How do you prefer to write?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

How do you write?

I like to plan the whole thing out in advance
12%
I make it up as I go along
15%
A little bit of both
73%

Total votes: 26

Temjin
Jedi Council Member

How do you prefer to write?

Post by Temjin »

How do you prefer write a story?

Do you like to plan it all in advance with both a plot and chapter outline?

Or do you just wing it? Making it up as you go along with just a general plot in your head?

This question came to me while I was planning a story I'm about to start writing. I'm doing the whole works: plot brainstorming, character brainstorming, personal tech guide, chapter outline, and some other things. But this is just how I prefer to write. This just helps me to keep the story consistant.

I've also seen some great stories done the other way. Personally, I'm horrible at this.

So, how about you?

I'm especially interested in how the more successful writers on this board write.

Edit: I can't fix that spelling error in the poll. Could a mod do it for me?
Last edited by Temjin on 2004-05-28 06:57pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

With prepositions, definitely. :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Fixed...and I tend to wing it.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I tend to do both. I have an outline for the entire store and some of the chapters have an outline. But mostly I just wing it on chapters that are between major events on the main story outline.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
1337n1nj4
Village Idiot

Post by 1337n1nj4 »

I have a basic outline of plot points, how I want it to start and finish; I have characters that start out certain ways and that I want to end up certain ways.

Otherwise, it writes itself accordingly; even the basic outline is fluid, though. If I get into it and something else hits me that will work, it goes in.

So, both :)
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I outline the general plot in my head, but work the details as they come to me.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Like, 90% of the stuff I write is entirely off the top of my head. But I do have a general outline of what the major points of the story are so I can work towards them.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Both.

I start out with the general idea: who, what, why, where (or when). Then i develop the characters until i can get a cradle to the grave view of these people.

I figure out how it will end, and write a start, and then everything in between i make up as i go along, heading towards the ending for each book or story, and eventually the series itself.

It's actually a kinda' quick and easy way to do it, for me anyway.
Kanye West Saves.

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

A little of both, I know how I want the story to flow, how does it lead to some key scenes that are previously worked out, and then I let the story write itself. If I ever manage to finish it, then come the revision phase, that may include major rewritings.

I once tried outlining a story in its entirety, having all characters prefectly fleshed out, but since this way the story was basically written, I lost interestm didn't want to write the in-betweens and fillers. So nowadays, I only use a very basic roadmap, with outlining only for the current chapter I'm engaged in. (This way it has the added benefit of letting one's inspiration come naturally as one writes.)
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Bit of both for me.
Generally I make it up as i go along but sometimes i'll have and idea where the next couple of chapter of going to go.

Take my fanfic for example (link in sig) I just made up the prologue and 1st chapter as i went along but i now know what i'm goint to in Chapters 2&3.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Why isn't "Drunk" one of the options in this poll?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

I plan things out in detail, then as I am writing I have a change of heart and start altering my plans. Quite often, somewhere along the line, I even change my mind about things I've already writen and begin a process of rewriting... by doing so I succeed in mangling my work so badly that it becomes unsalvageable and I then disgard it out of frustration. The above happens all too often. :(
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I like to have a plot outline. That ensures there no confusion or continuty errors
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

I try to do a really light outline. Too deep and I start trying to actually write down actual lines of the story and it gets too messy. And the rest of the way I make it up as I go.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

I've (often) tried to screw plot and just wing it. The result was ... unpleasant.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

A bit of both. Sometimes I make up the end that I want and keep it in mind and try to make the beginning meet the end somehow. Outlines are helpful in some situations, though.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

A bit from side A, and a bit from side B...with a medium helping of RedImp's suggestion.

Usually I have the end and the start fleshed but the middle is a grand mystery until several edits later.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Ghost Rider wrote:A bit from side A, and a bit from side B...with a medium helping of RedImp's suggestion.

Usually I have the end and the start fleshed but the middle is a grand mystery until several edits later.
Heh.. sounds exactly like me, except sometimes it's the middle that I have ready to go and the start and end that I have to figure out...
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There's a general plot, a very general plot. I tend to write it as it goes along, there are certain events I want to put in like a space war and a ground war and other stuff, but the bulk of the things is not pre-planned, the story writes itself but I stick to the general plot so nothing shitty will happen.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Usualy I dont write down the plot outline on paper. I like to keep it in my head and work from there.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.