Help with a name

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Help with a name

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it probably is... anyway, I've started writing again, for the first time in many a month, and I need help with a name. Normally, I have no problems just randomly coming up with names, but a name for one particular character seems to be eluding me.

The character in question is a girl who is capable of "speaking" destruction. She opens her mouth, and something that is both a sound, and yet not a sound, comes forth, and destroys things, completely and utterly. She's largely not in control of this power, and is adopted by a somewhat deranged woman, who seeks to use this potent ability to her own ends. Also, in case you hadn't guessed by now, this is a fantasy story.

The thing is, I'm not sure what the deranged woman would name her. The name needs to have some symbolism, but not so much that it's glaringly obvious and just punches you right in the face with its unoriginality...

Ignore the fact that the plot is vague and even a little cliched. I'm still plotting things out in my head, working out the grand scheme of things. But before any of that is done, I need to name this character! :? So, any tips, ideas, or suggestions for names that you think might be appropriate for a cherubic little herald of destruction would be greatly appreciated.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Call her "Peep", as in "don't make a peep".
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

If you wanted to go with a juxtiposition you could name her Melody or something like that.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

I ended up going with Vermeil as her name... although, Peep would make for a good nickname for her, I think. Thanks for that, Mr. Coffee. :D
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

No charge.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Mr. Coffee

Don't you mean, First one's free?
XXXI
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Melody would be nice if it was revealed that in the end, if she sings with her voice, her destructive voice is turned into a healing/goody-whatevery one.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Melody would be nice if it was revealed that in the end, if she sings with her voice, her destructive voice is turned into a healing/goody-whatevery one.
Except that won't happen. :lol: She's the Herald of the End, sent to bring death and destruction. While she may overcome this fate (I haven't decided, yet. Although she probably will, as destroying everything in existence isn't a very happy ending), her ability is strictly destructive. It starts off being able to shatter a chair (or person) into pieces, but eventually becomes powerful enough to deatomize things. :D
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Qingcheng (Mandarin for "Collapse a City"), from The Promise, might be a good choice.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)