Naming a government

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Naming a government

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

Federation
Republic
Confederation
Empire
Hegemony

I am trying to name the galactic organization in my story. To put it as simply as possible, it is like the Republic in SW, only effective. but I don't want to call it that. So do any of you guys know a good term for a system of government that I didn't list above that may apply(or may not, as it is not the only system of governement in my story)?
BotM Cybertronian
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Just a few I grabbed from SE4.

Alliance
Amalgamation
Ascendancy
Assembly
Band
Battalion
Border Lands
Brigade
Business
Cities
Clan
Clans
Coalition
Collective
Combine
Commonwealth
Confederation
Congress
Consortium
Corporate
Council
Darkness
Directorate
Dynasty
Empire
Expanse
Expansion
Federal Nation
Federal Union
Federation
Forums
Fraternal Order
General Lands
Government
Great Kingdom
Hegemony
Hive
Imperium
Internation
Island
League
Megapolis
Metropolis
Middle Worlds
Monarchy
Near Land
Neutral
Nexus
Official Territory
Oligarchy
Omnilands
Palace
Parliament
Pride
Protectorate
Queen's Land
Rebellion
Regime
Republic
Revolution
Senate
Society
Sovereignty
Supremacy
Syndicate
Territorial
Territories
Territory
Tribe
Tribes
Unification
Unified Nation
Union
United Empires
United Worlds
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Organisation
The dominion
The free community
The free planets
The free systems
The alliance of free systems (the alliance for short)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

Thank you very much! A list that size is very helpful, as each planet in the union, though a member of a much larger organization, is allowed to govern itself however it wishes within reason as long as it doesn't violate certain inalienable rights, so I will need names for the organizations with the organization.

I'm starting my own "Dune Encyclopedia" for the people places and terms in my story. Here's a sample entry(the second I have ever written):

GALL GRAG KEN- the ancient martial art of the Qinecs, designed to train and prepare all of its pupils to best much larger opponents (that being 82% of the known sentient races in the galaxy), with the emphasis on learning how to maneuver in various levels of gravity. Students are placed in gravity chambers that simulate lower levels of gravity, and occasionally higher levels, though the Qinec homeworld, Vuldronai II, has one of the highest gravitaional pulls of any inhabited world in charted space. Thei lessons are conducted according to the gravity they are training in, and within decades of First Contact, most worlds were given a numerical designation of their gravitational pull.

Since most Qinecs are 4 feet tall at the most (the largest on record is Henor Famino (12,224-13,458), who reached a height of 5 and 3/4 feet and though he enjoyed a long career as a traveling musician and actor, succumbed at a relatively young age to the inherent symptons of Qinec acromegaly, also known as giantism), the four philosophies of Gall Grag Ken are as follows:

1. Know your enemy as he knows himself. Do not make
the first, or the second offensive move. Use your speed and small size to dodge and assess.

2. Match your own movements to the enemy and his means of attack. He may attack from above or he may be cunning to strike low.

3. Never look upon your size as a weakness. Nor your enemy's. Skill balances the scale of size, speed, and strength.

4. When all that has been done, see the legs as the trunk of a mighty tree. Damage to the legs will bring the enemy down to your level, and pain will hinder his reach and skill. Our short legs are our gift. Long legs can be a liability to the unseasoned warrior.

Gall Greg Ken started to develop almost immediately upon the first contact with Zeigess' Consortium of Free Systems due to the shock at how many races dwarfed the Qinecs. The old religion of Fegre ai Gelgre (the deity who is both Holy Father and Blessed Mother) was already on a decline, and worship dropped off steadily over the next two hundred years. But the Fegrian Monks made one final contribution to their homeworld as they developed the defense against giants.

Today there exist only temples crumbling in the humid jungle air of Vuldronai II, but the legacy of the Fegrians remains in how many Qinec lives have been saved by their ability to use their opponents' size against them and the admiration for the power contained in small bodies by other races.
BotM Cybertronian
Mr. Mister
Youngling

Post by Mr. Mister »

Avoiding such things as "The Congolmeration", there's always

Polis
State
Nation
City-State/Nation-State, which in your case could be the Planet-State

(You've got to love political science jargon giving you a Nation-State called The United States divided into 50 States and having among its citizenry

Then you've got things like Emirates and Caliphates and Sees and Principalities and the like. In a large enough setup, a Duchy of a planet would be more or less an Autonomous Region (Dune, anybody?).

You could have Cantons, or Special Administrative Regions. Both are more fun than just calling your divisions Provinces or Sectors.

Then there's always prefixes and modifiers: Grand, Planetary, Over, Uber, Galactic, Really Honkin' Big, etc. Your galactic organization could be the Really Honkin' Big Confederation, if just calling it the Confederation was insufficient.

Administration. Coalition. Transitional State.

Now that would be interesting: The Transitional Galactic Hegemony. Doesn't inspire you to much confidence? Something like The Universal Bureacracy sounds more appropriate.
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

Howsabout..... "frontier".

Like....The Gamma Draconis Frontier.
Or......The Orion Frontier.

Although it does seem to me that it sounds better when applied to space territories.

EDIT: Shamelessly ripped from Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy:

"Authority", such as the "United Nations Transitional Authority", a "temporary" government set up on Mars after the failed revolution of the 2060s. In actuality controlled by huge transnational corporations (Mitsubishi, Armscor, Subarashii, Praxis, and the like. They were later re-classified as meta-national corporations).
-Luke
Admiral Cross
Youngling

Post by Admiral Cross »

Go Mars series go ! :D
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

A name for a republic

Representative Democracy

Dirrerent from a true Republic in that in a true Republic the People vote on every issue. A Representitive Democracy elects the leaders who then make the decisions.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!