Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stravo I beg you to drop everything and go run and pick up a copy of Starfighters of Adumar the person of course I was refering to was the ever popluar Wes Janson who every book story and movie is the better for his inculision

Heck Wraith Squadren, Iron Fist and Solo Command are Much better books for his inculision

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

Does any1 else think the silver eyed guy might be Kirk's old mate from 1 of the TOS episodes, the one who becomes super powered and super nutty at the same time??.

If any1 can remember more details of this guy it might help clear it up?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Master Arachnos wrote:Does any1 else think the silver eyed guy might be Kirk's old mate from 1 of the TOS episodes, the one who becomes super powered and super nutty at the same time??.

If any1 can remember more details of this guy it might help clear it up?
Hmmmmmmm
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
buzz_knox
Padawan Learner

Post by buzz_knox »

The silver eyed fellow must be Gary Mitchell, Kirk's old friend and first officer from the series pilot. Either that, or someone else who ran into the Galactic Barrier and had sufficient psi capability and luck to be transformed into a near god, along with a pyschopathic hatred of Kirk.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Bump

I need more !
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I know the wait has been long, but it has been incredibly busy at work, and seeing that we're going into depositions in a few weeks, its only going to get more busy, so please bare with me if the chapters don't come much quicker.

Chapter 14: A Pretty Lie

Tarsi smiled grimly as another volley of heavy turbolaser fire ripped into the swirling bright light of the wormhole’s event horizon. Explosions rippled deep within after each strike, confirmation of the Adjudicator’s power and accuracy. He pointedly ignored the pyrotechnic display outside of his ship, port side aft. The Federation station Deep Space Nine had warned them several times to not approach the wormhole.

The Adjudicator continued on, observing radio silence as they slid into firing position. The station then threatened a violent response if the Adjudicator did not immediately withdraw. Tarsi nearly laughed out loud at the utter emptiness of the threat coupled with the voice of the one issuing the warning, she sounded like an unsure child.

As soon as their weapons began powering up the station suddenly revealed hidden phaser arrays and torpedo launchers. The station began firing on them. Tarsi contemplated blowing them out of the stars for the insolence and defiance. But instead, he decided that his silence and the Adjudicator’s utter lack of response as Deep Space Nine concentrated all its fire on them was a powerful statement on its own.

His tactical officer and his new Vulcan liaison, Xon, both concurred that two more volleys would be more than enough to collapse the wormhole. Tarsi was impatient. He had dispatched the executioner ahead of him to begin the offensive in the Klingon empire. He wanted to be there when the fleet finally bulled its way to the Klingon homeworld.

He understood the importance of the target and why the wormhole needed to be closed. It denied one of the most powerful military forces direct access to this quadrant of space. But it still irked Tarsi that he had been relegated this duty. Kittaine assured him that it was a sign of the supreme confidence Nemesis had in him that he was assigned the vital assignments. Tarsi did not see it that way. Conquest of the Klingon empire was something that interested him, controlling Vulcan, rebuffing Federation counterattacks, they were the meat of his interests. Collapsing wormholes and doing battle with inconsequential space stations, alone, without a fleet was definitely not what he wanted.

He would bring distinction on himself during this Klingon campaign, he promised himself.

“Sir, we’re picking up an energy spike within the wormhole. It looks like something is emerging out of the event horizon.” His tactical officer warned.

“Standby on all tertiary weapons, we may need to get a snap shot off.” Tarsi warned and stalked over to the view port just as an object flashed out of the swirling maelstrom of light.

“By the emperor.” Tarsi breathed as he recognized the familiar shape of the Nebulon B frigate. “What are those?” he demanded pointing to two vessels latched on to the Nebulon’s dorsal and ventral main couplings.

“They are Federation starships, one of them is an ancient Constitution class starship…fascinating.” Xon replied and arched an eyebrow. Tarsi shot him an annoyed glare before turning back to his tactical officer.

“Verify she is not one of ours.” He ordered.

There was very little doubt in Tarsi’s mind that this was not one of their ships. The frigate was quickly accelerating away from them. But Tarsi had a reputation to maintain. Many claimed that Tarsi was a berserker, a warrior who believed in firing first and asking questions later. However, the incidence of friendly fire in his command was nil. It was one of the many reasons why Tarsi inspired such near fanatical devotion from his men. He was not a stardestroyer commander that simply waded in, turbolasers blazing, casualties be damned.

“Confirmed, sir. The ship’s Id matches that of a ship we lost back at the Maw. I’m also detecting alliance starfighters in her hangars.”

Tarsi smiled and to Xon it resembled a satisfied smirk. A hunter preparing to chase the prey.

“Commence bombardment with all batteries, I want her destroyed or disabled before she can make the jump to lightspeed.”

He could feel the Adjudicator starting to rumble under his feet as the engines switched on to pursuit mode, accelerating the leviathan of a warship towards the rapidly retreating Nebulon. Within seconds flashes of deadly emerald beams lanced out after the frigate.

“We’re taking fire!” Sulu warned.

“I see it, Sulu, Spock how are those modifications coming along?” Kirk asked as he kept an eye on the screen. The massive Imperial Stardestroyer was rotating and beginning to surge ahead after them. He noted with some dismay the utter lack of effect Deep Space Nine’s volleys of fire were having on the warship.

“We will need a few more moments to replace the fuses.” Spock reported dispassionately.

“Scotty?”

“I’m working as fast as I can, Captain!” Scotty replied breathlessly on the intercom.

“Captain, any time now would be nice.” Leia’s voice came on the com.

“Give me a minute, princess.” Kirk replied. A salvo of turbolaser fire exploded directly overhead and shook the Enterprise violently. Kirk knew they just did not have much time left. The Adjudicator had their range, now they would be bracketed.

Sulu grimaced and his hands hovered uselessly over the helm controls.

“Are you alright?” Chekov asked, fighting the nervousness he felt as the ship shook around them.

“I hate to be helpless, Pavel. We’re docked to this rebel ship and I can’t so much as execute a single evasive maneuver. We’re totally dependent on those rebel helmsman and I don’t trust anyone with my life except me.”

Chekov nodded.

“I know how you feel. I don’t trust any other helmsman with my life except you as well.”

Sulu smiled warmly at his friend.

“Torpedoes, active and recalibrated.” Spock reported.

“Princess standby, we are firing in four seconds…mark.” Kirk nodded to Sulu who immediately lined up the shots and fired.

“Sagan firing remodulated torpedoes as well.” Uhura reported.

“What are they doing? Worthless fools.” Tarsi sneered as the Federation ships piggybacking on the Nebulon B began launching torpedoes at them.

“Desperation often creates abnormal responses.” Xon noted coolly.

“Do you have any feeling at all, Xon? Those are your people out there that I am about to blow out of the stars.” Tarsi snapped.

Before Xon could answer, the first wave of torpedoes exploded several hundred meters before striking the Adjudicator. The torpedoes’ explosions were like small stars, bright flashes of light blinded everyone on the Adjudicator’s bridge, moments before the auto shading activated on the windows. Tarsi blinked his eyes furiously.

“Track them damnit, all heavy turbolasers on flak mode, blanket the area!” Tarsi ordered.

He could feel the great guns directly near the base of the bridge tower firing, it was always a comforting feeling for him, but now he felt helpless as white blobs slowly faded from his field of vision.

“Sir, picking up an energy spike, looks like the Nebulon jumped to hyperspace.”

“What happened? I want a report.” Tarsi roared as his vision finally began to clear up. Soon his bridge officers were not just indistinct blobs moving around a hazy field of white, Xon stood still, hands clasped behind his back, he did not look as flustered as the others.

“Why aren’t you blinded, Xon?” Tarsi asked suspiciously.

“My people have a nictating membrane to protect us from bright light. Obviously it protected me from the worst effects of the blast.” Xon replied.

Tarsi smirked and turned around.

“Do we have a heading based on their last unknown trajectory?” Tarsi demanded as he stalked over to the navigation station.

“Sir, the Federation torpedoes exploded on two specific frequencies. Visible light,” “Obviously!” Tarsi snapped. “And the exact same frequency our passive scanners use to track targets going to hyperspace. We lost them for only a few seconds until the computer compensated, but that was all the time they needed to make the jump.”

“Rebels. That scum must have given them the frequency.” Tarsi muttered.

“Federation weapons technology has always proven very mutable.” Xon added dryly.

Tarsi eyed the tall cold Vulcan with a mix of contempt and anger. He briefly considered shooting the bastard where he stood. He decided against it. Barely.

“Mutable or not, that is the second time that particular vessel has escaped me.” Tarsi hissed.

“Which one?” Xon asked curiously.

“That Constitution class cruiser you mentioned. I am almost certain she was at our first encounter with your Federation.”

“Interesting.” Xon stated neutrally.

“I want that ship found. He will not escape me again.” Tarsi snapped.

“And Lord Nemesis’ orders, sir?” his XO asked cautiously. “The Executioner is waiting for us, the offensive in Klingon space has begun. We have our orders. That Federation ship can wait.”

Tarsi glared at his XO.

“You know I’m right sir. Nemesis will not brook personal feelings interfering in his plans.” His XO continued quietly.

Tarsi took one last look back at the space where the rebel ship had just been only moments before.

“There will be another time and a place. But for now, finish collapsing the wormhole, then set course for the Executioner’s current position.” Tarsi relented and waved everyone away.

Captain’s Log. Stardate 18747.2

Acting Captain, William T. Riker Reporting:

The Enterprise is underway to Starbase 342, we have just come out of pitched battle with a wing of Romulan warbirds that have tried to cross into Federation space. The Enterprise, Comanche and Farragut engaged the Romulan intruders. Unfortunately we lost the Comanche and the Farragut, but managed to drive off the Romulan attack. The Enterprise has suffered extensive battle damage, over 40% of the crew is wounded or dead.

I am proud of the Enterprise, we accounted for over half the destroyed or crippled warbirds in the battle. Unfortunately, this was not an isolated incident. Romulan warbirds have crossed the neutral zone in force. As far as we know, they have penetrated in most cases deep into Federation space. The Romulans have gained almost complete tactical and strategic surprise.

After the Dominion War, the vast majority of the Federation fleet has been concentrated in the heart of the Federation for repair and refit. The fringes have been left to the ships kept out of the war like the Enterprise. The Federation hoped that the goodwill generated by the alliance in that war would help keep formerly volatile borders like the one the Federation shared with the Romulans under control, thus limiting the amount of ships needed on patrol.

It seems that the Romulans waited for precisely this occasion to launch a strike into Federation space. Though their initial blows were met with heavy casualties against the Romulans, they are driving deep into Federation space. The majority of Star Fleet is mobilizing but we don’t know how far the Romulans will get until we can begin to repulse them.

I am also worried by reports from Earth. Reports that Captain Picard may have been the first victim of this Romulan aggression.

Captain’s Log Supplemental:

The Enterprise has diverted from Star Base 342. Starfleet has sent a general order on all subspace bands and frequencies. All starships are to divert to Earth. It seems that forces allied with the Romulans known as the Galactic Empire are converging on Earth. The 7th Fleet, newly rebuilt and refitted just went to battle against the Imperial forces in the Typhon sector. Not a single ship survived and the Imperial Forces are not making any secret of where they are going. Earth.

“Hold it sir.”

“You can’t go in there, sir.”

The doors to Captain Durant’s ready room slid open and Jean Luc Picard barged in, two Data type androids were trying to hold him back, but they had to be careful, one small twist or pull the wrong way would cripple Picard instantly.

Durant looked up from the computer where he was reviewing the current strategic maps.

“Please, let captain Picard pass.” Durant ordered.

The androids hesitated for a moment, eyeing Picard critically before releasing him and walking out of the office. The doors quietly slid shut.

“Captain, can I offer you a drink, some tea perhaps?” Durant asked casually and indicated an open chair opposite his desk.

“You are a cold blooded and callous murderer, Captain Durant. You should be ashamed to wear that uniform.” Picard snapped not moving from his place standing by the doors. His face was dark with rage

“Excuse me?” Durant asked quietly.

“You are responsible for the death of billions of Romulans, not to mention the deaths of untold Federation citizens when the empire responds to our attack. Do you any idea what you have done?” Picard demanded.

Durant slowly sat back and folded his hands over each other as he regarded Picard with a cool gaze.

“I know that I have severed one of the Empire’s vital supply lines, as well as crippling the Romulan economy beyond repair. They relied on Remus for over 70% of their energy output. It’s Praxis all over again. The Klingons never really recovered from that fiasco you know. They are still an energy poor empire, they’re just lucky that there’s nothing really worth having in Klingon space.”

“Don’t change the subject. You deployed a strategic weapon to do your dirty work.”

“How else would you have me sever the supply base? Orbital bombardment would have still killed millions and it could be repaired, Picard. Are you objecting to the amount of damage and death caused in relation to the Shiva effect?”

“No, I am aghast that you would so callously slaughter billions and leave a world utterly uninhabitable. As a Starfleet captain you should know that there is nothing more valuable in this galaxy than a class M world. We not only slaughtered those people we denied them a planet to ever settle again. They will hate us forever. Remus will be a monument to hatred for all eternity and you are responsible for that.”

“Please, Picard. I have no time to think of the DIPLOMATIC repercussions when the very Federation is about to be overwhelmed by a superior foe.”

“I’ve seen the reports. They’re coming, in force, and they are driving straight for Earth. You saw what their superlaser could do to Romulas. Now it is on your head that the same fate will befall Earth.”

“What makes you say that?” Durant asked sharply.

“When you deploy a strategic weapon like the Little Boy, you leave the enemy no other alternative but to deploy their own strategic weapons in response or face extinction. I thought you as some sort of military genius would understand that. They have no choice now but to use the superlaser on Earth.”

“They won’t.” Durant answered, gaze boring into Picard.

“What makes you so sure?”

“Because they have a scapegoat. They have someone they go blow straight to hell without remorse. They need the Federation. It is obvious from their treatment of Vulcan. They want our scientific know how, not to mention the fact that we are the richest and most advanced empire in this quadrant. They don’t want to lose that. The empire is aggressive and powerful but they are not fools, Picard.”

“The Klingons.” Picard breathed as his eyes widened slightly at the revelation.

“You’re a smart man.” Durant replied wanly.

“You’re bringing down the wrath of the Empire on the Klingons and they are completely innocent. Is there no end to your depravity?” Picard shouted and took several steps towards Durant.

Durant calmly held up a hand.

“Picard, the others told me it was a mistake to pick you for our fleet, but I felt otherwise. Usually we pick our candidates from the academy or on their first assignment, before the Starfleet indoctrination can really take a firm hold.”

Picard stared at the young man, aghast at the words coming from his mouth. He also felt a sense of creeping shame. The same system that had created him had created this young dictator in the making. His moral relativism would mean the end of all of them.

He was not sure precisely when he decided that he would have to kill Durant.

“But someone like you, who has been a bastion of Federation thought and philosophy would never accept our rather gray operations. We work on the fringes of everything you believe in, but here is the kicker, Picard. I am ready willing and able to lay down my life for you and your beliefs. I am a patriot, Picard, as is everyone else in the shadow fleet. We lost some fine men in that battle, men you did not know but whom I learned from. I mourn them deeply but they died fighting for what they believed in. I also believe in one very simple formula. The life of a single Federation citizen is worth more to me than a million Romulans. So when you point to Remus as an example of our cruelty and inhumanity, I point to it as sign of our fierce devotion to our cause. Take one world from the Federation and we will reduce yours to glass.”

Picard blinked.

“You’ve learned nothing your whole life. You claim to be a patriot but in order to love the Federation as you claim to do, you must love everything about her, including her ideals. The Federation is not a cafeteria, Durant, you cannot pick and choose what you like about her. A true patriot loves everything about the Federation, blemishes and all.”

Durant smiled.

“That is precisely the attitude they warned me about, but I thought I had a keener insight on your mind. You were a rebel, Starfleet was always trying to reign you in. You’ve violated the Prime Directive more times than even Kirk, I think, and your recent actions on Baku point out to me that although you would fight and die for the Federation you do not always agree with what she has to say.”

Picard stared back at the young man. What could he say? His record could be interpreted precisely in the manner he just described.

“You thought wrong.”

Durant smiled softly.

“I don’t think so, unfortunately you have come at a bad time and have seen a rather ugly side of our work.” Durant paused and put a finger to his chin. “I wonder, would you be in this office as angry as you are had I deployed the Little Boy against a Borg world?” he asked.

Picard’s jaw tightened.

“That is a different matter altogether.”

“Really?”

“I will not debate this nay further with you. I want you to return me to Earth where I can take part in her defense.”

Durant looked genuinely surprised.

“You can’t go back.”

“What?!” Picard exclaimed.

“Did you really think I showed you the inner workings of the shadow fleet so that you could return to Earth and tell everyone about us?” Durant asked incredulously.

“What are you saying?” Picard whispered, feeling his stomach drop out beneath him.

Durant turned his computer around so that the screen faced Picard. He tapped a few keystrokes and the image flashed to a news article. Picard’s face was on the front page. It was a standard face shot that all officers took every few years so that Starfleet had it on hand in case a newsworthy event happened.

He leaned in closely and his eyes narrowed on the headline.

“Starfleet Legendary Captain Jean Luc Picard Believed Assassinated by Romulan Agents.”

Picard shot a glance up at Durant who was watching him.

“I’m sorry Picard. But Adare staged your kidnapping using a Romulan weapon so that we could set up the cover story if you worked out. Your actions in the war so far have been acceptable to me. The Valhalla performed well in the battle, you’ll fit right in.”

“I don’t believe this.”

“I’m sorry, Picard. But as far as the Federation is concerned, you were killed by Romulan agents in your apartment, the energy signature of the weapon was lifted off the floor and wall panels of your bedroom. Many believe that it was a prelude to the war now, others theorize you were killed because you knew something they didn’t want you to know, and some conspiracy theorists say you were killed by the Federation to silence you before you exposed the whole Baku matter to the world.”

Picard stared at the young man as he felt his world changing all around him.

“Adare is really quite good at this. If you want I can give you holotapes of your state funeral.” Durant leaned in close. “I’m sorry, Picard. There is no out, there is no through. Once you join the shadow fleet, it’s for life.”

Kirk groaned as he lay back in his bed. McCoy had griped that he needed sleep and despite his protests he knew Bones was right. He had not slept since this crisis began and Leia assured him that they would reach Earth in under 6 hours, enough time to catch a quick nap.

He insisted on briefing her what to expect, but she smiled and explained that she had been the Alliance’s de facto ambassador at large for over 10 years and she had met with all manner of aliens and cultures, she would know how to react to the Federation. Kirk noted the very brief flicker of a glance between her and McCoy and knew that Bones had spoken to her in private.

“Bastard.” he muttered as his eyes slowly fluttered closed.

He was standing at a hilltop, he could see as far as the horizon in every direction and the sun was slowly setting. There was a quiet peace here. He slowly slumped against a proud oak tree and watched the clouds unfurling over head.

“Your dreams are far more peaceful than your real life. I always wondered how you kept sane, this must be it.”

Kirk jumped up.

Standing on the opposite side of the tree was a middle aged man, thinning hair and prominent nose. His lips were pursed in a smirk.

“Who are you?”

“A figment of your imagination?”

“I’ve had my mind prodded and poked enough to know when I’m being telepathically scanned.” Kirk countered.

The man shrugged and snapped his fingers. He vanished in a flash of light and reappeared sitting where Kirk had been sitting before he leapt up.

“You and I have a connection that goes way back, Kirk. You can say that you inspired me throughout much of my life.”

“I don’t have a clue in hell what you’re talking about.” Kirk replied sharply.

“Come now, Mon Capitan, look closely at me, surely you see some of the young child I once was. I’m not THAT old you know.” the mysterious stranger replied with a hooded smile.

Kirk stared hard and had to admit there was something there.

“Something about is familiar. Something about the eyes, that stupid smirk of yours.” Kirk admitted.

“My parents were very cross with you. They blamed you for instilling me this attraction to humanity. My people find the obsession a tad, embarrassing.”

“Your parents?” Kirk replied and something flashed in his mind. The smile, that insufferable twinkle in the eyes.

“Trelayne!” Kirk exclaimed.

The man smiled and suddenly he vanished in another flash of light and reappeared behind Kirk dressed in that silly Napoleonic era uniform he wore when they first met/

“The squire of Gothos at your service.” he mock bowed. “My parents were not thrilled by the title so when I grew up I took the far more proper and boring title of Q.”

“Q?” Kirk repeated.

“I know, I know, you think I sold out, but let me tell you, you think peer pressure is horrible amongst you humans, it’s an absolute bitch amongst gods.”

Kirk smirked.

Q held up his hand and nodded.

“I know what you’re going to say, Captain. You don’t believe in gods but I’m just using a term you understand. Your species has so much trouble grasping some of the more ephemeral qualities of reality, yet you certainly have no problems toying with it.”

“Get to the point, Q. What do you want?” Kirk looked a little annoyed for a moment. “Damn it, I’m calling you Trelayne! What kind of name is Q?”

Q smiled.

“That’s my boy, Kirk. Always railing against the universe, whether you have a chance at winning or not.”

“I don’t like to lose.” Kirk replied.

Q nodded sagely.

“Above all else, this trait will either be your downfall or your saving grace.”

“How about telling me what this is all about.” Kirk replied, crossing his arms.

“The universe hangs in the balance, Kirk. I come here to your dreams because he cannot see into your subconscious. Unfortunately, he is watching all other avenues so I am forced to become nothing more than a dream in your mind. Not a comfortable position for one who spans space and time.”

“You always had a penchant for hyperbole, Trelayne.” Kirk replied with a smirk.

Q smirked as well and snapped his fingers. There was a flash all around them and now Kirk stood on an asteroid in deep space. Q stood by his side, looking on grimly at a massive spiral galaxy slowly spinning beneath them.

“What the hell?!” Kirk exclaimed and looked around quickly, prepared to feel the crushing cold of the void, but he stood on the asteroid in his uniform and not a strand of hair moved in the stillness.

“Trust me enough not to want to kill you.” Q added wanly.

Kirk frowned but then something caught his eye and he whirled. The spiral galaxy that had stretched out before them suddenly slowly split asunder, the stars flaring up like candles in the wind and it seemed to be caught in some horrific whirlpool as stars, worlds, the entire galaxy itself swirled violently and vanished in an explosion of light and matter that streamed around them like a storm.

The space was now completely empty. Kirk looked upwards and saw the vast expanse of galaxies. Just as he always imagined, clusters of them swirling together in a universal dance of order and life. Except great swirling darkness was creeping across the bright expanse.

“Those are dead galaxies.” Kirk breathed.

“The universe is slowly being ripped asunder.” Q answered coolly.

Kirk looked at him in confusion and his fists clenched at his sides.

“Did you cause this?” he asked bluntly.

Q shook his head.

“I could give you an answer, but you won’t like it.”

“Don’t play games with me Trelayne. I spanked you once I’ll do it again.”

Q smirked.

“You are incorrigible, Captain. You’re nothing like Picard. He was my favorite, but you were always different, you were my first and like all great romances, we always remember our first.” Q suddenly appeared in a southern belle’s dress and clasped her hands together to his chest and blinked at him.

“Stop it! The universe is dying and I want to know who did it.”

Q sighed and crossed his arms as he switched into Kirk’s yellow shirt and black pants.

“You did.” Q replied.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

ARGH HE POSTED MORE WHEN I WAS NOT LOOKING
MUST READ NOW!

*Edit later on
You know if Stravo demeanded 9.99$ A chapter there would be quite a few people who would pay for it

VERY good

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo would be a very rich man indeed...I know I'd run out of money before he finished. :(
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Don't give me any ideas guys :twisted:

Actually IIRC wasn't Dickens paid by the word, explaining some of his long winded prose.

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Another cliffhanger. Hope the wait isn'y too long for the next chapter.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
CorSec
Jedi Knight

Post by CorSec »

Take your time, Stravo. Though I find the wait(-ing) intolerable it is worth it. Besides, if you rush good fiction you end up with bad fiction.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

BRAVO ! :)

Keep it up, but don't let fanfic's get in the way of your work.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

The ending of the chapter is great.
In my opinion you've just surpassed Conquest, although it's not yet finished, this is the best crossover I've seen so far.
Supermod
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!!! *ROARS like a rancor*

Cyaround,
Jason
P.S.- this is better than a whole book. At least there's a wait for the next chapter with the tingling feelings in need of MORE MORE MORE!!!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

You did a very good job of portraying Q...I mean Trelayne, in this chapter very very nice.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Captain_Cyran wrote:You did a very good job of portraying Q...I mean Trelayne, in this chapter very very nice.
I'm glad you think so. It's VERY hard to write Q well without it being a simple comedy routine. I was also hoping I wouldn't ctach any flack for making Q Trelayne, but I always thought that the similarities were too much, even the actors somewhat resemble each other.

Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Congratulations on some really excellent prose.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to have seen that the Squire of Gothos was, conceptually, just Q slightly past the toddler stage.

I look forward to reading more when the next chapter comes. Does the silver-eyed fellow at least get squashed by a boulder the size of a small truck? Again?
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

OK, I am a sneaky bastard, I tell you the next chapter may not come for awhile because I'm busy and indeed I am but there is alot of down time waiting for dos to get ready, etc. So here we are...Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Perchance to Dream

“There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover you power. Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.”

“I’ll never join you!” He retorted angrily.

Nemesis heard the sharp wind. It was all he could hear for a moment as he hung off the utility station at the end of the catwalk. The pain flared in his right arm. He could not feel his hand.

His hand was gone.

“Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father.” The dark cold voice boomed over the howling wind that whipped around him like a living thing.

“He told me enough.” He spat as he swung over to the far end of the utility vane. He was balanced precariously with one hand. His right arm was stuffed under his left armpit, desperately calling upon his wizened master’s training to make the pain fade away. But training sessions were one thing. Fighting the pain of rigorous training and torn muscles and ligaments were one thing. His hand had been severed from his arm. The pain was almost maddening.

He looked up at the fearsome apparition. The dark cloaked, armored giant stood at the end of the catwalk, cape flapping behind him. He remembered all he had been told. This thing had turned on his own, had slaughtered the noble Jedi knights, betrayed his father and helped give rise to the Empire that now squeezed freedom from the galaxy.

“He told me enough, he told me you killed him!” He retorted sharply, smiling triumphantly at the Sith Lord.

There was a brief pause. He wondered for a moment if Vader could feel the hate he felt for him. He had slain the only real hero he had in his life – his father.

“No. I am your father.”

There was disbelief. Utter disbelief as his world tumbled around him.

“No. That’s not true. That’s impossible!” He screamed as he ignored the sudden stab of acceptance. He had relied on these feelings to destroy a death star, guide him to Dagobah, reveal the truth about the force, but now these same feelings were telling him that this awful revelation was true.

“How did my father die?” He asked the wise old wizard. The old man looked uncomfortable for a moment and he immediately knew that the truth was not going to be good.

“A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.”

He stared at the old man, feeling a prick of anger welling within him. His father had been slain in cold blood.

His father had taken his hand and stood before him as the greatest villain in Galactic history.

“Search your feelings, you know it to be true.”

A flash of something else.

Betrayal.

Obi Wan. Yoda. They all wanted him to train and fight. To kill the dark lord of the Sith and his emperor. To kill his father. They spent their entire lives dedicating him to slaying his own father.

They never told him. They wanted him to hate and murder his own father and they never trusted him enough to tell him the truth. He was nothing more than an instrument, a tool. They did not tell him what the price would be.

Anger, lament, disbelief and shame tore through him like his father’s crimson lightsaber.

“No!!!!” he screamed, resting his head against the utility vane. He wanted to run far away. He wanted to run all the way to Tatooine and forget himself in the great wastes. He wanted to disappear forever and forget the force had ever come into his life. His entire life had been spent looking for someone like his father, his last few years had been spent training to be like his father. Now he realized that he had been duped…like his father.

“Luke. You can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is
your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son.
Come with me. It's the only way.”

Vader held out his hand and Luke looked at him for a long moment. There was so much going on beneath that mask. He could feel the yearning in the dark lord’s mind. There was no hidden agenda. There was no hate, no trap.

He had told him the truth. He had opened himself to his son and in the end, he had not lied.

Nemesis looked down briefly at the yawning abyss below. He turned back to his father, holding out his hand. Nemesis could not fully grasp the depths of his despair. He had been used from that first day. They had always known the truth.

“Father, Powerful Jedi was he, powerful Jedi.”

Nemesis felt the cold grip of fear as well in his belly. The only other option was oblivion. To throw himself to the void to protect those that had betrayed him, used him.

He reluctantly held out his own hand and the cold glove wrapped around his hand, gingerly, almost tenderly and upon contact he knew the entire truth.

“You are my father.” he whispered as Vader pulled him back onto the gantry. Vader’s mechanical breathing seemed to slow as he looked down at the wounded young Jedi.

“Yes, Luke. I have been looking for you for a long time. Now, let us undo what damage the liars have done, let us rebuild that which was lost. Come, my son.” Vader wrapped one arm around the weak Nemesis and his black cape draped over him like the night and there was only the soothing darkness and the slow burning anger of betrayal.

His dreams always ended here.

They did not end. He suddenly seemed to trip and he steadied himself on a rotten tree limb. He froze.

“No.” he whispered.

A long figure stood leaning against a great twisted tree that rose up into the misty bog around them. The sound of life was almost deafening as birds flapped overhead and various animals called into the darkness around them. Splashes were everywhere as all manner of beasts moved through the murky waters around them.

He slowly walked up to the figure, dressed in the traditional brown robes of the Jedi knights, hood dropped down over his bowed head, hands clasped in a meditative pose.

“Ben?” He asked cautiously, ignoring the stirring in his heart. He missed the old Jedi. The soft smile, the stoic nobility. His lies.

The figure raised his head suddenly as Nemesis slowly reached to touch his hood. Nemesis snapped his hand back and stood in amore defensive pose. His right hand immediately searched for his lightsaber.

“Who are you?” he hissed.

The figure smiled at him, it was not the kindly smile of Ben Kenobi but a more sarcastic grin. He was not Ben Kenobi.

“You can call me Qui Gon, but my friends call me Q.” the stranger responded.

“I’ve never heard of a Qui Gon and I certainly never heard of anyone named Q.”

“Really Luke, this whole dark cloak and angry demeanor is not you. What happened to the wide eyed farm boy we all knew and loved.” Suddenly Q disappeared in a flash and instead of Jedi robes, he wore a white tunic and pants, exactly like the ones he had worn on that fateful day when the droids came into his life.

“My name is Darth Nemesis.” he replied coldly and activated his lightsaber with a snap hiss.

“Darth, schmarth, you have so much potential and you waste it in this tantrum.”

“What are you?”

“I am a messenger, a figment of your imagination, an echo from your conscience.”

“You are an alien presence in my mind.” Nemesis interjected coldly. “Why bring me here? Did you think to unbalance me?”

Q smiled.

“I didn’t bring you here, you brought us here. This is your mind after all, not mine.”

“This place is the source of my strength. It is where I had the last vestiges of my innocence stripped from me by a lying ancient Jedi master whose sole goal was to forge a weapon against my own blood.”

“You really believe that?” Q asked wanly.

“Get out of my mind.” Nemesis hissed and took a step forward.

“Remember your failure at the cave.” an old voice drifted over the din of wild life and rotting vegetation.

Nemesis whirled around and his eyes narrowed as he tried to spy the unseen speaker.

“I came with a simple message. Something for you to dwell on.”

“Enough! Say your peace and leave my mind. You and yours shall pay for this affront to a Sith Lord.”

“Luke, is that what you wanted in your heart. The Jedi code spoke to you like an old comforting lover. The Dark side, it snaps to your whim but it has teeth, does it not? How long before your soul is corrupted beyond repair. How long before you can no longer walk on the path of light?” Q asked seriously, his clothing changed to a brown tunic and pants. The clothes he wore at Bespin.

Nemesis was about to snarl a reply when he heard that same voice again.

“Once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny. Beware the Dark side, eager to join you in a fight. Quicker, easier, more seductive.”

“How am I know the good side from the bad I asked you!” he roared into the misty shadows. Q seemed to fade slightly.

“You lied you ancient bastard! You lied to me!”

“She is here.” Q whispered in his ear. Nemesis froze. Q was standing right by his side, head cocked in close to Nemesis’ ear. “Can you feel her? She has come for you.”

“No.” he whispered.

“Yes. In the end the Dark side can only have one master and it will demand blood for its power. Blood of the most beloved.”

“She wouldn’t.”

“She loves you idiot. She believes that you will turn.”

“I will not. I am my own man.”

“Are you?” Q asked pointedly. Nemesis whirled but Q was no longer at his side. He was at the far end of the clearing standing on a moss covered rock.

“Are you indeed?” Q asked through a breath mask. The slow rhythmic breathing seemed to banish all other sounds in the swamp. Nemesis stared at the apparition.

“I won’t turn!”

“Always with you what cannot be done.”

“I am strong, I am powerful, the truth has made me rise above petty Jedi tricks and nonsense. I am one with the Dark side.”

“That is why you fail.”

The lights around them dimmed and all he heard was the breathing then there was nothing but silence.

Nemesis shot bolt upright in his meditation chamber, sweat beaded on his brow and slowly dripped down his chest. He controlled his rapid breathing and quickly calmed himself before he realized with slow horror that he was using an old method Yoda had taught him. He was clearing his mind, putting himself at ease.

He quickly shoved those thoughts away and embraced his rage like a cloak. he rose from the chamber and strode over to a comboard. He flicked it on and waited. Within seconds, Mara’s face hovered into view. She looked as if she had just been awakened, hair in disarray, but her eyes were still sharp, and beautiful.

“What is our progress into Federation space?”

“Admiral Kittaine has reported that we engaged and destroyed the Federation Seventh fleet, 220 starships, no losses to our own forces, but we lost nearly 3 wings of warbirds.”

“I do not want to dally any longer. I want them to know we are coming but I want to be in Earth orbit as soon as possible. I feel a disturbance in the force and I need to crush this Federation before I turn my attention to this new threat.”

“Understood my lord.” She bowed her head and paused as she examined him closely.

“Are you well, My Lord?” she asked cautiously.

He stared at her for a moment. She was so beautiful, dangerous.

“Mara, Are you free for dinner tonight?”

Mara blinked.

“My lord?”

“I thought the question was rather clear.” he answered with a soft smile.

“Of course, my lord.” She answered hesitantly

“Excellent, bring all your tactical reports with you, we’ll make this a working dinner.”

“Yes my lord.” She replied, even more confused but hiding it well. Nemesis looked into her eyes for one more second then flicked off the com. He sighed softly and walked back to his workout chamber. He had anger that needed to be released.

“Stand By.”

“All engines preparing for emergency stop.” Janeway replied.

“All hands, brace for impact.” Archer announced then held on to his command chair’s armrests.

“Transwarp conduit collapsing in five..four..three.two..one.” Seven reported loudly over the various alarms and warning lights flashing throughout the bridge. On the view screen ahead a single Borg cube suddenly vanished as it dropped out of transwarp. The Defiant, pulled along by the intense subspace current followed the cube out of the transwarp conduit and flipped into real space.

“All power to engines, bring us to a full stop!” Archer ordered.

The Defiant shuddered violently as its warp engines tried to compensate for the suddenly shift in position and trajectory. The small starship tumbled end over end madly for a moment before the engines finally stopped the wild spiral.

“We have come to a complete stop.” His helmsman announced.

“Activate the cloak now.” Archer snapped.

“Cloak active and functioning within parameters.” Seven reported.

“Captain?” Archer turned in his command chair to face Janeway.

“I’m relying solely on passive sensors right now, but without a doubt we are in a vital Borg cluster. I’m picking up thousands of cubes. Power readings are off the scale.”

“On screen.”

The screen flickered and soon Archer was faced with a sea of Borg cubes. Thousands of them floating serenely among the stars. Beyond the massive waves of Borg cubes was a world. The planet was covered in the fine green metallic mesh that seemed to cover all Borg cubes. Strange emerald lights flashed in strange synchronized patterns. Enormous metallic spires stretched up into the void above the planet. Each of the spires sprouted a dozen smaller tributaries as they rose up into the stars. Each tributary intersected with another, forming what resembled giant intricate metal spider web that encircled the world. Within each strand power coursed along conduits and large factories constructed all manner of equipment. The top most strands were obviously the shipyards. Borg cubes and spheres were emerging from the web structures at an astonishing rate.

A single moon was frozen in place above the planet, two of the longest spires punched right into the moon’s surface and a lattice work of metal work and conduits spread all over the moon’s surface and huge crystalline blocks were sunk into the surface at regular intervals.

The crystalline blocks were blinking or flashing furiously. Some seemed to contain storms, roiling clouds of various colors swirled within, sometimes punctuated by a flash of electricity or light. The crystalline blocks were all linked by thick conduits that flashed at odd intervals and all met at the moon’s southern pole. At the southern pole a tall spindly spire dropped down into the void, directly above a transwarp hub. The spindly tower flashed in a steady monotonous beat.

“Is that?”

“Unimatrix 001.” Seven replied coolly as she regarded the Borg home world with a strange mix of interest and apprehension.

“I’ve heard so many things, but this is beyond imagination.” Janeway breathed.

“The great crystal banks are the Borgs’ central processors, they make up the main core of the central consciousness and transmit on hyperlink frequencies to the rest of the Collective. There are many more below on the home world, sunk deep into the crust. There is more computing power in one of those crystal hubs than in all of the alpha quadrant combined.” Seven stated with a touch of pride.

“Any idea if they’ve picked us up?” Archer asked cautiously as he eyed the enormous fleet around him. Looming over the planet, right above the northern pole was a strategic cube.

“None, yet.”

“It is highly doubtful that they have not detected our presence, more likely we are not seen as a threat.”

“Considering that their great fleet just had their asses handed to them by that strange enemy force, I would say that the Federation has fallen considerably low on their list of threats and priorities.” Archer mused.

“Let’s not get too cocky captain. We are in a place that no Federation starship has ever dared tread. I think whatever we do, we should do with extreme caution. We are woefully overmatched.” Janeway cautioned.

Archer nodded and stroked his chin.

“Seven, what are the chances of an away team getting on Unimatrix 001 and not being instantly assimilated?” Archer asked.

“Captain.” Janeway cautioned.

“Unknown. There is no record of any species ever setting foot on Unimatrix 001. We would be the first.”

“Seven, don’t you encourage him. Captain. That is a VERY bad idea.”

“What do you suggest? We simply pull out and hope that the Borg don’t assimilate us on the way home. We are thousands of light years from anywhere resembling home. We are in a position no Federation crew has ever been in before. Imagine the wealth of knowledge we could find down there.”

“Imagine the horrors when you, the away team and this ship are assimilated for daring to set foot on their home world.”

“Unless I’m mistaken, they will react as they always react when a small team beams on board their ships, they will do nothing unless we become a threat, and I fully intend not to become a threat. Sometimes we have to take risks, captain.” Archer urged.

“Don’t talk to me about risks and being far from home, I have more than enough experience in those matters, captain.” She replied frostily.

Archer and Janeway stared at each other for a long quite moment.

“Perhaps it would be best for us to do so for another reason.” Seven interjected quietly. Both captains turned and faced her with stony faces.

“The Borg data systems are all linked to the Unimatrix, there is nothing that happens to even a single Borg drone that is not instantly relayed to the Unimatrix. Perhaps we can discover more about this new alien force with a quick download. Just two or three people beam down to a location I can determine is relatively unimportant so as not to arouse Borg suspicion and I will attempt the quick download.”

Janeway frowned slightly but Archer nodded.

“You know she’s right captain. Our standing orders were to penetrate Borg space and discover what has them so frazzled. It could be a preemptive measure. Imagine what would happen if that battle fleet we just saw tear through the Borg decided to set their sight s on the Federation? We need as much knowledge as we can get.” Archer stated firmly.

Janeway looked between both Seven and Archer and shook her head slowly.

“I can’t agree wholeheartedly with this idea, but I don’t see another alternative other than running and gaining nothing from this.”

“You can stay onboard captain and Seven, myself and a security officer will beam down and secure the data.”

“You know, I should be the one going down there, this is your ship after all and I’m just visiting.” Janeway noted wanly.

“Captain, I would consider it a personal favor if you let me go on this one.” Archer whispered to Janeway and looked up at her expectantly.

“Let’s get this over with before I change my mind.” She muttered angrily.

Archer smiled.

Seven could not help but glance back at the Unimatrix with an odd sense of anticipation and fear.

“Me?” Kirk replied flabbergasted.

“Yes, you. Did you think that all those trips through time were free of charge? Did you think you could toy with the very fabric of space time at a whim and not have repercussions?” Q asked indignantly. It was distracting to Kirk that Q was wearing Kirk’s exact uniform.

“What are you talking about? It’s not like I’ve made it some kind of habit.”

“There was one moment where you shone as a species, back in your depression era United states.”

Kirk’s face immediately darkened.

“That’s enough, Trelayne. I won’t listen to you anymore and if you mention her I swear I’ll-“

Q held up a hand.

“I will say no more. But there was one instance where you saved a timeline compared to all the others where you fumbled about like blind men in a darkened room, not having a care in the world to what you were doing.” Q held up a hand and there was a small flash of light.

A galaxy floated in the palm of his hand, an elliptical one, dense with stars and dust.

“For every paradox you create in your travels, the universe tries to correct itself. Some corrections are slight and barely perceptible.” There was a brief flash within the galaxy, a star had flashed out into what was obviously supposed to represent a super nova of some kind. “Others are more elaborate.” The galaxy exploded into a field of stellar dust and debris.

Q lowered his hand.

“I tried to teach Picard this not very long ago, but as usual, as soon as the crisis was diverted, there was no more memory or thought put to the gentle lessons of Q.”

Kirk stared at him for a while, puzzled by Trelayne’s words. Was it possible, could the paradoxes they had created in some of their travels have caused this cataclysm?

“Kirk, it’s not just you, however. You are the starting point, the origin of the crisis that grips our reality. But others have built upon it. And there is one who has put the final push on our slide to oblivion.”

Q flashed and appeared right next to Kirk, he rested a hand on Kirk’s shoulder.

“The universe is loaded down with the weight of your paradoxes, each one like a millstone around the neck of poor reality, the rules it lives by cannot accept paradoxes, but the universe is an incredibly malleable and resilient thing. It can bend its own laws in order to maintain existence. But there is only so much it can take before.” Q pointed above to the growing patches of darkness spreading across the ocean of galaxies. “Phfft!”

“Captain Katherine Janeway is the final nail in the coffin. Bringing with her technology centuries ahead of anything in the present, she has, in the quaint phraseology of your people, polluted the time line. Every time someone uses the technology, even looks at it, another paradox is created. Her actions alone have created thousands of tiny paradoxes that have brought reality to its knees like a swarm of bees. They have stung it over and over and now, reality, in a desperate attempt to rectify the situation has lashed out and tried to settle the issue.”

Q leaned in closer, his voice a whisper.

“Unfortunately there is only one solution when faced with a million impossibilities. It all must come to an end.”

“How will it end?” Kirk asked darkly.

Q stared at him for a long moment, the impish smile gone, the twinkle in his eye replaced by a dark foreboding.

“We don’t know.”

Kirk looked shocked.

“It’s a sad fact but how the universe will end, whether in a whimper or in bang is unknown to us. There are some in the continuum that believe that the universe will simply wind down like some old toy and just fade away into oblivion. There are some that believe that the universe will not allow itself to simply fade away and this universal cataclysm is actually the universe hitting reset and starting the whole process over again, perhaps hoping that it will not create beings who are arrogant enough to toy with the very fabric of space time.” Q answered.

“How do I stop it?” Kirk pressed.

Q flashed him a mysterious smile.

“Who said you could?”

“I refuse to accept that the universe will end and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it!” Kirk protested.

“Just because you hate to lose doesn’t mean that losing is not an option. We all lose Kirk, and there are such things as no win scenarios.”

“I don’t believe that you would bring me here, show me this, admit your own ignorance just to spite me. There is a reason why I am here and if I’m the cause then I want to be the cure. Let me end this, just tell me what I have to do.”

“I gave you the answer. There is nothing to be done. Do you honestly think that the Q want to end? If the continuum cannot halt the erosion of the universe then what makes you think that you glorified monkeys can do it?” Q replied haughtily.

Kirk frowned and took a step forward.

“You need me to stop this. I think I know enough about you Reliance to know that you would not taunt me with this if there was not a solution. You played a game with me once, and I beat you. Let this be another game then, you set the rules and I’ll play along but let me save reality, let me set things right.” Kirk demanded.

Q watched him with hooded eyes.

There was a deafening silence on the asteroid where they floated.

“A game? How ironic. You already are part of a game. But I digress. I will tell you this much and we will see how well you do Captain. The continuum has given up on humanity, you caused this mess after all. But I have a spark of hope. Let’s see if I’m as big a fool as some would make me out to be, hmmm?”

Kirk waited, staring at this child god. Not so much the child anymore. There was a definite wisdom to Trelayne that had not been there before.

“This is a temporal problem, it needs a temporal solution. The answer is in your past, in your adventures, the others have forgotten much but you are a wealth of information. Defeat the empire, and you may defeat this problem, but you will not be able to win this game if you cannot defeat them.”

“Defeat the empire? That’s hardly fair, we are overmatched.”

“Since when has that stopped you before?” Q shot back.

Kirk scowled then sighed heavily.

“Think of it as your no win situation. It is a test of character Kirk, the question is, do you have what it takes to save reality?” Q asked darkly.

Kirk began to reply when the void and asteroid began to quickly fade. Q looked a little annoyed as he faded as well.

“This is why I hate talking to you creatures in your dreams, one never knows when you’re going to wake up.”

“Trelayne, wait, I need more-“

“Your past will save us all Kirk, but so could it doom us all as well. He is playing against you.”

“Who is playing against me?! Trelayne!”

Kirk awoke with a start and quickly scanned his quarters. Nothing. he was alone in his room, the blanket was crumpled up and thrown to one corner of his bed and sweat cooled on his bare chest.

“Bridge to Captain.”

Kirk hesitantly reached over and switched on the com.

“Kirk here.”

“Captain, we’ve dropped out of hyperspace and we are in Earth orbit. You should come to the bridge. There are some questions that Starfleet needs answered immediately.” Spock reported.

“I’m on my way.” Kirk replied and switched off the com. He started getting dressed. As he slipped on his uniform shirt he stopped to see the three dimensional chess board. The pieces had been moved. Someone had started a game. The opening move was very familiar. Disturbingly so.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

HA! I am first!

Sticks tongue out at Mr Bean :P
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
CorSec
Jedi Knight

Post by CorSec »

I've only read through the dream sequence, but I simply couldn't wait any longer.

Stravo, if you were a woman, I'd kiss you like you'd never been kissed before. You've taken my favorite scene and made it better (arguably the best scene of all of the movies). This is by leaps and bounds better than any single Star Wars fiction, and certainly the best ST v SW fiction I've ever read. To put it most succinctly, you are The Man, period.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Stravo wrote:“I’m on my way.” Kirk replied and switched off the com. He started getting dressed. As he slipped on his uniform shirt he stopped to see the three dimensional chess board. The pieces had been moved. Someone had started a game. The opening move was very familiar. Disturbingly so.
Woah. Somebody just ripped Stravo's shirt.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

HA! I am first!

Sticks tongue out at Mr Bean
The Unverise Rages in Respones, Half a dozen stars inexbility Go Nova, A species of Highly Advanced Toll Booth clearners is suddenly destryoed, And on a small rock called Earth a Piano inexbilty falls on a small child in a orange sweatshirt

Thankfuly the piano is unharmed

starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

really nice, the part of Darth nemsis and Luke skywalker was a neat twist. 8)
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

OK, folks, here is chapter 16.

Chapter 16: The Calm Before the Storm

Captain Ochoa sighed softly as he tipped his king. Another gambit had failed.

“You’re a fast learner.”

“It’s essentially a game of strategy, we soldiers have to live and breath this stuff.” Han replied.

“You know, I’ve only known you for a week now, but I can tell when something is bothering you. Want to talk about it before I whoop your ass in the next round?” Ochoa asked with a smile. He deftly began reorganizing the pieces as he spoke. Despite being blind, he knew his way around his own 3-D chess board. He had asked Han if he could recover it from the Thunderchild in exchange for eating again. Han agreed only if Ochoa taught him how to play.

Han had become a 3-D chess junkie and Ochoa enjoyed it. Han had a sharp mind and was a quick learner. There were many enjoyable hours spent over the board these last few days, punctuated by some battle alerts.

“If I were a betting man, I would say that your worry has to do with those battle alerts which have grown more constant in the last day or so.” Ochoa continued nonchalantly as he laid out the last few pieces.

Han was silent for a moment.

“How would you feel if I told you that we are going to invade Earth in the next hour?”

Ochoa froze.

“What?” he asked softly.

“My unit has been called up to serve, I serve in a front line planetary assault division which tells me that we are actually going to land troops on Earth.”

“We’re attacking earth and you never told me?” Ochoa demanded angrily.

“Ochoa, please, this reaction is precisely why I haven’t old you. Have you been listening at all to me these last few days? The Empire is here to bring order to this galaxy, how do you think we do that? We impose order where it must be imposed.”

“You conquer innocent worlds that want nothing to do with your empire. The last time I checked, earth was the heart of the Federation, a legitimate government that imposes its own order and its population, we certainly don’t need any of your help to do that.” Ochoa spat.

“Are we going to get into this again?” Han sighed.

“You’re invading my homeworld, Han. What in the hell did you expect my reaction would be?” Ochoa exclaimed.

“Alright, its obvious that I made a mistake telling you. I have to go.”

He could hear Han get up from the floor opposite him and gather his things.

“Aren’t you going to wish me ill? Maybe hope that one of your people gets a shot off at me?” Han asked, almost sounding as if he hoped Ochoa would say so.

Ochoa stared into the darkness, in the general vicinity where he thought Han was standing.

“No. I don’t wish you any ill. You have been nothing but kind to me.”

“I wouldn’t blame you. We can be quite…harsh during a landing. It will not be pretty for your world.”

“Why are you baiting me? Is there something bothering YOU? You sound as if you NEED me to hate you, to wish you ill.”

“Don’t be foolish.” Han replied in a snort. He did not sound convincing to Ochoa.

“I do not wish you ill at all. I want you to come back in one piece. But maybe you can do something for me.”

Han remained silent.

“If you can, can you get a message to my wife?”

“Ochoa, I’m a soldier of the empire, not your personal messenger. If I were you, I’d hope that my wife is no where near the drop zones.”

Ochoa frowned.

“I’m just asking you to let her know I’m OK. Even if you just post it at a message center, she can receive it. I can give you my personal code. If you can just let her know that and that I love my daughter very much.”

Han shifted uncomfortably on his feet.

“I’ll do what I can.”

“Han, sometimes I think that no one cares anymore. That the universe died around me and I sit in this darkness without solace, wondering if I’m already dead and this is it. I just want to let the universe know that I still care, that I love my wife, my daughter and that I care. Sometimes I think the universe forgets that.” he said suddenly in a burst of emotion and sat back, head down into his chest, ashamed for having spoken so before an enemy soldier.

There was silence and darkness.

“Ochoa, I care.” Han replied and started to step out of the cell.

“Han!” He could hear Han standing in the doorway. “Keep your head down. I haven’t had a good 3D chess partner in a long time. Come back in one peace, compadre.”

“Do you want to know something, Ochoa? You sit there, in the darkness and you still believe. I don’t know if I have that kind of strength. I don’t know if I have that kind of faith. I have had many lies in my life, so you’ll forgive me if I’m a little callous.”

“No need to forgive, Han. You are who you are. Sometimes, you have to believe even in the darkest hole in the world. Once you stop believing, you’re no longer a human being, you’re something a lot darker.”

“More machine than man?” Han asked curiously and left.

What did that mean?

He remained seated for a long time in the cool darkness. Then he heard a soft rustle of satin on grass. He turned and smiled into the warm sunlight on his face. his daughter skipped up to him and landed in his lap. He groaned at her weight and laughed as she curled her little stubby fat fingers under his arms to tickle him.

“You be careful honey.” he whispered to her and held her close, smelling her hair, like summer grass in the rain. “I love you.” he whispered and the sun was gone and his child’s weight lifted and he found himself in the darkness again. The first patters of wetness on his lap were the only sign that he had begun to sob.

“I honestly don’t know how you do it, Mr. President. Your Federation seems to enjoy becoming the prime targets of the most powerful foes in this galaxy, us, the Borg now this Galactic Empire. We happen to know that they conquered the Romulan empire in a matter of hours. It will be a difficult but glorious battle!” Chancellor Martok growled, his image hovered in a hologram over the Federation Council’s Main audience chamber. The president nodded to the image of Martok.

“Then I take it the Klingon Empire will be lending their support to our war effort against the Galactic Empire?” The president asked.

“You assume correctly, however, our fleet is not as large as it once was, we will not be able to devote the numbers that we did against the Dominion. We will need to keep the heart of our fleet close to home, to counteract the Empire’s obvious FTL advantage. Our strategists believe that they can deploy ships anywhere within the Alpha Quadrant in a matter of hours.” Martok replied sourly.

“Our experience is that the Imperial forces are limited in the speed of their advance by the Romulan ships in their fleets. They can only move as fast as the slowest Warbird which gives us a slight advantage. Currently our fleets are trying to slow the Imperial advance by focusing our attacks on the Romulan contingents. This forces the Imperial warships to stay behind and protect their picket ships.”

“A wise strategy but one that will not last long, I fear. Once the Empire sets its sights on a target very little will slow them down.”

“I need to know, Chancellor, how many Klingon ships can we expect in our defense of Earth? Starfleet has managed to deploy three fleets with elements of two more fleets arriving within twelve hours. We hope to have close to a thousand ships ready to make a stand here.”

Martok frowned and rubbed his chin.

“I cannot deploy more than a single Klingon fleet at this time. We will have 300 Klingon warships at Earth in 48 hours.”

“48 Hours is cutting it very close, our worst case estimates put the Empire in the Sol system in under 52 hours.” Admiral Ross interjected.

“Ah, Admiral Ross, good to see you again, however, I cannot promise you anything else. It takes time to warp to Earth and we have to secure our own flanks now that the Romulans have taken to joining with this enemy. I am not at Quo'nos right now, my flagship is currently touring the outer empire, this does not help the situation as it will take time to relay the proper orders.”

Ross nodded reluctantly. Martok was right. The Empire was simply moving too fast to erect a viable defense.

“On behalf of the Federation I would like to thank you for your help, Chancellor.” The president stated.

Martok was about to respond when an aide stepped into view and started whispering fervently into his ear. Martok’s face betrayed anger and surprise. He nodded to his aid, shouted something in Klingon and turned back to the Federation president and council.

“The Empire and Romulan forces have started an offensive into Klingon space. The Empire is making it very clear that they are heading straight for Quo’nos. I can no longer promise those ships, Mr. president. It seems we face the same danger and the Klingon fleet will need every ship it has to protect the homeworld. If we survive the battle, we promise to join the Federation in defeating this Empire and sending them back to wherever it is they came from. Until then Mr. President, we will meet at the other side of battle, Kaplah!” he saluted and the hologram winked out.

Murmurs swiftly flashed through the assembled audience.

“It seems that the Empire has been one step ahead of us. They deprived us of valuable support for the defense effort.” Ross whispered to the president.

The president nodded slowly.

“Bring the others forward. Let us hope they have some good news for us.”

Ross nodded and motioned to several people standing out of view.

Princess Leia, Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock all stepped into view of the assembled Council and the President. Leia noted the stares. Ever since they had arrived on Earth and Kirk had been receiving the queerest stares and double takes. Many were outright awe and worship, some were shock and disbelief. She was not quite sure why it was but she assumed he was a very important man in their command structure.

So far, things did not look good for this federation. Their weapons and defensive systems were simply not up to the challenge of Imperial technology. Their weapons were primitive and low yield. Their defensive shields were nearly as useless. She had seen civilian craft with better shielding than their top of the line warships. Their warp drive was incredibly slow, obviously keeping them from expanding much further out than a quadrant of their galaxy. She had not seen much in their favor against a well organized Imperial strike force, the size of a standard sector fleet.

They were simply outmatched.

But then again, wasn’t that the Rebel Alliance’s current situation. With only a handful of true capital ships and some daring starfighter pilots they had fought the Empire and were still alive. How could she denigrate their chances?

There was one obvious advantage. Their leadership. So far, if James Kirk was the standard Federation officer, the Federation stood a chance. Perhaps they could pull this through sheer hope, determination and courage.

Her thoughts briefly flashed to Luke and his twisted new found path. Vader must have torn his mind apart. She understood, out of all the Alliance top officials, only she had been in the hands of the empire and had experienced first hand the horrors they could visit on another human being. She had felt the pain of the probes, the mind altering fog of the drugs, the hot cut of vibro blades on flesh. She had very nearly broken under Vader’s torture. He did not know how close he had come to making her tell him everything.

But then he came. Young, dashing, slightly confused. He had rescued her, along with Han. She stopped and bit her lip, fighting the tears that threatened to well up in her eyes. She would not think of him.

“I love you.”

“I know.”

She would NOT think of him.

“Gentlebeings of the Federation, I am Captain James Tiberius Kirk, I have come here with a representative of the Rebel Alliance of the home galaxy that our new found enemy the Galactic Empire originates from.”

“We are well aware of who you are captain. With all due respect, do you realize that your very presence here is polluting the timeline?” Admiral Ross asked.

“Yes sir, I am well aware that I do not belong here, but as of now, I am the only Federation starship captain, save for captain Entebbe of the Sagan who has survived a direct encounter with the Empire.”

“Actually, if I may, we survived two direct encounters with the Empire.” Spock added.

“Be that as it may, Captain, I realize that now is not the time to worry about timelines and other esoteric concerns. Right now a massive enemy armada is less than three days from Earth and they wield a firepower greater than a thousand Borg cubes. Considering the stress a single cube’s incursion causes on our defenses you can imagine that we are on the verge of panic in may quarters. Is there anything you can add to these proceedings that will help shed light on our options?” The president asked sternly.

“I believe that Princess Leia is far better qualified than I am to answer that question.” Kirk responded and motioned to Leia. She cleared her throat and looked up at the assembled Federation officials. In many ways they reminded her of the Alliance government in exile. A variety of aliens and humans that spanned a hundred star systems all working together towards a greater good.

“Gentlebeings, my name is Princess Leia Organa. I am a representative of the Rebel Alliance. We have been struggling against the Empire for over a decade and we are intimately familiar with their strategies, tactics, weapons, everything that you will need to know to prosecute a war with them.”

“Let me help the princess with a quick rundown of our current deployment.” Ross interjected and rose pointing to a screen behind them. It winkled on and there was a representation of the Sol system and several surrounding star systems. Several fleets were deployed within the Sol system, elements were inbound from all corners of the screen. At the extreme left corner of the screen was a massive red threat symbol. The symbol for the Seventh Fleet was crossed out beneath the threat display.

“The Seventh fleet engaged the Imperial fleet five hours ago. The fleet was ordered to draw as many Imperial fleet elements into the fight as possible, their main priority was to slow the advance.”

“They used the Seventh fleet as a delaying force, an entire Federation fleet to just slow them down, unheard of.” Kirk whispered to Spock.

“Using their warp drives they managed to survive the initial engagements and draw the battle out. Despite the Empire’s overwhelming firepower and FTL advantage they are still inexperienced with fighting warp driven craft. They are still uncertain as to the full capabilities of our warp drives, added to that the seventh fleet had recently been upgraded with some of the transwarp technology that Captain Katherine Janeway brought back with her.”

Kirk’s ears perked up at this. “Spock remind me to get some information on this Captain Janeway as soon as we get out of here.” Kirk whispered.

“Thus even the Romulans were in the dark as to the full capabilities of these drives. The ships were able to warp in and out of the field of engagement at will. By doing this we were able to drag the entire Imperial fleet into battle, inflict heavy casualties against the Romulan elements of the fleet. Only now has the fleet gotten underway again to earth.”

Ross pointed up at the Alpha Centauri system.

“The 12th and 3rd fleets are contributing to the defense of Proxima Centauri. We believe that the Empire will engage the fleets at Proxima Centauri giving us some more time to shore up our defenses here on Earth.”

“In other words those two fleets are supposed to be a trip wire force to slow the enemy down and let us know that they’re coming.” Kirk replied sharply, aghast at the use of Federation ships and crew as simple delaying devices.”

“We have no choice captain. Command needs time to get our defenses in order and time is one thing the Empire is not giving us.” Ross replied darkly.

“Sir, if I may, I have looked at your deployments and examined the schematics that Captain Kirk and Captain Entebbe have provided me in terms of fire power and defensive technology and I can only recommend one course of action.”

The council and President all leaned forward with anticipation.

“You need to evacuate the leadership from this planet and quickly displace into deep space, away from Imperial scanners and redeploy in secret locations.” She stated evenly.

There was stunned silence in the chamber.

“Are you seriously suggesting we abandon the seat of the Federation government?” The president asked in shock.

“I am sorry, but quite frankly there is no way that your Starfleet as it is currently deployed is going to be able to stop the Imperial advance. There are over a dozen Imperator class stardestroyers in bound, with a Executor class command ship that happens to be deploying a superlaser that can shatter continents in a single shot. They will be merciless in the attack, they will not stop until they have victory and they have leading them a Sith Lord.”

“A Sith what?” One of the council members asked annoyed. He looked to Leia like a great big pig, with snout and all staring down at her with beady little eyes.

“A Sith Lord. They are beings that can manipulate the Force.”

“What kind of force, electromagnetic? Antimatter?” Another counsel member asked.

Leia realized that they did not have the time to completely fill in these people on the facts of Imperial power. She had to convince them to do precisely what they did not want to do. Run.

“Think of it as an extrasensory ability. A Sith lord can predict an enemy’s actions and inspire his troops with terror, he is after all the direct representative of the Emperor himself.”

“Extrasensory? You’re telling us they have some form of spiritual power?” another representative asked slightly annoyed as well.

“More superstitious nonsense.” The pig like alien spat.

“I would remind the council that Vulcan religious beliefs have been denigrated as such before. We take offense to hasty generalizations.” The Vulcan council member interjected coolly.

“Isn’t taking offense, emotional?” the pig like alien replied glibly.

Leia noted Kirk roll his eyes and shake his head.

Obviously this Federation’s government shared more with the Alliance than she had first guessed.

“Please, if we can get back to the point, Princess, we have been in existence for centuries, we are not about to run and hide. We are going to make a stand here.”

“That is precisely what the Empire wants, Mr. President. They want you to make a stand so that they can deal with you in one battle instead of a thousand smaller battles.”

“What you are describing is a guerilla action. We have been a proud Federation of star systems for centuries. We have been a legitimate government with a Starfleet for defense. We are not guerillas skulking about afraid to make a stand against a greater foe.”

Leia smiled softly.

“The Rebel Alliance has survived against the Empire, precisely because we do skulk about. We are facing a foe that has usurped the legitimate government of a body that spans an entire galaxy and has stood for many millennia, so you can see why I don’t see why you are so averse to accepting reality. My plan assures your survival. Your government will still exist, so will your Starfleet and they are the most precious commodity you have now. Every starship that the Empire can destroy in this hopeless battle is one less starship that they will need to face in the future. You will need numbers to bring their capital ships down.”

“If we cannot defeat them here, why will we be able to defeat them later?” another counsel member pressed.

“There are certain basics you have to face. One, victory will not come in a day or even a year. You are facing a long term battle but one that you can win because the Imperial forces are far from home, cut off from supplies and every Imperial ship you destroy is one that they cannot replace. Two, you need to learn when to fight, you set the initiative, you have to make them react to you.” As Leia spoke she realized that’s he was repeating the same words that Mon Mothma shared with her when she joined the Alliance so long ago. She remembered looking up at the older senator with a mix of reverence and impatience. She was so fiery back then, she could not wait to tear the empire down with her own bare hands.

“Three, certain compromises have to be made in order to survive. Secrets must be kept, lies must be told. The Empire will have all the advantages save one, they will not know everything about you. They are like a mailed fist, they can crush any opposition but lack the finer dexterity and grace that is needed to rule. That leads to my final point. Their own weaknesses must be used against them. They are a dictatorship and as such, their subjects will be ruled by fear, you must inspire those under their rule to rise up. If you get the entire galaxy to rise up they will not be able to function. Quite simply, their first instinct is to squeeze tightly, and you must make sure that the harder they squeeze the more star systems will slip through their fingers.”

The council members exchanged troubled glances. The president stared down at her stoically. Ross looked solemn. There was one thing he could not deny. Even the most optimistic strategists in Command were extremely doubtful they could stop the Imperial attack on Earth. But Starfleet had been ordered to hold the line and Starfleet would do as it was told as it always did, without complaint and with honor.

He hoped that this young woman from another galaxy could influence these men before it was too late.

“I cannot accept that we have no hope.” The president sighed, but the slouch in his shoulders betrayed that he may have suddenly realized just how untenable their position really was.

“Mr. president, if I may, we’re not talking about defeat here. We are talking about survival. By retreating from Earth and setting up the Federation away from the Imperial reach we put ourselves in a position to strike back. From our secret bases we can build up our forces and push these dictators from another galaxy back to where they came from and show them that the Federation does not surrender. Freedom is not easily set aside and only taken with blood.” Kirk interjected. Leia watched him as he spoke and he reminded her of Garm Bel Iblis, the same defiant stance, the proud toss of the head, the cool calm but inspiring tone. He was a leader and she would need him if they were going to carry out this campaign against the Empire. This Federation would have to survive if she was going to face Luke.

“A fine speech, Kirk, but this is not your Federation. We have slowly built something grand since your time, something that spans more than three times the world and space that you knew, we cannot simply walk away.”

“I find it hard to believe that a Tellarite does not want to see the practical side of an argument. Your people have always been the level headed species of the Federation.” Kirk replied seriously.

The pig faced council member, that Leia now knew was a Tellarite seemed a little taken aback by Kirk’s words. She eyed Kirk with admiration. He was a deft manipulator, not only a captain but a diplomat. He would have gone very far in the Alliance.

“Sir, we have close to a thousand starships in orbit, defensive batteries are being deployed in orbit and fleet elements are being brought in from all corners of the Federation. We need to make a decision now.” Ross pressed.

The president nodded after a moment.

“Princess, it is your belief that our position is untenable?”

“I have it all outlined in the report Mr. Spock is handing out. I detail the estimated firepower of an Imperator Class Stardestroyer as well as upper limits on shield strength. I compare it to ship figures given to me by Captain Entebbe using the latest Starfleet database, as well as factoring in the Romulan fleet elements and it becomes painfully clear that your Starfleet simply cannot stand against the Imperial fleet. Your only and best option is to retreat and set up your government away from any known worlds in your Federation and defeat the Empire form underground. I can help you do this. The Alliance has decades of experience against the Empire and I am more than willing to help you in this struggle. Your fight becomes my fight.”

“Just out of curiosity, Princess, where is the rest of your Alliance? Your ship in orbit, though impressive is admittedly a light warship, a frigate or destroyer. If your Alliance has been so successful, I would have thought that they would have sent a greater contingent to help us.” A new council member spoke in a soft near whisper. He had a pair of antennae at the top of his head and soft powder blue skin.

“My ship is all the Alliance could spare. We are currently about to engage in a battle that has taken all our resources in the hopes of killing the Emperor and destroying a weapon of mass destruction all at the same time. It is our hope that his death will spark a power struggle within the Empire and leave it vulnerable to further attacks.”

“I see.” The council member nodded.

“Princess Leia has come has come a long way on her own to a galaxy that she does not know to help us. They could have ignored our plea for help.”

“Funny thing is Captain Kirk, I don’t recall us sending out such a plea.” Ross replied.

Kirk looked a little chagrined.

“It’s all in my report, Admiral.”

“Yes, the Prophets of Bajor and Captain Sisko, who was reported missing in action after the Dominion War both helped you set up a wormhole to Princess Leia’s galaxy.” Ross replied with a note of incredulity.

“That’s all true, gentlebeings, and if you please, now is not the time to nitpick at details that at this moment are not as important as the survival of the Federation. All of you know me, I have lived my life by a code of honor we all share. The Federation is the most important thing in my life, I would give my life for her and I certainly intend to fight for her, but if you indeed hold me to be a paragon of command as many of you seem to do, then believe me when I tell you that now is not the time to fight. This is not cowardice talking, I have never run from a fight in my life…that is a fight that I can win. This is a fight we cannot win, not now. We need to regroup and approach this enemy from a different perspective.”

“So you advocate that we run?” the Tellarite asked tersely.

“I advocate that we survive. The Federation will die this day if we stand and fight now. The ships above us will be destroyed and the leadership captured by the enemy, Starfleet command will be destroyed and then what good will that do for the rest of the Federation? If indeed this Federation has grown so much since my time, then surely we can see that one world, even if it is Earth cannot be indispensable. We will return some day and liberate her, but we accomplish absolutely nothing if we stand here and die.” Kirk replied sternly, looking into the eyes of each counsel member and the president.

“The counsel will deliberate this matter. The rest of you are dismissed.” the president announced.

Kirk nodded and strode out of the conference chamber followed closely by Leia and Spock.

“Do you think they will retreat?” Leia asked. If they did not then this entire journey was for nothing.

Kirk sighed softly as they stopped in an antechamber where other dignitaries and officers were gathering, waiting impatiently for a decision that would impact all their lives.

“I honestly don’t know. This is not my time, I don’t know any of these people and this Federation seems different somehow, bogged down by bureaucracy and the like. I just hope they make the right decision.”

“Everyone keeps talking as if you don’t belong here.” Leia asked curiously.

“I’m a man out of time. Trust me, you don’t want to know, just thinking about the paradoxes I’m creating by standing here gives me a headache.” he replied with a boyish grin. Leia could not help smiling in return.

Suddenly captain Entebbe bulled his way past a phalanx of officers and stood before Kirk.

“Captain Entebbe, I’m so sorry you weren’t part of that.” Kirk said with a smile. He genuinely liked the man, quiet but confident. Considering all that they had been through, to think the man commanded a science vessel made Kirk admire him even more. Never once had he faltered during their mission to the wormhole or during their flight from the empire.

“Never mind that Captain Kirk, I found it!”

“Excuse me?” Kirk asked a little confused by the sudden change in gears. Entebbe’s first officer appeared beside him, her cool Vulcan demeanor untouched by the excitement around them.

“That thing you were looking for.” Entebbe replied meaningfully. Kirk’s eyes widened slightly.

“Can we get it without anyone knowing?”

“That is unadvisable sir. We would be stealing Federation property.” Entebbe’s first officer interjected.

“We’re talking about the survival of the Federation.” Kirk replied.

“You know what? Why don’t you go stand over there and find out what the Vulcan mission thinks about the upcoming vote.” Entebbe ordered. She arched an eyebrow and slowly walked away.

Kirk grinned. Leia looked between both men confused and turned to Spock.

“What are they talking about?”

“I am not at liberty to say other than it is a delicate situation but one that could help us in the coming battle.” Spock replied.

“You guys are worse than Alliance intelligence.” she muttered.

“I think we can, but it will take precision planning. I’m having a mock up replicated to be exchanged at precisely the moment their field sensors realign.” Entebbe stated. Kirk nodded. He was indeed a good man.

“Captain, I have no idea what I would have done without you.” Kirk replied and clapped Entebbe on the shoulder. Entebbe smiled sardonically.

“High praise from my boyhood hero.”

“Do you mind, you’re making me feel old.” Kirk replied with a wink.

Murmurs suddenly erupted from the front of the room. Admiral Ross stepped out into the antechamber.

“Gentlebeings, the counsel has voted, due to the emergency nature of this crisis there was no time for debate but the decision is as follows.” Ross looked over at Kirk and Leia.

“Evacuation of Earth begins now, all Starfleet personnel report to your posts and as of now, 0900 hours, all ensigns and trainees of the Academy have been given field promotions and mobilized with duties to perform, mainly, we must hold the line until all command craft and key civilian personnel are evacuated. This announcement coincides with another,” Ross paused. “The Imperial forces have engaged elements of the fleets in Proxima Centauri, however, the commanders of the Proxima defensive fleet make this very clear. No Imperial warships are among the fleet elements at Proxima. This means, officers and delegates, that the main body of Imperial ships has bypassed Proxima and are heading straight for Earth.” The murmurs became shouts of alarm. “We have less than 10 hours before the Imperial fleet arrives.” Ross declared.

Acting Captain William T. Riker watched the fleet assembling around Earth, hundreds of starships were circling the planet like a string of pearls. Many more were out by Luna orbit and large tugs were pulling orbital batteries up from storage spaces on Earth into high orbit.

“Mr. Data, how long until the main line is up and running?” Riker asked as he saw a flight of Defiants deftly weave through the assembled fleets and rocket out to beyond Luna’s orbit. Within their holds, they carried the self replicating mines used at DS9 during the Dominion War. The Defiants would seed the most likely approach routes with the mines, in the hopes that they could deter aggressive action into the fleet. Riker had seen their ships in action from the transmissions during the battle of Typhon with the Seventh Fleet. He sincerely doubted that the mines would do much against those behemoths.

“Three more hours and all orbital batteries will be in place, the main mine fields will be active and Starbase 1 will have all weapons emplacements fully charged. Earth’s defensive lines will be active.” Data replied.

“I wonder if it will really be enough.” Riker murmured. He glanced over at the Deanna’s station. She was at Bet Zed on a long term assignment, helping to rebuild there after the Dominion invasion. He needed her now, someone to talk to you, to alleviate his concerns that this battle would be nothing more than a last stand.

“Computing the relative strengths of Imperial warships and are own, using the Battle of Typhon as a benchmark I would have to say that there is extremely little chance of repelling the Imperial attack.” Data replied.

Riker smirked.

“Data, has anyone ever told you that you are a wonder for morale.” Riker commented sardonically.

Data looked slightly confused.

“I was endeavoring to answer your question, sir. I did not mean to offend.”

“It’s alright Data. I guess we’re all a little on edge these days.”

The doors to the bridge hissed open and Geordie walked in. He was sporting a regen patch on his arm. It had been shattered in several locations from a fall he took in Engineering during their battle with the Romulans at the neutral zone. In fact, the Enterprise herself was a little worse for wear, burn and scorch marks were interspersed throughout the bridge, one station was being replaced, the housing destroyed by a ruptured plasma conduit.

“The majority of our battle damage in engineering has been repaired, just like I promised, our shields and weapons our back to maximum effectiveness.”

“Thanks, Geordie. Sorry about the lack of support we’ve gotten from Starfleet but we simply don’t have the men to spare to replace the ones we’ve lost. Right now every available person is being used to shore up our defenses and man ships that our being pulled out of dry-dock. They even have ensigns and trainees down on the surface digging trenches…trenches, can you believe that?” Riker replied with a sad shake of his head.

“One thing’s for sure, Captain, it’s not going to be pretty.” Geordie glanced around and took a step closer to Riker. “And I wish we had Captain Picard with us, it just doesn’t seem right what happened to him.”

Riker nodded.

“Let’s just hope that as usual, reports of his death prove to be exaggerated.”

An alarm sounded on Data’s board. HE glanced down and turned to face Riker.

“Captain, perimeter alarms at Pluto have detected subspace turbulence caused by the bow front of interdimensional eddies we have previously identified as hyperspace travel.”

“Now?! How much lead time does that give us before they arrive.”

Data did not hesitate to answer.

“One hour.”

“All hands, to battle stations.” Riker slammed his fist down on the command chair’s armrest.

“The Empire is early.”

Just to Whet your appetites: Chapter 17 is titled: The Battle of Sector 001 Pt. 1 :twisted:

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hmm new chapter.
Supermod