Jedi Empire: Interregnum [7-18-08]

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Pelranius wrote:I wonder what will happen to the Noghri?

Vader's probably still pulling that bait and switch scheme on Honoghr, though Thrawn's in charge now. If Fey'lya, Tremayne or Bel Iblis goes to the dynasts and rats out Vader and Thrawn, we could see the Death Commandos going after Leia.
They'd have to know about them first. Also, Khabarakh only stopped fulfilling his job because Leia is 'Lady Vader' - those you named wouldn't have this protection and would die before being able to speak to the clan chiefs.

If Vader is wise, he switches the droids on Honoghr for a new, improved model that really fights the grass or offers the Noghri to another planet for their loyal service ;-).

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Would bel Iblis even be a factor? IIRC, by Endor bel Iblis had already had his falling out with Mon Mothma, and is no longer a member of the Alliance.

Regardless, bel Iblis was unwilling to commit to open rebellion until the Emperor's assassination attempt, and with Palpatine dead he may very well be open to some sort of agreement with the Skywalker faction.

As for the Noghri, while they're in Thrawn's service, ultimately they are still loyal to Vader. If he plays it right, he could further secure their loyalty to them by revealing the decon scam and laying blame on Palpatine.

Speaking of Thrawn, any chance of seeing his take on recent events? While he's certainly out in the boonies, I don't doubt that he has some means of keeping up with galactic affairs. At the very least, Vader is aware of his mission, and should be able to contact him.

I find it slightly amusing that everyone still refers to Vader as Vader, redemption be damned.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Remember that, while drastic, "recent developments" are extremely recent. We're still puttering around at about a day after the Emperor's death. This is my fault, but I plead that there's a lot of necessary ground work to get out of the way before I can feel comfortable skipping ahead by weeks or months (which I will be doing shortly). So much of these pressing issues will be addressed once the parties in question have had time to react to them.

I should mention though that the plights of individual planets like Bakura and Honoghr probably won't be dealt with directly (or at least in person by main characters). With their new Empire rapidly falling apart, the Skywalkers and co. will be a little preoccupied for some of the stuff they dealt with personally in the canon timeline. That's not to say that they'll be ignored, but when you're responsible for a whole galaxy, you have got to start delegating some of that crap.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Let's face it. Bakura was, by Imperial standards, a non-event. Darth Raptor seems to be using a much more reasonable fleet size than we normally see in the EU, and a handful of Star Destroyers sent to Bakura would probably have dealt with the Ssi-Ruuk "invasion" quite easily. And be back to the rest of the fleet in time for dinner.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

If Bakura is handled even a week later than it was in the novels, the Ssi-ruu are going to have already conquered and Enteched several imperial worlds.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:If Bakura is handled even a week later than it was in the novels, the Ssi-ruu are going to have already conquered and Enteched several imperial worlds.
That would be sad. I liked some of the Bakurans. But it's hardly a problem on a galactic scale. Fifty star destroyers and it's dealt with.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I await more chapters, as the story continues to be fantastic.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:If Bakura is handled even a week later than it was in the novels, the Ssi-ruu are going to have already conquered and Enteched several imperial worlds.
Perhaps though the distress signal is recieved, and the Alliance/Vader faction decides to use is as an attempt to gain some positive publicity. Knowing Vader, he'd probably send a Star Destroyer that would be much more powerful than the scant fleet utilized in the OTL
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Vader could just order Thrawn to handle the Ssi Ruuv (the Chiss took care of them in the OTL, and the Empire of the Hand should easily smash them into a pulp).

I'd still like to know how Nereus knew about Endor, though.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Pelranius wrote:Vader could just order Thrawn to handle the Ssi Ruuv (the Chiss took care of them in the OTL, and the Empire of the Hand should easily smash them into a pulp).

I'd still like to know how Nereus knew about Endor, though.
Nereus struck me as a very 'well connected' Governor who had somehow gotten on the outs with certain people. I don't doubt he had friends who he used to keep himself in the loop.
ImageImage
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

There's no reason for that to happen. The message drone is still on target and presumably Vader knows how to open it (especially considering the Rebels managed to hack it). Bakura will be saved, just not by FAMOUS HEROES. :wink:
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

That was a quality read, I will be enjoying any updates made to this.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'd love to see the look on the Ssi-ruvi when say, something like Executor arrives in system, or even all of Death Squadron.

That's just the sort of political capital the Skywalkers need. "There was an immediate threat to an Imperial world (even one as small and insignificant as Bakura), and we dealt with it, quickly and effectively."

Plus, depending on how things go, they pick up a potiental Jedi Knight.

I'd like to know, and see, how the following people react to all this;

Lady Lumiya; Her loyalty was for Vader, and she feels so burned (literally) by Luke. I can imagine she's be torn.

Mara Jade; I'm assuming the Emperor didn't have time to send her his 'Last Command' to her, but that her Force abilities have gone wonky. However, since she's aware of the nature of the Sith (well, sort of), and there's alot of evidence she wanted to take Vader's place. Will she support Vader as the heir of the Sith, even if he's turned his back on it (he didn't turn his back on the Empire). And what will be her reaction to Luke?

Jer'ec: Vader probably knows all about him, including his quest to find the Valley of the Jedi.

The Nagaki, Toff, C.S.A, Hapes, The Vong; All political entities with an interest in a destablized Empire (not so much the C.S.A). Now, it might have become stronger then ever.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Solauren wrote:I'd love to see the look on the Ssi-ruvi when say, something like Executor arrives in system, or even all of Death Squadron.
You don't even need something like that. A single destroyer (or even a joint Rebel-Imperial taskforce, to keep some of the themes of TaB) would crush the invasion.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

phongn wrote:
Solauren wrote:I'd love to see the look on the Ssi-ruvi when say, something like Executor arrives in system, or even all of Death Squadron.
You don't even need something like that. A single destroyer (or even a joint Rebel-Imperial taskforce, to keep some of the themes of TaB) would crush the invasion.
I know that. I'm just thinking from a PR stand-point again.

Executor just became 'Defender'.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, an intercession at Bakura does have the ability to become a PR coup for either Vader's faction or Iceheart's faction.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Sorry for the shortish update, but this is the last bit of relevant groundwork to get out of the way before the first significant time skip. Besides, I figure something is better than nothing.

Admiral Ackbar stood to attention as Mon Mothma appeared on the bridge of the Home One, one of the few surviving capital ships of the Alliance Fleet. Truth be told, it was merely a bridge, and not the bridge. The warship's proper bridge had been destroyed in the fighting, and the command crew had relocated to one of the auxiliary control centers deep within the ship. Fortunately, Ackbar had shown the foresight to abandon the tower before its shields were lost completely, and the military's most senior officers were spared the fate of that relatively flimsy protrusion.

"Admiral Ackbar," Mothma offered a warm but weary smile. "Please, as you were. It's good to see you well."

Despite her proclamations of happiness, even Ackbar, who had trouble reading human body language and facial features could tell she was tired; thanks in part to his own imminent collapse. "Likewise, Your Excellency. Have the Imperials kept you informed, or do I need to bring you up to speed?"

"That won't be necessary, my friend. They were quite accommodating. You could have easily led the defense from the command center they set up for us."

It had been Ackbar's decision to remain aboard the Home One during the signing ceremony. Partly as a measure of prudence, but mostly because he wasn't interested in attending. Not that it mattered, of course. As expected, despite his position as second only to the Supreme Commander herself, in the joint task force at Endor his rank was eclipsed by that of Osvald Teshik. The Alliance Fleet didn't have such lofty admirals; it wasn't large enough to warrant them. And had that not been the case before, it certainly was the case now. Still, as did most beings in his position, Ackbar maintained something of a stubborn streak. He was willing to pass along the Grand Admiral's orders (so long as he agreed with them), but chafed at the prospect of being left out of the chain completely, a fate he would have courted had he been on the Death Star during the attack.

"Anyhow, I am about to retire for the evening, presuming my cabin was not among the day's casualties. I suggest you do the same, Admiral. But before you do, why don't you take a look at this?" She held out a datapad for him.

"What is it?" asked Ackbar, even as he took the pad to see for himself.

"A gift from our new allies, a token of the Princess Leia's appreciation."

Ackbar's jaw gaped, his left eye dilating as it scanned the tiny display "Four hundred eighteen Imperator II-class Star Destroyers? This is a joke, yes? Madam President, I'm not in the mood."

"Oh, it's no joke. Those are the enemy ships captured today. Well, most of them, anyway. She had offered us half again that number, but frankly we haven't the personnel to support that many. Even those will be operating with skeleton crews for the foreseeable future. But as you can see, this more than recoups our material losses for the day."

"This recoups our material losses for the entire war," he rasped. "Most of these ships are brand new, commissioned just a few months ago. Are you telling me they didn't want them?"

"That appears to be the case. In fact, Grand Admiral Teshik implied that we'd be doing him a favor. You see, those vessels are--were-- the property of the Commission for the Preservation of the New Order. They don't actually belong to the Imperial Navy. I was led to believe that the proper acquisition procedure is some kind of bureaucratic nightmare he'd sooner just avoid."

"Four hundred Imperator IIs," Ackbar reminded her, his voice saturated with skepticism. "He's willing to pass up four hundred Imperator IIs in order to spare himself the paperwork."

"Probably not in actuality, but I've sat on enough committees to say it's plausible enough. 'Small change for the Imperial Navy.' Those were Admiral Teshik's words verbatim."

"In that case," replied Ackbar, the Calamari approximation of a smile forming at the corners of his mouth, "the Alliance of Free Planets is happy to assist."

"Indeed, and that's precisely what I told him. This is a most auspicious development. Now we won't depend on the Empire to secure our territory as previously feared; though we will still need their aid should one of the splinter groups come calling."

"Is there a particular danger of that?"

"They don't seem to think so, but the princess assured me of their continuing commitment to our security. While the Imperial government on Coruscant has explicitly rejected the Treaty of Endor, I daresay they'll be a mite preoccupied to go attacking a dozen sectors on the Outer Rim. Nevertheless, she has promised to aid us in that event."

"So, they're really going to war over this succession nonsense," Ackbar shook his head, baffled.

"It appears so. What, you're surprised? This was our plan all along. With Palpatine dead his regime is tearing itself apart; and, while we didn't intend on backing one of the claimants regent, the end result is the same. The Empire will either destroy itself or transform into something more agreeable. While I do worry for the princess and hers, either end will ultimately suffice."

"On that note," said Ackbar, stroking his barbels thoughtfully. "If they withdraw Coreward that could present some interesting opportunities."

Mothma's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Are you suggesting an incursion into Imperial territory?"

Ackbar raised a correcting finger, "Only if they leave it open for us." He rose to his feet again and approached the holoprojector, calling up a tri-dimensional image of the primary galaxy, the major regions of its planar disk delineated and color-coded.

"I had an opportunity to discuss this with General Madine, believe it or not. We both agreed that, should the Empire suffer a civil war, both sides--assuming there are only two--will pull the bulk of their naval assets Coreward. Depending on the extent of the fighting, they may withdraw as far as the Inner Rim. Compared to securing the Core, Colonies and Expansion Regions, the Rim is of marginal importance, to say nothing of the Satellites and the extraplanar frontier. There's a good chance that the governors of those regions will secede from the Empire proper, as per our original projections of a post-Palpatine galaxy."

"The Death Star was never a factor in those projections," Mothma pointed out.

The Mon Calamari gave a slow, singular nod. "That's true, but they may believe themselves too small to warrant the attention of either side as they vie for the very Core, Death Star or not."

"That strikes me as a dangerous assumption on their part," Mothma contended. "While I don't doubt many of the regional governors would like to become lowercase emperors, as soon as the war is over the victors will move to bring them back under their influence; violently, in all probability."

"You're assuming the Vader faction will lose, even with their Death Star?"

"Not at all, and the overwhelming supremacy they'll enjoy once that weapon is complete makes secession all the more dangerous. Wilhuff Tarkin was monster, not a fool; wrong in action, not in fact."

Ackbar seemed to consider this idea for an instant before shaking his head, visibly discarding it. "It won't work."

"What won't work?"

"The Death Star. The weapon won't work in that capacity because they won't use it. Don't misunderstand, it's too her credit that she wouldn't destroy a planet. No self-respecting daughter of Alderaan would. But all it takes is one warlord to call her bluff and it's over. One opponent to question her resolve and that battle station becomes a sandstone krakana. Or, more accurately, a really big and expensive siege weapon. A Torpedo Sphere writ large. The linchpin of the Tarkin Doctrine was that the threat of force was always genuine. If Leia Organa threatens to blow up your planet, would you take her seriously? Would anyone?"

"That's... a fair point," she conceded. "One I hadn't considered until now. So, you're telling me that the remnants on the Rim will go rogue, believing neither side will bother with them? One unable, the other unwilling?" She shook her head. "I still don't see how that follows. Surely the Empire will go after them--even with conventional forces--once the succession issue is settled. They still don't have a hope of resisting a forced reincorporation."

Ackbar raised his right index a second time. "That, Madam President, is where we come in."

"I don't understand."

"It's fair to assume that the Vader faction will prevail, correct? That Mistress Organa will become Galactic Empress?"

Mothma huffed. "It's difficult to imagine otherwise."

"And unpleasant," Ackbar agreed. "I must admit, I'm making some large assumptions about her ideals and loyalties, so I ask you: Would she move to reincorporate those territories if they've already been liberated?"

"Liberated... by us, you mean?" Mothma brought a hand to her mouth, and even Ackbar could see that her mind was racing to evaluate his line of reasoning. Finally, she shook her head. "We're too weak. We have just enough assets to hold the capital until reinforcements arrive. With our paltry fleet, we wouldn't stand a chance against the weakest Imperial sector, let alone a coalition of them."

"At the moment no, of course not, but we don't know how long this war will last. We're a sovereign state now; officially recognized by the Empire; half of it, anyway. For the first time, we no longer have to hide, we don't need to build in secret. We can freely and fully mobilize now, and all in the open. The shipyards at Dac can run at full capacity, building proper warships."

"Still," Mothma insisted. "We're talking about years before reaching a level of readiness on par with an Imperial sector, and I'm certain the interregnum will be over by then, one way or another."

"Heh," Ackbar chuckled. "We've gone from a guerrilla insurgency to a legitimate state in less than a day." He tapped the side of his enormous head. "Pretensions aside, asymmetrical war is still our specialty. I trust the greater network is still intact?"

"Of course."

"Your Excellency, I don't think we should be so quick to abandon our true objective. You know very well it was never just about deposing Palpatine. Until today, we were the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Some have taken issue with your... liberal interpretation of the Declaration in order to justify this armistice."

"And you?"

Ackbar nodded his head gravely.

"I see. Well, I can't say I don't sympathize, but do try to understand; should Leia Organa become Galactic Empress, we will have a unique and unexpected opportunity to reform the Empire from within. If our objectives can be achieved without war, it is our duty as enlightened beings to take that route."

"I understand," said Ackbar. "And I agree, but all this is based on the assumption that the princess intends to restore the Republic." He made direct eye contact. "Is that the case?"

Mon Mothma was silent.

Ackbar sighed, "There are those of us--yes, myself included--who find even a benevolent monarchy odious. A paternalistic dictator is still a dictator. I have nothing but respect for Princess Leia, but she's still a princess. A monarchy, however limited, runs counter to the basic principles of the Republic. Leaders must be elected by the people, or appointed by those who are. Anything less is a form of slavery, even if slaves can, on occasion, be fond of their masters and if masters can be kind to their slaves. Monarchies were always free to join the Republic, but the Republic itself must never become one."

"Consider who we're dealing with," he continued. "Grand Admirals. Grand Moffs. Sith Lords. We've had some unsavory allies in the past, but this is a new low. How long have we dreamed of putting the likes of Darth Vader and Osvald Teshik on trial for their crimes? Our new 'friends' are mass-murderers, xenocidal racists, war criminals, and yet, in one stroke of a stylus they've been granted immunity. Not only that, but they've been allowed to keep their positions and will, in all probability, become more powerful than ever before!"

He grew quiet, and even more somber than before, "When I attained my freedom, I joined your cause to help others find theirs. Tell me Mon, and tell me honestly, would the subjects of this kinder, gentler Empire truly be free? Is it not possible, even likely, for the young Mistress Organa to grow fond of her station?"

Mothma reflected on the dual meaning of the word 'station' in this context before asking, "What would you suggest?"

"Only that we keep our options open. There's no question we should favor this 'Reconciliation' over the likes of COMPNOR; but if we play this right, we may be able to have our New Republic after all."
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Ackbar strikes me as the passionate, idealistic type who is very hard to corrupt, if not impossible. However, he also feels like the type that might reach too far too fast, or undermine real, if less than ideal, progress. I have a feeling he is going to leave a big mark on history, and it will be all or nothing.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I'm not so sure; I thought Ackbar as a highly pragmatic leader who may well be able to accept Empire. It's Mon Mothma that's the radical.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

If that's how he acts in the EU, then I will take your word for it. My knowledge of SW beyond this fanfic is the movies and the website, so my impression of Ackbar right now is little more than his "All monarchy's must DIE!" speech and "It's a trap!".
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Lines that may well have been cribbed from one of Mon Mothma's own speeches. Think about that for a moment.

What we're witnessing is the beginning of a dichotomy in Rebel thinking, a schism between those content to build their own Republic on the Rim and those who maintain galactic aspirations. Ackbar is actually in the former category and Mon Mothma is in the latter, despite whatever impressions I gave above. Consider their respective backgrounds: Mon Calamari is now free and independent, the capital world of a sovereign (if tiny) state. Mothma, OTOH, was once the Imperial Senator from Chandrila, one of the most powerful and influential people in the entire galaxy. Right now, she's actively and enthusiastically pursuing the path of least resistance toward her ultimate goals (a hand up Leia's ass, to put it bluntly). Ackbar is oh-so-subtly reminding her that there are other paths and that their position, while better than it's ever been, still isn't favorable from a strategic standpoint.

As mentioned, the Alliance of Free Planets consists of a dozen sparsely-populated sectors in the galactic boonies. As far as territorial concessions go, it doesn't get much more token than that. For Mothma, this is unacceptable politically, as it's the middle of nowhere (which is why she's more concerned with Imperial affairs). For Ackbar, it's unacceptable strategically. The Empire could roll over them without breaking a sweat (which is why he's desperate to strengthen their position relative to the Empire).

None of the above are actually spoilers. I really should have made it more clear. Oh well, something for the second draft.
Robo Jesus
Padawan Learner

Post by Robo Jesus »

'The Second Coming' by William Butler Yeats feels so appropriate after reading that last section. Seeds sown long before are now acknowledged. I wonder how long before they sprout.
This is sickening... You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet! Prepare yourselves!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Keep in mind, Ackbar studied Imperial policy and government at the direct teachings of Tarkin himself. He knows better than most the Imperial mindset, and it can't have NOT colored his tactical judgement to some extent.
ImageImage
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I suspect that this little plan to install a New Republic will end badly, particularly once Ackbar gets into a tug of war with Fey'lya (they certainly need him and the Bothan Spynet, if they want to be taken seriously).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Of corse the plan will end badly. The Alliance never had a real chance of defeating the Empire, and an Empire that has shed many of it's less desirable qualities will simply be that much harder to turn the populace against.

On that note, I foresee Vader blaming most of the Imperial atrocities on COMPNOR, or vice versa.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon