The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Chamale
Redshirt

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Four Up

Post by Chamale »

impatrick4life wrote:have an AC blow up Yahweh, and maybe transmit video footage of it to the White House and have B.O. remark how "it looks just like Call of Duty."

Too bad it's awful dangerous to fly an AC around with the angels and whatnot, but, I wish it was possible.
I think it's impossible for more than one reason. Obama said last month, "With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."

I like how characters have generally been treated with realism in this story, and Obama making a Call of Duty reference is about as likely as Robert E. Lee understanding the tactical implications of stealth bombers.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

SCRawl wrote:It also just occurred to me: maybe the angels can "charge" their arrows in the same manner as they charge their melee weapons. I still can't see them penetrating (or even seriously threatening to penetrate) modern armoured vehicles, but they might be a little more effective than just normal materials.
They can, yes. However, any realistic level of armor piercing capability is pretty much out of court. The maximum energy that can be put into an arrow (even allowing for the added size of the angels and some weird materials science) just isn't anywhere close enough. Arrows are just too light and don't move fast enough. The best an arrow can do (before it starts to disintegrate due to structural issues) is 110 meters per second. An APDS round moves at 1,650 meters per second. In weight terms, an arrow weighs 0.026 kilograms, an APDS round 4.6 kilograms.

The idea is that somebody struck by a charged arrow would have that arrow discharge into the victim - rather like a taser on steroids.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You can make arrows heavier; crossbows scale up pretty far. But I do agree that you're not going to get significant anti-armor capability out of an arrow, not against tanks. Against Humvees, maybe, but not anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

Simon_Jester wrote:You can make arrows heavier; crossbows scale up pretty far. But I do agree that you're not going to get significant anti-armor capability out of an arrow, not against tanks. Against Humvees, maybe, but not anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army.
What Humvee we talking about here? The old bare frame ones with plastic tarp doors?
If you are going through Hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Michelangelo is a Party Dude!

But see, we invite him over for dinner and then he goes, "I stole your Nuclear Secrets." Then nobody feels like having apple pie. - Myself, on Joseph Stalin
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Simon_Jester wrote:You can make arrows heavier; crossbows scale up pretty far.
Not enough to overcome a 15-fold difference in speed and a 176-fold difference in mass. Even if we went to a much smaller round, say a 25mm APDS we have a ten-fold difference in mass and velocity. M2 protection can keep those out.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Gogyra
Redshirt

Post by Gogyra »

Not to mention, a projectile's energy varies with the square of the velocity, so the energy difference between the arrow and the smaller armor piercing round is one-thousand fold.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stuart wrote:
Not enough to overcome a 15-fold difference in speed and a 176-fold difference in mass. Even if we went to a much smaller round, say a 25mm APDS we have a ten-fold difference in mass and velocity. M2 protection can keep those out.
Yes, which is why I said: "Against Humvees, maybe, but not against anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army."

Now, I admit "anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army" is ambiguous. That said, I'd think it would reasonably be read as including the M2, assuming that by M2 you mean the Bradley.
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Yes, which is why I said: "Against Humvees, maybe, but not against anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army."

Now, I admit "anything that would really be classed as an AFV by a modern army" is ambiguous. That said, I'd think it would reasonably be read as including the M2, assuming that by M2 you mean the Bradley.
He means the M2HB, the Ma Deuce, aka .50 caliber machine gun.

But see, we invite him over for dinner and then he goes, "I stole your Nuclear Secrets." Then nobody feels like having apple pie. - Myself, on Joseph Stalin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If that is the case, then fair enough. Then again, I am unaware of any Humvee variant that is protected against .50 BMG. Do such variants exist?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

What Stuart meant is that the M2 Bradley is protected against 25mm APDS rounds which are over ten times as massive and 10 times as fast as an angelic arrow.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

It is a bit awkwardly said, but I guess it he could be referring to the M2 Bradley. But that seems unlikely, given how we were talking about dealing with Humvees and how the Bradley is now M3. (CFV is M3, IFV is M2)

But regardless, here's a fancy picture that shows protection levels!

JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Stu, would 1 CW Army have a use for an 18inch howitzer firing concrete penetrating shells, because I think I can find one? If it can be gotten to where it is needed it could be used to penetrate the walls of the Emerald City.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Chamale wrote:
impatrick4life wrote:have an AC blow up Yahweh, and maybe transmit video footage of it to the White House and have B.O. remark how "it looks just like Call of Duty."

Too bad it's awful dangerous to fly an AC around with the angels and whatnot, but, I wish it was possible.
I think it's impossible for more than one reason. Obama said last month, "With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."

I like how characters have generally been treated with realism in this story, and Obama making a Call of Duty reference is about as likely as Robert E. Lee understanding the tactical implications of stealth bombers.
You got my point, though, didn't you? It was just an impossible wish :|

And, actually, I think Robert wouldn't have too hard of a time understanding that one. What he seemed to have trouble with was basic tactics. It wouldn't be too hard to get the idea of a stealth bomber down; one could paint it in much the same light as a cavalry raid, albeit with a practically one-hundred-percent success rate. /rabbit trail
ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

JN1 wrote:Stu, would 1 CW Army have a use for an 18inch howitzer firing concrete penetrating shells, because I think I can find one? If it can be gotten to where it is needed it could be used to penetrate the walls of the Emerald City.
Hell, why not use the WWII-era German Schwerer Gustav and Schwerer Dora railway guns? 80cm bore, they might do a number on the walls.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

The logistics required for those are exorbitant, even today.
It's cheaper to just pump the wall full of APFSDS.
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

impatrick4life wrote:
JN1 wrote:Stu, would 1 CW Army have a use for an 18inch howitzer firing concrete penetrating shells, because I think I can find one? If it can be gotten to where it is needed it could be used to penetrate the walls of the Emerald City.
Hell, why not use the WWII-era German Schwerer Gustav and Schwerer Dora railway guns? 80cm bore, they might do a number on the walls.
It would help if those still existed, given that they were both destroyed before the war ended.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Chamale
Redshirt

Post by Chamale »

impatrick4life wrote:
Because bombers trump shells. The Schwerer Gustav fired 5-ton shells filled with 700 kg of high explosives. Compare this to World War II's B29, which could carry a 9-ton payload. Bombs dropped from airplanes could carry considerably more explosives than artillery shells of comparable weight, because they have thinner casings.
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

Chamale wrote:
impatrick4life wrote:
Because bombers trump shells. The Schwerer Gustav fired 5-ton shells filled with 700 kg of high explosives. Compare this to World War II's B29, which could carry a 9-ton payload. Bombs dropped from airplanes could carry considerably more explosives than artillery shells of comparable weight, because they have thinner casings.
Explosives don't do you any good if they just blow up on the surface compared to a smaller amount of explosives traveling much faster and it's casing is much heavier.

impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Scottish Ninja wrote:
impatrick4life wrote:
It would help if those still existed, given that they were both destroyed before the war ended.
I know, I know... which sucks, they would have come in handy.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

SilverHawk wrote:
Chamale wrote:
impatrick4life wrote:
Explosives don't do you any good if they just blow up on the surface compared to a smaller amount of explosives traveling much faster and it's casing is much heavier.
Yeah, about that... Grand Slam Bomb.

All of that stuff has been thought off, LONG ago. Bombers still trump artillery for that kind of stuff...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Atlan wrote:
SilverHawk wrote:
Yeah, about that... Grand Slam Bomb.

All of that stuff has been thought off, LONG ago. Bombers still trump artillery for that kind of stuff...
Attach a little wiring and a computer, mess with the fins a bit, attach a few servo motors, and add Paveway-series laser guidance heads, and you've got the perfect weapon then.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Chamale
Redshirt

Post by Chamale »

SilverHawk wrote:Explosives don't do you any good if they just blow up on the surface compared to a smaller amount of explosives traveling much faster and it's casing is much heavier.
Good point. My B29 point was just meant to illustrate the practicality of dropping bombs as opposed to firing shells. As others have pointed out, the logistics of sending out an airplane are much more manageable than dragging around a 1,000-ton cannon. Bombers deliver more explosives, but non-specialized bombs can't penetrate through as much material as artillery shells.

To bomb the walls from afar, I think a bunker buster or Grand Slam would be the best solution, but I'm no military expert. Are there specific weapons designed to break down extremely thick walls from a distance?
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

Chamale wrote:
SilverHawk wrote:Explosives don't do you any good if they just blow up on the surface compared to a smaller amount of explosives traveling much faster and it's casing is much heavier.
Good point. My B29 point was just meant to illustrate the practicality of dropping bombs as opposed to firing shells. As others have pointed out, the logistics of sending out an airplane are much more manageable than dragging around a 1,000-ton cannon. Bombers deliver more explosives, but non-specialized bombs can't penetrate through as much material as artillery shells.

To bomb the walls from afar, I think a bunker buster or Grand Slam would be the best solution, but I'm no military expert. Are there specific weapons designed to break down extremely thick walls from a distance?
Currently? No. But you might be able to jury-rig a Tomahawk with a penetrator warhead.
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

The ATACMS, Tochka or Chinese P611 very short range ballistic missiles should be pretty good for knocking down walls. Probably cheaper and faster than a Tomahawk too.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Nematocyst wrote:The logistics required for those are exorbitant, even today.
It's cheaper to just pump the wall full of APFSDS.
AFAIK fin rounds will just bore nice neat little holes in the wall and might not even penetrate all the way through. Penetrating weapons containing high explosive, like the Storm Shadow with its BROACH warhead, might be better.

The British Army does still have one 18inch howitzer on a proof mounting at Larkhill. During WW2 there were plans to move 13.5inch guns and the two 18inch guns to France and Italy to deal with German fortifications and concrete penetrating shells were designed, though logistics issues meant that the deployment never took place.
A recent article on the last surviving 18inch howitzer, which is the largest surviving railway gun, gave me the idea. However bomber delivered weapons and tac nukes do trump it.

Thinking about the Grand Slam I'm not sure what bombers could potentially deliver it. The BUFF and BONE might be able to, depends on the configuration of their bomb bays. The Victor can carry one, or two of the smaller Tallboys, though no Victors are in service as bombers, and the Vulcan can't carry either the Grand Slam, or Tallboy.
If there are still any B-36s being used they can certainly carry the Grand Slam or the T-12 Cloudmaker. Alternatively there is always the Massive Ordnance Penetrator.
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.