tall solider stood off to the side in his dark cloak, like the rest of the Watch, was covered in dust and Morlock blood. “We still have a lot of fight left in us. These bastards will bleed yet before they enter our halls.”

“Which reminds me, Councilman Sir Nitram? Is your batch of wizardry done?” I said plainly.

The lean and solemn Councilman grinned, the first I’ve seen upon him in many a day, and he replied, “Of course Captain. My personal blend, and in quantities I think you’ll enjoy. Or at least, the enemy will enjoy. I’ve taken the liberty of having Commander Red’s men take it to the Wall.”

“Captain, if I may.” Said InnerBrat to me, “Why have the Morlocks stopped all attacks this morning?”

The question quieted the crowd in the Hall and I took my time thinking upon the question.

“Lady,” I began, “The Morlocks, from all we’ve seen, are nocturnal. I believe that this last morning was what they would consider a daring midnight raid. When the night falls, they will be in their element and will attack, I think.”

“Commander?” Asked Wong, taking precedent.

Jeggs turned to the leader of our civilization, “Yes, my Lord?”

A sad look appeared on Mike’s face as he asked Jeggs, “I know you never expected such numbers in the enemy and I do not blame you for this disaster. Do you expect to hold out until the Westerners arrive? In all honesty?”

Our Commander replied almost immediately. “My Lord, moral is still strong in the Watch. We have not expended our surprises yet, nor have my troops expended their virtue. One way or another, Lord, we will hold.” He said with pride.

“And if you shall fall? What then?” Mike said, bluntly.

Jeggs straightened a formidable sight in battle dress, Imperator hung from his side and his black mail and leather made him appear a wraith in the growing shadows of the early evening.

“Lord, if we fail, you and these men and women will stand here. If help does not come, you will have to make your stand here. I do not know what you wish to hear, but this is what must be done.”

If nothing else, that sobered up the room and all fell quite. I took my leave soon after and went to Shep’s armory and spent time with my wife and son. They were as fortified as could be inside the armory and my son gave his word that nothing would befall his mother and even the eccentric Shep himself gave vows as such.

It was here, that me and my wife shared the last of the late rays of the evening sun. We stood outside of the iron works, the heat of the sun warming our faces as we talked of small nothings. Quite chatter of unimportant things that when viewed in context of the looming threat, seemed insane. We both shed tears and gave many kisses in that small frame of time.

As I look back upon it, with the help of time, I remember it as such a startling moment. A frozen moment of time and love. All important things were said with language other than spoken words. All truths were shared by stolen glances, loves and worries laid bare.

I my long life, I’ve seen many a wonder, but this moment stands out beyond all else. A pure moment between me and my loving wife. If neither I nor she lived pasted this time, it would have been our goodbyes. Our proclamation of our combined love. As it was, it was our expressed devotion to each other, in this world, the last or the next. We were one.

It was here, in this tender moment, that I first heard what we would later call the War Thrums of the enemy. I stood there holding my love, and a deep sound arose over the wall. At first, I swear it was a drum, or many. But as it turned out, it was the heavy fall of thousands of Morlock maces and war hammers. They fell with a steady rhythm, an unnerving rhythm, and broke the lover’s embrace of me and my wife.

Shortly there after, the young Watchmen, Consequences found me and bid me to the wall, saying, “Sir, the Morlocks are on the move. All is ready, but your presence is required on the wall.”

I followed the young Watchmen, only stealing one glance back at my wife as the young Watchman and I wound our way through the City, dodging Home Guard units, runners, and fellow Watchmen as they sprang to life with the new threat of the enemy outside our gates.

We bound up the stair of the Gate, and there I found Commander Jeggs and Sergeant Major Wilson. On reaching them, I asked, “What goes on here?”

In response, the Commander simply pointed out to the enemy. The large dark mass of Morlock raiders stood in the growing shadows of the evening and an evil growl rumbled through out the formations, in time with the heavy booming of the War Thrums.

“Where do you wish me, Commander?” I spoke.

An anguished look came over the Commander’s face, a brief look of understanding, then of hard willed knowing. “West flank, Captain. Your Lance is too few on men. Join with the Home Guard Captain Marina.”

“The Battle Maiden?” I replied, slightly surprised at the assignment.

“Her unit is untested, true. But I do not doubt her ability to lead. Do you?” He returned.

I looked shocked, “No Commander.” I came to attention. “I will take my troops to their place.”

I took my leave of the Wall and descended to the ground. Calling out to Lonestar, Wilkens, and Ming, I gathered my men and took them to the Western Wall. There I mingled with the Duchess, and her Sergeants, Rogue 9 and Valdemar.

And it seemed that we did not have too long to wait. The sun was set, and only one of the moons came out from behind the horizon to shed a soft, gray light upon the battle field. Off to the east, scattered clouds loomed.

With her usual poetic flare, Captain Marina saw my gaze upon the coming showers and said, “Ah, well at least they will wash away the dust and blood of battle.”

“Aye,” I replied. “But fire will be at a premium tonight.”

It was with this last bit of conversation that a large shout exploded over the valley and the large Morlock horde advanced as one upon our city. But we were ready for them. During the long, quite day, the men and women of the Watch had brought up the City’s Onagers. Catapults of a simple design, but powerful and with a large range. The University had assisted in their construction and they had only completed the first eight when news of the Morlock army had first been brought, only a few days ago.

The Onagers were placed on the south wall, four on the east, and four on the west end and as the Morlocks advanced, Watchmen were loading the special ordnance.

Another present from the University, Nitram had developed for us Greek fire, a terror weapon, to use against the hoard. The weapons were ready, as the enemy approached.

Standing on top of the wall, next to the Gate, Jeggs raised his sword Imperator and cried out “Loose!”

The harsh Thwap echoed around the wall and eight flaming spheres streaked into the night sky. Just the sight of the fire balls was enough to pause the Morlock charge, and the gangly creatures stood there seemingly fascinated by the phenomenon, watching their doom come in at them.

When the fire rounds hit, they exploded into the ranks of the creatures and the light of the blast transformed the early evening to day. Howls and pain and hatred exploded from the enemy even as the burning fire engulfed the forward formations.

But this wasn’t the end of the enemy. From behind the stalled attack, new formations of Morlocks ran into view. The Morlocks seemed to commit all their forces and a black mass of enemy swarmed in towards us.

The Onagers fired twice more before the enemy reached the southern wall. Twice more did large swaths of the brutal creatures flare up in death and horrible screams sounded across the valley before the enemy was underneath their range.

It was then that the dreaded bows of the Night Watch sounded out in the red glare of the burning Morlocks and scores of creatures died. But the Morlocks, it seemed, were done dying by them selves.

As formations of brutes reached the base of the wall, their primitive crossbows sang out in the night and many a Watchman fell from the arrows.

Quickly, the Watch brought their Blackwood shields to bare, and repelled the enemy archery but in doing so, lost their ability to use our own bows. The tower ballista's still sang out death and horror, as Perinquus’ troops manned the towers and were cutting large holes in the enemy with them.

Then came the ladders again, and the call to the wall and to unsheathe swords. I stood there on the west wall with the Home Guard Captain and watched by the dying light of burning Morlocks as my brethren braced themselves for the coming battle.

At first, I couldn’t see the Morlocks as they came over the wall, only the rush of various Watchmen as they assaulted the creatures. But soon, enough ladders came into place and breaks in the defenses appeared and I could plainly see Morlocks in small groups upon the wall.

“Should we go to their aide?” Asked the Battle Maiden.

I pondered quickly, scanned the wall and the courtyard below. Home Guard phalanxes were moving into position below, in case the Morlocks gained control of the wall.

“No.” I replied. “If they gain the wall in sufficient numbers and Perinquus is forced to move back, then we will engage. Though,”

I pointed over to Wilkens and made a quick motion with my hand and the Sergeant moved off with his lance and they quickly grabbed their bows and moved towards the southwestern tower. “We should reinforce this corner. Stand ready Marina, the battle is still fresh.”

I left her there and moved off with Wilkens towards the corner tower to view the Morlock army. As I arrived, Wilkens men were already dumping volleys into the hoard and with a small gasp; I saw the black host in its entirety as it welled up and down outside the wall.

The stench of the burned and dead made my eyes water and I watched the enemy cluster at the foot of our defenses. It was so, for countless hours that night. The black masses of the enemy attacking, using their crude bows to suppress ours, and then using their ladders to try to breach our wall.

Perinquus’ men held tight and strong. Black wraiths themselves, in their garb, always in the thick of the fight, always rallying to throw the enemy from the wall. Their Captain had them retain their Blackwood shields, so little wounded came from the Morlock archery. Coyote’s lance and mine traded fire with the Morlocks again and again until I stated to worry that we would run out of arrows.

Twice during the night, large portions of the line upon the wall were breached. Herds of Morlocks breaking the valiant line of Perinquus and his Watchmen. Twice, Coyote’s and my troops rushed to sealed the breach.

The creatures were smashed between the reforming line of Perinquus and the approaching wall of my Watchmen. We must have slaughtered a thousand Morlocks that night, and yet still more seemed to spill out over the top of the wall onto our waiting swords.

It was when at last we repelled the second of such breaches, and long into the night, that the thunder began. I took me minutes to figure that it was the weather and not the War Thrums of the enemy. I do not think I was truly convinced until the first rain drop splattered on my shoulder.

As the rain fell on both of the armies in the valley, a small reprieve spread through the combatants. I lifted my head into the rain and felt the cold water awaken me and refreshed me. As I stood there, more thunder echoed across the valley and distantly I heard the cries of the Watch as some new disaster took shape.

I did not want to return to the battle, I wished to stay there, staring up into the heavens and allow this rain to wash away the blood, the pain, and the worry. But knowing my duty, I pulled myself away from the reverie as another bout of thunder sounded and I was amazed to find it was not thunder at all.

The Morlocks had brought up Blackwood stumps, bounded together, and the make-shift ram was hammering at our gate. The Watch scrambled to the wall and launched volley after volley of arrows at the Morlocks, but the living creatures just shoved aside the dead and continued to bash at our gates with their ram.

If not for the rain, that I had found so refreshing just before, we could have lit the ram afire and killed even more of the enemy. But it would seem that the weather favored the Morlocks this night.

Rob called out from the south wall to reinforce the gate and I took his call. “Marina, ready your phalanx.” I told her and moved off to the stair calling my Watchmen to me.

We ran for the stair, a steady boom, boom, echoing through out the city as the ram tore into the gate. It was when we reached the bottom of the stair and just as I was organizing my shield wall that the heavy wood of the gate splintered and buckled.

Stravo’s Home Guard phalanx was already in position in front of the gate. The large man urging his men to stand steady, Tomahawk raised in the soft light of the night. On the east side of the courtyard I saw Coyotes’ men forming a line like mine.

Marina had formed her phalanx and moved off to my left to reinforce Stravo’s unit just as the gate gave up the last of its strength and fell.

Through the dark entry way came a stream of gnarly creatures. No formation, no tactics, just screaming, mad with rage, brutal creatures’ intent of wiping us from the history of this planet.

Stravo’s phalanx took the assault head on and tore into he disorganized mass of enemy, Marina in quick support. I could not see Coyote’s people over the swarm of Morlocks, but my own Watchmen marched into battle.

The enemy had dared to invade our home. They had taken the Eastern Approaches. Hurt and killed countless of our brothers. Disgraced our valley with their wicked selves. Now they dare to enter our home.

The faces of my Watchmen were masks of terrible revenge, as the black line of my troops advance on our mortal enemies.

The Blackwood spears of mine, Stravo’s, and Marina’s formations ripped through the creatures, but the sheer mass of enemy coming through the gate made us loose ground. We hacked and fought and shoved to no avail.

Reinforcements came out of the gate towers, and Rob himself, ran and attempted to close the broken gates, to stem the tide of the enemy.

I saw him and Wicked Pilot, along with Bean, fight their way to the broken gate and heave upon it. The broken gate began to move, but every time it budged, the Watchmen had to abandon their attempt and fight off more enemies.

Marina and her phalanx dealt a devastating blow to the rushing enemy, and it gave me a chance to shift my forces to the south to support Rob and his valiant efforts.

More Watchmen came out of the tower and now a cadre of thirty of so Watchmen hacked at the Morlocks as others tried to close the shattered gate. The enemy surged again, not to be denied their victory, and broke the formation protecting Rob, Bean and Wicked.

A Morlock snatched up a fallen spear from a dead Watchman and hurled it towards Rob. The Sergeant Major never saw it coming until the dreaded weapon pierced him and he fell.

A collective gasp sounded through out our ranks and then war cries of pure rage and the Watchmen rallied to save our CSM. Marina’s ordered her own charge and the men and women of the Home Guard rushed to our aide.

Beside me as I ran into death, the young Guardsman, Rogue9, scooped up a sword from the dead and plunged into battle along with Ming, Wilkens and me. The young Guardsman proved adept with his new found weapon, as he tore into he enemy. Slashing and stabbing any Morlock who dared come near him.

We fought the Morlocks back, not with weight of numbers, or with superior tactics, but with pure savagery. We killed every creature that came near us and bore deep into their ranks, desperately trying to reach not only Rob but those few who were still alive around him.

The wave of death that was my small company and the members of the Home Guard, who rushed with us, made it to the gate and annihilated the Morlocks who choose to stand and fight. Marina, with a war cry, dug her heels in and attempted to close the gate. Her men, hearing her cry joined her and as the Watch repelled the Morlocks still trying to gain entry into the City, the Home Guard closed and sealed the gate.

As the gate slammed shut, members of Perinquus’s and Coyote’s and various other Home Guard units rushed to fortify them. I and the troops from my company and Marina’s just stood there gasping for air. We had plunged into the very heart of the Morlock hell and had made it out again. But at what cost?

I made it a point to thank everyone of the Home Guard who charged with us, especially the young Rogue 9 who above anyone else, had slaughtered more than his fair share of the enemy in the charge that night.

The roar of the enemy behind the gate lessened as it seemed the enemy had had enough for the time being. That was fine for the tired and battle weary troops behind the wall. We took stock of the dead and wounded. Rob’s body was taken up to the Great Hall with the rest of the casualties and I took to the wall and found Jeggs to report.

The Morlock army had fallen back to where they had spent the day previous. Out of range of our archery and Onagers. I could hear them more than see them in the dark night. I had not noticed, but the rain had ceased during the desperate battle at the gate. The sparse clouds had moved on west over the forests and the night was alive with the twinkling of stars.

It was here that Sir Nitram found myself, Perinquus and the Commander. We told him of the losses and of the fall of Rob and he himself said he came with bad news.

“Wong is dead.” He stated simply, though tears welled up in his eyes as he spoke.

“Morlock raiders slipped through your line while you fought. They attacked the Great Hall and we threw them back but at the cost of our leader.” He finished.

We stood there in the dark, quiet for a long time, and all hope seemed to have vanished. The Home Guard, the Night Watch, all under half of their strength now. Rob dead, and now our civilizations leader. Even if we some how survived this war, I thought at the time, what would be left?

It was there that I stood, blood from various wounds dripping off of me, dirt and gore from the slain enemy shrouding me in dark temper that I heard a soft sound coming from behind me.

It was so out of context with the sight of death all around me that at first I had no idea what the sound was. I turned to my left to gaze back into the City to discover the source of the sound and as I faced the east, a warm ray of morning sun stretched out from the horizon and touched my face.

As the sun rise embraced me, I realized what the soft sound was. After all the fighting, the death, the members of the City still emerged from the Great Hall and into the courtyards and sang. Fey, Zaia, my wife, and many others and a soft melody rose out of the depths of the city and again I felt hope.

It was Christmas.

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

We need a jaw drop emoticon...
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Wow.

That was your best chapter yet.
-Sir James Dewar