Blood of Heroes, Part XIV

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Blood of Heroes, Part XIV

Post by Sonnenburg »

An emergency session of the senate had been called, although these days everything seemed an emergency. Leia Organa Solo hadn't slept in two days, trying to keep the Imperial organization running smoothly even in the midst of collapse. Ben Sisko had left a great deal unprepared for his death, and she couldn't help shaking the feeling that it was by design. Had her suspicions been correct, that he had done this to help destroy the Empire? But why? The Vong were far worse than the Empire he had forged during the nearly three decades of his rule. But whatever the reasons, trying to hold off the shattering of the Empire seemed a more and more impossible challenge. Today was going to be the latest effort to resist it, and no doubt the hardest.

"Members of the Imperial Senate," the Chancellor said, "thank you for your attendance. This special session has been called at the request of Minister Solo, who has been handling many of the responsibilities of the Emperor in the wake of his passing. She has requested an audience to discuss a matter of some urgency regarding the war effort. Minister?"

Leia stood up. "Esteemed senators," she said by way of introduction. "As you no doubt know, the so-called 'Vong duplicates' that had been inserted amongst us have been gathered together on the planet Kolyet in the Delta Quadrant of the Milky Way. Their powerful planetary shield has not only made intelligence gathering next to impossible, but it also prevents any possible bombardment by our fleet. What we do know, however, is that the planet has been completely co-opted by the Vong forces there; no one who is not Vong or one of the constructs is present on this world."

"How can you be certain?" Sen. Alixus asked.

"Senator," the Chancellor said, "please hold your comments until the end."

"It is not a comment, it's a question," Alixus replied. "As I suspect the minister's entire proposal is based on that assumption, I'd like to know by what reasoning it was obtained."

"Our scans of the planet do not indicate any other life signs."

"But the shield is very powerful," Alixus pointed out. "Isn't it possible the Vong have relocated the population into underground bunkers to use as hostages, and the sensors can't detect them."

"There is no sign of any such activities."

"But it's possible," Alixus said with emphasis. "It's possible that Imperial citizenry is present on that world."

"Senator," the Chancellor said, "let the minister finish."

Alixus nodded gracefully and Leia continued. "The Vong duplicates existed for one purpose: to gain insight into the operations of government, military, and industrial facilities. Already the Vong forces in this galaxy have used that information to their advantage, and will continue to do so. The Vong communication system is not based on any type of technology we're familiar with, so our efforts at jamming their transmissions have failed. What's more, we have observed the Vong on Kolyet using yorrik coral to grow more ships to support the Vong war effort. In short, this planet poses a real threat to the Imperial war effort, one that is beyond the reach of our conventional forces. We cannot ignore this threat, and our blockade of the world is all but useless. That, regretably, leaves only one viable option: the use of one of our two remaining superlasers."

As expected, the room exploded. Feverish arguments were breaking out even amongst some of the senatorial aides. Leia had known this would be the reaction; it was the reason she'd waited before bringing it forward. But they had no choice, not unless they wanted to let the Vong win this war. After a few minutes the Chancellor's cries for order were heeded, although there was still an undercurrent of hostility throughout the room.

"I am aware of the gravity of the situation," Leia continued. "And believe me when I say that I would never wish this weapon to be used against anyone, even our enemies. I have witnessed its destructive capabilities first-hand," she reminded them. If they had known how long she'd agonized over this choice, they might understand, but her opponent's would probably only think it political rhetoric. "But we are faced with an enemy that wishes to take away our freedom, our very lives, and has the means to do so. Given this choice, necessity demands that we employ this weapon to ensure the survival of our people."

"[When will the weapon be used?]" asked Senator Morah Bindal of Ithoria.

"That is why I am here," Leia said. "To maintain control, especially given Grand Moff Tarkin's abuse of authority with Alderaan, the Emperor laid the proviso that the Superlaser can never be fired without his express permission. This was to keep the final authority out of military hands and help prevent an attempted coup. However, with the Emperor's death the question of procedure remains. He appointed no successor, nor would there be any logical person to step in and assume that role, and I'm not entirely sure its a position we would want to continue. But that is an issue for another time. The matter before us is: where should this authority rest? Placing it in the control of the military high command would negate the purpose of the Imperial authorization."

"It should be placed in our hands," Sen. Alixus said. "To ensure control of these weapons remains in the hands of the citizenry."

"Respectfully, senator," Leia said, "that would be impractical. It would mean providing a lengthy delay between assessing a target and executing the order. Also, it would make these targets a public matter, which would allow our enemies to fortify their positions."

"Or abandon them," Alixus said. "Is that what concerns you, minister? A lower death toll?"

"Would that our enemies shared your compassion, senator," Leia said. "Unfortunately, they view us as inferiors that should either be enslaved or exterminated. We cannot afford to hold back against such an enemy, especially when they show signs of gaining the upper hand over us."

"They are our enemies today," Alixus replied. "And what of tomorrow, when the Vong is no longer a threat to us? Will Qo’nos be next?"

"That is not the same thing," Leia answered.

"No? I read the history of your galaxy, minister. The Empire that you rebelled against, that many of the worlds in this chamber fought against, came into existence because the Republic Senate chose to give total control to the then Chancellor for the immediate crisis. When that crisis ended he instead continued to wield that power and eliminate any representation of the people. Now you are asking the Imperial Senate to grant the same authority to someone with an even more devastating weapon than was in the Chancellor's hands."

"The use of these weapons would remain limited," Leia said. "And we would not turn them against rebellious worlds."

"Who is 'we,' minister?" Alixus asked. "It's you, isn't it? You want us to place this authority in your hands."

"I didn't ask for that-"

"But that is what you're thinking, isn't it? You were closest to the Emperor, you would be the natural choice."

"If the senate feels someone else would be better suited," Leia replied, maintaining her calm demeanor, "then so be it."

"How can we choose anyone to have such authority in these times?!" Alixus demanded. "How do we know who tried to cover up Sebastian Skywalker's crimes? How do we know who helped him escape? Put the Eclipses in the wrong hands and we could soon face an enemy far worse than the Vong could ever be!"

"I understand your concerns, senator," the Chancellor broke in, "but the minister is correct: the senate is ill-suited for such a responsiblity."

"I disagree, chancellor," Alixus replied. "In fact, I submit that the entire process was flawed. Observe the near destruction of Lazeria that came about on order from the Emperor! An Imperial world with 500 million inhabitants, and he was content to destroy it. Ask them whether the procedure is wise."

"The use of these weapons will be reserved solely for extreme circumstances, such as this one," Leia said emphatically. "Already we have revealed to the Vong our intentions to destroy that world; next time this information could allow them to stop us."

"Frankly, minister, stopping the use of these despicable weapons sounds like a blessing."

"They are terrible," Leia conceded, "but they are a last resort for our survival."

"Trust in our technology to save us," Alixus said with a condescending nod. "It's worked so well so far, hasn't it?"

"Senator, we are all aware of your feelings on the subject," the Chancellor said. "And your personal feelings on the issues of technology. Please allow this discussion to continue without further interruption." Alixus nodded again and the discussion continued. It consisted mostly of more subtle versions of Alixus' own questions, which had no doubt been her intent. When the senate adjourned, the Chancellor accompanied Leia out of the chamber. "I think they will support it," he said as reassuringly as he could.

Leia nodded. "But it will take time."

"You are the larger issue," he answered. "Despite what you said in there, you want that authority."

"No, I don't," she said. "But I dare not put it in anyone else's hands. Alixus was right about one thing: Lazeria was a mistake, and not just because we lost an Eclipse. I don't want these weapons turned against our people."

The Chancellor agreed silently as they continued through the building. "You're doing the right thing," he finally said. "If you let them fire without securing approval we'll lose many more systems. I can see how thin our authority is stretched; a sign of securing central power will be taken as a return to the old ways."

"And without the legitimacy of our government," Leia said, "there's nothing stopping the military from assuming control. But still, I hope this doesn't take long; Kolyet must be destroyed as soon as possible."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sebastian limped down the ramp of the Raven and noticed the sheets of rain coming all around the ship. "Nice," he remarked to Gorren as the two raced towards the protection of the docking bay doors, then looked out across the city. It was a drab, muddy affair with buildings designed for its shorter populace. Still Sebastian was surprised, and said so.

"What were you expecting?" Gorren said.

"Well, this is the center of Ferengi civilization," Sebastian said. "I thought it wouldn't be so subdued."

"It's the rain," Gorren said.

"Yeah, but still... I was expecting, I don't know... ancient Las Vegas, only not as tasteful." He shrugged. "Big lights even."

"Bah. A Ferengi would never put out big lights; why let people see for nothing?"

Ferenginar and the Ferengi territories had fallen just like everyone else when the Imperial fleet rolled through the Alpha Quadrant. As always, however, they landed on their feet. Aside of the Imperial taxes, business went on as usual, and as far as Ferengi were concerned, as long as business went on that was all that mattered. This was especially true after the destruction of Deep Space 9, when a visit by Grand Nagus Rom fatally coincided with the Imperial plot to frame the Cardassians. Rom had continued his predecessors reform policies, but the sudden power vacuum had allowed hard-line Ferengi reactionaries to brush them aside and return to the old ways. They quickly forged business agreements with everyone from the Corporate Sector to Black Sun, and profits rolled into Ferenginar so that credits were falling like the unending rain. If it weren't for the insufferable taxes, this would almost be paradise for them.

It was no wonder, then, that Nom Anor had had many business dealings with the Ferengi during his years of preparation. The ISB confirmed it was a Ferengi group that had seized control of the Doctor's mobile emitter, the device which proved responsible for allowing the holographic rebels to perform their operations. It was the reason Han and Bashir had come to this world, on the off chance that some clue to a cure for this disease might be found. The odds were slim, of course; the Ferengi would have seized upon it years ago and use it to make a fortune. But there was always the off chance they didn't know quite what they had that had compelled Han to try. Still, ISB sources had other tracks of Nom Anor here, and Sebastian was prepared to chase down every last one.

“Any experience with the Ferengi?” Sebastian asked.

Gorren answered with another “Bah!” It seemed to sum up the attitude of Klingons towards Ferengi in general. “They robbed us blind selling us weapons,” he said with a grunt. “But they are cowards. But since they know they’re cowards, they are smart enough to make large friends. Nossagins, Trandoshans, we’ll have to be ready for battle if we decide to use force on them.”

“We’ll see… the Ferengi may love credits, but they might not have very strong minds. They might give up information voluntarily.”

“A Ferengi never gives anything up voluntarily,” Gorren spat. “They’d charge you to breathe their air if they thought they could get away with it.”

“Thanks for the reminder.” Sebastian slid on his breathing mask to keep his identity a secret. The Ferengi would be tripping over themselves to turn him in and claim the reward if they knew who he was. Gorren had changed his hairstyle and didn't wear his family crest, a sacrifice Sebastian had appreciated. Now more than ever he needed his Klingon friend at his side, and Gorren was all the more determined to be there despite the revolution on his homeworld. "My Klingon brothers and sisters can handle this revolution without me," he'd told Sebastian, "but only I am here to help recover your lost honor. I go where I am needed."

“Are you sure you are ready?” Gorren asked. “You were badly injured even for a warrior.”

“I don’t have time to wait around to heal,” Sebastian said. “So let’s try not to let this turn violent.”

“I will try,” Gorren said, “but these little orange men get on my nerves.”
--------------------------------------------------------------

On Kolyet, Nom Anor watched the recordings of the senate proceedings. The minister was correct, of course; Vong technology could easily cut through the human’s jamming signal.

Nom Anor cursed himself; how many times had he caught himself using that blasphemous word? Worse, how many times had he used it and not noticed? His time among these inferiors was starting to get to him, and he didn’t like it. And now, he was depending on it for his very existence, and for the preservation of his plan. When he conquered the Empire he would have their engineers and technicians rounded up first and made an example of. Their pollution would be answered for before he was finished cleansing the galaxies.

His anger passed, and he replayed the part of the debate he had missed. Excellent; Alixus was holding up admirably, distorting the picture each time the minister tried to bring it into focus. Such a pathetic display, trying to find an answer to a thousand disagreements that would satisfy all. Didn’t they understand what they were up against? The Vong may have disagreements, but they were always united in their goal. They would take over the galaxy to the glory of their gods and the benefit of the Vong; how was merely details. But here… even without Alixus prodding, many were actually agreeing with her! They refused to use a weapon, not for strategic or tactical reasons, or even issues of supplies or resources. They didn’t want to use it simply because they didn’t like it! Some of these beings were even weaker than Nom Anor had imagined, not to mention stupid. They refused to use the weapon precisely because it did what it was designed to do! With these as their enemy, it was a wonder the Vong had been held back for this long.

Still, this was exactly what Nom Anor needed. The Hive, as he’d come to think of it, had been making progress, but there was still so much more to do. The separate organisms had combined together and merged to form a single, creature the size of a large city. It was essentially a hill of biomatter, with individual sections of it breaking off as needed to perform tasks, such as gathering information out of the planetary archives for absorption into the Hive as a whole. Others would tend to the coralships on other parts of the planet being grown for their escape. Alixus was buying them time, but she couldn’t keep them away forever, and not even this world’s shields could withstand the power of their superlasers. They’d need to keep the Hive off of the planets until the Eclipses could be dealt with. That was one of the improvements Nom Anor had made: the yammosk couldn’t function well when it wasn’t living on a planet. The Hive, however, had more endurance, and like the yammosk, it would be able to control the coralskippers and Fan'cals without requiring Vong warriors. Thanks to the information it had observed, it also would provide better strategic decisions and offer sounder tactical choices than the yammosk. Unfortunately, it lacked the yammosk’s developed mental powers, meaning that it couldn’t improve the battle coordination, or make use of the special beetles that Alixus had provided, but no matter. This was a supplement for the yammosk, not a replacement.

But they would have to live to escape this world first, and the Imperial blockade was going to make that a challenge. A challenge, but not an impossibility, not with what Nom Anor had in mind. And each day delayed only made their success more and more of a certainty.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Simply awsome.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Amazing. Sigh Poor Leia, why do all your characters get so much shit?
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Crazedwraith wrote:Amazing. Sigh Poor Leia, why do all your characters get so much shit?
Allow me to answer that with a quote by David Gerrold, Hugo and Nebula award winning SF author:
David Gerrold wrote:The job of the storyteller is to put the hero up a tree and throw rocks at him. Surround the tree with rabid wolves. Light it on fire. Put a helicopter above with bad guys firing laser-sighted explosive rounds. Have an earthquake. The volcano blows up. Drop an asteroid on the planet. Aliens invade. And the tree has Dutch elm disease.

If you're doing fantasy, put the hero up a tree, surround it with werewolves and put dragons in the sky. And the family curse is turning him into a frog. Meanwhile the dryad who lives in the tree is having her period.... Whatever it takes.
[...]
Because if he doesn't hurt, why should we care?
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Yeah, but... much as I love your stories, that was what originally made me abominate the NJO. The Senate seemed to me like a circus, as impotent as it ever was in the OR. What's more, the spiels of various politicians were frequently written in a way that grated - they were plainly stupid people trying to win other stupid people over to their cause.

The thought that this was what the Rebellion had fought for was nauseating. The idea that political rhetoric can overshadow any possible good deed that the heroes ever made seemed to exemplify everyone of those books, and it was just stupid. That's why I just don't like the Senate - scenes, despite the fact that you write them well. The way they are presented simply reminds me too much of the problems I have with the NJO books.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe