Scars of Mustafar (COMPLETED 1/14/09)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Agricultural_Corps

the AgriCorps is one branch of several in the Jedi Service Corps. I believe it was first used in the Jedi Apprentice series because Obi Wan Kenobi was about to "wash out" just before he was selected by Qui Gonn Jinn.

Its been used in at least a couple of EU books set during the Clone Wars, Dark Rendezvous had Scout working as hard as she could to become a Padawan so that she would nto be sent to the AgriCorps, While Dark Lord established that Jambe and Nam were part of the AgriCorps and mentioned nothing else of it.

Palpatine and Vader made use of some of the old Serivce Corps members as well after the purge.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

FA Xerrik wrote:Anakin is cold as ice, but I guess that's the Dark Side for you. Now we find out if Vos can move fast enough to get off Telos ahead of Skywalker... I guess it all depends on that blizzard. Good developments from this chapter.
Need I remind you of a certain Jedi Master who is also enroute to Telos in a very large former Trade Federation ship?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Nice Chapter, Fanboy. Though after previously noting Vader cannot be trusted, Tholme then falls for the first story Vader trots out?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Crazedwraith wrote:Nice Chapter, Fanboy. Though after previously noting Vader cannot be trusted, Tholme then falls for the first story Vader trots out?
A good point, I was trying to put Tholme into a corner where he had no option but to go along with what Vader was asking, but I could have done a better job of limiting his options. Tholme basically had to choose between not telling Vader and letting Scout get turned to the Dark Side and the suffering that would happen in return and Vader getting what he wants anyway, or Tholme giving up Vos to Vader and basically getting the same result but with the chance that others, including Scout might be spared. In the end, Tholme made a bad decision, but even though Anakin is generally being an evil prick to him Tholme doesn't realize that he's dealing with a Sith at this point.

EDIT:

A little dialogue was added prior to Tholme's revealing of Telos to help rectify this situation. One day perhaps it will be fixed up but for now I am pleased. Thanks CW.

I had to finish him off in order for the story to progress and I didn't think Tholme was that important to delay his fate. Right now Anakin and Obi Wan are heading towards Telos and bringing the big guns with them and that's where this story needs to be right now. Blades are going to cross soon.

Sean Mulligan
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Mulligan »

Whie wasn't killed by Vader. He was the kid who was killed by clone troopers in front of Bail Organa in Episode III. Does Vader actually believe the stuff about the Jedi being traitors and that they were trying to take over the Republic? He should know better then to believe his own propaganda.
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

Sean Mulligan wrote:Whie wasn't killed by Vader. He was the kid who was killed by clone troopers in front of Bail Organa in Episode III. Does Vader actually believe the stuff about the Jedi being traitors and that they were trying to take over the Republic? He should know better then to believe his own propaganda.
Wrong, Mr. Mulligan. Whie was killed at the gates by Lord Vader himself, before killing Jedi Master Swordsman Cin Drallig. Zett Jukassa is the Padawan you are talking about.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sean Mulligan wrote:Whie wasn't killed by Vader. He was the kid who was killed by clone troopers in front of Bail Organa in Episode III.
Dargos beat me to it.
Does Vader actually believe the stuff about the Jedi being traitors and that they were trying to take over the Republic? He should know better then to believe his own propaganda.
He believed it in episode III didn't he? And even though now he's in the position where he knows more of the truth he still harbors a great hate for the Jedi. Especially after Obi Wan went to Mustafar specifically to assinate him, and now in this timeline with the implication that it was a Jedi who assassinated his wife.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 28: Dangerous Prey

Obi Wan had spent his time in hyperspace reviewing as much of the data as he could to try and piece together what had happened. A public manhunt was now being undertaken for the fugitive Jedi Quinlan Vos, and that search was being led by none other than Anakin Skywalker.

“Rarely did I ever envy Master Vos, and now is definitely not one of those times…”

The Jedi Master realized that Vos was an easy scapegoat, and that whoever truly organized the attack would have had little trouble convincing Anakin that it was Vos who was behind it all. It didn’t take Obi Wan very long to place Palpatine as the most likely suspect and it had heartbreaking connotations. Obi Wan still loved Anakin like a brother, even though he was now sworn to defeat him no matter the cost.

There was little time to dwell on the situation for Obi Wan who, in his guise as the Rebel General Ben Cody, entered the bridge and was greeted with salutes from the bridge crew. After returning the salute he was approached by Captain Slayke.

“General Cody we’re now approaching the Telos system. Want us to take the Hymn into orbit?”

“No need. I’ll take one of our shuttles over myself. I don’t want to cause a panic for anyone on the planet. Hold a position here at the edge of the system and keep a close eye on all of the local hyperspace vectors. It’s not a popular system, but it used to be, and there’s a lot of ways in and out of this area on just about every astronavigation chart in the galaxy. It’s a safe bet the Empire knows just about all of them.”

“Fair enough,” The Captain acknowledged, obviously a bit disappointed that he wouldn’t be able to help much, “but at least let us give you some proper transportation,” he said with a devious grin.

It was a short trip to the Battlehymn’s main hangar, and Obi Wan liked what he saw. Slayke was unable to see Obi Wan’s face but could easily tell that Obi Wan was impressed at the ship that sat before them. A gleaming jet black version of a droid gunship, bristling with firepower and boasting a pair of engines Obi Wan recognized as larger than what appeared on the standard model.

“Now that’s what I call ‘proper transportation.’” Kenobi deadpanned.

Always happy to help Slayke walked over in front of the craft and gave it a cursory visual inspection. “What d’ya say General, think this will get you over to Telos and back?”

“Indeed, but I do have one concern, just where am I supposed to sit? I was under the impression that Droid Gunships didn’t carry crew.”

Slayke responded quickly. “They don’t, Baktoid never made a bucket fit for anything organic. This is a Haor-Chall Mechanized Assault Flyer.”

Obi Wan recognized the name. “I’ve heard of them, but weren’t they phased out early in the war? Something about not being well armored enough.”

“That’s right General, but this here’s not your standard model. You ever hear of a guy who went by the name of Ado Eemon?”

Obi Wan replied in the negative, so Slayke continued. “Ruthless son of a Rancor that guy, he was the de facto authority on Caramm V when they joined up with the Seps, completely trashed the entire world setting up droid foundries and shipyards. Anyways, Battlehymn here was part of Caramm’s defense fleet up until the end when the droids were deactivated. A few of our guys managed to salvage the ship before the Empire came in and smashed Eemon’s little fiefdom to pieces.”

“That’s a fine story but it still doesn’t tell me anything about what I need to know.”

“Hmmm? Oh yeah…right…sorry about that General. We peeled every bit of information we could out of the ship’s memory. This was actually Ado Eemon’s customized personal courier, a prototype built to his own specifications. He needed a courier armed like a gunship but capable of hauling him and his cronies around, so he had a couple of the brains over at Baktoid implement some of their work from the standard Droid Gunships onto an old MAF. Should be able to fit three people in there, four if you have to, and you don’t need to worry about flying because the droid brain handles all of that. About the only thing she’s missing is a hyperdrive and a pilot.”

“Well here’s hoping I won’t need a hyperdrive then. As for the piloting, I think I can manage this myself.” Obi Wan said as he climbed into the cabin to view the inside. In the back of his head Obi Wan felt a dull sensation, recognizable as a subtle warning from the Force that danger was present, although not imminent. After a few seconds he turned around to face Slayke.

“Let’s get her ready for departure Captain. I’d rather get this over with as soon as possible.”

Still hours away from his destination, Darth Vader, in his guise as Supreme commander Anakin Skywalker, decided to rest. After handing over temporary command to the Line Captain that had been assigned to Anakin’s flagship, the newly renamed Devastator , he retired to his private quarters.

Devastator had been permanently assigned to the Supreme Commander, and Admiral Terrinald Screed had supplied the other two ships in the task force, procured from the Imperial Center Defense Fleet under his own direct control. The twin Venator-class Star Destroyers were in the midst of being phased out, but Vader eagerly accepted them. The older Star Destroyers carried more fighters and support craft than the newer editions, and carried squadrons of the hyperspace capable ARC-170’s, which would greatly aid in long range search operations.

Of course if everything went according to plan, there would not bee much in the way of searching. Vader had his target, Telos IV, and he felt confident that he would arrive in time to deal with the Jedi once and for all.

Now, alone in his chambers, Vader mourned.

For the only the second time since he had felt Padme’s death, Darth Vader cried. His hands pressed against his face to hold back the tears but could not. That first time he had done so was in the heat of battle with Kar Vastor, but those had been tears of passion and anger, shed due to the overwhelming emotions he had faced as he brought to the full power of the Dark Side to bear.

These tears were different; they were cold and heavy with despair. Vader had not yet wrapped his mind around the concept of living the rest of his life without Padme, and with that reality staring him in the face as he threw his entire being into his revenge; there was little he could do to deny his sorrow.

He had the children, and he was determined to be a good father. He had his military position, and he was determined to bring order to the galaxy. But he didn’t have what he wanted most, the person he had sacrificed everything to protect. He had quite literally sacrificed the entire galaxy for her, and would have done so again repeatedly if necessary, but in the end his devotion had been for naught.

Raising the children and protecting the Empire would have to wait; all that mattered now was Vader’s revenge. Vader released his face from his hands as he repressed the tears and attempted to regain his lost composure, but was stopped by a familiar sounding voice…his own.

“You didn’t love her…”

It was his own voice, but it wasn’t Vader. Rather, it was Anakin Skywalker, haunting the back of his mind as Vader had done to him before emerging as the dominant personality.

“Of course I loved her!” The Sith Lord protested. “She meant everything to me!”

“Wrong Vader. She meant everything to me; to you she’s just another way of continuing your vendetta with the Jedi. You’re only grieving now because you aren’t absorbed in the search for Quinlan Vos and are faced with the fact that you are living a lie.”

”You’re the lie!” Vader angrily countered. “You were the one who acted against your own desires underneath the heel of the Jedi or most of your life! You were the one who had to hide his feelings because you were afraid of being discovered.”

Anakin Skywalker was undeterred and replied calmly yet forcefully. “You are the one who hides his persona behind MY name, and also the one who is using MY wife as justification for this hunt of yours. Padme didn’t fall in love with Darth Vader; she fell in love with Anakin Skywalker.”

The comment enraged Vader, who used the force to wreak havoc on the furniture in his quarters, hurling them at his unseen adversary. “Anakin Skywalker couldn’t protect her! I did what I had to do!”

As soon as he said it, Vader immediately regretted it, because he knew exactly what Anakin was going to say next.

“And where were you when she needed your so-called protection the most? Where were you when she died?”

Vader let out a terrible scream, he howled until his lungs emptied and burned from the lack of oxygen. Anakin did not relent.

“You think that you destroyed me, along with the rest of your past when she died. You think that, because deep down Vader, you believe that with her gone, that there was nothing left to tie you to your true self. You think that without Padme your transformation into a Sith is complete, but you’re wrong. I’ll always be a part of you Vader, just as you were always a part of me.”

The idea of Anakin Skywalker haunting his consciousness for the rest of his days sickened Vader to the point of nausea, and the Dark Lord clutched at his stomach as a result. “I’ll just kill you again, and I’ll keep on killing you until you stay gone!” Vader defiantly remarked.

“You can’t kill me without killing yourself. Our destinies are one.”

The voice trailed off into nothingness and Vader felt the queasiness in his gut subside. He spat on the floor in disgust. Even though Vader had emerged as the dominant personality, he still had a long way to go before eliminating Skywalker from his self altogether.

Vader was no longer in the mood for a respite. He made his way back to the bridge of the Star Destroyer, his eyes were swollen and it was evident that he was not in the best of moods. But Vader knew that no one would dare to say anything. Those few that would not empathize with Vader’s trauma would stay silent for fear of inviting the Supreme Commander’s temper upon them.

“Captain Vedij, status report.” He said coolly.

Vedij, Line Captain of the current task force tagged as “Death Squadron” and a Veteran of several naval engagements during the Clone War, motioned towards the crewman operating the nearest sensor display. A holographic display of the Telos system emerged before Vader’s eyes as Vedij began his report.

“General Skywalker, we are advancing according to schedule. We will arrive at Telos shortly. I’ve taken the liberty of ordering our ships to come out of hyperspace at the fringe of the system and approach the planet quietly under the cover of the abundance of ancient battle debris in the system. We should be able to approach largely unnoticed. Any Jedi facility on that world must be too small in order to have detection equipment strong enough to discern our ships’ signatures from the wreckage.”

“Excellent work Captain, you have done well. Put all ships on active alert” Vader praised, quite satisfied with his subordinate’s work. Never one to stay seated, Vader stood above the crew pits and stared towards the main viewport. The normally transparent view was currently covered for the duration of hyperspace travel, but with the Force it was easy for Vader to look past the screen and into the emptiness of space, and through that emptiness, Vader could sense the presence of Anakin Skywalker, still whispering dischord in his ear. Vader filled his mind with self hatred and anger, allowing his darkness to consume the light in his heart.

“I don’t have time to spend on such weakness. I will deal with it as soon as I’m finished with the Jedi.”

As the snowstorm intensified, so did Quinlan Vos. Unable to communicate with Khaleen, Vos was forced into the company of Shryne and the Padawans in order to keep his mind focused on something other than nagging worry. Roan Shryne welcomed it much more than the Padawans, who were subject to sparring sessions insisted upon by Vos. Vos was far from a lenient instructor when it came to swordsmanship and by the end of their session, both Jambe Lu and Nam Poorf sported modest collections of bruises on their skin and singe marks on their clothing.

Shryne used his respite in a vain attempt to monitor air and space traffic in the system. The ancient equipment used in the Enclave’s construction was quite robust in its design, but not immune to the effects of wind and cold. A more powerful array would have easily penetrated the inclement weather, but would have stood out far too much for what was supposed to be a secret location.

About the only function available to Shryne at the moment was communication, but since Shryne had no one to communicate with, there was no need to utilize that feature. Vos had attempted to contact his snowbound lover and child, but her small handheld device was unable to cope with the weather.

The Jedi Master did not know if his dedication was based on a whim of the Force, his sense of duty, or perhaps just desperate hope that the silence would be broken with good news from someone like Master Tholme. Vigilant, but not entirely optimistic, Shryne stood from the console and decided he could take a short break and look for something to eat.

He was only a couple of meters away from his seat when a proximity alert began sounding, and although he knew better, Shryne almost swore that the alarm was scolding him as if to say “I told you so.” Looking over the readouts on the control panel, Shryne saw that the Enclave was receiving an incoming transmission. Another alert was sounding as well, whoever was broadcasting the message had taken the liberty of remotely accessing the hangar’s main doors and was preparing to land. Shryne was suspicious at first, considering the possibility of an Imperial trap. But he could sense no danger in the Force, and all signs pointed to the newcomer being a Jedi, one of sufficient rank to know about the hidden Telos Enclave. Eager to learn the truth of his guest’s identity, Shryne picked up the panel’s communications handset.

“Unknown ship, identify yourself.” Shryne requested.

“Unknown ship, identify yourself.” asked the Jedi over the comm.

Obi Wan wasn’t entirely sure how to respond and he had no idea as to how the Jedi would react to the presence of a Separatist Gunship landing in their hangar, and he did not want to broadcast his true identity on the off hand chance that the Empire was listening in. He took a deep breath to summon his composure and picked up the receiver.

“Jedi Enclave, my name is Ben Cody and my ship is an undesignated model of Separatist Gunship. I represent certain, shall we say…anti-Imperial interests that are concerned with your well being.” Obi Wan exhaled, satisfied with his response.

“Is there some reason that someone concerned with our well being would show up so unexpectedly? Do you have any good reason for us to trust you? How did you even know of this place? The voice sounded skeptical, but Obi Wan did not find that surprising in the least, not after what the Jedi had been through since the war’s end.

“How I came about my knowledge isn’t important. What’s important is that there’s been an incident on Coruscant, the Jedi amnesty offer has been revoked.”

“…the Jedi amnesty offer has been revoked.”

Shryne cringed; the Enclave had not been able to tap into holonet broadcasts for some time. “What kind of incident?” he asked. It was almost a demand more than a question, but the faceless person on the other side of the comm did not seem to mind.

“All of the Jedi who accepted the offer are now dead. Their skyhook was destroyed by the Empire after the Jedi were implicated in the assassination of the Imperial Diplomats scheduled to meet with them. Right now the Empire is out looking for the Jedi they believe to be most responsible.”

“And who might that be?” Shryne inquired, still undecided as to whether or not to allow this unknown individual access to the Enclave.

“Master Quinlan Vos. If he’s there then we need to evacuate him from the system as fast as we can. I have a ship waiting in orbit to take us beyond the Empire’s reach but we need to leave soon.”

Ben Cody had just dropped a proton bomb of surprise. He could not feel any ill intent in the stranger’s motives with the Force, but he did sense that there was something the stranger was not saying about his own identity that made Shryne nervous. Still, if Cody was telling the truth, he couldn’t afford to deny him access.

“I’ll make sure there’s room in the hangar for you, but the weather is brutal right now. If you need help landing….”

“I appreciate the help Enclave but I have everything under control.”

“I appreciate the help Enclave but I have everything under control.”

Obi Wan ended his broadcast and began the delicate process of navigating the snowstorm with the Force. He was grateful that he had been given permission to land. Even though as a member of the Jedi Council he could have given himself access at his own discretion but he did not want to provoke whatever Jedi who might still be alive into a frightened response.

He decreased his altitude and began his final approach, hoping that he was not too late to save those few who were left.

Wilhuff Tarkin was very rarely nervous, he had spent years living in wealth and splendor while amassing power at such a rate that worry was almost an inconceivable notion to him.

But as he walked into the Throne room, he felt those little flare wings in his stomach that he always felt when in the presence of the only man in the galaxy he owed fealty to.

“You wanted to speak with me your Majesty?” Tarkin asked.

The Emperor turned in his seat, “Yes Governor Tarkin, I would not have called you away from Eriadu were it not important.” The Supreme Ruler of the Galaxy asked, his voice reeked with a darkness Tarkin had never seen in the man when he was little more than a kindly old politician. Tarkin had long suspected Palpatine was hiding something, but this was a truth most fearsome to him.

The Emperor continued, “I’ve been reviewing your reports on the Battle of Enarc. I take you were not pleased with General Skywalker’s battle strategy.”

Tarkin wanted to kick himself. He had known Skywalker was the Emperor’s golden child, but in his spite he had been quite critical of the former Jedi’s handling of the battle. Partially because he felt that Skywalker had neglected to take advantage of a grand opportunity and partly because Anakin had marginalized Tarkin’s own role in the battle and had stolen the nexu’s share of the glory. But not long after the report had been filed Tarkin was regretting his harshness, because he had no way of recanting when Skywalker’s role in the New Order had been clearly defined as above Tarkin’s own station. Tarkin disliked Anakin Skywalker but had no desire to make an enemy out of such a powerful individual. He decided that he could use the conversation to officially soften his stance with the Emperor.

“Majesty, I admit that I was perhaps too critical…”

The Emperor interrupted, as he commonly did to his more powerful subordinates as a way of asserting his status. “Oh I don’t believe so Governor. In fact I would say that perhaps young Skywalker has grown quite reckless wouldn’t you agree?”

It was a shocking statement indeed, and Tarkin was taken off guard. He proceeded carefully; fully aware that Palpatine was perhaps attempting to lure him into saying something he should not be saying. “I believe so Majesty, but he only does so for the greater good of the Empire, and he has led our forces rather admirably given the circumstances.”

Palpatine scoffed. “He is more interested in revenge right now than preserving the peace. I believe that Skywalker is simply biding his time.”

“Biding his time for what my Lord?”

Palpatine folded his hands together, and sighed. “It is my belief that Anakin Skywalker will settle for no less than full control over the entire Empire, and that includes removing me as an obstacle.”

It was very difficult for Tarkin to believe, Skywalker was as loyal of a hound as had ever existed, but there was no questioning the Emperor. “He commands great loyalty amongst our Forces, especially amongst the cloned soldiers and pilots,” Tarkin noted.

“This I am aware of Governor, which is why I am putting you in charge of dealing with Skywalker.”

It was both a shock and a welcome to Tarkin, who now had his chance to get rid of Skywalker and climb in the Emperor’s hierarchy. “By your command Majesty, but I am unclear on how I should handle the situation.”

Unsurprisingly, the Emperor already had a solution. “Skywalker is a powerful beast but he is also predictable. As soon as he has dealt with the Jedi he will turn his attentions entirely towards taking over the Empire. After you have made sure that he has dealt with Quinlan Vos you will make sure that he does not survive long enough to betray us. A shuttle is standing by waiting to take you to the Telos system. Skywalker will be arriving there soon to attempt to apprehend the Jedi, because of unforeseeable circumstances he will find himself delayed in that system, which will give you time to catch up to him and establish your presence on his flagship as my personal envoy. Observe until the time is right, and then strike as you see fit.”

“I understand Majesty. I will leave immediately.” The Governor complied.

Palpatine smiled, and his hands returned to the arm rests to either side of the throne. “Good, and Governor?”

“Yes Majesty?” Tarkin bowed.

“I would not recommend failing, General Skywalker has quite the temper.”
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2008-04-30 04:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmmm. Convergence. I'm not sure I like the perspective that Anakin and Vader are literally two different warring personalities rather than Anakin just making Vader up in his head to justify his deeds to himself but thre's no denying you write it well.

I notice Kenobi isn't giving Vos his actual name. Id he just not doing it over an open comm channel or not at all? If it eventually comes down to a duel with Vader will Kenobi reveal himself?

Edit: AS in:

CODY: You never realised what happened to Obi-Wan did you?

VADER: I Know enough. I know I killed him.

CODY: No Annie! I am Obi-Wan!
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2008-01-30 01:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Anakin's schizophrenic?! What's next, him plotting against himself and placing himself in Jedi or Sith traps to rid himself of one of those conflicting personalities?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Crazedwraith wrote:i isn't giving Vos his actual name. Id he just not doing it over an open comm channel or not at all? If it eventually comes down to a duel with Vader will Kenobi reveal himself?
Next chapter should give you some insight.
Anakin's schizophrenic?! What's next, him plotting against himself and placing himself in Jedi or Sith traps to rid himself of one of those conflicting personalities?
Maybe you could call it mild schizophrenia. I'm basing this off of the way he spoke of his former self in the OT, and also how the Emperor referred to Vader and Anakin SKywalker as two different people. "That name no longer has any meaning to me" and such. I realize the explanation OOU is because Lucas wanted to keep the Vader=Anakin thing a secret for ESB, but in universe it seems that perhaps Vader tried to disassociate himself from the Anakin Skywalker personality entirely. In "Dark Lord" Palpatine notes how Vader's weaknesses are primarily psychological.

Now maybe it's two distinct personalities or maybe Vader has compartmentalized the two aspects of himself and it only seems that way. I have a plan for resolving that as well.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 29: Reasons Left To Live

It was a tight fit, but Obi Wan’s flyer managed to set down without harm from the cold. He found himself surprisingly calm and collected given the circumstances. He drew the force into him and stashed his lightsaber within the compartment in his arm, a way of concealing his Jedi background for the time being. The Vocoder would provide the added touch necessary to keep the disguise in place. The truth could be revealed once the Jedi were all safely board the Battlehymn.

He exited the flyer and was greeted by a particularly gruff Jedi with pulled back hair and the stubbly beginnings of a beard, its unkempt nature revealing the desperation of his situation. Obi Wan recognized him as a member of the Jedi “Old Guard”, and a man who might have held Obi Wan’s seat on the Jedi Council were it not for a series of tragedies that had befallen the man during the Clone Wars, Roan Shryne. He dared not reveal himself just yet though. Not when they were being hunted by Anakin Skywalker, and though Obi Wan despised pessimism if Shryne were captured by Anakin the possibility would exist that Anakin would discover that Obi Wan was alive and well.

Obi Wan bowed graciously, befitting “Master Jedi, thank you for permitting me to land. I have a ship at the edge of the system waiting for us to…”

“Hold on.” Shryne interrupted. Obi Wan was not used to a Jedi Master of Shryne’s stature acting in such a way, but it was certainly understandable given the times.

“Of course, my apologies,” Kenobi conceded.

Shryne sighed. “Look, I realize I’m probably not acting the way you expected but we’re in a terrible bind right now and under the circumstances I can’t afford to turn down any aid, if that is in fact what you are offering.” Obi Wan shook his head in the affirmative and allowed his fellow Jedi to continue. “If what you are saying is the truth then perhaps it would be best if you left as soon as you could.”

“I can’t do that,” Obi Wan answered. “Not in good conscience at least, besides my organization could use all of the Jedi support it can muster.”

“Organization?” Shryne asked.

“I represent a unified assortment of interests opposed to the Empire. The way we see it, the more Jedi that survive, the worse things are for the Empire.

“The truth comes out,” Shryne snapped, “we’re a means to an end, is that what you think?”

Obi Wan remained calm. “Your surviving hurts the Empire even if you choose not to fight with us. We can talk more though on our way out of the system. I can get you out of the Empire’s reach and from there you can go wherever you want.”

Shryne’s response was less than optimistic. “Sounds almost too good to be true, but like I said, I really don’t have a choice. Master Vos is the only one here you’re going to have to convince.”

“Quinlan Vos is here?” A shocked Obi Wan blurted out.

“That’s right.” replied Shryne. “But his wife and kid are trapped by that snowstorm near the Telos Spaceport, and he’s not going anywhere without them.

“So the rumors I’d heard from Saleucami were true after all.” mused Kenobi. “If they are stuck in the city, why doesn’t Vos just use that other ship I landed beside and go get them?”

A second voice, which Obi Wan recognized as that of Quinlan Vos, emerged from the shadows. “The entire spaceport is locked down; it would cause quite a disturbance to barge in there. In case you hadn’t noticed, that freighter is an old Bespin Gas Can, built to run Tibanna out of Cloud City, there isn’t enough firepower to handle even those dinky T-16’s used by spaceport security.”

Briefly, Obi Wan wondered if the Jedi’s prohibition on wives and children had less to do with attachment, and more to do with the apparent logistical nightmare of keeping track of said families. Still, the situation presented Obi Wan with a way to earn the trust of the two Jedi Masters.

“If firepower is your problem, then take my ship. That is, if you think you can use it without killing anyone who doesn’t really deserve it. It’s hardened enough to make it through this weather, and there’s enough armor that nothing short of a high end military gunship should be able to dent you.”

Quinlan Vos considered the masked man’s proposal for but a moment, and Obi Wan realized that Vos was attempting to read his intentions through the Force. Of course, with the force being drawn in to Obi Wan such as it were, Vos would have a most difficult time realizing anything, which could make him more suspicious.

“What’s with the mask?” said Vos in an attempt to discern any sort of information about his newfound ally.

Obi Wan hoped that a truthful sounding answer would deflect suspicion. “The unfortunate result of a run-in with the Empire I’m afraid.”

In truth Quinlan’s suspicion had only been sharpened by the intentionally vague answer, which Vos noted was the same sort of response he would have received from Yoda or Tholme. There wasn’t enough time to worry about it though; Khaleen, Korto, and Chak were in danger.

Vos looked away towards the hangar, and then back at the masked man, who could easily sense the Jedi’s apprehension. The mechanical voice remained calm, almost soothing in its response. “The ship is standing by, take it and go to them.”

If Quinlan Vos had hesitated, nobody noticed it as he took off for the hangar in a dead sprint. Leaving Shryne and the Padwans behind did not sit well with him, but he promised himself that he would return for them as he agreed. Quinlan’s newfound dedication to family, he decided, would not entirely exclude his Jedi brothers and sisters.

As he made his way up the ramp and into the ship, he paused yet again, and actually smiled as he took the pilot’s seat.

“I owe you one Obi Wan.”

“General Skywalker, we’re about to exit hyperspace.”

Of course with his Force enhanced sense, Vader already knew this, in fact he had already begun to stand and move toward the front of the bridge and gaze upon the Telos system for the first time. He remembered how, as a boy, he had boldly stated his desire to visit every star and every world in the galaxy. Vader quickly decided that the Telos system would not have been too high even on a young Anakin’s list of places to visit.

Then, a flash in the force, reminiscent of a low power electrical sensation coursing through his body, the feeling that a being had when danger was afoot. The adrenaline began to run its course and began to strengthen his connection to the Force. This was not just a minor threat either, and Vader had to wonder what sort of threat could exist in the Telos system that would cause him to react in this way.

The second that the Devastator re-entered normal space, it was obvious. As part of Vedij’s strategy to bring his ships in under cover, he had selected a point in the asteroid field where the debris was light, and could easily be entered by a group of ships.

Whoever was occupying the Trade Federation battleship had thought the same thing.

Vader reached out with the Force, crossing the void between the two ships and sensing the terror and shock of the ship’s crew. That told Vader two things, they weren’t expecting the Empire to find them so easily, and that there was a living crew aboard that ship.

“Captain Vedij, there are more living beings aboard that ship than one would suspect for a Trade Federation vessel. I want it identified, and I want prisoners. I trust you can handle such an operation?”

The Captain was confident, save for the inherent fear of failure any military officer had when given such a task by the military’s highest ranking being. “We will succeed General,” he said, managing to stay calm. “The crew of the Devastator is the best in the fleet.”

“I believe you Captain.” Vader said, instilling some additional confidence in Vedij. “However there is no room for error. Use whatever additional ships from the Squadron that you deem fit to assist you and have the rest blockade the planet. Have my starfighter and your best clone squadron prepped now. I want them all ready by the time I reach the hangar.

Now the Captains nerves were obvious. “Will you be participating in the battle General?” Vedij was not comfortable putting the General in the line of fire, and feared what would happen to his career if Skywalker were somehow injured.

The well meant concern was not treated as such. “You should not concern yourself with my safety or my personal affairs Captain. Focus on the success of the mission that I have laid out for you if you are so concerned about your career.”

“Yes General, duly noted,” Vedij stuttered. “Are there any further instructions?”

Vader pondered the Captain’s words, and made his decision.

“Yes, when your ships have finished blockading the planet, destroy the spaceport, and everything in or around it.”

“KARK!”

That outburst, followed by a colorful string of expletives was the first thing that the bridge crew of the Battlehymn heard after he alarm klaxons went off and the threat display screen became flooded with Imperial ships. Zozridor Slayke boasted an infamous reputation for his swearing, and he was definitely adding to it as he began punching up display at his captain’s chair.

”If we head for cover in the asteroids, they shoot at the asteroids, we get pelted with debris and we’re dead. If we try to run they catch us and we’re dead. If we stay and fight we’re dead.”

The options were limited, but Captain Slayke knew he did not have luxury of time in order to decide his strategy. Reacting quickly, he put out a message to the entire ship.

“We need to get some breathing room. Fire at the closest ship and hammer them as best as you can, I want all non-combat personnel to get to every hyperspace capable ship that we have and prepare to run. I want every fighter we have to prepare for suicide launches against the star destroyers. As of right now our mission is to take down as many of these Imp bastards with us as possible. I fought for years against the scum who tried to divide my Republic, I’m not about to let these sons of Kath Hounds tread upon the sacrifice of all those who have gone before me! Anyone who tries to desert or defect now I’ll come over and shoot personally. Anyone want to argue?”

Nobody dared, and Slayke said nothing further as he turned off the intercom. Although resigned to his fate, he was not about to simply give in to it.

“I hope things are going better for you General…”

“I owe you one Obi Wan.”

Obi Wan was startled by the telepathic acknowledgement of his identity, but apparently Quinlan had picked up on his desire to remain anonymous and had chosen not to out his comrade in front of the other Jedi. Still, if Quinlan Vos could discern Obi Wan’s identity with the Force, then it was almost assured that Anakin could do so if given the chance, and if Anakin found out that the man he thought he had killed on Mustafar still lived, he would hunt him down to the far corners of the galaxy.

Obi Wan had a lot of work to do before it was time to face Anakin. He turned to look at Roan Shryne. If Shryne had picked up any semblance of that message he wasn’t letting on, and from what Obi Wan could tell of the Padawans they were probably not trained well enough to suspect anything without being told first.

Obi Wan was just about to ask Shryne if there was any way that he could contact the Battlehymn when one of the Padawans came running into the chamber that Obi Wan and Shryne had just seated themselves in.

“Master Shryne!” the Padawan screamed. “We’ve just intercepted a transmission from the spaceport! The Empire is here and they’re blockading the planet!”

Nam Poorf’s warning deeply unnerved Shryne. Even the mysterious Ben Cody finally showed something other than a calmness that was eerily serene, even for a Jedi Master to behold.

“Nam, I want you to go get Jambe, the two of you need to get to Master Vos’s ship and start getting it ready to take off.” He ordered.

“Padawan,” Cody interrupted, “was there any mention of a ship fighting back against the Imperial forces?

Nam shook his head in the affirmative. “There was some mention of some kind of warship having it out with a couple of Star Destroyers, but I couldn’t make it all out.”

“Blast,” Cody said. “Those were our reinforcements. It looks like that Gas Can is going to be our only way out of the system.

Shryne was about to ask Cody how he had managed to get hold of a Trade Federation ship, when the man suddenly fell to the floor, his hands gripping his abdomen in what appeared to be a terrible pain.

Suddenly Obi Wan felt queasy, and even his cybernetic limbs shook as the feeling overtook him. Something in the Living Force, the aspect of the Force favored by Qui Gonn Jinn, had taken hold on his psyche.

Something very bad was about to happen, and judging by the overwhelming dark feeling behind it, Obi Wan was sure that his former student was somehow involved.

“Are you all right?” Nam Poorf cried out as he and Shryne rushed to Obi Wan’s side.

“Just a malfunction in the life support equipment,” Obi Wan lied, “nothing serious though.” Obi Wan closed off his connection to the Living Force and his limbs steadied.

“I just hope that Vos hurries…”

Shryne helped him to his feet. “We’re going to have to follow Vos in to the spaceport, we don’t have time for him to get his family and come back, and now it seems instead of you rescuing us, it’s going to be the other way around. Think you can handle that Cody?”

If their lives had not been at stake, it would have been comical. Obi Wan had been through countless “rescues” in his Jedi career on both sides. In his typical dry fashion that bordered on sarcastic, Obi Wan accepted. “Given the circumstances Master Jedi, I would be honoured.”

Vader had left the bridge, not bothering to deal with his commanding officer any further. Vader was confident that the man understood the price of failure and no further admonishment would be required unless that failure, however unlikely it was, actually occurred. Of course, he could not deny that part of his haste was his overwhelming eagerness to fly. Waiting in the hangar like a sleeping predator was the repainted and customized Jedi Starfighter Anakin had flown to Mustafar. The bright garish markings of the Jedi Order had been replaced with a sleek black finish, and the astromech socket occupied by a sleek R4-K5 droid.

Vader had long waited for another chance to take to the stars. The daily opportunity to fly, even in combat, was one of the few things Vader genuinely missed about the Clone War, and of his old life.

Accompanied by a squadron of V-Wings, Vader took off from the Devastator and into the weightlessness and freedom of space.

“Omega Squadron, this is General Skywalker, tag my fighter as Skywalker One and form up on me. Head straight for Telos and begin searching outward from the spaceport, under no circumstances are your fighters to get within five kilometers of the spaceport itself.”

“Omega One here, Roger that General, Just say the word and we’ll fly with you through each of the Nine Corellian Hells.”

Vader smiled. It was a breach of etiquette for the clone pilot to acknowledge him like that, but Vader was unconcerned with it. He was far more comfortable with the clones than he was with anyone else, the bond he had with his men was stronger than what he had shared with his fellow Jedi before. He trusted the clones with no reservations, and they had in return given him their undivided loyalty. Vader welcomed it as a useful and potentially devastating advantage he held over the other figures in the Emperor’s New Order.

Vader watched as the first wave of droid starfighers began shooting towards the Imperial formation. Puzzled by their lack of formations and disorganization, Vader brought his fighter around so that he could get a better view, and watched as a squadron of Vulture Droids plowed into the shields of the Devastator .

“Such desperation, whatever that ship’s purpose in the system it must be important. They must be covering for something going on planetside, but what?”

The R4 droid began to chirp, the Devastator was sending a transmission. It was Captain Vedij
“General Skywalker, we’ve identified the Trade Federation ship. She matches the description of the flagship of an unknown rebel task force that disable the Victory Star Destroyer Sharpwyrm .”

The name of the ship sounded familiar to Vader. “Elaborate for me Captain, quickly.”

“Yes sir, Sharpwyrm was acting on your orders investigating the tampering of the Another Chance when it was attacked by rebels seeking the Alderaanian ship’s cargo.”

“Alderaan!” Vader remembered. He had been so caught up in the events surrounding Asajj Ventress and then Depa Billaba that he had abandoned all thought of that particular mission. Now the events on that world were coming together with his hunt for the man who had killed his wife. He couldn’t quite figure it out yet, but Vader knew that there was something unifying all of these events and tying them together.

He couldn’t rule out the possibility that somehow his Master was manipulating events from behind the scenes, but didn’t think that the old Sith would dare move against Padme and his family, Vos was the likely suspect. Perhaps Vos had organized the incident on Alderaan as well. It made since, he had spent time as a colleague of Ventress under Dooku for a time and Vos was known to walk a precarious balance between the light and dark sides of the Force.

Vader switched off the comm, all of the answers he needed now were on Telos. Pushing forward on the yoke of his controls, he moved clear of the asteroid field and pushed the fighter to its limits, streaking towards the world of Telos, and towards destiny.

Author's Notes: Three months, and a few psychiatric conditions later and this fic is back! Well, sort of, I hope to resume a more regular updating schedule once I reconstruct some old outlines for the next few chapters and move on to the next phase of the story after this one.

Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

And I thought this fine fic went off to the bone yards. Thank you for proving me wrong! :D
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

A new chapter? AWESOME!!! As blasphemous as it is, I like this fic a LOT more than 99% of the stories from whoever's responsible for 'Star Wars' novels and comics.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Very nice update; things are looking quite interesting...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Nice to see you again, Fanboy. As ever I look forward to more.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 30: Eye for an Eye

“If we’re leaving anyway, then I’d like to make a request.” Obi Wan asked of Shryne.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” The Jedi Master was at a loss for what his guest could have wanted.

“While you and your students prepare the ship, I would like to use the facility’s communications equipment to contact my ship.”

Shryne grimaced at the thought. “If we do that then the Empire is going to learn of this facility, a transmission of that size might as well be a massive pyroworks display with a big sign that screams ‘Here’s the Jedi!’ Is that what you want?”

Obi Wan tried to explain. “As I said, we’re leaving the facility; it cannot hurt much, in fact if the Empire immediately focuses their efforts on this building then that means they won’t be looking as hard elsewhere.”

It was logical, sensible, and reasonable, yet for some reason the suggestion still put Shryne on edge. “Maybe it’s just my nerves from fighting so hard to even get here, or maybe my spending time here doing everything I could to conceal my presence, but there’s something about this that just feels wrong Cody.”

Obi Wan shrugged his shoulders innocently. Careful not to reveal too much about himself, Obi Wan attempted to reason with Shryne. “It’s your call, but it’s my best guess that as a Jedi Master that you served the Republic as a General during the war as well did you not? Those are my men up there, I owe a debt to them for serving me, each and every one of those beings is dedicated to freedom, fighting and now dying for that cause.”

The words struck home, Shryne was obviously moved. Obi Wan didn’t realize just how much of an effect that he had actually created. Shryne remembered the sacrifice of Ion Team on Murkhana, and how they were the only clones in the entire Grand Army to resist Order 66. Ion team had been killed, summarily executed by their brethren, but not before they had managed to aid in his escape.

“Make it fast.” Shryne conceded, “Vos had already loaded most of the supplies on board and those little freighters don’t take much time to get ready.”

“I’ll only be a moment.” Shryne could not see the smile that had formed on Obi Wan’s face, but he did sense a twinge of happiness in the Force and felt relieved. The feelings that he sensed had justified at least some of the trust he had put in the masked man.

“Allies are in short supply these days, it’s nice to meet you Ben Cody, whoever you are.”

“Captain Vedij,” sounded a voice from one of the junior officers, “Report from General Skywalker’s squadron, Omega Leader reports that they have reached Telos and have begun their search for the Jedi. The General requests a status report.

Vedij was in no mood to give any sort of status report. He was too busy attempting to figure out a way to minimize his damage from a seemingly endless amount of droid starfighters, made worse by the long range bombardment of the Trade Federation ship.

Despite his growing frustration, he remained aware of the General’s temper, Vedij double checked the tactical display at his seat. “Tell the General that the VSD Judgment was the first to break the enemy’s fighter screen and will be in orbit over the Telosian Spaceport any minute now.”

Vedij cringed at the thought, as tough as he felt his situation was, it was a Life Day celebration compared to what the spaceport was about to go through.

“General, VSD Judgment has broken the fighter screen and will arrive momentarily. Are there any further instructions?”

“Just remind Captain Vedij that starships can be repaired far easier than reputations. I want that battle ended now; tell him to do whatever it takes. The enemy is counting on his cautiousness in order to buy time for the Jedi, Skywalker out.”

Vader felt the temperature of the cockpit rise as his ship crossed into the atmosphere. For most search operations like this, it took a lot more than thirteen fighters. But the commanders of those operations did not have the Force at their disposal as Vader did, reaching out with his senses, he sought out the unmistakable presence that Force-strong individuals emanated. Vader’s mind picked up a few faint echoes, but nothing with enough feeling that confirmed their identity. Not willing to give up, Vader reached further.

He found it, a black storm of emotions, an unstable mixture of passion and fear that could be either very empowering, or every debilitating to a Force user.

“That has to be Vos. His stench is all over this signal, the Jedi Council should have executed him when they had the chance!

Leading his squadron of fighters closer, the R4 droid confirmed his suspicions by displaying the data of Vos’ ship onto Vader’s HUD.

“A Gunship! He must have obtained it from his cohorts aboard that Federation cruiser. He has to be working with the Rebels!”

Vader adjusted his course and was heading to intercept when his R4 blared an alarm, it was loud, but far more collected than his old R2 unit. The R4 was warning Vader of the impending snowstorm that he was flying into. As Anakin Skywalker, he had flown in equally miserable conditions on plenty of worlds, but was not sure how the more delicate Eta-2 would handle in such conditions. For Vader, there was only one way to find out.

“Omega Squadron, this is Skywalker One. Our target is the Separatist Gunship hiding in this storm; he must be using it as cover in order to reach the Spaceport. Omegas One through Six will follow me into the storm to flush him out. Omegas Seven through Twelve will wait at altitude above the storm for him to come out. I want that ship taken intact . I will carry out the Jedi’s sentence permanently.”

Less than a minute later Vader’s fighter began to shake and swerve as the storm tried to wrest the small ship off of its attempted path. But the terrible maelstrom was no match for Vader’s anger. With his hatred for Vos focused, Vader kept his ship on course and cut through the winds even as they intensified.

With his senses extended in an effort to deal with the storm, Vader found Vos very quickly. The half-squadron he had chosen to accompany him was still lagging behind, but it mattered little to Vader. The detrimental weather would affect Vos too, and he was confident that his ship’s maneuverability would be more than enough to handle the firepower of Vos’ ship.

When he was close enough, Vader didn’t even both to wait for this targeting computer before firing the first volley of shots…

The gunship had handled the storm well, and as a result forced Quinlan Vos to think that things were going eerily well for the first time in years. Then, the ships droid interface began screeching out of control. The droid brain, obviously needing a programming update or at least some recent news reports, warned Vos of “approaching Republic fighters.”

Vos checked the gunship’s threat display and saw the small digital silhouettes of a squadron of V-Wing fighters, and one incredibly fast and light craft that the Gunship could not readily identify, but matched the specifications for the upgraded Eta-2 Interceptors used by the Jedi.

The malevolent aura that Vos sensed told him exactly who the pilot was as well.

“So Skywalker, you’re still doing your own dirty work? That’s about the only good thing I have left to say about you. But even you’re not dumb enough to come down in here in one of those…

The cockpit suddenly became a circus of bright lights and loud noises as the gunship’s sensors began to track Anakin’s descent into the storm, and the subsequent volleys of plasma tearing into the rear facing deflectors.

It wasn’t entirely harmful, but it forced Vos to maneuver, which was made more difficult by the swirling winds. As he lost ground to his pursuers, the V-Wings joined in the attack and began firing as well. Fortunately for Vos, the Clones did not possess the piloting skill of their leader, and many of them could not get a lock onto their target.

“My ship is going to hold up better than theirs in this storm; I’ll lose them once I get to the spaceport. I can use the buildings there too my advantage, and if I have to ditch the ship to make it to Kahleen so be it.”

The ineffectiveness of Omega Squadron was frustrating Vader, but he conceded to himself on the matter.

“Never trust anyone but yourself to kill a Jedi. It’s why Dooku failed, and one day before long it’s going to be why Sidious fails!”

The scattering of fire was managing to keep Vos somewhat contained, and there was still a half squadron tailing the engagement, although Vader regretted that he did not have any of the slower ARC-170s accompanying him, as a volley of missile fire would derail Vos well enough no matter what the weather. Still, Vader devised a strategy, hoping to force Vos out into the open skies above the storm.

“Omegas Seven through Twelve, prime your weapons and head in the spaceports direction, get in a strafing formation and prepare to take fire from the rear.”

Although he had been forced into a bottleneck and was still being struck by the occasional shot from one of his pursuers, the heavy shielding of Vos’ ship and the winds were keeping him safe. Obviously Skywalker wanted him alive, that much was certain. As much as Vos would have liked to set down and duel Anakin there and then, the priority was still on his lover and child.

The gunship’s sensors began to squeal as Vos finally was forced to take notice of the other six V-Wings as they sped off ahead. Vos recognized the pointed formation they were using from the campaign on Saleucami.

“They’re setting up to attack the spaceport with V-Wings? They don’t even have any torpedoes!” Vos yelled out loud. The realization hit him, however, just as he felt his hands reach for the controls to react.

“So that’s your game Skywalker…” Vos thought, thinking that the V-Wings were going to retaliate against their quarry by attacking the city. “Whether you really want to take that city, or if it’s just to lure me out of the storm you know I really don’t have much of a choice!”

“Omega One, the Jedi is taking the bait, take your squadron up there and hammer him now!” Vader yelled over the designated squadron frequency. The six clone pilots, eager to get out of the storm, pulled upwards and cut through the winds and into the sky towards their target. Vos had taken Vader’s bait.

“No matter how hard you tried you are still a slave to your training!”

Vader’s own ship rose up, but stayed just beneath the storm, keeping pace as he watched the battle unfold. If he timed his own attack just right, Vos would be trapped like a womp rat, just as his comrades in orbit were.

“Captain Slayke we’re receiving a transmission from Telos,” shouted the Quarren bridge officer.

“Sithspit, who would be calling us now?” The grizzled Captain asked, “Ignore it, I’m trying to coordinate a karking battle here.”

The officer frantically replied “Captain, it’s General Cody!”

“Well why didn’t you say so? Put him on! Hey General, you sure took your time down there, I think they brought the entire Coruscant Defense Fleet with them!”

“Your efforts are not in vain Captain, I’ve made contact with the Jedi and they have a hyperspace capable ship. If is escape is possible then…”

“Sorry General, they knocked out our drive systems, we’ve got just enough thruster capacity right now so that we can point our guns and that’s it. We’re out of droids now too, I sent a few of the B-2’s outside with a couple of repeaters but it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped.”

“I am sorry Captain, this was never my intention…” Cody’s voice was distinctively mournful.

“General, what you’re doing down there is going to hurt the Empire far more than this boat was ever going to manage. Get your own asteroid out of there and let me do my job. Because when you escape from this damned system and go on to Restore the Republic it will have justified everything we’re doing up here.”

The ship started to shake violently as a barrage from a nearby Star Destroyer overloaded the shields. Slayke stood up and drew the hand blaster he carried at his side. “Sorry General, but the shields are gone and that either means were already dead or we’re going to have boarders soon. Wish I could have seen you carve ‘em up the way Master Halcyon did to the Seps on Praesitlyn.”

“I’m sure he’s rooting for you Captain, I know I am. Thank you Captain Slayke, I won’t forget this,”

The ship shook again and the transmission ceased as the unprotected communications array was vaporized in the attack. His body pumping with adrenaline, Slayke gave the general an unheard farewell of his own.

“Neither will I General, neither will I.” He noticed his crew, all manning their stations, despite many of those stations being linked to destroyed equipment. “Hey I know we’ve lost a few systems but that didn’t make those consoles blow up in your faces now did they? Get yourselves some blasters and get ready, we’re going to make the Empire pay for every micrometer of this ship and by the end of the day, they are the ones who will be regretting this battle, not us!”

“I’ve lost them.” Obi Wan said to Roan Shryne.

Shryne motioned with his head and the two began walking quickly to the freighter. A Barloz-class ship used for the transport of Tibanna Gas that Vos had dubbed Shadower. “Perfect timing then Cody, because it’s time to leave, Vos should have reached the city right now, we still have a chance to meet up with him if we hurry, and his family is holed up at an Inn just off of the primary spaceport facility.”

Obi Wan and Shryne took their places in the cockpit as the Padawans strapped themselves in. The controls were fairly standard, and Obi Wan had no problem adjusting to them.

“I see you’ve got some piloting experience after all.” Shryne quipped. “I thought that you just had the gunship fly itself, it being part of the Droid Army and all.”

“That’s not entirely fair Master Jedi…”

“It’s Roan, if you don’t mind, we’re going to try and dispense with the ‘Jedi’ titles for a while if you don’t mind. The two in the back are Jambe and Nam, if you have trouble telling them apart, then you can ask them.”

“Fair enough, Roan, but I was about to say that I’ve had plenty of experience flying thank you very much. I even picked up a few tricks from a spacer on Tatooine a long time ago.”

Shryne grinned. “Well let’s see if that spacer was any good, let’s go get Vos.”

As the ship took off, Obi Wan pondered Shrynes words. “Oh I learned from the best all right, I just fear that you’re about to find out firsthand.”

A volley of missile fire lanced out from the Gunship towards the streaking V-Wings ahead of him, who were forced to disperse into evasive maneuvers. The missiles though were incredibly agile seekers of a model tried and tested over years of combat with the Republic.

“Those bucketheads should stay busy for a while dealing with those, now I can handle the ones behind me.”

Knowing he couldn’t outmaneuver the fighters behind him, Vos simply threw all of the power into his rear shields. The V-Wings, weakly armed as they were, would have a lot of difficulty making any sort of progress against it, and his rear firing weapons could go to work holding them off.

“Now all I have to worry about is Skywalker, just where did he go?”

Vader had expected the missile volley; it is what he would have done after all. Vader had given the order knowing full well that Vos would take the advantage, and he guessed correctly that Vos would then throw everything he had into a rear facing defense against the lightly armed fighters.

Although his own Eta-2 did not boat much armament either, there were two weapons that it did possess that Vader knew Vos might not be familiar with. From his review of the Kiffar’s service record, he knew that Vos spend little time flying starfighters, and that most of his time had been spent with the old Delta-7 aircraft. The Eta-2 however, was capable of much faster speeds and boasted a small but effective pair of ion cannons.

Rising above the storm, Vader pushed his Eta-2 to its top speed, rushing past the other fighters at supersonic speeds. His next move was so fast that Vos, even with his own force-aided piloting ability, had no time to react towards. As soon as he had barely enough room to execute the maneuver Vader pushed his fighter into a roll off the top maneuver that saw him rise upwards and roll the craft into a half “s” turn. With the space seconds he had before crashing into the gunship, Vader poured fire into the Gunship and then adjusted his craft. Both vehicles shook as the belly of the interceptor scraped and bounced off of the gunship’s saucer area.

Vader watched with great satisfaction as Vos’ gunship began to spiral out of control as it lost power and spiral away towards an inevitable crash.

“Omega Squadron, the target has been neutralized. Return to the Devastator and rejoin your comrades, Omega One inform the officer of the deck that I will be returning with my own vessel as soon as I am done.”

The V-Wing pilots acknowledged and broke off, Vader noticed that two of the ships had suffered damage from Vos’ missile attack, and that at least one ship had not rejoined the others. He resolved to acknowledge their sacrifices later when there was time, there was still the matter of Quinlan Vos to attend to.

“All too easy. I’ll be disappointed if you don’t survive this Vos.”

Vos’ ship finally went down in a snow bank outside of the spaceport, the winds had begun to die down in that area and Vader noticed a spot less than a kilometer away where it was stable enough to land. Before he disembarked though, there was one thing left to do, he reactivated his communicator and dialed up to the Victory Star Destroyer in position over the spaceport, now within view of the naked eye and hovering over its target like an unholy harbinger.

“Victory Star Destroyer Judgment, this is General Skywalker. You are now clear to fire on the spaceport.”

“General, this is Captain Sheppard” came the reply from an obviously nervous officer on the other end, “our readings show that you are awfully close to the killzone.”

“I realize my proximity Captain, but if you want to keep your commission then you will follow my orders and destroy that city and everything within it and you will do it now!”

“Of course General, my apologies, the bombardment will commence immediately, Judgment out.”

As Vader’s ship lowered itself out of the sky, he noticed that Vos had begun to climb out of the wreckage, and was stumbling in the direction of the spaceport.

“After what you did to me Vos,” he said aloud to himself, “I hope that there is someone in that city that you care about.”

He hadn’t seen it coming, at least not until it was too late. Quinlan did not think lightly of his own piloting skills, but he now knew why Anakin Skywalker’s piloting had become legendary amongst the Jedi.

“Ugh, after flying with him at Rendili I should have expected something like that, but I lived! I’m close enough to the city! I just have to make it to them!”

Vos slowly trudged through the snow, the winds were not as fierce as they had been, but the cold chilled Vos to the bone.

“Khaleen, Korto, I’m coming for you!”

Just as the Jedi’s hope started to flare and provide him with the strength to go on Vos stumbled. After picking himself up, he looked to the sky and for the first time noticed the Star Destroyer above the spaceport. Less than a second later, he noticed the flashes of green light emanating from the large ship. He didn’t want to believe it, but he knew what was about to happen next.

As Vos kneeled in the snow, he watched as the city before him was engulfed in columns of green light. Buildings were completely obliterated along with their occupants, and the superheated air began to melt the area surrounding the city. Even with the city completely leveled, the Star Destroyer continued to fire until it was sure that it had incinerated its target, once a bustling spaceport, now a smoldering pit.

Quinlan Vos did not speak or move, and his eyes were wide with agony and shock as he watched his family die in the inferno.

FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

I can't believe I missed the previous update. This is really starting to tighten up, and raises the burning question of whether Vader will bother to talk with Vos at all before slaughtering him. Quinlan not being dead yet certainly throws a wrench or two in the gears if he manages to persuade Vader that he had nothing to do with the death of Padme.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ohhh.... Shit.

Vos is going to be rather too pissed to throw much wrenches in the plan me thinks.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Excrement, meet oscillator. Great update, Fanboy.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks like Anakin's reputation is going to take a turn for the worse, i.e., he'll be more hated than Vader was in OTL because he'll be seen as having betrayed the very ideals he fought for in the Clone Wars.
Crazedwraith wrote:Vos is going to be rather too pissed to throw much wrenches in the plan me thinks.
Seconded.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 31: Carnage and Chaos

Obi Wan pushed himself to shrug off the agony he felt from the city’s destruction. Although he had been used to such feelings during the War, he had never become used to them. In his peripheral vision, he saw Roan Shryne struggling with the same emotions.

“Something bad has happened, we need to find Vos soon.” The Jedi Master said.

“That might be easier than you think.” Obi Wan said, knowing a way to find Vos but unable to do so without revealing his Jedi abilities. “You Jedi are all connected by that Force you keep talking about, use that.”

“It’s not that easy.” Shryne said as he fought to keep the freighter under control in the storm while shrugging off an increasing sense of uneasiness.

“Pardon my boldness Roan, but if what I have heard of the Force is true, then it should be fairly easy for one with your abilities. If the spaceport was attacked as we feared, Vos’ family was almost assuredly killed.”

Shryne shot an icy stare towards Kenobi. “If you are suggesting that Master Vos has somehow turned to the dark side, then do not bother finishing your statement. I have fought with him across the galaxy ever since the Republic betrayed us, as much as he has been through, he has never fallen.”

“Care to bet a thousand credits on that?” Obi Wan thought as he recounted information that he was privy to as a member of the Jedi Council. Still, Shryne’s edginess had to be managed carefully. “I am not suggesting that Quinlan Vos has turned or anything like that. But you know how much he cared for his family, undoubtedly whatever emotions he is feeling right now are strong beyond comparison. Use those feeling to seek him out Master Shryne and we can get off of this world and get to hyperspace!”

Obi Wan could not tell is Shryne’s reservation stemmed from his refusal to believe what he was being told, or because he knew what the answer was already and did not want to face it. Reluctantly, Shryne reached out with the Force and sought out the strongest presences on the planet, hoping for a beacon of light where his friend was taking refuge.

What he found, were two terrifying dark anima each bent on seeking out and obliterating the object of their malice. One of the avatars Shryne easily recognized as Quinlan Vos, it was encompassed by a deep sense of loss and a desire for revenge that had eclipsed the cold and practical demeanor normally wielded by Vos. The second was less familiar, but easily recognizable as the once heralded “Chosen One.” The distinct tempest of mixed emotions still accompanied the young man, but they were far darker than Shryne had ever remembered. Skywalker’s hate was fueled by far more than the loss of his family though; he could sense feelings of betrayal and revenge that threatened to destroy the personality of Anakin Skywalker as much as it fueled his strength.

Finally, Shryne broke off his efforts and Obi Wan noticed that a sweat had begun to trickle on his brow. “Did you find him?” Kenobi asked.

Shryne did not say a word, but Obi Wan had all the response he required as Shryne diverted the freighter onto a new course and, despite the storm, hit the accelerator.

Vader leaped out of his fighter and took his lightsaber into his hand; he didn’t bother to run towards Vos’ location, because he knew Vos wasn’t going anywhere. The memories of Padme began to flood back. Killing Tholme and destroying the Jedi Skyhook had barely satiated him; he wanted to kill the person directly responsible for Padme’s death, and for sending Kar Vastor at him and his children. Vos would pay for being the architect of his misery, he would pay dearly.

“Focus your hate!” , came the dark voice from within. “The Jedi stole your childhood, caused you to lose your mother, and then manipulated you for their own gain. Now that you have rejected them and punished them accordingly, they chose to take your wife out of spite. Do what must be done to Quinlan Vos to ensure that those left alive will live the rest of their pathetic lives cowering in fear!”

Whatever reservations he might have had left were washed away as the powerful emotions welled up inside his heart, which had once again become the thermonuclear furnace of unlimited power that he had used with great effectiveness against Count Dooku.

Making his way to the top of a large snow bank, Vader looked down and saw Quinlan Vos kneeling as he faced the city, although he was silent, Vader could feel the Dark Side of the force erupting from the Jedi’s obvious agony.

It was too much to resist. “Vos!” Vader yelled, using the Force to project his voice over the dying winds of the storm, which seemed determined to roar until their last breath. “Whoever it was, you’ll be joining them soon enough!”

Quinlan turned and saw his enemy standing above him in the snow, his black armorweave cloak catching the wind and spreading out like the wings of a demon from some lost mythology. Without hesitating, he grabbed his lightsaber from its place on his belt and ignited the green blade.

Thinking back , he recalled when he had summoned the Dark Side to kill the man he had thought was the second Sith known as Darth Sidious, and how he had turned to the light and embraced the love of Khaleen in the midst of fighting on Saleucami. He remembered on Kashyyk how he had sworn that he would call on whatever power necessary to survive the treachery of the clone troopers as they hunted him down in the forest.

He had walked a fine line for his entire life since becoming a Jedi, and he had crossed it many times. When his son had been born, he had decided to forsake the Dark Side and raise his child, Korto, in the Light, so that he would not have to suffer through the emotional ordeals that he himself had faced.

Now Korto was dead, as was Khaleen, and their Wookiee friend Chak that had fought alongside their family ever since meeting with Quinlan on Kashyyk. The Jedi that had all traveled to Coruscant were now all dead, a small fraction of the Order that had been in a steep decline since the Battle of Geonosis years earlier. That Order, was also dead. With all of those parts of his life consigned to dust, Quinlan decided that he had nothing left to live for, except for the death of Anakin Skywalker.

A howl of intense rage was released from Quinlan lungs as he charged through the snow at a great speed towards his target, within seconds Vos had managed to move to within striking distance. He immediately attempted a decapitating stroke but was stopped at the last second as Anakin’s lightsaber came to life. The spike of crimson flame accompanied by the Force had stopped Vos in his tracks and robbed him of all his momentum. A split second later, Anakin let loose with a powerful bust of the Force Vos was hurled meters into the air before crashing into the ground and tumbling to the very bottom of the snow bank.

Although painful, the counterattack was not enough to break Quinlan’s resolve. The Two men looked at each other, their hate resonating in the Force causing the once dying storm to resume surging. Their battle was just beginning, even as the battle in the space above them continued…

“The enemy’s resistance is far stronger than anticipated Captain; it will be some time before we are able to take the ship.”

Vedij frowned; Clone Commander Appo was painting a grim picture of the fighting aboard the Rebel ship. Of the multitude of soldiers that the task force could bring to bear, the 501st was far more experienced and battle hardened than the rest. They also held the trust of General Skywalker, who had personally selected them for the assignment.

Vedij was surprised that the ship had not simply self destructed in an attempt to do as much damage as possible before that opportunity was lost, but he eventually realized that the Rebels were attempting to buy time for the fugitive Jedi on Telos. The Rebels knew as well as Vedij that the opportunity for prisoners could not be passed up under any circumstances. Now, with hundreds of clones aboard the ship and hundreds more on the way, even the most callous and cold hearted Imperial Captains would be loathe to destroy the ship, sacrificing so many of their own men.

“This assignment was supposed to be much easier…” the Captain lamented. “Continue to do what you must Commander, reinforcements are on the way.”

“Captain, one last thing. Has there been any word from General Skywalker? I received a message from Omega Squadron saying that they had been ordered to leave the planet without him.” It was the first time Vedij had ever heard a clone speak with such concern.

“We have heard nothing, but it can be assumed that General Skywalker is personally conducting the hunt for the Jedi by himself.”

“Thank you Captain, Appo out.” With that, the transmission ended.

The mission had become almost bizarre for Vedij, and he briefly pondered the idea of turning over command of the Task Force before deciding that it would greatly displease the General. It mattered not, because what happened next would have pulled Vedij back to duty at lightspeed.

The communications officer was the one to break the news. “Captain, a shuttlecraft has just exited hyperspace behind us with an Imperial IFF signature, scanners identify it as the “Emperor’s Apostle” ,a Theta class.”

Vedij wanted to curse, Theta class shuttles meant only one thing, some high ranking official was about to put himself in the middle of the action and interfere with the entire operation. Vedij couldn’t decide what bothered him more, the fact that he now had another superior in the vicinity or the likely tantrum that General Skywalker would have as a result of some bureaucrat impugning upon his hunt for the Jedi.

“We’re receiving a transmission; it’s on the same frequency reserved for Governors.”

“You mean a Moff.” Vedij corrected, reminding his subordinate that the official designation for the Sector Governors had been changed with the Imperial reorganization. “Send it to my console, I’ll take it there.”

Vedij moved back over to his chair, pausing quickly as a column of flame erupted from the side of the ship he was besieging. It was a sign that Appo was not exaggerating in his previous report. Shaking his head, he sat down in his chair and activated the flatscreen console in the chair’s arm. “This is the Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator to Emperor’s Apostle, be advised that you have entered an active combat zone, may we be of any assistance?”

“Dispense with the formalities Devastator, this is Moff Tarkin. Where is General Skywalker?”

Although he was not familiar with the galaxy’s aristocracy, few beings in the galaxy with a rudimentary knowledge of galactic affairs failed to recognize the last name Tarkin. Those Tarkins that had taken an active political role were commonly known for their ruthlessness.

Although it would have been a court-martial offense to drink on duty, Vedij desperately wanted a bottle of Corellian Whiskey.

Tarkin, seated in the passenger’s cabin aboard one of the shuttles reserved for emissaries of the Emperor, heard the response he had been hoping for.

“General Skywalker is personally conducting the search for the Jedi on the surface of Telos.”

His assignment became that much easier, if this wasn’t enough to elevate him even further in the New Order, then Wilhuff Tarkin had no idea what else it would take. It would also be a satisfying bit of personal revenge for the humiliation Skywalker had made him feel during the battle of Enarc.

“Very good Captain, my shuttle will be docking shortly. Clear the berth closest to the bridge before we arrive. Also, I want that Trade Federation Cruiser destroyed immediately, we’re wasting valuable time trying to take that ship intact and I won’t have it wasted any further.”

Tarkin was satisfied with his orders, and felt confident that he had intimidated the Captain enough that he now had assumed full control of the operation. To his annoyance though, the Star Destroyer’s captain was more resistant than he had thought.

“But Moff Tarkin, we have hundreds of clones already aboard the ship, members of the 501st have almost secured the entire vessel! More reinforcements are on the way!”

It was almost too good to be true for Tarkin. The Emperor had expressed his personal annoyance at Skywalker’s growing mystique amongst his clone soldiers, purging a number of his personal legion would do well towards erasing the former Jedi’s legacy.

“Bring the reinforcements back then, those soldiers still aboard the ship are an acceptable loss. Their failure to take that ship is all the reason more to let them burn with the Rebels left aboard. They’re just clones Captain, I am personally acting on behalf of the Emperor and I expect my orders to be followed just as his would.”

The Captain’s voice stammered out a reply, a sure sign that he was going to be compliant. “Of course Moff Tarkin, we are targeting the cruiser now…”

Quinlan’s second charge was not so reckless, although he approached with less speed he opened with a series of quick strike and cuts that forced Anakin to react defensively. Quinlan’s goal was to keep Anakin on the defensive and force him into making a mistake. Quinlan gave himself over the Dark Side of the force and allowed his lightsaber to become an extension of his hatred and he executed his lightsaber forms with a precision that he had never before managed.

“You killed my wife and child!” The Kiffar screamed as he continued to press his attack, and he used the adrenaline boost that it gave him to press his attack further. He balanced his strikes heavily towards Anakin’s sword hand, hoping that Anakin’s stance would switch to a more defensive posture that would enable Vos to land a small but significant strike.

“That’s funny,” Skywalker replied. “I was about to say the exact same thing to you!” Anakin continued to meet all of Quinlan’s attacks and Vos noticed that Anakin was not even breaking a sweat.

“How can he keep this up? Even Mace Windu would try and break from these prolonged exchanges after some time! What is he waiting for?”
The epiphany came too late as Anakin released the two handed grip on his saber and parried Vos’ next saber strike with one hand, Vos had noticed the switch and overextended himself and slashed with full force in an attempt to knock the lightsaber from Anakin’s hand, but the blade was stopped cold as Anakin parried and held strong against the attack with only one hand. For a split second Vos looked on with astonishment, and didn’t realize his lapse in judgment until Anakin’s free left hand came forward with Force accelerated speed. Anakin’s left fist impact solidly with Quinlan Vos’ abdomen and the breath was squeezed out of Vos instantly. As Vos doubled over, Anakin brought his right knee upwards and it connected with Vos’ chin, knocking several teeth loose and causing the Jedi to spit a copious amount of blood into the snow.

It took a great deal of his remaining strength, but Quinlan Vos managed to gather enough Force energy to him so that he could leap away, giving him several precious meters of distance between him and Skywalker.

Vader watched as Vos leapt away, landing a distance away but still glaring back at Vader with a deep and hateful stare.

“Quit delaying the inevitable Vos! Finish this fight the dignity that you couldn’t afford to Padme you treacherous filth!”

Whatever Vos wanted to reply with, he didn’t. Vader and Vos, who had barely known each other leading up to this moment, now shared more anger between each other than any two in the universe at that moment.

“I have you now…” Vader said to himself as he began stalking towards Vos. As he approached though, he caught the sight of a ship in the corner of his eye streaking towards his location at high speed. “Friends of yours Vos?”

Obi Wan and Roan Shryne overshot the battle at a low altitude, so low that both men could easily see the blood streaked snow in front of Anakin Skywalker, and Quinlan Vos in a crouched position holding his belly in a great deal of pain. Seconds later, they were directly over what had once been the Telos Central Spaceport.

“By the Force…” Roan Shryne gasped.

Obi Wan knew who was responsible, but it made him sick to think about it. “It seems that General Skywalker wanted his revenge on Quinlan Vos as badly as we suspected.”

Roan Shryne sat up from the pilots chair and looked down upon the scene. “I’m going down there to help Vos.”

“Are you out of your mind?” Obi Wan exclaimed, genuinely surprised at Shryne’s insistence on joining the fight below.

“Not in the slightest. We don’t have the maneuverability or firepower to be certain that a strafing run would work, and we can’t risk hitting Vos. He and I fought well together in New Coronet, we’ll do our best.”

Kenobi thought about the lightsaber hidden inside of his cybernetic arm. “Fine, then I’ll join you.” As much as Obi Wan hated fighting, he always somehow felt drawn to a battle like an unwilling piece of metal towards a magnet.”

“Negative,” Shryne barked, I need you to stay here with the ship and hover over in case we need to make a quick escape, monitor any Imperial comm traffic in case we need to make a quick getaway. Besides, it’s too dangerous for you down there. Skywalker is the strongest Jedi in generations, perhaps ever, it’s going to take more than a cyborg with a blaster to help bring him down.”

“Oh I know that as well as anyone…” Obi Wan quietly thought, remembering who it was that had put him inside of the suit he was now cursed to wear. “I’ll do my best, stay safe Roan, may the Force be with you.”

Shryne returned the greeting as he exited the cockpit. “And may the Force be with you, Ben Cody, when this is all over you can sign me up for your Rebellion.”

“I’ll hold you to it.” Kenobi sarcastically replied as he brought the ship in low.

“Master Shryne!” Came the voice of Jambe Lu as he and Nam Poorf met up with their teacher at the exit ramp where he was about to disembark.

“What are you two doing here? Get back in the passenger cabin!” Shryne demanded.

“We know what you’re doing,” said Nam Poorf, “You’ll need all the help you can get down there against Skywalker!”

“Let us fight with you!” Jambe Lu implored.

Shryne looked at the two Padawans and was at a complete loss for words. The Padawans were the last two that he knew of; the fate of the galaxy could one day rest in their hands. However, before he could say anything, rings of blue light erupted from behind the Padawans and the two students collapsed to the ground, breathing but unmoving. Shryne looked up to see Ben Cody holding a blaster.

“Stun setting,” Kenobi replied, “for their own good.”

Shryne took a deep breath before silently agreeing. “Normally I wouldn’t approve of such measures.”

“They would have disobeyed you, but you can’t blame them. But one day they’ll understand, when they are older, and realize that by rushing headfirst into battle they were just throwing their lives away.” Kenobi shrugged his shoulders. “Try not to get killed down there, and then you’ll be able to tell them that yourself.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Shryne said as the hatch opened. Obi Wan returned to the cockpit and slowed the ship down so that Shryne could safely leap from the hatch and into the open plain. Obi Wan continued to circle, watching with great interest as he slowly regained altitude. Acting on Shryne’s plan, Obi Wan started scanning through the standard communications channels used by what used to be the Republic Navy. He had hoped to find word of his ship, and what he found disheartened him.

Appo and a handful of his men were pressing forward down the corridor that led to the main bridge. The Rebels had turned the area into a kill zone though by strewing debris. A handful of Rebels were firing down the corridor with their weapons into the path where the clones were forced into traversing. In addition, the Rebels had managed to get a handful of old but still effective B-1 battle droids and a repeating blaster before the clones could reach the area surrounding the bridge. Red bolts of lethal energy lanced through the hallway striking down any and all of the white armored clones that dared enter their path.

Finally, to Appo’s relief, his helmet uplink began receiving a transmission, it was from Lieutenant Commander Bow, who was supposed to be in charge of the reinforcements being sent over from the Devastator.

“Bow, this is Appo. How much longer are you granite slugs going to take before getting over here?”

Bow’s delayed response was unnerving. “Commander Appo, we have just been ordered to turn back to the Devastator. You will not be reinforced.”

“What?” Appo screamed into the transmitter as loud as he could, hoping that he had left a ringing sensation in Bow’s ears. If he did, Bow didn’t give any notice, so Appo continued. “On whose orders?”

“The orders came directly from Moff Tarkin, who has assumed command of the operation.”

“The General isn’t going to like that.” Appo remarked. “Relay the message that we have secured all parts of the ship except for the bridge and we’ll have that within the hour.”

“The seizure of the ship is irrelevant. Within the next few seconds you’ll understand Commander.” Bow stayed quiet again for a few seconds until Appo understood. “It has been an honor to serve with you Commander. They’ve already given me the field promotion to replace you, but as far as I’m concerned, you’re still the one in charge.”

Appo was supremely angered, but he maintained his composure, it was what he was bred for. “Bow, make sure that General Skywalker knows exactly what has happened here. He is the only one left in the bureaucracy that gives a kark about us. He’ll make everything right.”

“It will be done. Die well commander.”

“You’re just jealous that you won’t get to go the same way, you’ll probably be crushed under a pile of datacards and regulations before you see combat again you mynock!” Appo joked. “Appo out.”

Looking around at the clones with him, Appo thought about his next move before he settled upon a course of action. “This ship is about to be destroyed. We don’t have much time left. If you want to try and escape I won’t stop you.” He said to his men. “But we probably have next to no time left and there’s still a battle being fought here until we’re all space dust. I’d rather die with my DC-15 on full auto than sitting here waiting for a Turbolaser to do my job for me.”

Unsurprisingly to Appo, many of his men agreed. Although it wasn’t tactically sound, the clones immediately began pouring out from behind their cover, spraying fire wherever they could at their attackers with some clones even managing to throw small thermal detonators down into the bridge itself.

Before the skirmish could be decided, the ships bearing the reinforcements had cleared the way and the gunners aboard the Devastator were given orders to fire. A volley of green turbolaser fire slammed into the Battlehymn and tore the ship apart in an explosion that none could have possibly survived.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

(Salutes the clones.) I imagine Moff Tarkin won't live long once Anakin learns of the order that resulted in the clonetroopers' deaths.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Hooked as always. Great work, Fanboy.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Oh that's a good shot, between this & CoH I'm just managing to keep my addiction under control