Brainstorming new fanfic Ideas...

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Brainstorming new fanfic Ideas...

Post by Falkenhorst »

I've been thinking alot lately about writing a fanfic about how the federation transforms into a militarist/World War 2 USSR analog during the Dominion War in order to win, and then fights more wars later on in the AQ and Milky Way and possibly crosses with B5 somewhere down the road. What are people's thoughts on this idea? I just need to scare up enough demand to kick me in the ass and get me writing.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Myrmidon
Redshirt

Post by Myrmidon »

Will this be the Federation slipping into totalitarianisim? The USSR was charicterized by huge, inefficient armies, brave and determined but largely unable to manuver, crippled by the party hacks they had in place of their liquidated officer corps. No dictator trusts any officer that is not corrupt.
myrmidon \MUR-muh-don; -dun\, noun:
1. [Capitalized] A member of a warlike Thessalian people who followed Achilles on the expedition against Troy.
2. A loyal follower, especially one who executes orders without question, protest, or pity.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

As long as it has Political Officers, it'll be cool.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I think it would have certain elements of that in the early stages of transition, but I'm thinking more of certain themes that one would recognize from the Stalinist era.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Alexus
Padawan Learner

Post by Alexus »

Damndamndamndamndamn! I just started a fic where the Feds collapse into totalitarianism, and then I remembered this thread. Damn!

:banghead:
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

The thing is, the feds are already subject to a totalitarian form of government, it's just that by and large the masses of their population are blind to it, or have been lulled into not seeing the obvious signs in front of them. You should IM me on AIM and maybe we'll compare notes or something.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I'd read it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Falkenhorst wrote:I think it would have certain elements of that in the early stages of transition, but I'm thinking more of certain themes that one would recognize from the Stalinist era.
Would it be possible to do a parade of ships?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Sounds like a good story line. So would section 31 be the good guys then as they want to protect the federation.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Re: Brainstorming new fanfic Ideas...

Post by CJvR »

Falkenhorst wrote:I've been thinking alot lately about writing a fanfic about how the federation transforms into a militarist/World War 2 USSR analog during the Dominion War in order to win, and then fights more wars later on in the AQ and Milky Way and possibly crosses with B5 somewhere down the road.
Im not sure the USSR in WWII analog would be the best, it was very much a one man(iac) show and the Feds hardly display that characteristic. Perhaps Imperial Germany would be a better analog, the civilian administration basicaly quit and left the running of the nation & war effort to the Generals.
You could also have a military revolt also rather than a communist empire.
SF will be flooded with recruits in it for the fight rather than exploration and the officer corps will be rather traumatized by the carnage caused by the political decissions not to have a dedicated military. Crappy research vessels have time and time again been forced into action against purpose built warships with staggering losses as a result.
If the Feds political leadership try to go back to staus quo with the Breen and hand the Cardassians some consessions it could motivate the militants to take over in order to finish off the Breen and reduce the Cardassians to a client state - setting up clashes with both the Romulans and Klingons in the process.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Gandalf wrote:
Falkenhorst wrote:I think it would have certain elements of that in the early stages of transition, but I'm thinking more of certain themes that one would recognize from the Stalinist era.
Would it be possible to do a parade of ships?
Don't see why not. Just have them line up and fly past a big observation deck on a space station.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.