Character problem

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

So what should I do?

Andromeda sucks, and it's not like they invented the idea anyway. Keep her.
100%
Andromeda sucks, but they did beat you to it, dude. Send her to the scrap heap and try again.
No votes
Andromeda does not suck! I like to sniff my underpants.
No votes

Total votes: 4

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Character problem

Post by RedImperator »

So I'm about to start on my original sci-fi story. I've spent months working on the details, sketching ships and weapons, plotting out a basic story, designing the characters, etc. For shits and giggles, I've decided to write it in a TV script format. One of my characters, who I thought would turn out to be pretty interesting and offer a lot of story possibilities, was the avatar of the ship's AI, in the form of a pretty, anatomically correct android who was curious about the human experience (more because it looks like fun than because she's interested on an intellectual level, the way Data was).

Then, two days ago, I find out that shitstain show Andromeda beat me to the fucking idea. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. So, what should I do? Should I scrap the character, or just go on with it because in five years, nobody's going to remember Andromeda anyway?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

If two people can simultaneously invent the telephone, this certainly falls under coincidence. There's a Crossgen comic series called Sigil with a twist on this idea (except that the avatar possesses the memories and physical appearance of a dead shipmate.

All I would do is try not to cover the same ground.
Chuck

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Sonnenburg wrote:If two people can simultaneously invent the telephone, this certainly falls under coincidence. There's a Crossgen comic series called Sigil with a twist on this idea (except that the avatar possesses the memories and physical appearance of a dead shipmate.

All I would do is try not to cover the same ground.
Since I've never had the pleasure :roll: of watching more than a few minutes of Andromeda, I'd have no idea if I were covering the same ground or not. I guess since I'm trying to avoid copying a Kevin Sorbo series, I could just use the old "stupid/not stupid" test and feel pretty confident.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Pfft. Anne McCaffrey already breached the idea in The Ship Who Searched. Andromeda's not the first with the idea.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I know Andromeda isn't the first with the idea, but since I'm writing it as a TV series instead of a straight-up novel, what Andromeda does seems to be more relevant to me. Why am I writing it as a TV series? Who the hell knows.
X-Ray Blues
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Character problem

Post by Stormbringer »

RedImperator wrote:Then, two days ago, I find out that shitstain show Andromeda beat me to the fucking idea. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. So, what should I do? Should I scrap the character, or just go on with it because in five years, nobody's going to remember Andromeda anyway?
Fuck Andromeda. It'll be gone and forgetten in not too long.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

If you actually came up with it independently, then you should continue to write the story. You probably have a different take on the situation, and it will probably come out in a much different way than it did in the other show. I know that right now I'm working on a SW book, and I'm really tortured because every time an NJO book comes out it has an idea that I was ALREADY using (and had it written down), and then they butcher its potential. Even some of the things that Destiny's Way did right could have been taken straight from my book, and while Denning did much better with some of the things in his work than I'm doing, he still didn't capitalize on every opportunity that I took full advantage of.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."