The Last Hope (SW x Midkemia)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crown
NARF

The Last Hope (SW x Midkemia)

Post by Crown »

Disclaimer

I own absolutely no rights to the characters portrayed in this story. They are the respective property of George Lucas and Raymond E. Feist. I am only writing a fan fiction for pleasure and do not derive any monetary remuneration. This is solely for entertainment value. The below story is my own intellectual property…

Back Story

Our story begins a few months following the failed rebel strike on the second Death Star. Jedi Luke Skywalker is missing and presumed dead, the rebellion is in disarray, and is trying to hold together its fragile alliance of hope.

The Emperor has nearly completed his ultimate weapon, the most powerful version of the Death Star ever. Star systems that were once secretly supportive of the rebellion are now desperate to hide their past indiscretions and openly support Palpatine and his New Order…..
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 1 – Genesis of Plans

The Force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it…. And my sister has it.”

The words shocked Leia awake. For one blinding instant she could see Luke’s profile hovering over hers, concerned, worried. And then at last it fled. Her head rose in a vain effort to keep the image in her sights, but it would not stay still. Feeling alone and cold, she brought her knees up to her chin and wrapped her arms around them. Trying to warm herself.

In front of her, the door to her bedroom slid open. A soft querying growl drew her attention away.

“No Chewie, I’m fine. Just a bad dream that’s all.” Chewbacca growled another question at her with concern etched in his massive frame. “Yes it is the same one as last night, no need to send in the marines here Chewie.”

Her tone was gruffer then she meant, and while Chewbacca didn’t seem to take any offence at them, they hurt her none the less. When did I become so jagged?

“I am sorry Chewie, you didn’t deserve that. I am alright really. Just let me get dressed and I will be out there with you in a few moments, okay?”

Chewbacca’s massive frame lent into the room for a brief second and gave the room a quick scan. Then satisfying himself that all was in order nodded his approval, stepped out from under the door and closed it behind himself.

Sliding out of her bed, Leia went to the refresher station and splashed some cold water on her face. It was an exhilarating experience, or more; memories of the hot springs near the cool rivers of Alderaan. As a child she remembered the jumping from one to another as a sort of game. Once again the knowledge that no other child would be given the chance know Alderaan like that saddened her. Dwelling on the past allows the present to slip away she reminded herself. With that she rushed to grab some clothes and get outside where undoubtedly Chewie waited patiently for her.

When the metal door slid to the side at her touch she was confronted by the sight of a six foot tall mountain of hair. “So are you just going to stand there all day, or are we going to find Han?”

She got a curt growl in response. “What do you mean he told you to make sure that I rest? I was asleep for a few hours, you didn’t let anyone disturb me, and I awoke under my own violation. So you have fulfilled your role perfectly, and I am rested and wish to go and find Han. Any problems?” Chewbacca blinked which Leia took as an approval and bossed her way past him.

“Now where has that scoundrel gotten himself?” With a sharp bark and a gesture down to the left corridor Chewbacca began to lead the way. “Ah Chewie, the Falcon is back the other way.”

Grumbling, Chewbacca corrected her.

“He is talking to Mon Mothma about what?! How long has he been talking Chewie?” A nervous half mumbled bark was given in response. “Oh no.”

“I understand what you are saying Han, really I do. However given our present condition, it would be impossible to devote sufficient resources to this task.” Mon Mothma, the leader of the Rebellion, sat across from Han and for no less than the fifth time in this conversation, refused his plan.

“Look, no one knows better than me as to the current state that we find ourselves in, but I feel that it’s necessary that we do devote some time to this line of investigation.” Han for his part had for the better half of the last two hours kept suggesting his plan by rephrasing his wording. It was a technique which had served him well in many negotiations, and he couldn’t understand why it was not effective here. “I know that we need to regroup and reassess our position, but we would lose by being cautious, all that we have gained by being bold. Mon Mothma very simply put we need to act.”

Mon Mothma’s eyes seem to stare into a distance beyond Han. It was an awkward moment before her reply came. “Han, we had our one chance to strike boldly. We failed. We cannot oppose the Emperor openly. Not anymore. His power is if anything stronger now that our forces were seen to flee before him! Han-” she began soflty seeing the disappointment in his gaze. “-this fault doesn’t lay solely on you, and I don’t believe it lays with anyone in this Rebellion. We were simply out classed.”

“So the Rebellion has been defeated. Are we to just fade away now?”

“Defeated, yes in this battle Han, but vanquished in the war? No we have still a mandate to serve, a purpose. As long as I draw breath the spirit of the Rebellion will never die in me. We just need to change tact that is all.”

“I know.” The admission stunned Han. “I just wish for more.”

A sad shadow passed over Mon Mothma’s face as she looked upon Han. She made a decision inside her, one that she might regret later. “Then I will give you this much Han. Given our present state your particular expertise would not be required for a while. So I give you leave to undertake this mission. I wish you the best of luck, but I fear that only disappointment awaits you on this path.”

“Disappointment I am used to Mon Mothma, but thankyou. I will try and not draw too much attention to myself.”

“How soon do you intend to leave?”

Han leaned back into his chair and scratched the back of his head absent-mindedly. “Tomorrow the latest. The longer I delay, the harder the search will become. Besides I have to find a way to convince Leia to stay behind. She would be too much of a problem otherwise.”

“I don’t envy you that conversation.” Mon Mothma stood up and crossed the distance to Han. “Take care Han, and come back to us.”

Smiling Han replied; “Hey, it’s me.” Rising he shook hands with Mon Mothma and excused himself from her office. Not as much as I had wanted, but still better than I hoped Han reminded himself. Too preoccupied with thoughts of how he was to explain all of this to Leia, he didn’t even notice her fiery presence storming down the hallway towards him.

“You are troubled Lord Vader.” From his throne, the Emperor’s yellow eyes bore themselves in Vader’s soul. Lying was fruitless; his master could catch lies easier than Vader could hide them. Truth was the only option.

“I am thinking about the sister that Skywalker thought of, before the end. She could potentially become just as much of a threat as he had. I wonder whether or not to search for her master.” His mechanical breathing echoed throughout the chamber.

“Yes, indeed. It is a sound idea to consider this new threat before it has formed.” The Emperor closed his eyes for a brief period, Vader for his part remained silent and still. His master was engaging his powers to pierce the veil of the future, and patience would eventually award him an answer. “However no more Jedi are alive to train her, so we are given some leisure of time. Come Lord Vader, we shall return to Coruscant and discuss this more deeply. Is everything ready?”

“Yes my master. The Death Star will be completed in a few short months. And Admiral Piett awaits your arrival.”

“Good. Everything has progressed as I have foreseen my old friend. Let us return home.”
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Cool a Starwars & Midkemia crossover.

Well the crossover with Midkemia explains how Leia is 'Force' trained. But non of this Light side/Dark side stupidity. :D

The question is do the people from Midkemia visit Starwars Galaxy via that wierd trans-dimensional/go somewere else hallway or some other way.

And more importantly, what is the time frame in Midkemia. Cos unless this is very earlier and involves minor characters; some of the Characters make Uber Jedi look positively weak.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

ggs wrote:Cool a Starwars & Midkemia crossover.

Well the crossover with Midkemia explains how Leia is 'Force' trained. But non of this Light side/Dark side stupidity. :D
Bingo! I needed Leia to be the hero, but the dilema was; who is going to train her? So I thought a fantasy corssover would be appropriate.
The question is do the people from Midkemia visit Starwars Galaxy via that wierd trans-dimensional/go somewere else hallway or some other way.
I don't think that I will have any Midkemian characters come into the SW Galaxy. The few powerful beigns aren't too much of a threat, more like Leia gets thrust in there, while the rest of the galaxy continues on without her, until she returns.
And more importantly, what is the time frame in Midkemia. Cos unless this is very earlier and involves minor characters; some of the Characters make Uber Jedi look positively weak.
Hmmm, not too sure on that at the moment. I think I wan Nakor to be a feature, since he has a unique view on things and he would be fun to write, as well as Tomas and Milamber (alright, Pug if you prefer). Which probably means, sometime after The Kings Buccanear or Shards of a Broken Crown.

And as for power levels, not really. Their tricks are certainly more extensive and impressive than a Jedi's, but in terms of raw power? Not really no. Palpantine circa DE would have positively bitched slapped most of the major characters. Well I think so anyway!
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Crown wrote:Hmmm, not too sure on that at the moment. I think I wan Nakor to be a feature, since he has a unique view on things and he would be fun to write, as well as Tomas and Milamber (alright, Pug if you prefer). Which probably means, sometime after The Kings Buccanear or Shards of a Broken Crown.
The problem with including Tomas & Milamber is they have such exterme powers & abilities. However Tomas & Milamber are generally highly reluctant to actually do anything.
And as for power levels, not really. Their tricks are certainly more extensive and impressive than a Jedi's, but in terms of raw power? Not really no. Palpantine circa DE would have positively bitched slapped most of the major characters. Well I think so anyway!
Actually, in raw power various Jedi & Sith really havent been show todo that much. Its only the Uber wank Sith/Jedi which can overpower (aka that Sith which could destroy star systems) the higher end Midkemia characters.

In the Midkemia series, the Great Ones & other high power character rarely do anything with the power, to prevent Deus Ex Machinas from solving every single problem the various characters face.

The biggest thing is the Great Ones & similar, work together in large numbers for various things.

Several thousand Great Ones worked together to teleport a planet to another starsystem (we dont know the distance between the old & new star systems, but it could be anything), and Milamber(aka Pug) at the end of the Midkemia timeline basicly founds a movement to combat the influence of a God, with a capital 'G'.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

ggs wrote:The problem with including Tomas & Milamber is they have such exterme powers & abilities. However Tomas & Milamber are generally highly reluctant to actually do anything.
No they really don't. They have really, really cool tricks, and some power to be sure. But nothing which would totally awe and overwhelm a Jedi. Don't get me wrong, compared to quite a few magic users, they are unbelievable. But compared to say the Jedi/Sith in the EU, well they are only slightly more powerful.
Actually, in raw power various Jedi & Sith really havent been show todo that much. Its only the Uber wank Sith/Jedi which can overpower (aka that Sith which could destroy star systems) the higher end Midkemia characters.
Not so. 1 on 1 Palpy from DE would go toe to toe with everyone bar Macros (joined with Sarig), and come up smelling like roses.

The Valheru's awesome powers were only truely awesome when they mergerd.
In the Midkemia series, the Great Ones & other high power character rarely do anything with the power, to prevent Deus Ex Machinas from solving every single problem the various characters face.
That is true, but when they do do something, they either need a long wind up time (to gather power), or their combat magic isn't anymore impressive than say a good SW blaster.
The biggest thing is the Great Ones & similar, work together in large numbers for various things.
Yes that is true. And undoubtably powerful, however this takes time, coordination and planning. Watch what happens during combat, the spells are powerfull, but when they are just tossed around, they aren't orders of magnitude beyond what SW tech, and Jedi/Sith could do.
Several thousand Great Ones worked together to teleport a planet to another starsystem (we dont know the distance between the old & new star systems, but it could be anything),
I agree. But that was several thousand (actually we don't know the exact number as Hocho said that the visions were only representations, and he thought it stuck of Opera), and again I say that it is very impressive. But when you see Great Ones and other mages in combat, their spells are of a much lower limit, and they do tire aswell. So they aren't totally uber.

I mean if a group of half-arsed, half-trained Jedi can fling 17 odd Star Destroyers out of a solar system, imagine what several thousand of them could do! :shock:

See what I am getting at?
and Milamber(aka Pug) at the end of the Midkemia timeline basicly founds a movement to combat the influence of a God, with a capital 'G'.
Indeed. But notice they battle his influence and not him. Hell they haven't been able to kill Sidi yet.

Once again, Milamber and Tomas are freakin' powerful, if and only if they are given time to collect their powers. In the heat of battle their powers shouldn't bee too much of a hassel to Force users from the EU.

Especially to the daughter of the chosen one! :wink:
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 2 – Points of Departure

“Well you’ve looked better.” Lando commented as he strapped himself into the navigational chair. “In fact right now you remind me of a Jawa that has been ill used by a Rancor. Unpleasant conversation with Leia?”

Han shot him a glace and couldn’t help being irritated by the suggestion of a smile tugging at the corners of Lando’s mouth. “I have had better.”

“And what you thought that she would just take your orders without question?” Yes the smile was definitely there now. “And I thought you were a fair tactician.”

“Well if you must know, I didn’t exactly expect smiles and hugs, but that was just scary.” Great now he is about to laugh Han thought to himself. “Chewie, do we have clearance to leave the docking bay?” With Chewbacca’s reply in the affirmative, Han tried to ignore Lando as much as possible by concentrating on his piloting instead.

Effortlessly the Millennium Falcon glided out of the docking bay of their Mon Cal cruiser which had been their home for the last few months. Checking the nav-computer again he prepared to make the jump to lightspeed.

“Lando are you sure this path will be okay to use?”

“Sure, it will take us to Coruscant in three jumps, effectively making it impossible for the air traffic control to trace our originating vector. The ship’s logs and I.D’s have all been altered, we shouldn’t have any problems.”

Trusting Lando, Han reached out to the hyper drive control module ahead of him, wrapped his hand around the three levers and pulled back. The starry background of space lurched forward to the brilliant iridescent display of hyperspace. Leaning back into the pilot’s seat Han was thinking about the events with Leia. Or rather was trying to until he heard a noise that had absolutely no business belonging on his ship.

“Oh I say Artoo, look we just entered hyperspace again! You were right the display is much better up here.”

Spinning around so fast that it threatened to snap the pilot’s chair Han came face to face with his greatest annoyance. “Goldernrod, unless I am very much mistaken, you are aboard my ship without my permission.”

“Well begging your pardon General-“

“Captain” snapped Han.

“-Captain Solo,” continued Threepio “I too had the exact same reservations, however I was told that you would be needing myself and Artoo’s service on this mission and that we would be welcomed.”

“Welcomed? Really, and tell me professor; who exactly told you this?” Even as he asked the question Han already knew the answer. A quick glance around the cockpit revealed two sets of very much alive eyes avoiding his glare.

“Why by General Calrissian, Chewbacca and Princess Leia of course.”

“Is that so?” Han’s voice practically dripped with venom.

“Well yes sir, that is what I just said wasn’t it?” Threepio, for some unexplainable reason, had still failed to catch on when to shut up.

“Han” interjected Lando smoothly. “Threepio’s and particularly Artoo’s abilities are of crucial importance at this point. Getting angry about it isn’t going to change anything.” I don’t believe that he could possibly smile even more! Han mused to himself.

“Yeah well I guess. Either way, you-“ he pointed to Threepio, “-out of the cockpit and strap yourself in, you’re too fragile to have walking about unattended.”

“Why certainly sir, I was just about-“ Threepio’s sentence was cut short by Artoo’s derisive squawk. “Well excuse me I believe that I am the protocol droid on this ship and I clearly-“ With another squawk Artoo spun around and headed back to the lounge. “Don’t play semantics with me, you over-glorified grease monkey!” Returned Threepio as he followed Artoo away from the cockpit.

From the observation room on the Mon Cal cruiser Home One, Leia watched as the Millennium Falcon sped away. I do hope that they don’t get themselves into too much trouble she mused. Silent footsteps approaching from behind her drew her attention away.

“Hello Winter.” Leia said quietly.

“Princess, have they left already?”

“Yes. They just made the jump to hyperspace. They’re committed now.” Answered Leia.

“So I take it then that you too are committed with this scheme of yours?” Winter’s voice carried just a hint of disapproval.

“Very much so. Han and the others feel that there is still hope that Luke is out there, and that they can somehow track him down and bring him back to us. I don’t wish to divert them from this hope.” She replied with her eyes fixed out to space.

“You though believe that Jedi Skywalker is dead, don’t you?” Probed Winter.

“Believe Winter? No I don’t believe, I know.” She turned to stare at Winter. “I felt him die on the Death Star. I know without doubt that Luke Skywalker is no longer among us.” Fighting off the sadness that threatened to overwhelm her, Leia continued. “No. What remains now is a personal quest for me, something that I am not even sure will result in success, but something that is necessary.”

“I don’t pretend to understand all that transpired on Endor princess, but I have very strong reservations about what you are attempting.”

“I know Winter, but I ask this of you as a friend. Please help me.”

“Of course I will help you princess. That was never in doubt. I just wish to know why? Why are you doing this?”

“I am doing this for the same reason that you are helping me.” Seeing the confused expression on Winter’s face Leia continued. “To keep a promise, to a dear friend.” Silence followed her admission. “Now is the supply transport ready?”

“They leave for Tatooine first thing in the morning. I have already told them that you will be joining them for the first leg of their journey, but that you won’t be returning with them. Commander Fey’sto, he is the Bothan, will be waiting for you before departure.”

“Thank you Winter. Well I guess there’s nothing else to do now and go and pack, and maybe get a bit of sleep before I leave.”

“Chewbacca impressed upon me that you don’t seem to be able to rest well.”

“I did say sleep and not rest.” She replied as she began to lead the way back to her quarters. “Anyway Winter, sooner or later exhaustion will just over take me and I will finally get the rest that I need.”
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Hmm, 118 views and only a handful of responses. I could only have contributed to about 90 of the views, so who else is interested in this story?
Bill Door
Padawan Learner

Post by Bill Door »

I'm interested, and more would be appreciated.
For example, suppose I wrote a book that within 30 years of the moon landing millions of people could be duped by bad science and endless hectoring into believing that it didn't happen... nah, can't do that, too unbelievable for a fantasy novel, right?--Terry Pratchett, The new Discworld Companion
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 3 – Promises and Deals

“You know that this isn’t going to work.” Han turned to Lando with a very dispassionate expression. They had arrived at Coruscant over two days ago. Managed to rent out a nice little apartment where they could leave the droids to scrounge through all the media and data available. Along with Chewbacca they had set out to find some of the more influential fringe in this area hoping to open some lines of communication with the underworld of Coruscant.

“Could you just trust me for once?” Responded Lando as he gave the bar another quick scan. “We only sent most of the messages a week before leaving Home One, it will take some time for any of my old contacts to get here in time. And besides if you didn’t think this would work, why didn’t you say so before?”

“I did say so before!” Han exclaimed. “But you for some reason convinced me that we should come to Imperial Centre of all places to find your ‘contacts’ for crying out loud. I say Corellia, you say no. I say Hutt space, but you say no.” Han began shaking his head.

“Listen you pirate.” Lando interjected as he took another sip of his Westrel Brandy, his left hand played absently with the napkin on the table. “When will you learn that at the seat of greatest power is where some of the more high level fringe are. We aren’t after some one man smuggling group here. We need people who operate on both sides of the fence for this and this is the place to find them.” Lando took a breath to continue, but stopped himself when he saw Chewbacca returning with a middle aged man. “Good Chewie found him, now we need to play this exactly right, we don’t know whether he will sell us out or help us, so just let me do the talking.” Lando said as he began to rise out of his seat.

“Terrific.” Muttered Han, as he too rose. “What’s this guys name again?”

“Vilard, Strope Vilard.” Replied Lando from the corner of his mouth. Han chanced a quick look at his old friend and saw that he already had a pleasant smile on his face. Deciding that it was best to follow Lando’s instincts in this matter he assumed a neutral expression, while at the same time loosened the strap on his holster.

“Mr. Villard,” began Lando as he offered his hand “it’s so nice to see that you were able to make it.”

“It wasn’t too much of bother Calrissian,” replied Villard as he took Lando’s hand and shook it once “I was here on an errand any way and I thought that given our past dealings that I at least should pay a visit out of respect. Though this is a most peculiar surroundings to discuss business.” He ended with his eyes glancing back and forth between Chewbacca and Han.

“You must humour me in this regard I am afraid. It will all become clear later, but until then may I offer you a seat and a drink perhaps?” Lando replied as he gestured to the empty chair opposite him and Han.

“No I don’t think I will be staying long enough for a drink, but thankyou just the same.” Villard replied as he sat down. His eyes still gazing at Han.

“I am sorry, where are my manors? Let me introduce my companions, these two and I go way back, this is Han Solo and Chewbacca.” Lando gestured to each of them in turn as he too sat down. “Yes very old friends of mine, who coincidently have the same business as me, hence their presence here.”

“Gentle beings.” Replied Villard as he nodded to each in turn. “Your fame precedes you, Jabba’s price on both of your heads was quite substantial if I remember correctly. And now that reports of his death have filtered throughout the underworld, there are many people out there who either would like to shake your hands, or drive a vibro-blade through your hearts while holding on to them.”

“Nice to know that you’re loved.” Han snipped as his right hand slid over the butt of his blaster. He risked a casual scan around the room. While Villard himself didn’t seem to be a threat, he surely would have brought some back-up with him. When Han looked over at the bar he found at least one of them. A non-descript kind of humanoid alien. He sat comfortably in his chair, hunched over his drink. The same drink, Han’s memory recalled, as he had for the last twenty minutes.

“I don’t think that love has anything much to do with it Han,” began Lando “profit is what this all boils down to. Wouldn’t you agree Villard?”

“Indeed.” Villard’s eyes seem to narrow a moment. He wasn’t sure now which way this conversation was heading, but decided to play along. “You made quite a few people a very nice handsome sum of money, others though lost in Jabba’s death.”

“And your employer?” Lando began to press. “Did he ‘profit handsomely’ as you put it?” Watching Villard’s mind switch from one topic to another seemed to delight Lando. Villard was a poor sabaac player, he couldn’t hide his cards at all. Lando could see the confusion in his posture.

“The affairs of my employer,” began Villard as he glanced towards the bar “are his private business Calrissian, and shall remain such. However let us say that he doesn’t bare any ill-will towards to good Captain.”

“I would think not, but what I was more interested in hearing was whether your employer perhaps had some gratitude towards Han.” Looking at Lando, Han saw the hunger in his eyes. Lando had Villard on the ropes and he knew it. Han for his part was more concerned with the fact that Villard’s back-up had seemed to vanish from the bar. Han couldn’t see him. He had a very bad feeling about this.

“Jabba’s death alone would not ensure that kind of response Calrissian.” Villard brought his hands across his chest and crossed them, leaning back into his chair. “You called me here to discuss this? A conversation that could have been held over a comm-conference?” Villard now raised his right hand to his chin and gave it a slight scratch. Was that the signal to his back-up? Han tensed his shoulders.

“Because I find comm-conferences a little too impersonal.” Lando retorted. “Especially when one is willing to make a trade.” His hand was still playing with napkin on the table, now spinning it in a lazy circle.

Villard for his part started scratching his chin even more furiously. “Trade? I haven’t heard you talk anything of trade Calrissian. So far all you have done is suggest an erroneous assumption that my employer is somehow indebted to the good Captain here.”

“You may stop scratching your chin Villard, your back-up isn’t going to do anything stupid.” Villard’s hand froze in mid-scratch, Lando’s eyes flashed in feral delight. “But make no mistake your employer does owe myself and my associates a debt of gratitude. One that perhaps he needs reminding off.” With that Lando slid the napkin under his hand across the table and leaned back into his chair.

With trepidation Villard reached out and dragged the napkin closer to himself. It was folded in half in a triangle shape. Carefully, resentfully he unfolded the napkin so that what ever was hidden in the middle would be obstructed from anyone’s view but his own. Han glanced at Chewie, and then looked closely at Villard’s face. His eyes widened slowly as surprise spread over it, then his features hardened. Whether it was in anger or frustration Han couldn’t rightly say. However this was the moment, Han knew, whether they will secure what they wanted, or they would find themselves in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Lando let the silence hang for a moment before he continued. “Well Mr. Villard, don’t you believe that this evidence does indeed demand your employer’s gratitude?”

“Where did you get this?” Villard’s eyes shot up to look at Lando. “How did you get this?”

Lando leaned in closer to Villard and lowered his voice and deepened it. “The where and how of, are my affairs. All that is required of you is understanding.” Lando’s smile was well and truly gone now. “You will need to understand that while I could use this against your employer, I instead choose to call in the favour that he very much owes us.”

Villard was at a loss. Would they be foolish enough to be bluffing? Could I just humour them and then kill them quietly later? Or is this just the tip of an iceberg? How much damage could these three smuggler cause? Thoughts and possibilities flashed in his mind, but which option was the correct one? Lando spared him the choice.

“This favour, let me assure you, is very small and does not compromise your employer or his activities in the slightest.” Lando began in placating manner. “And naturally it clears all debts, and buys our silence in this matter, of course.”

What choice do I have, but to hear him out? Villard thought. Taking a deep breath. “What is this favour?” He braised himself for the worst.

“Having worked closely, very closely, with your employer in the past,” Lando reminded him. “I have come to realise that he somehow avoids Imperial entanglements better than most. But that’s not the favour.” Lando hastily added when he saw the look on Villard’s face. “We don’t wish him to compromise himself by doing something for us, we merely wish for the slicing cracks to the Imperial mainframe library here on Coruscant.”

’Merely’ wish for?” Villards face was incredulous. “Calrissian you ask for much!”

“I offer much in return.” Lando retorted. “The codes will of course not be used to gain power over your employer. They will not be used to compete with him. You have my personal pledge on that. But we will accept no other form or remuneration. Decide now whether our silence is worth a little piece of information.”

Villard’s eyes seem to be moving so fast, that Han thought that they might pop out of his head. “I haven’t got the authority to give you anything so precious to my employer. Allow me to return to him and to discuss this with him in person.”

“No.” Lando’s voice took a definite edge to it. “We either have his assurances here or now, or there is no deal. There is a public comm-station around the corner behind you.” Lando indicated with a point of his chin. “Call your employer if you must, but his answer must be given now. Chewbacca will escort you.” Chewie moved over behind Villard’s chair, placed one of his massive paws over the little man’s shoulder and began to march him away.

“You over did it.” Han criticised.

“Maybe,” Lando allowed “but Villard is a small fool, I need him to walk away from this feeling as much helplessness as possible. He has no doubt been hearing all the rumours about Jabba’s demise, and he is worried.”

Shrugging his shoulders Han replied. “I guess, but I would much rather have played that a little softer. Do you think that he’s employer will accept? I don’t feel like fighting our way off Coruscant.”

“He’s employer has just been caught with his hand in the jar.” Lando flashed a brief smile at this. “If he accepts he looses little, he only gives up a secret to us. If he refuses he looses a great deal more. The end of the day the bottom line is what matters to him. We don’t have anywhere near the resources to compete with him, even if we knew the entire extent of his operation. However the information that we do currently have on him, well; that would ruin his operation totally.”

“So what’s to stop him from just trying to kill us?”

“Han, we are responsible for Jabba’s demise. While all that we were trying to accomplish was your rescue, who in our profession will believe that? I bet that pretty much every king-pin between here and wild space would be having nightmares of us coming to end their little piece of paradise.” Lando chuckled to himself over that. “Villard’s boss is no one’s fool, but if he does this, he imagines that we will leave him alone. In the end it’s going to be his fear of us that convinces him.” Whatever response Han had to that was cut short by Villard’s reappearance, with Chewie shadowing him closely.

Stopping short of Lando and Han, Villard looked at each of them. “My employer agrees.” Reaching into his shirt pocket with two fingers he retrieved a standard voice comm with little data-transmitter connected on the end. Separating the data-comm from the end, he offered it to Lando. “He will transmit the codes to you in a moment. I presume that you want to verify them?”

Lando reached his hand out to accept the data-transmitter from Vilard, while Han reached into his pocket and retrieved his comm. Thumbing it on, he spoke into it. “Goldenrod, can you hear me?”

A very prissy and precise voice answered back. “Why yes Captain Solo, I am here”- an electronic squeal cut him off-“as is Artoo.” He added hastily.

“Plug the comm into Artoo, and tell him to stand-by to receive. I also want him to verify the codes that are being sent.” Instructed Han.

“Yes of course Captain Solo.” As Threepio moved to follow Han’s orders, Lando handed Han the data-transmitter. Taking it in his hand, he plugged it into the bottom of his comm and waited. “You may tell your employer to send the codes.” He instructed Villard.

Villard raised his comm to his mouth. “Begin sending the codes.” He said.

Han’s comm began flickering as it downloaded the transmission and then uploaded it to Artoo. When the transfer was complete, a tense silence followed while the waited for Artoo to confirm the codes. “Captain Solo, Captain Solo! Can you hear me?” An anxious voice issued out of the comm.

“Yes, are the codes correct?” Replied Han.

“Artoo replies that the codes are indeed genuine Captain Solo. Do you require us to do anything else?”

“No you two just sit tight, we’ll come by soon.” Han instructed Threepio as he cut off the comm not waiting for a reply. Disengaging the data-transmitter and handed it back to Villard.

“Please thank your employer for me.” Lando began. “And reassure him that this concludes our business and that I will not trouble him again.” Lando finished with a slight tilt of his head.

“I will relay your gratitude.” Responded Villard. “Am I free to leave now?”

“Certainly, you will find your man on the steps just outside the front door.” Lando replied as he began to stand. “Good evening to you Mr. Villard”

“And to you gentle beings.” With that Villard turned himself around on the balls of his feet and began to trace the quickest path out of the bar. All the while trying to look like he wasn’t running.

Han and Lando stood up and traced their way towards the bar, with Chewbacca bringing up the rear. They stoped in front of the bar tender. “You didn’t have too much trouble?” Asked Han.

“None at all, my boys got to him just when he was about to move.” The bartender replied. “Got all that you wanted?”

“Yeah, thanks Ardo. I owe you one.” Replied Han.

“No you don’t,” began Ardo “these mercs didn’t come cheap you know.” Sliding a bill across the bar.

Han just gazed briefly at it before he brought his head up with a cocky smile planted on his mouth. “You wouldn’t consider putting this on my tab would you?” Reading the expression of the bartender’s face, Han quickly changed his mind. “Ah, no that’s okay you don’t need to answer. Now let’s see, the mercs come to, ah yes well that isn’t too dear I guess, but really it’s not as if they actually did anything.” Doing some quick thinking he tried to come up with a figure that wouldn’t bankrupt him but would be enough to satisfy Ardo. “Ah yes, well how about I pay for their drinks, and of course their time, and a small bonus for the little action that they had?”

Ardo made a deep grumbling sound in the back of his throat. “Remind me to never let you into my bar again Solo.” Seeing the figure that Han proposed agreed with him though. “Alright, done and done. Now will you gentlemen be leaving from the front or from the rear exit?”

“Ah we will take the rear one.” Replied Han. “Well see you around Ardo.” The three of them began to make their way out of the bar when Ardo’s voice called out to them.

“Not if I have anything to do with it!”
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 4 – The Struggle Continues

The Wantha system wasn’t particularly interesting. In fact it was completely unremarkable. One average star, a few billion years old, some planets which didn’t contain any life and few asteroid rings. There was no major industrial interest in the system, nor was there any political interest in it at all. Its’ position wasn’t even a convenient transfer point for any sort of hyperspace traffic.

All of which had made it a very peculiar place for a large cargo ship, with an Imperial escort, to be seen slogging their way through. Bothan spies had alerted the Rebellion about this transfer almost a week and a half ago. This of course gave the Rebel leaders enough time to plan for an ambush. According to the Bothans, the freighter was carrying arms for the Imperial garrison at Duros, a system with heavy Rebel sympathisers. It therefore became imperative to stop the cargo from reaching its destination.

Wedge Antilles glanced at his tactical display in his cockpit. He could see the freighter and its escort, and new Lancer frigate, costing along to their transfer point. Hidden amongst one of the asteroid belts he simply sat still and waited until they passed the ‘kill line’. The line was located two thirds of the distance away from their transfer point, which meant that at this point it would take them just as long to continue to their transfer point, as to retreat to their origin. Of course they could just jump from where ever they wished, but this meant calculating new vectors, and possibly missing their target.

Checking his display once more, Wedge saw that it was time to send the signal. With a touch of a button, he had no doubt that he just set alarms wailing on the Imperial ships in the system. Firing up his X-Wings engines, he flicked on his tactical comm. “Okay Rogues form up, we are going in hot.” Checking to see that his wing mate was with him, Wedge formed the head of Rogue squadron’s spear. “Lock S-foils into attack position.”

Rogue squadron screamed away from the asteroid field in a practised reckless abandon. The freighter began to urge more speed out of her engines as she drove harder for the transfer point. The Lancer broke to its left as it began to intercept Rogue squadron’s vector. Alarms started wailing in his cockpit as warning systems told him that he was being locked on. Keeping his touch on the joystick, Wedge maintained his course and didn’t break formation.

The insistent beeping turned into a steady tone – lock. Wedge toggled his cannons to dual fire mode, and brought up his targeting display and selected the incoming missile. Waited for it to approach his optimum firing distance and then gently squeezed the trigger. A satisfying fireball appeared out side his cockpit a distance away. Wedge quickly checked his targeting display again, and there sure enough was a second missile hidden behind the first. Again he gently squeezed the trigger, and destroyed it.

Risking a quick glance to his tactical display he saw that all the Rogues were still there and had dealt with the first exchange admirably. A small blue button on his comm display started flashing. Wedge flicked his tactical comm on again. “Break up into wing groups, alter angle ninety degrees, we’ll come at this guy from above. Hack!” Wedge was jammed into his seat as the inertial dampers struggled to keep up with him.

A barrage of cannon fire tracked Rogue squadron as it began to climb up, then in perfect unison the twelve fighters broke off into four groups of three fighters in a blossom display. They began to arc in different directions, and the Lancer’s weapons anxiously fired upon them. So intent was the Lancer on eating away at the fighter’s shields that they didn’t notice the bow of the Nebula frigate that had just jumped out of hyperspace until it opened fire with its weapons.

The smaller Lancer shook lightly as it shields absorbed the opening salvo. Their weapons, which were training on the fighters, snapped back a quick response. Wedge lead his wing in a snap turn which pointed his nose directly at the Lancer. “Switch to torpedoes.” He ordered as he armed them to fire on dual mode. Guiding his X-Wing with a gentle rocking he waited but a moment for the torpedoes to lock onto their target.

Then he released them, and watched as dual glows of red pin points, sped away from his X-Wing towards the Lancer. He was pleased to see other red pin points moving with his own, and slowly, inevitably they detonated on the Lancer’s shields. The first few were stopped on the shields, but the latter ones managed to pass the small failure point to impact against the hull. A large explosion registered on his scopes, Wedge new that at least on torpedo had punched its way through.

The Nebula’s light turbolasers fired on with a renewed vigour. Slowly the Lancer’s return fire began to fade off as the ship began to list away from the Nebula.

“Rogues, this General Madine.” Madine’s voice echoed through Rogue squadron’s tactical frequency. “Good job, now burn as fast as you can and please stop that freighter from reaching the transfer.”

“Roger that General.” Responded Wedge. “Rogues, form up. Try and target mainly engines and shields.”

“You know this would be a little easier if we had some Ion cannons.” Replied one of his squandron mates.

“Cut the chatter Rogue six.” Wedge retorted. Focusing his attention ahead of him, he drove along with the rest of the squadron towards the hapless freighter. When he came up to firing distance, a voice cut through on a general frequency band.

“This is Captain Orandi, of the freighter Deeps Pace to unidentified craft. We surrender!” The captain sounded a little worried, but he was smart enough to know when to not risk the lives of his crew.

“Captain Orandi, this is General Madine of the Rebel Alliance. I accept your surrender. You are to stand down any weapon systems that you might have. You are to immediately stop your motion. And you are to prepare for boarding inspectors. Failure in any of these actions will result in immediate retaliatory action. Do you understand?”

“General Madine, I understand and I am obeying.” With that the freighter slowed its motion, and the display on Wedge’s X-Wing told him that they were powering down their systems.

“Rogue squadron, begin patrolling the system and set up a fighter screen.” General Madine’s voice cut through Wedge’s comm. “We are going to be here a while.”

“Roger that General.” Wedge confirmed. “Are we taking anyone with us when we leave?”

“We will of course take the weapons off the Deeps Pace, and then we will transfer the crew of the Lancer over to their care. The Lancer of course, will either be scuttled or brought with us.” The General informed him.

“Ah, sir.” Began Wedge. “Are we going to do all of this by ourselves? Don’t you think that we are being a little too sporting?”

“I have a cruiser inbound Commander.” Madine’s voice carried with it a hint of humour. “Now if there isn’t anything else?”

Wedge flushed. “No sir. Thankyou sir. Rogue squadron out.” He terminated the message as he began to fly guard around the three ships. Some part of Wedge wanted to be happy; this was a perfect victory for the Rebellion. A perfect plan with perfect execution and with no deaths. But Wedge couldn’t help being somehow unsatisfied with this. Luke wasn’t here.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 5 - Meetings

Dust-devils danced their tattoo across the face of Tatooine as the planet prepared its self for sleep. Its twin suns set across the western horizon, allowing a brief respite from their all consuming fires. The temperature of Tatooine began to plummet and an eerie quiet shouted an assault as the day time animals beat a quick retreat to their shelters. Soon the nocturnal predators would come out, in a replay of events that has been scripted over countless generations.

Outside and far from major centres of urban population Leia Organa prepared to rest. She had arrived on Tatooine three days ago, rented a small speeder and set out to find the old homestead that Luke grew up in. It was a difficult search; she was forced to rely on local guides and second hand descriptions that Luke had told her of his childhood home. She remembered some of it, but the memories were somehow hard to focus on. Luke’s absence had affected her in ways that she hadn’t considered. It was an agonising search.

After all if it hadn’t been for her, Luke would never have been involved in the Rebellion. His aunt and uncle would never have been slaughtered. He would never have been killed. Her actions laid the first step-stone on the path that had led to Luke’s demise. Her actions, her fault.

When she had finally found the homestead, she couldn’t bring herself to enter. Surely the place would have been ransacked by the various scavengers of Tatooine. Another crime she would have to bear. So it had been that for the first night, she camped alone out side and she dreamt.

I want to come with you to Alderaan. I want to learn the ways of the Force, and become a Jedi like my father.

The voice, Luke’s voice she realised, resonated through her mind. She couldn’t see him, just hear him. She could though feel him, and someone else. Someone wise. Someone loving and powerful. General Kenobi. They were standing together on a vast plateau, a rocky desert and there was a pyre. They was something burning, a smell as pungent as sorrow. Dead, they were burning the dead. Suddenly motion blurred her sight, a soft blue tinge appeared and she was no longer with them.

You must learn the ways of the Force also…” A voice was speaking from somewhere in the chaos of the blur. She waited for more, there was more she knew. Luke had revealed this conversation to her just after Yavin. She strained, her mind focused, her ears as sharp as a knife. General Kenobi was trying to convince Luke that he needed to go with him to Alderaan, and Luke was meant to refuse. The blue tinge intensified, took on a more ethereal quality.

You must learn the ways of the Force also…” The voice now residing from the ethereal light repeated. “You must learn the ways of the Force also. After all, is that not why you are here Leia Organa?” Leia’s body shook at being addressed directly. The ethereal light now took form. A human male, dressed in white and brown robes. Tall and elegant. Strength emanated through a posture that was made gentle by the face of a kindly old man.

“General Kenobi?” Her voice startled her. She had spoken out loud; she was no longer dreaming she was awake.

The figure in front of her smiled, and tension seeped out of Leia’s body. “Yes. I meet you again finally.”

“Is this a dream?” It was a stupid question, she knew she was awake but she was at a loss as to what to say.

“No Leia, this is no dream. You are very much awake.” The General took a few steps closer to her, as she began to rise from her slumber. “I come now to you Leia, at the time when our situation is most desperate.”

“You know about Luke.” Tears swelled in Leia’s eyes. “You know that he is no longer.” She bowed her head, unable to complete the sentence.

Kenobi’s lips pursed for a moment. “I felt his passing.” He confirmed. “He set out to turn Vader back to the Light. Vader and the Emperor crushed him. They stole secrets out of him Leia.” Leia’s head snapped back up as she locked eyes with Kenobi. “They know about you now. Vader is obsessed with the thought of you. You are now our last hope.”

The enormity of what those last words implied began to dawn on Leia. For the first time she thought about what she was preparing herself to accomplish. “I can’t do it General Kenobi. I thought that I could, but I can’t. I am not strong like Luke was.”

“Then the Emperor has already won.” Kenobi replied with a strange glint in his eye.

“Training me would be a mistake.” She continued. “I am so full of grief and anger that I would be a liability.” She searched Kenobi’s face for some kind of reaction.

“You are filled with sorrow. You are angry. However you are also strong and mature Leia. You were raised as a diplomat. You know that anger only clouds your judgement. You might decorate yourself with it, but in the end you always remain calm and in control.” He replied. “You are ready for this. You know it’s the only way to save the Rebellion and defeat the Emperor’s tyranny.” A resigned smile spread across his face. “In fact, if the truth be told. You are a far better candidate for training than my first apprentice.”

His first apprentice - Anakin. Leia was in awe. Here was a figure who despite some of the greatest tragedies and failures, refused to give up. He was still trying to do the right thing. How could she refuse? “What would you have me do?” She asked.

“Rest now, sleep. Tomorrow, make your way to my old hut. Can you find it?”

“Yes, Artoo gave me specific directions on the route I was to follow from Luke’s homestead.”

“Good.” Replied General Kenobi as he began to fade. “Then sleep peacefully Leia Organa, I will stand guard over you and protect you from the night. For tomorrow, you take your first step into a much larger world.” The last words were said with a smile, as General Obi-Wan Kenobi vanished from her sight. And that night for the first time since Endor, Leia slept without any nightmares.

She walked towards his throne with reverence. To serve was her joy, and in service she found reward. Those cold yellow eyes of his stared down upon her as she made her way to him. Reaching the first step, leading up to his throne, Mara Jade stopped and kneeled on one knee and bowed her head. “I have arrived master. What is your order?” She said lifting her eyes to match his gaze.

“Rise, Emperor’s Hand. And come forward my child.” His voice carried overtones of command that she dared not resist. Rising fluidly from her prone position, she gracefully mounted the stairs to his dais. “You are aware of what transpired at Endor?” He asked her when she reached the top of the stairs.

“Yes my master. Skywalker met the end that he eluded at Jabba’s.” The admission of her past failure stung her own ears. “The Rebellion was routed, and they fled in defeat. Your victory was twice as sweet.”

“That was not what I was referring to,” he admonished “I was more interested in the secret that Skywalker revealed just before the end.”

“I am not aware of all the details my master. When you made contact with me, Skywalker’s threat was over.” She reminded him. “What secret did this filthy rebel give up master?”

“A most troublesome one my child,” he began as the hardness of his gaze began to disturb Mara “a secret that he is not the only child of Skywalker. A secret that reveals that he is one half of a pair and both must be dealt with equally if both are to diminish. While one lives the threat is intensified.” He paused for effect. “I trust you understand the significance of this Mara Jade?”

Mara did indeed understand. On Bespin, Vader made an offer to his son, an offer to join with him for the purpose of destroying her master’s rule. Now with that avenue closed, would Vader seek out the last Skywalker and make the same offer? While Vader was beyond anyone’s skill to control – or kill – but her master’s, this last threat was very much in her jurisdiction. Vader could not be given the opportunity to succeed where in the past he has failed.

“The significance is not lost on me master.” She began. “The threat will be dealt with. I will not fail you.”

“See that you don’t Mara Jade.” He replied. “See that you don’t. But for now, return to your quarters and prepare. There is more time before we find her. When I am ready to send you, I will call you again.” His eyes flashed. “Leave me,” he gestured with his hand “and do not stray too close to Lord Vader. You are well trained at resisting his commands, but in this matter, I will not risk it.”

Mara bowed her head in parting. “I hear and obey master.” With that she backed down the stairs, bowed again, and made her way out of his throne room. She could feel his thoughts inside her head, a gentle pressure urging her to rest and yet filling her with power. She would not fail him again; she could not fail him again.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Cool, thought this had been abandoned. Nice to find out otherwise.

Kenobi was especially well done, and Leia is also good. Mara is a little one dimensional at this point, which is fair enough at this point considering you haven't really done anything with her yet, but I hope for change later.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

What is Midkemia?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Cool, thought this had been abandoned. Nice to find out otherwise.

Kenobi was especially well done, and Leia is also good. Mara is a little one dimensional at this point, which is fair enough at this point considering you haven't really done anything with her yet, but I hope for change later.
Yeah, I've written another four chapters or so, but they are just too heavy and weigh down the story, making it boring. It took me a while to figure out how to get around it, finally I just came to the conclusion of dumping them entirely and going a different direction.

You're right about Mara, but I have plans for her. :wink:
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Darth Fanboy wrote:What is Midkemia?
It's a fantasy world created by Raymond E. Fiest. :wink:
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 6 - Leads and Mysteries

Coruscant, Imperial centre of the galaxy. Home of the elite, and unfortunately for Han home for the bureaucracy. Han had never been too good at dealing with authority at any level; a natural rebellious streak in him had always prevented it. However what really irritated him most was a bureaucrat who had no real power, but was intoxicated with their own self importance. For some reason these people really grated at his patience.

And standing in front of him, for the second time today was a prime example of a petty bureaucrat. Lieutenant, second class, Michelle Tsang. A slightly attractive woman, with jet black hair, pale skin and sharp features. All of which were heightened by the Imperial uniform that she wore. In any other dress out fit she might have been beautiful, but her manor was what repulsed Han. Someone who stuck their nose in everyone else’s business. And here she was again peering down on Han, while he worked behind the Imperial Library’s data consol.

“Still here Mr. Atride?” Her voice, Han thought was just as annoying as her personality. “You have been in here almost every day now since your first visit. What ever could be occupying so much of your attention?”

So she hadn’t been able to backtrack his user log, good. “As I have already told you, ahh..” Han knew her name quite well, but something about him just wanted to irritate her just as much as he irritated him.

“Lieutenant Tsang.” She prompted.

“Lieutenant Tsang, I am in here researching the finer point of commercial shipping and importation laws, for my employer. In the faint hope that I might be able to find some advantage for him over his competitors.”

“Faint hope?” She began, why couldn’t she just leave? “That comment implies that you don’t hold any confidence in achieving your employer’s objective.”

“Well as you yourself just pointed out, I have been in here a lot lately.” Han began. “As yet, I have failed his wishes. I fear that the longer the search continues, the less likely the chance for success.” He flashed her a charming smile. “However one does as is requested.”

“Well then, I will take up no more of your time,” about time, thought Han “if you require any help, please don’t be shy to ask.” With one final look at Han’s consol, she spun around and began to walk away from him.

Han waited a couple of seconds, before speaking to Artoo. “Good work with deleting our tracks short stuff. Now do you think we could slice our way a little closer to the more sensitive files this time?” Artoo’s domed head swivelled towards Han, and for a moment Han could swear that the little droid just insulted him. Then Artoo’s data socket arm began to manipulate the interface terminal. Han sat back and watched as files, and logins flashed across the screen.

Lando sat in a mid-level bar in the heart of Coruscant’s red light district. He was dressed in his customary stylish blue shirt with his black-gold cloak swung across his shoulders. Sitting next to him was Chewbacca, and opposite from both of them was a very nervous and anxious Ensign. The young man, looked uncomfortable in the surroundings, his head was hung low, his eyes constantly moved from side to side and his lip kept twitching. Though, it was hard for Lando to imagine this poor idiot to be comfortable in any surrounding.

“You said that there was going to be some girls.” He whispered accusingly over the din.

“They must be running a little late,” Lando began “don’t worry though, they will make up for keeping you waiting I am sure.” He leaned in a little closer to the Ensign. “You aren’t nervous are you?”

“What?” The Ensign gasped. “Nervous? Me? Of course not, it’s just that I don’t really know how to talk to girls, and well. Yeah, I guess that’s it.”

Good grief, thought Lando. “Well you just need to know how to impress them. That’s all. You’re in the military right?”

“Imperial Navy.” He specified with pride. “Just saw my first action, and I have some R & R time.”

“Action?” Lando began to press, as he poured the Ensign another drink. “You don’t say? That’s sure to impress the girls I am sure. You know if you tell me a little about it, it might take your mind off things.”

“Well I guess,” he begun hesitantly “you know that big hoo-ha over at Endor?” Lando nodded slightly. “Well I was there! It was an amazing experience.”

“You must have been on the bridge of a Stardestroyer.” Lando knew he wasn’t, but he thought that he might as well pump up his ego a little.

“Well no, not really,” an honest idiot, thought Lando, will miracles never cease? “I was more detention level kind of a guy, but I would make my way to the forward observation stations every now and then.”

“Detention level?” Lando repeated. “Sounds like a lot of responsibility.”

The Ensigns chest puffed out at that. “Well yeah it is, I guess. Do you think the girls would like to hear so much about my work?”

“Sure, I would imagine that they would be fascinated by it.” Lando watched with some pity as the young fool, downed more of the drink that Lando had just poured for him. “I mean that is if you have any good stories about picking up prisoners after the battle.”

The Ensign nodded his head so quickly, that he almost chocked on the last gulp full of drink in his mouth. “Yeah I have a few of those, we managed to pick up some prisoners after the battle.” He paused for a second to look around, then he leaned in closely to whisper to Lando in a conspirator manner. “In fact, our ship had all of them. We were the biggest ship see? And it was trusted with us to haul them back here for questioning.”

Lando also leaned in now. “What were these guys? Smugglers?”

“No, no, no! These were all rebel starfighter pilots! Every single one of them.” A pang of disappointment struck Lando. “They were all in bad shape, so they didn’t actually survive the ride back. Even bacta wouldn’t have helped them – they were mostly dead anyway.”

“Well I can’t see how that is an exciting story.” Lando supplied.

“No. But there were two strange cases. One was nearly mindless – catatonic really. He was never conscience or anything, but he would keep mumbling to himself. Over and over, repeating the same few words. I only saw him once, he was mostly guarded day and night by an entire stormtrooper squad. The other was guy was almost as bad, except that he just sat in the corner of the detention level – he was pretty badly cut up from what I saw.”

“Really?” Lando’s expression showed genuine interest in that. “Were these guys rebel pilots too?”

“Um,” the idiot Ensign began searching his memory “I don’t know. They were both dressed in black uniforms, and didn’t have any flight stuff on them so I don’t really know.”

“Well that is an interesting story, did you get to interrogate them when you arrived back here?”

“Nah, the catatonic guy was still catatonic, still mumbling as my friend told me. And the other guy was deported to down on planet. I think the Imperial Palace’s lower levels. It was actually the second shuttle to leave, the one that had the second guy, after Lord Vader’s.”

Lando gave the idiot a nice smile. “I think those are the girls over there.” He gestured with his hand over the Ensign’s left shoulder. As the Ensign’s head turned around in an effort to spot some girls which weren’t there, Chewie’s massive paw struck it. The idiot’s eye’s rolled up in his head and he collapsed in his seat.

“Let’s get out of here Chewie. I put enough sleeper toxins in that drink of his that I doubt that he will even remember his own name when he wakes up.”

Chewie made a small enquiry, asking Lando if he picked up on something.

“Yes, two males. Wearing black outfits. One of them might be Luke.” Chewie grunted again. “Exactly. Which one?”

Vader swept through the lower hallways of the Imperial palace. His black cloak billowed out behind him, a constant companion. Staff moved out of his way by instinct. His presence alone guaranteed their behaviour, on some primal level they knew when the Dark Lord walked amongst them. Some hid their faces and cowed, others attempted to demonstrate strength a stood straight and at attention. However none would meet his gaze.

Vader paid them no mind, they were not important to him. All that obsessed him now was her. He was filled with thoughts of the amount of times he had been an arms length apart from her, the amount of times he could have reached out and touched her. Vader was obsessed with the thought that all this time, she had been right under his nose, and he hadn’t even felt her presence. Leia.

He kept her name a secret, buried in the deepest recesses of his psyche. The Emperor didn’t know her name yet, only he did. He needed to find her first, to test her. The Emperor may play at games about ‘allowing time for this threat to present its self’ but Vader wasn’t fooled. The Emperor feared her, her potential. He doesn’t want a repeat of what happened with Luke. He had become more powerful than either of them could have guessed. If Leia had half Luke’s strength, she would be a threat to the Emperor himself.

Turning a corner, and gliding down a flight of stairs, Vader found himself in front of the detention level. He was here for answers. Sweeping past the door guards, he made his way to the first cell on his right. In there answers awaited, he had only to ask the right questions. And if that failed he could always just rip the answers out of the prisoner’s head. Coming to a stand still in front of the door, he only had to wait an instant before the guard opened it for him. And there in the corner of the cell, curled up in what was left of his once immaculate black uniform, now torn, ripped and hardened with dried blood matting it down, sat the man who would provide Vader’s answers.

Vader stepped through the door, and as it sealed its self behind him, the guard out side cell number 7823 heard a faint moan, issuing from the poor wretch that Lord Vader had come to question.
Last edited by Crown on 2005-03-04 05:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Chapter 7 - War Council

Mon Mothma walked into the brightly lit council room and took a quick survey of her company. The room was filled with diplomats and military personal alike. The diplomats were seated in rows on her left, each wearing intricate designs and immaculate fabrics, as befitted their stations. Hundreds of Senators and their aids had crammed into the council hall, each representing their home worlds, in the struggle against the Empire. Her eyes flashed across them, registering all the familiar faces, she felt saddened with the two notable absences. For the first time since the founding of the Alliance, the chair for Alderaan was empty. And of course it had been a long while since Corellia was represented.

On her right, the highest ranking of the Alliance military were present. Admiral and Generals of all size and descriptions. Their Alliance uniforms worn with pride, and they all stood at attention out of respect, their eyes following her movements down the stairs to her presiding council seat, at the head of both halves of the council room. She was especially gratified to see Admiral Ackbar give her a slight nod of encouragement, as she took her seat.

Reaching forward she took the ceremonial hammer and gently struck it on the table to bring the council to order. “Welcome, friends. The third seating of the Alliance council is now called to order.” Mon Mothma’s voice, trained and honed through years of diplomatic experience, carried across the hall effortlessly. The gentle din and rumour died down.

“I especially wish to thank all of the diplomats, who taking a great risk to come here for themselves and to their planets.” A smattering of applause greeted her words, as the afore mentioned diplomats acknowledged her kind words. “And of course a warm welcome to the men and women who volunteered to serve, who risk their lives so that the people of the galaxy can breathe in freedom.” Mon Mothma inclined her head to the right of her, and the military representatives responded with a slight bow.

“We have gathered here today in order to assimilate the new evidence that our intelligence networks have collected, and to asses our next course of action.” Mon Mothma turned to her left, “Councillor Borsk Fey’lya.”

A self important Bothan, wearing a purple jacket with his clans crest hanging from a chain around his neck, stood and bowed. “Honoured colleagues, madam chair. My people have been able to spy out the Empire’s next move in our galactic confrontation.” He reached out and touched a panel on the board in front of him, the council lights dimmed as a Holographic display at the centre of the room sprang to life. “Captain Dorian Fike,” he identified the stern looking figure in the Imperial navy uniform. “In command of the Star Destroyer Scourge, currently in favour with Imperial high command for his handling of the Suss uprising.” His words sparked a small torrent of abuse from the diplomatic chairs, directed at the impassive holographic display.

Mon Mothma, tapped the hammer once more to restrain the diplomats, and bring them to order. Fey’lya bowed once in acknowledgement of her help, and then proceeded with his briefing. “It has been learned that this, Captain,’ he almost spat the word in contempt ‘has recently been given command of an entire task force. Including three other Star Destroyers, with other smaller support vessels.” Again reaching down and pressing the button in front of him, and the holographic display shifted to show the size and disposition of the task force. “Captain Fike has been tasked to assault an Alliance planet, as a demonstration of the Empires contempt. The planet has been identified as Mon Cal.”

Conversation once again overtook the Bothan at the conclusion of his sentence, many diplomats shot furtive glances at Admiral Ackbar who sat across the room. To his credit, he sat unblinking and emotionless.

“The chair, thanks councillor Fey’la for his information.” Mon Mothma said as Fey’lya took his seat. “General Madine?” She promted.

On her right, a middle aged man, with a neatly trimmed beard stood up and addressed the council. “We have analysed the information presented to us by councillor Fey’lya, and have reached the same conclusion. The task force does indeed appear to be heading for Mon Cal, although we do have one reservation.”

“Yes, General?” Mon Mothma promted.

“Its size, madame chair. It is too small to be a significant threat to Mon Cal, possibly the most well defended system in the Alliance. It smells of something more.” General Madine paused. “If I may be allowed to speculate?” He asked.

Mon Mothma turned to her left and watched the diplomats, none raised any objections, so she nodded her permission to General Madine to continue.

“Mon Cal is located in what could best be described as ‘navigational limbo’. It is a system that is notoriously hard to find clear hyperspace routes through. And the ones which are easily transverse able have been heavily mined to ensure that only ships which are identified as friendly are allowed to pass. In order for a hostile military enemy force to launch a serious attack upon Mon Cal, it must be far larger than the task force that has just been described.”

“Could another task force also be sent along with the one commanded by Captain Fike?” A councillor from the planet Bossari asked.

“We have no intelligence to suggest this,’ General Madine responded. “However,’ he began as his aide updated the holographic display to show a representation of the space surrounding Mon Cal. “We have a strong reason to believe that they are after a beach head. Here you see Mon Cal, as is evident it is tucked up behind the Tion Cluster, which is currently not under Imperial jurisdiction. On its left is the Cron Drift, and Kessel, both of which represent poor logistical choices for an assault on Mon Cal. Below Mon Cal is Wild Space, so that option is also out. However, lying just off the Perlemian Trade Route is the planet Ossus. And this we believe is the Imperials true target.”

“The inhabitants on the planet are mostly industrialists and miners. People that haven’t really made an impact on the galactic scene, content to just work away. Thus they have avoided any Imperial attention, and are associate members of the miner’s guild. And while they haven’t been actively supporting the Alliance, they are more than willing to sell their produce, which we use primarily for construction of our Mon Cal star cruisers, which as you know is the backbone of our forces.”

“The hyperspace routes between Mon Cal and Ossus are carefully watched and mined, however should the Imperial capture this system, Mon Cal’s shipyards will be made null. As getting raw materials through, will be made more difficult – and that assumes that we could find new sources to sell us the material we need at the quantities that Ossus supplies it. We would basically be left with heavy dependence upon Bothan shipyards for our capital ships, which while excellent – aren’t in the same tonne league as the Mon Cal’s, and add to that we haven’t been able to really use the Bothan ships in fear of a concrete link between the Alliance and the Bothan’s being made.”

General Madine returned to his seat, as Mon Mothma returned her gaze to her left. “The chair recognises the honourable member of Bothawui.” She said as Borsk Fey’lya jumped to his feet.

“I propose to the Council that Ossus must be brought in line with the Alliance. Its material and position are of vital interest to us.” He looked around. “I wish to volunteer myself as chief negotiator, in the hope that I can convince them.”

“Will the Council please vote on Councillor Fey’lya’s proposal?” Mon Mothma asked. The remaining councillors all pressed buttons on their consoles. “The motion is passed, 30 in favour, 7 against and 3 abstains. Councillor Fey’lya you have leave to approach the Ossus ruling families with an offer of Alliance …’ Mon Mothma paused as Admiral Ackbar rose to his feet. “Yes Admiral?”

Admiral Ackbar took in one long breath. “I ask the council to allow me to prepare a task force for the defence of Ossus, on the presumption that Councillor Fey’lya is successful in his negotiations, or a task force to liberate Ossus should the Imperial’s arrive before negotiations are completed.” He finished.

“Councillor Fey’lya?” Prompted Mon Mothma.

Fey’lya inclined his head at Ackbar, ‘I would be honoured.’ He replied.

“Council is called to an end.”

“What do you mean, you couldn’t reach her?” Han stared incredulously at a very uncomfortable Threepio in front of him. “You have been trying all day haven’t you?”
“Of course I have Captain Solo, please don’t de-activate me!” Threepio pleaded. “I haven’t been able to establish any form of contact with her, but I did receive a message from Mistress Winter, saying that she would call again later in the week.” His hands began to flutter and twitch in a nervous manner.

“Well what is that supposed to mean?” Retorted Han. Threepio for his part was too afraid to answer. He was saved the trouble by Lando and Chewbacca arriving back to their apartment.

“Trouble?” asked Lando.

“It’s just goldenrod here hasn’t been able to get a hold of Leia.” Muttered Han in response. “How did you guys go?”

Chewbacca barked a growled at Han, recapping their encounter with the Ensign at the bar as Lando motioned for Threepio to make himself scarce.

“Two of them huh? Well since we have the rough time of transfer between Vader’s ship and surface we should be able to find out where they took one guy. Short stuff here,’ he indicated to Artoo who was busy interfacing with a computer terminal. “Managed to slice his way nicely into the Imperial Library’s mainframe and set up a dummy account. We now have unlimited access to all of Coruscant’s central computers from here. It shouldn’t take him too long to find Luke.” Han finished with a wolfish grin.

“Don’t get too far ahead of yourself you old pirate,’ admonished Lando ‘we still have to figure out a way to get him out even if we do find it.” He paused for a moment. “Do you think that we should send out a message to Mon Mothma or perhaps Ackbar or Madine? You know just to let them know what we have done so far?”

“Are you kidding?” Han asked. “If we tell them what we have done, we’ll be told to sit tight, while they send over some techie who will try and use the dummy account to get deeper into the Imperial mainframe. Remember they all think that Luke is dead. The way I see it, we find him, we get him out and then we tell the others.”

“Aren’t you even a little concerned about the odds stacked against us?” Lando asked.

Chewie barked a response. “You tell him Chewie.” Han greeted his teeth. “Never tell me the odds.” He spun away towards his room and closed the door behind him irritably.

Stunned, Lando turned to Chewbacca. “What did I say?” He asked with honest curiosity. Chewbacca just shook his head and walked into the kitchen, leaving Lando alone with Artoo who’s domed head was swivelled towards him observing him. “Cabin fever.” Lando replied to Artoo. “Were you listening?” Artoo beeped and affirmative. “Well then you know what to do, check flight central for shuttles leaving Vader’s flag ship, and where they landed. Also check any and all holding cells for new tenants.” With nothing else to do, Lando whipped his cloak off his shoulders and strode off towards his room.

Coming out from behind the door way he was hiding, Threepio took a cautious look around. And then seeing that Artoo was left alone in the main room, he shuffled his way towards him. Bending over so that he could whisper softly to Artoo he said; “Between you and me Artoo, sometimes I don’t understand human behaviour.”

Artoo just whistled softly, and then returned his attention to the task at hand.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Any feedback from anyone? Questions, comments?