Temporary Duty pt1 (Original)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Temporary Duty pt1 (Original)

Post by Pulp Hero »

This is a story that is kind of hard to classify at the moment. Sort of a grim fantasy world built on a weird military mythology and tech level

PT 1
Hillburg is a dusty town that sits atop the Redstone plains of the dustbowl. Its claim to fame- the only reason that it exists - is that it is the farthest duskward settlement with a water pump. To travelers venturing into the dustbowl it is the last chance to top off.

Few that weren't born there come to it, and none stay long. The place is does in a word- suckmuchly.

So then the street magician performing for the amusement of grubby children and tired workers is an oddity. And not just in the sense that he can pull coins out of just about any human crevice.

The magician, who goes by the name of Walsh Axler, was not born in Hillburg or parts near. His name isn't Walsh Axler either.

Also, he is not a magician.

"And now loyal fans, for the final trick. Are you ready?", said Axler with practiced flurish. The gathered crowd whooped.

"I am sure you have all seen rabbits pulled from a top hat,", he tipped off his hat and pulled out a bored white rabbit.

"but,"

He tossed the rabbit back in.

"have any of you seen a hat pulled out of rabbit?"

Dumping the hat out and catching the still bored ball of fur, Axler returned the first hat to his head and reached into the rabbit's floppy ear and with several twists and pulls managed to pull free an impressively tall stovepipe hat.

The crowd cheered and Axler took a bow. He slipped the rabbit in a free pocket and absently snapped his fingers to set the hat alflame. As he straightened up his survival senses noted someone wearing a full face wrap and goggles in the back of the crowd watching with the same body language a snake uses to watch a hamster.

"I'm here all week folks! So have a good night and tell your friends. And drink safely- accidents cause people!"

General clapping and stand crowd-zombie dispersion. The snake was gone.

Axler ambled through the allys of Hillburg. It had been a good haul today. Some pilgrims on a journey to the duskward coast had been in town and nearly the whole damn group had watched the show. Axler liked religious folk, they were good tippers.

Some one was following him. Mimicking their steps with his and staying invisible. That was unsettling. He was sure that it wasn't muggers- they had enough sense to stick to traveler's not locals. And he knew damn near all the muggers in this town, none of them were this stealthy. They all used big caliber pistols. Kind of like the one hidden inside the sleeve of Axler's suit.

No reason to change course. It might be some ambitious traveler who though the world owned him a favor. It might be something else all together worse. Either way he would be better positioned back at his flat.

He made sure not hurry and made it into his building and up the stairs to his flat without incident. But the invisible stalker felt like he was around the corner the whole time. Axler unlocked the door and scanned the room ,the entrance seemed okay. He took a step inside to check the kitchen.

"Shit."

In fairly average dustbowl traveler attire sat Core, a black skinned, six foot tall assassin and lunatic. He was eating Axler's last peanutbutter bar.

"What the hell? You not only break in, but you eat my peanutbutter bar! That was special."

"Thought it tasted funny.", Said Core putting a quarter bar down.

"What they hell do you want?"

"I need your help. You know I wouldn't bother you but this is a big deal that I got to talk about. I got a contract straight the Jump-Master."

"Fine, whatever. So why in the hell did you follow me through town for it?"

"I didn't follow you. I been sittin' here getting my snack on."

That was when rocket came through the window.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.