"Anatomy of a War" - Alt-Trekverse Fic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Hands up, as I wanted to see a cleaned version a while back
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I vote for it to be placed in Complete Fanfics section.

And if I remember correctly, in the other fic Steve had, the one also based in this story, that there is a war between the Allied Nations and the Federation. I would like to see it.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

*Raises hand*

Agent Fisher, are you talking about "The War That Wasn't" or something else?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I vote for placement.
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I too enjoy this story immensely and think it should be honored by a place in the Complete Fanfics section.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

*raises hand :D

Oh yeah, a fantastic read --- please, if possible, more on the Feds getting steamrollered sometime in the future :wink:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Stravo wrote:Show of hands for those who think the story should be added to the Cleaned up and Completed Fanfic Section.
Seconded, as well as the extras Steve wrote around the main story.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

Oh yeah, a fantastic read --- please, if possible, more on the Feds getting steamrollered sometime in the future

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

starfury wrote:
Oh yeah, a fantastic read --- please, if possible, more on the Feds getting steamrollered sometime in the future
"Alt-Drakafic" is not a project I consider seriously doing. Besides, as the final part of the Epilogue pointed out, I've already got a plan to crunch a slaver space power, since we'll be one day smacking down the bad guys from Susan Wright's "Slave Trade" trilogy.

Or, as Iceberg3k and I once put it, Smackdown of Liberty™ time! 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Steve wrote:
starfury wrote:
"Alt-Drakafic" is not a project I consider seriously doing. Besides, as the final part of the Epilogue pointed out, I've already got a plan to crunch a slaver space power, since we'll be one day smacking down the bad guys from Susan Wright's "Slave Trade" trilogy.

Or, as Iceberg3k and I once put it, Smackdown of Liberty™ time! 8)
Speaking of slavers, have you considered connecting this to niven's known-space? I'd like to see if there's anything in the alliance inventory that can scratch a General Products hull :twisted: . Plus seeing an infestation of slaver sun flowers fought with ADN tech might be neat. Did niven ever actually elaborate on the slavers enough to write a story about them though? In all the known-space books I've read (sadly not that many :cry: ) the only mentions of them were in the form of their technology and those kickass flowers. Anyway though, there are many points in that timeline that would be neat to look into.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I've never read Niven.
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

I'll raise my hand for this, along with all the backround, extras, and accompanying tidbits.

This story was awesome.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Gah, didn't check up on GP hulls properly - said hulls react quite nicely with antimatter, of which the ADN has ready access to.
Bill Door
Padawan Learner

Post by Bill Door »

I, too, vote that this should be added to the Completed fanfics section.
For example, suppose I wrote a book that within 30 years of the moon landing millions of people could be duped by bad science and endless hectoring into believing that it didn't happen... nah, can't do that, too unbelievable for a fantasy novel, right?--Terry Pratchett, The new Discworld Companion
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

phongn wrote:Gah, didn't check up on GP hulls properly - said hulls react quite nicely with antimatter, of which the ADN has ready access to.
Yes, but how long before they figure this out? It's not exactly a widely published fact :D.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

darthdavid wrote:Yes, but how long before they figure this out? It's not exactly a widely published fact :D.
No, but they have bright people working for them. Phasers might have some exotic effects as well.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Stravo wrote:Show of hands for those who think the story should be added to the Cleaned up and Completed Fanfic Section.
You should be asking for the hands of those who don't wish such a thing. Bring it on; Frank.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Stravo, if you do put this in the cleaned up forum, I'd like it if you left out the fluff posts - the timeline on page 1 and the various fluff posts on page 2. They've been reposted in another thread with the entire fluff work they're from (which is incomplete). :)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Steve wrote:Stravo, if you do put this in the cleaned up forum, I'd like it if you left out the fluff posts - the timeline on page 1 and the various fluff posts on page 2. They've been reposted in another thread with the entire fluff work they're from (which is incomplete). :)
I disagree. A certain amount of backstory is needed. Of course, the wishes of the author is paramount, yet timelines and such should be put in at some level for new readers in THIS forum.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Knife wrote:
Steve wrote:Stravo, if you do put this in the cleaned up forum, I'd like it if you left out the fluff posts - the timeline on page 1 and the various fluff posts on page 2. They've been reposted in another thread with the entire fluff work they're from (which is incomplete). :)
I disagree. A certain amount of backstory is needed. Of course, the wishes of the author is paramount, yet timelines and such should be put in at some level for new readers in THIS forum.
Well, maintain the timeline perhaps, but the other fluff is from TWTW and is already posted in the TWTW thread.

Oh, BTW, has the story been approved for the Cleaned Up forum yet? :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Darth Crubus
Redshirt

Post by Darth Crubus »

Stravo, if you do put this in the cleaned up forum, I'd like it if you left out the fluff posts - the timeline on page 1 and the various fluff posts on page 2. They've been reposted in another thread with the entire fluff work they're from (which is incomplete).
Where is the fluff thread?
Roger Murtaugh: Why have you got to make things so complicated?
Martin Riggs: I don't make things complicated, that's just the way things get all by themselves.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darth Crubus
Redshirt

Post by Darth Crubus »

Great.

The Alliance is my kind of government with my kind of people.

Are you working on the First and Second Federation Civil Wars, and on the parts with the Sandoval regime and the eventual fall of the Federation? That's the parts I'd really like to read.
Roger Murtaugh: Why have you got to make things so complicated?
Martin Riggs: I don't make things complicated, that's just the way things get all by themselves.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darth Crubus wrote:Great.

The Alliance is my kind of government with my kind of people.

Are you working on the First and Second Federation Civil Wars, and on the parts with the Sandoval regime and the eventual fall of the Federation? That's the parts I'd really like to read.
No stories planned for any of that so far. I have had thoughts for a duology covering the lead-up to and beginning of the Dominion War and a story about the Algrossa Crisis in 2158 - the one pre-Dominion War moment when the Alliance and Federation came literally minutes away from war.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Oops!

Post by Steve »

I just found out that I forgot to post a scene from near the end! This was meant to be just before the scene where Kellie Sanderson is offered a job at IUNS.

Washington D.C., Earth, Alliance of Democratic Nations
Universe Designate HE-1
7 January 2154 AST
14:05 GST

Off to the side from the podium in the press room, Mamatmas was in a customary suit and tie. Beside him, Melissa Steiner was dressed in regal gown with tiara, looking very radiant. "Thank you for giving me the chance to join you in this press conference, Mister President," she said.
"Minister Umachov deserves the praise for the idea. I'm just the one who thought it was a good idea." Mamatmas held on to the papers they were to speak from. "Any moment now..."
His press secretary announced them and Mamatmas led Melissa onto the raised stage, the two standing in front of the President's Seal behind the podium. Mamatmas came up first, setting the papers down while Melissa remained to his left. "Good morning, members of the press, fellow citizens, and those watching from across the known Multiverse. I am pleased to allow Archon Melissa Steiner of the Federated Commonwealth to take my place in announcing this development. Madame Archon?"
Melissa stepped up. Not even clearing her voice, she began to speak clearly, "Greetings. I am very pleased to announce that at 13:30 GST today, the Cardassian Union has signed a formal armistice with the Coalition of Powers." Taking only a moment of pause before continuing, she went on, "By the terms of the armistice, the Cardassian Union has recognized the right of the Bajoran people to their sovereignty and has renounced all claim to their homeland. Bajor is free."

That said, maybe I should go bug Stravo to get this fic cleaned up and put in the Completed forum. :P