Salvation war slang poll

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Pick up to three potential new slang terms which you like best

Tooers (all inhabitants of universe 2)
8%
Yoot (all inhabitants of universe 2)
5%
Wingnuts (angels & demons)
11%
Flappers (angels & demons)
17%
Angies (angels)
4%
Jellies/Gellies (angels)
17%
Birds/Birdies (angels)
13%
Percys/Percies (angels)
11%
Tweeties (angels)
8%
Ducks (angels)
6%

Total votes: 140

Deebles
Youngling

Salvation war slang poll

Post by Deebles »

Based on a silly discussion on the salvation war thread, let's see which of the slang terms we've been bandying about are actually the most popular. I've tried to limit it to those that at least 2 people have spoken of approvingly - ie those that have been informally both nominated and seconded - which coincidentally gives us exactly 10 entries (perfect for the poll software). Let's see which we actually like best of these...

Also, if there are any you particularly dislike, feel I've misrepresented or left out unfairly, comment away.
Hofner1962
Redshirt

Re: Salvation war slang poll

Post by Hofner1962 »

I would still vote for pidge

short for dirty pidgeon
Michael Garrity
Youngling

Post by Michael Garrity »

I rather favor 'Jellies', as that is what's left of one of them after close proximity to a high-order explosion......'Jelly'.... :lol:

Mike Garrity
remus2
Redshirt

Post by remus2 »

For more , ahh , down to earth insults, well, wing +fap… “wing f(l)appers” perhaps? “Just go f(l)app your wings “ It also has a nice ring to it, while convening to piss off while continuously wanking their/with their wings…
“The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant”

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here. Now we're finishing this deal"

"And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling. So why don't we just ignore each other till we go away?"
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I voted for "Flappers".
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Tornado Ninja Fan
Redshirt

Post by Tornado Ninja Fan »

How about "Mikes" for the members of the new government of heaven?
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Negative, wouldn't want a risk of that being mistaken with "mike" as in "millimeter," which in the wrong (read: military terminology) context could be a bad thing...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Jeremy
Jedi Master

Post by Jeremy »

Where did the term Baldrick come from?
• Only the dead have seen the end of war.
• "The only really bright side to come out of all this has to be Dino-rides in Hell." ~ Ilya Muromets
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Jeremy wrote:Where did the term Baldrick come from?
Gordon Brown had a speechwriter who was a Blackadder Fan. So, in writing his speech for Brown to deliver after the Message was received, he included the phrases "Sod Off Baldrick" (addressed to Satan) and "I have a cunning plan to deal with the situation". Both of which provided the ideal level of humor needed to pull people out of the depression caused by The Message and its aftermath (Blackadder being probably the only comedy series that pretty much everybody knows and loves). From there, the name "Baldricks" (implying a very dumb and primitive enemy) was applied to daemons in general. It is used throughout Armageddon but dies out in Patheocide, partly as a result of people realizing just how horrifically one-sided the battle against the daemons was. By the end of Pantheocide (we're nearly there) Baldrick has become equivalent to the "n-word" and its use is not considered to be acceptable in polite company.

The thing that makes me really laugh is that some of the God Squad have been claiming that "Gordon Brown wouldn't say that" apparently in the strange belief that he writes his own speeches. I know of no politician who does that; every politico uses professional speechwriters and very often how they speak in public is very different to their public persona. What the politico says is what his speechwriters think he should say to a specific audience at a specific time. They're the experts and wise politicos defer to them. By the way, some politicians claim that they do write their own speeches. Those claims are written by their professional speech-writers.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Deebles
Youngling

Post by Deebles »

Another idea which I've had all too late would be "bugs" or "insects", based on both Angels and Demons being hexapods, as was pointed out in the debate on the main thread... even though, aside from that, they seem pretty mammalian (although they presumably wouldn't breastfeed their young, given the general irrelevance of food in universe 2).
nobody_really
Youngling

Post by nobody_really »

I like flapper for the simplicity and obviousness. Wingnut is good, but to me it takes a little more thought to "get." Jellies is also a bit cerebral, as it can mean something that's easilly defeated with the right tools, but can really do some damage if you're too stupid to approach them the wrong way. Maybe I've watched Finding Nemo too many times to avoid hearing "takin' on the jellies; you've got some serious thrill issues, dude," when reading "Jelly" as a nickname for Angels.
Deebles
Youngling

Post by Deebles »

nobody_really wrote:I like flapper for the simplicity and obviousness. Wingnut is good, but to me it takes a little more thought to "get." Jellies is also a bit cerebral, as it can mean something that's easilly defeated with the right tools, but can really do some damage if you're too stupid to approach them the wrong way. Maybe I've watched Finding Nemo too many times to avoid hearing "takin' on the jellies; you've got some serious thrill issues, dude," when reading "Jelly" as a nickname for Angels.
Heh. Jelly was just meant to derive straight from the word Angel, just as the old WW1/WW2 staple Jerry did from Germany. I also like Flapper, but I'm less keen on Wingnut, because of its existing use as a political epithet.

On the whole, most group nicknames that I can think of have either been some derivation of the name (like the above), a popular name in the group/nation in question (e.g. "Micks" for the Irish in the USA, "Fritz" for Germans and "Tommy" for English in WWI/WW2 again, "Ivan" for Russians, etc.), or a trait of the group in question (often dietary - "Kraut" for german again, the aforementioned "Limey", and then also "Rosbif", "Frog", etc.)
bcoogler
Youngling

Post by bcoogler »

Personally, I voted for two: Flappers and Birdies.

I think we're far enough away from the 1920's now for the term Flapper to be reused in this context, and not be confused with somewhat liberated women from 90 years ago.

I also like the term bird or birdie, since it can tie in with expressions like, "A little birdie told me...."

Oh course, one can come up with obscure references too, like calling an angel a "Debra" (as in Debra Winger).

Hmmm. Flapper, Birdie, Debra. All terms having to do with women too. A pattern? :)
thegreatpl
Youngling

Post by thegreatpl »

I voted for Flappers. Short and simple.
Michael Garrity
Youngling

Post by Michael Garrity »

Since there were several instances of demons being run over and squished by tanks and other AFVs, why not call them 'crunchies' or 'squishies'? I can just imagine some Abrams driver singing to himself "...Romper Bomper, Stomper Boo <CRUNCH> :lol:

Mike Garrity