What do you think makes a good villain?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

What do you think makes a good villain?

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

In literature, what do you think makes a good villain?. In particular, do you think that the audience should see things from a villain's point of view?.

In my experience I tend to root for the villains if things are shown from their viewpoint. I rooted for Duquesne in Skylark, and I rooted for the Kzin in every single Man-Kzin Wars story, regardless of how nasty they were. In both these instances the story is at some point shown from the antagonist's POV.
However, when I read Small Gods, which is told from the point of view of nearly everyone but Vorbis, I rooted for the good guys. This isn't because I don't think Vorbis is a good character, I think he is written very well, and is one of Pratchett's best villains. But I didn't want him to win for some reason.
A lot of people these days seem to like villains more than heroes, but personally I think that if someone is the antagonist then you shouldn't want them to win, otherwise why is the story focussing on the protagonists?.

That's just a few of my ideas on the subject, what do you think?.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Well, in alot of Pratchett, the Heros are often the slightly misguided sort of baddy as well, for example Nobby can considered as a sort of misguided hero, in that he a picker of trifles, and on the other end of the spectrum you have the tulip and Pin, ruthless and until the end have no soul.

I think for an effective Villien, you need have a proper person who can balance it out, you dont want fullout loony, and you dont want the ifiot who spills the beans because he thinks your going to die.

to have a perfect villen, you need someone Human and can be passed in the street (metaphorically) and not be seen to be the right bastard that they are.

You do not need the type who go's "Ah ha ha ha ha! soon Mr Hero, your world will be mine! Unless somone presses THIS button! Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha!"
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Re: What do you think makes a good villain?

Post by Junghalli »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:In my experience I tend to root for the villains if things are shown from their viewpoint. I rooted for Duquesne in Skylark, and I rooted for the Kzin in every single Man-Kzin Wars story, regardless of how nasty they were. In both these instances the story is at some point shown from the antagonist's POV.
That's because, as a writer, you have to have a sort of empathy with someone to write from their point of view. You have to get inside their heads and understand why they do what they do. In the process you-I don't think humanize them is really the right word but there's a kind of respect you have to have for them to imagine yourself in their place. But if you're only looking at them from the good guys point of view then of course its easy to just write them as pure scum or more-or-less evil incarnate.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

For me, a really well-written villain is someone whose viewpoint you completely understand ... someone who is not a villain in their own eyes at all, but whose actions qualify as evil when objectively viewed. You should understand why they act the way they do, even if you completely disagree with what they choose to do.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Asdeed
Padawan Learner

Post by Asdeed »

I think the best villains are the ones who 'almost' have all the makings of a hero. But at some point they went tragically wrong, like Dr. Doom and the lab accident that disfigured him and skewed his perspective towards villainy.

Okay so maybe I was just reading a Fantastic Four comic, it's still true dangit!!! :lol:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I like villians that are evil realistic way and are not evil they because they're "bad" guys.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Goatees and strong lungs for the laughing.
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Crazedwraith wrote:Goatees and strong lungs for the laughing.

'nuff said
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Since someone else has already said what I was going to say:
Swivel chairs.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.