Would love some help on writing a fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Would love some help on writing a fanfic

Post by DarthBlight »

I'm working on a fanfiction of my own and I want to break some new ground doing it. I have a whole world to work with, major characters and everything, but I'm trying to figure out how to set everything up. I want the story to move smoothly, but a lot of what I'm doing requires some explanation and I don't want to bore the audience with details. Any ideas on how I can strike a balance?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

What is this story? Sci-fi? Fantasy?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Would love some help on writing a fanfic

Post by Kuja »

DarthBlight wrote:I'm working on a fanfiction of my own and I want to break some new ground doing it. I have a whole world to work with, major characters and everything, but I'm trying to figure out how to set everything up. I want the story to move smoothly, but a lot of what I'm doing requires some explanation and I don't want to bore the audience with details. Any ideas on how I can strike a balance?
Practice makes perfect.

Seriously, the best way to learn writing is to start writing. Let others critique your work, then apply what you've learned.
JADAFETWA
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

The story is about, of course, Star Wars. This is a character I made up in the d20 RPG system and, gosh darn it, I had to make a huge story about him, his world, and his life. :D If no one objects to novella-sized posts, I don't mind putting some bits up.
Rhoades
Youngling

Post by Rhoades »

Without knowing anything specific you're going to do, I can't help. However, the best course is to figure out what exactly you need to describe and what does not. Then go for it.

For reading material:
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/www/index.html

This is a good list of articles that has lots of good advice I can't stress enough of.