The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Seven Up

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

needs to be exploding
nobody_really
Youngling

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Six Up

Post by nobody_really »

Thank you for an enjoyable chapter, and the insight that Army medics would be so petty as to not let navy doctors know about best techniques. I must admit, I was a little confused when you pointed that out in your spoiler reply. Also, very cool that you're giving Elhmas some obfuscating stupidity when around Michael's circle. It makes me wonder if he knows more about Michael's plans than he's letting on.
Stuart wrote: ... but they [Michael and Raphael] don't know humans the way I do.
Heheheh, and how.
Stuart wrote: Enatenael-Lan, take one cohort of the Incomparable Legion and its human levies. That'll give you 10,000 angels and five times that number of levies. Keep pushing at the forces the humans throw at you. Once they've stripped the rest of their perimeter to stop you, I'll lead the other nine Cohorts and their levies in. They'll punch right through the thinned-out human lines. It'll be rough on you and your Cohort but it'll cost us less overall.
I wonder if Enatenael-Lan-Elhmas will realize how fucked he is and surrender before he gets his ass blowed up.
Stuart wrote: "So, we hit this army hard. Give them a butcher's bill that'll make their eyes water."
(Yeah, probably not.)
Stuart wrote: "My name is Memnon, I am currently Minister of Communications in the Government of President Abigor..."
So that's what happened to our (my) favorite Karma Houdini character.
Stuart wrote: The doctors said that it was because metal fragments from the missile warheads were interfering with the nerves and blood vessels but I think it was because the fragments were iron and iron is poison to us."
So we still don't have an answer as to whether or not it was the shrapnel itself or the fact it was iron. Oh well.
Stuart wrote: Zinder thought carefully. He could see several problems with this, not least of which was obvious from Memnon's wings. Despite the similar structure, Angelic wings were bird-like, Daemonic wings were more akin to those of lizards. And many earth lizards could regrow lost limbs. That didn’t mean that humans could. "Memnon, why are you telling us this? Angels are your enemies, just as they are ours."
Should that be Angels? Or am I just misunderstanding that third to last sentence?

All in all, thanks for the chapter. I look forward to the next one, whenever it's ready.
From the first Pantheocide thread:
Pelranius: Whatever happened Don't Ask Don't Tell, incidentally?
Simon_Jester: It died, went to Hell, and then got beaten to redeath by Aeanas the Spartan.
Scorpion
Youngling

Post by Scorpion »

Hell yeah! YAWEH BABY, IT'S PAY DAY AND THE HEA IS THE REPO MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

No, that bit about humans is part of the analogy. Lizards can regrow limbs, but humans can't. Similarly, the doctor is worried that demons can regrow limbs, but angels can't.

Anyway, Stuart, I wasn't aware of any lizards that had true wings, unless you're referring to pterosaurs, which aren't exactly lizards. Aren't demonic wings supposed to be batlike?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Yahweh forced hate on the world... now it's time to TAKE BACK THE LOVE!

I'm sorry, I seriously love the chapter but I've been meaning to make a Fist of the North Star reference regarding TSW. ^^;
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
bcoogler
Youngling

Post by bcoogler »

The earlier art work, plus a recently seen bumper sticker on the road inspired me to make up this bumper sticker.

EdBecerra
Padawan Learner

Post by EdBecerra »

Atlan wrote:Jezus isn't nearly the brain-dead patsy Micheal thinks he is. Pity that he might still not be smart enough to survive.
True. Although from the way he spoke, I kept expecting a brown and black Great Dane to be following Him around, begging for Scooby snacks...

Ed.
Edward A Becerra
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Very good overall, though I think you made Jesus sound a bit too stereotyped. Hippie Jesus isn't exactly new, after all. Something a bit crisper and more focused might have worked better, I think.
You might note, he's a lot less hippie and a lot sharper when he was talking to Enatenael-Lan-Elhmas than he was when talking to Raphael-Lan.
Ah. Good point. Clever.
JN1 wrote:Good work. I like the Order of the Day at the end, very inspiring.
We have to thank Marina for that. She wrote it in the original thread and I have been wanting to include it for posterity ever since.
Fair enough.

Thank you, Marina!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ruadhan2300
Youngling

Post by Ruadhan2300 »

here-here
"To the Rational mind, nothing is inexplicable, only unexplained"
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

The original version of the Duchess' reaction (as seen on the original thread pre-dating Armageddon????) actually had Humanity teaming up with Satan, IIRC.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

Nice one Stuart - a lot was concentrated in that chapter.

The depiction of Jesus actually reminds me of a work colleague. He looks like and generally acts like a '60's throwback but he is also a formidable chess player and wargamer, and hence well versed in military history. I can just see him acting like that when receiving or giving orders!

As for regeneration, we humans can do so, however it is restricted to our fingertips (the article I read did not refer to toes). I'd wager that amputation is worth a try for angels given their otherwise good recovery abilities though there is no direct metric to compare them with daemon recovery.

Stuart, how are second life humans in heaven in HEA occupied areas getting intel to the Eternal City? Are angels "reading" them? Are they allowed to come and go as they please through HEA lines?
GrayAnderson
Padawan Learner

Post by GrayAnderson »

Excellent chapter, as always. There's one typo I found ("General Pestraeus"(sic), but it's a great bit.

Given Jesus' mentality in the story as best I can tell, I would not be surprised if he sees his forces get smashed and seriously looks at a side-switch.
Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

If I remember my research correctly, we can regenerate much more than our fingertips - but the mechanism gets blocked by scarring, and so we don't. There's an evolutionary explanation for that; scarring takes less time, and warm-blooded animals cost so much energy to just keep alive that we can't afford the time proper healing would take.

Not all of the regeneratory programs have bit-rotted, though, so we can still do a little better if you take anti-scarring drugs. There are a couple that just made it to market for that exact reason; it greatly improves the result of corrective surgery and such.

Well, that's still not up to the level of regenerating a limb, or even a finger (though the latter may be possible with some intervention). But I'm willing to bet that, if you examine an angel, you'll find that they either don't scar or the scarring reaction is much slower than ours.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

GrayAnderson wrote:Excellent chapter, as always. There's one typo I found ("General Pestraeus"(sic), but it's a great bit.

Given Jesus' mentality in the story as best I can tell, I would not be surprised if he sees his forces get smashed and seriously looks at a side-switch.
I'd find it hilarious if Michael-lan doesn't see coming that somehow Elhmas (let's not call him Jesus) isn't killed straightaway. I would imagine that there's a backup plan if somehow the humans don't kill him in open battle, but will that necessitate Michael-lan's own involvement to get the job done, or does he have a way to make Elhmas' survival (defection or not) serve his end goal...

Baughn
Padawan Learner

Post by Baughn »

Ah, but is there a backup plan for if the humans capture Jesus? :P

His real name may be Elhmas, but Jesus is what we know him as. We sure don't know the poor carpenter.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Probably. It's called cyanide.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Saint_007
Youngling

Post by Saint_007 »

Wow, Jesus isn't the baked hippie Mikey thought he was. Still. He's basing his opinions on our society and technology - that he got with centuries-old intel. Like Mikey said, it hinges on whether the HEA will manage another "Clean Sweep". Personally, I want to see the nukes/daisy-cutters break out, but since Jesus is closing in on Petraeus' positions, it might not be a good idea to have massive craters and radiation on the road to Yahweh's throne.

The idea of Jesus' feint running into an army from Hell is just too awesome, though. Angels and Heaven's undead humans vs Daemons and Hell's Second Lifers... it's going to be a battle of Biblical proportions...

Aw crud, I did NOT intend that pun. honest.

Still, despite the Angels' powers, its' going to be Iron Age tactics vs WW2 tactics with 21st century firepower. I'd almost pity the poor saps if they weren't deliberately endangering the civilians working at the concentration camp.
Proud Member of the Myrmidons
MysteriousDarkLordv3
Youngling

Post by MysteriousDarkLordv3 »

I've been following and enjoying the War from the beginning. Now I decided to reply.

I'm thinking that Jesus is as much the "Most-High" Pot Bum as Michael is the Most Loyal Servant of Yahyah. I'm thinking that military feint might be for the same reason as the various "earnest attacks" Michael made against the Earth - a convenient way of weeding out the Yahyah loyalists. Which would mean that the bulk of Jesus' army might actually be used to pull off a coup-d-etat right under Michael's nose.

But then again, I also thought that the assassination attempt against Lemuel was made by his wife. So what do I know?

More story please. :angelic: (And more dakka :twisted: )
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Night_stalker wrote:Probably. It's called cyanide.
But that would ruin the POINT of this whole thing on Michael-lan's part! :lol:

Wait, you mean cyanide for Elhmas? Oh... I see what you did there. *narrowed eyes*
Last edited by Edward Yee on 2010-05-19 08:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

David has the 'tools' to win.

He isn't going to bring out his trump cards is he? I'd think he'd hold the nukes and chemical agents until the right moment where he can cause maximum damage to the greatest number of targets...

Of course, he might have just meant bringing the King of Battle into action.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Chris OFarrell wrote:David has the 'tools' to win.

He isn't going to bring out his trump cards is he? I'd think he'd hold the nukes and chemical agents until the right moment where he can cause maximum damage to the greatest number of targets...

Of course, he might have just meant bringing the King of Battle into action.
That would be the default -- though, nukes are no longer quite the hidden ace-in-the-hole thanks to two separate Earthside nuclear device initiations (Myanmar, then Tel Aviv). On the other hand, the intended rationale for using WMDs in Heaven is itself politically charged -- minimize "first life" human casualties who could end up joining New Rome and thus augmenting Caesar's power...

Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Edward Yee wrote:
Night_stalker wrote:Probably. It's called cyanide.
But that would ruin the POINT of this whole thing on Michael-lan's part! :lol:

Wait, you mean cyanide for Elhmas? Oh... I see what you did there. *narrowed eyes*
I was thinking he would use a L-pill and make himself into a martyr
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Bayonet
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Sixty Six Up

Post by Bayonet »

nobody_really wrote:Thank you for an enjoyable chapter, and the insight that Army medics would be so petty as to not let navy doctors know about best techniques.
The disconnect isn't at the medics level. They just seldom get to meet each other. When they do, they cooperate fine.

The disconnect is that the two bureaucracies (Three really - there's also the Air Farce.) behave like, well, bureaucracies. They don't properly intermesh, so important lessons learned can be dropped. Then, there's inter-service rivalry. The worst of that happens at a high level, also.
Last edited by Bayonet on 2010-05-19 02:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dennis
--
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war.
-Frederick the Great, 1777
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I did my own mock-up of a bit of Salvation War fan-art, in lieu of the ACTUAL fan act that I want to do (I need to seek permission of the owner before I take a photo, since it means stepping on to his lawn to take a picture of the mural). I took this photo recently. Super extra bonus points as to where I actually took it before I infernalized the image.

"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jusu
Youngling

Post by Jusu »

If it weren't for the landing gear being engaged, it'd had been a very good picture. It's good, and I like it clean and simple. As for where you took it...I'll say an air show.