nBSG and Firefly crossover

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

DrMckay
Jedi Master

nBSG and Firefly crossover

Post by DrMckay »

Hi all, my 2nd post.

I am considering beginning an nBSG and Firefly crossover fanfic any suggestions on how to plan/set up story, and if I want to put it here, do I just post it or am I required to submit it to someone prior to posting?

Thank you
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

You can post your story whenever you like, you don't have to submit it to anyone.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

ok, thanks
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: nBSG and Firefly crossover

Post by Knife »

DrMckay wrote:Hi all, my 2nd post.

I am considering beginning an nBSG and Firefly crossover fanfic any suggestions on how to plan/set up story, and if I want to put it here, do I just post it or am I required to submit it to someone prior to posting?

Thank you
I would suggest typing out an outline so you know where the story is going. It does tend to help with............well with writers block if you've already figured out the basic arc of the story.

Also, I'd suggest you have a few chapters in reserve before you post one, keep a chapter ahead, if you will.

As for plot lines; opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

yeah, I MIGHT try doing it, starting a rough draft for the first draft this week or next, and posting when I finish the chapter, and assuming my schoolwork does not get too overwhelming

I am planning on having it begin during Firefly's "out of Gas" and after nBSG's "the Captain's Hand" sound ok???

Final Question: is it ok to use some lines and or plot points from Firefly, in order to start the story??

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have.

Thank you
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Comando293
Padawan Learner

Post by Comando293 »

Dude, its YOUR fanfic, it is your call to make.

It sounds cool.
Avatar courtesy of Alan Bolte and Glimmervoid
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

ok, so no copyright issues. fair domain. Awsome!!
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Bill_Dunaway
Redshirt

Post by Bill_Dunaway »

These two universes could make for an interesting crossover since both show humanity in a less than positive light. Most crossover stories tend to show everyone being a little too nice to each other.

I am curious about using Out of Gas as the date for Firefly. I don't see how Serenity's crew could continue being under the radar if they were involved in such a major development. Even if their involvement is minimal, discovery of a long lost branch of humanity and the Cylons that are hunting them is going to cause huge changes to the worlds of the Alliance. Personally, I would think after the movie would be a better choice but it's ultimately your story.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Actually I want The Alliance to be in absolute, untainted power. I feel the moral dilema will be interesting see if Roslin decides to ally with the oppressive Alliance regime in order to gain military parity with the Cylons, and compromises her principles in order to do so. As to the movie, there may be carachters from the movie and the show popping up ie: The OPerative, Nandi, (she hasnt been killed off yet,) etc. Keep in mind this is a preliminary brainnstorm and may not actually "go to print" HOWEVER, I will try my best to ensure it does.

Also I promise to keep the technobabble to a minimum.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Bill_Dunaway
Redshirt

Post by Bill_Dunaway »

DrMckay wrote:Actually I want The Alliance to be in absolute, untainted power. I feel the moral dilema will be interesting see if Roslin decides to ally with the oppressive Alliance regime in order to gain military parity with the Cylons, and compromises her principles in order to do so. As to the movie, there may be carachters from the movie and the show popping up ie: The OPerative, Nandi, (she hasnt been killed off yet,) etc. Keep in mind this is a preliminary brainnstorm and may not actually "go to print" HOWEVER, I will try my best to ensure it does.

Also I promise to keep the technobabble to a minimum.
That's an interesting idea. The Cylons are such a threat to the human race that even Mal might be forced to admit the Alliance was in the right. It will be AU but then technically crossovers usually are.

One thing you should keep in mind is that neither universe seems to have a universal translator and the Colonials certainly won't understand English although their native language might be some variant of Greek. Perhaps River and/or Simon knows this language.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

ok, I just started the first chapter. With this as my first fanfic, I haddnt taken the language barrier into account, so thank you. however, it is not as big a deal in this story, as it might take some of the focus awway from carachters. The Firefly universe is polyglot/multilingual enough to adapt quickly, so there will not be problems beyond the occasional misspoken word, etc. good point about Simon and River. I will probably include that.

"Further updates-as I write them)
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

DrMckay wrote:ok, I just started the first chapter. With this as my first fanfic, I haddnt taken the language barrier into account, so thank you. however, it is not as big a deal in this story, as it might take some of the focus awway from carachters. The Firefly universe is polyglot/multilingual enough to adapt quickly, so there will not be problems beyond the occasional misspoken word, etc. good point about Simon and River. I will probably include that.

"Further updates-as I write them)
Quit bullshitting and crap out a chapter...............
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I will at least post somethng by this friday, aorry, am working on SAT prep and a ton of school projects right now.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Well, Here goes guys and gals, tell me what you think...

nBSG and Firefly Crossover: “Breaking Point”

Ch 1: Transit.

RAG-TAG FLEET, IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE EVENTS OF THE CAPTAIN”S HAND

“Jump complete.”
As the ungainly, solid Raptor appeared near the fleet, Lt. Don “Shadow” Koss keyed his mike:
“Pegasus control, this is Raptor Flight 417 requesting landing clearance.”
The response came almost immediately,
“Raptor 415, Pegasus control, you are cleared for starboard flight pod, checkers are green, you have the ball…”
“acknowledged, Pegasus control…” Koss switched off changed to the in-cockpit frequency and grumbled; “Ladies and gentlemen please return your tray tables into an upright and locked position and prepare for another exciting, MANUAL landing, courtesy of Admiral Adama-”
“twenty-six” proclaimed his ECO, Lt. j.g. Lena “Nails” Sendi
“what, you’re still counting?”
“I’m gonna keep counting until you stop bitching- Sir”

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA CIC, TWENTY MINUTES LATER

“Admiral, all ships secure, all FTL drives spun up and ready. Jumping in five minutes.”
The lean, weathered man at the center of the human anthill nodded, said, “very well, Mr. Gaeta,” and the fleet prepared for yet another step farther from home.
As he approached the communications console he asked P.O. Dualla, “hey,Dee, what’s the word on the next system, anything exciting?”
Dualla checked her console. “Uh, the Raptor off Pegasus didn’t find much, just more space. Should be quiet this time.”
“ok, thanks.”

In the twenty seconds the exchange took, the background radiation in the nebula began climbing, doubling, every minute or so. The radiation was entered into the sensor logs but not yet potent enough to trigger the radiological alarm…

As Gaeta was counting down the final seconds of the jump, the alarm went off, startling everyone concerned and prompting the last pre-jump thought of the entire CIC: good riddance.

The Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus, along with the rest of the rag-tag fleet jumped. But not to the coordinates scouted by Raptor Flight 417.

SERENITY, IMMEDIATLEY AFTER THE EVENTS OF “OUT OF GAS”

Everything was back to normal. Well, as normal as things got on this boat, anyhow, thought Captain Malcolm Reynolds as he relaxed into the rarely-used copilot’s seat on the bridge of Serenity, stomach twingeing a bit from the bullet wound the Doc had fixed. They were back on course for Greenleaf and had their connection to the Cortex back up. Everything was going just fine. This worried Mal a bit, as things rarely went “just fine” for long.

As if in answer to his answer to his thought, the space a kilometer in front of him flashed, and approximately fifty ships appeared. The radar lit up and started beeping. Mal punched the shipwide intercom and yelled into it,
“Zoe, Wash, Get the hell up here!”
Mal also activated the communications array, his instincts in full gear and, in an earnest voice broadcast,
“This is Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Serenity, you folks need some assistance?
As he stared at the ships, two stood out. They were the largest, most deadly-looking, and they were launching something. Several somethings actually. As Zoe and Wash ran up to the bridge, Mal leaned back in his chair, he was thinking, I really hope I these guys are friendly.

In addition to Wash and Zoe, Simon and River Tam showed up on the bridge as well.
Mal shot a glare at Simon, who replied with “She wanted to see this. I couldn’t stop her if I wanted to.”
As Wash slid into his chair, (the one with the plastic dinos around it,) Zoe peered out the bridge canopy and gave the just-appeared fleet a thorough inspection: “they don’t look like Reavers, nor Alliance, sir.”
“Yeah,” Wash added, “whatever they are, on the their reactor containment isn’t giving off any excess, and no ID yet”
“Did you get any response, sir,” Zoe asked.
“Nah, nothing yet.”

The smaller craft which had launched from the larger ones vectored closer to Serenity and then stopped. On closer inspection, they appeared to be small one-man fighters three-winged ships of two types, one type colored red with white stripes, and the other more curved with a blue color. The aesthetics of the fighters did not immediately concern Mal. The fact that all of the ships had cannons mounted n the wings, however, did.
“What are they waiting for?” he wondered.

Just then, the radio crackled, and then resolved into words, of a deep and confident pitch, but not immediately understood to most of those now on the bridge of Serenity.

Except River.

She was staring off into space and then stated in a completely even tone, “Their odyssey is done.” She then whirled and strode over to Mal’s console and began typing at a furious rate. On the screen, Mal saw pages from the cortex appearing with titles like The Iliad, Oedipus at Colouns, and the Dulares Book of Greek Myths. Titles he had barely remembered, ones he had only seen before in the schoolroom of Shadow, the month his mother taught him about the Greek myths.

River then activated a teaching and translation program, on the cortex, one that helps to teach the English or Mandarin so essential in the ‘verse to isolated planets in the boonies, the ones that don’t have the will or the time to teach their kids English or Mandarin, (whichever one they don’t speak.) River activates the Greek section of the translation program, seldom used except on backwaters like New Athens or Sparta reborn. All in under fifteen seconds.

She gave Mal a soft stare, and said, “Tell them again. Slowly.”
Mal, complied and repeated his greeting.

The static cleared, and the deep, stern voice returned, this time, in English:

“Captain Reynolds… This is Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica. We would like to extend an invitation aboard, provided you pass our inspections. We will be armed. Adama out.”
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

more to come, but I'm not sure when
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

um, abit short... Theres kinda a plot, but could stand to flesh the actions out a bit more for a first chapter...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

It's fine as a prologue, but for chapter one, you better do a LOT of writing so the universes will fit well together.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Comando293
Padawan Learner

Post by Comando293 »

I agree with Sidwinder. It is an excellent start, but needs more length to be considered a chapter.
Avatar courtesy of Alan Bolte and Glimmervoid
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I am going to be writing in short bursts, and will TRY to get something out every week or so
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

new update here on a coupla days. sry about the holdup.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Chapter 2: Meetings

Mal got his crew together at the dining table for one of those meetings where everyone had a say, and then Mal chose an option that they presented him with, or one he thought up. It was rarely the best choice, and was usually the least stupid. Therefore, Jayne’s ideas rarely made it past the first stage in the decision-making process. to wrapping up a brief explanation, and adding the opinion; “…so, I told them we’d come over in twenty minutes. Enough time to run, or dock with them, but it seems to me if we stick around and keep our cool, we stand to gain from this- ”
“Gain what exactly?” Queried Jayne, “from what you say, these folks seem a mite twitchy to do business with, and if there not even from around here, it ain’t exactly like they’ll have any cashy money or decent goods we can get from ‘em if we help. I say we run.”

“Where, exactly do you intend to run TO? In case you missed the beginning part of my little lecture, they appeared out there in a flash. Whatever type of drive they got, its obviously faster than us, and all those fighters have guns, and I’ll lay even money that those Battle-thingies have even bigger guns, and the people on ‘em seem jumpy enough to se them if we bolt. I say we sit down, have ourselves a calm little palaver with these folks and try to set us up a business relationship with them. Besides, I bet Kaylee’s gonna jump at the chance to take a gander at their engine rooms.”

Kaylee grinned, and chirped, “Oh, that’d be shiny cap’n! Can you set that as part of the deal with them?”
Mal grinned, you couldn’t help but be cheerful around her, “well, now it’s you, me, Wash, and Zoë. What do the rest of you think?”

Shepard Book raised a hand and spoke; “Well, I never though that I’d have the chance to make history. This should be a unique experience.”

Mal stared at Simon and River. “Now, while it would be bad for her to go nuts on us at a wrong time- ”

“She is the only translator you have if something goes wrong with the cortex upling, so of course she will be going.” Interrupted Simon. “And so will I.”

River said lucidly, “I’ll be good. However I will make no allowance for any bad behavior on their part.”

“fair enough.” Mal turned to Inara. “and you?”

“well, I suppose aside from the Shepard, I have the best manners of the lot of you. I volunteer to be the ambassador.” Mal raised an eyebrow and was about to speak when she continued with a semi-mock glare. “Someone has to give a good first impression. MAL.”
“of good taste, and respectability, not likely.” Mal riposted

Zoë rolled her eyes, “Ok, enough arguing, Its settled. We all go aboard Galactica except Jayne, who misses getting to look at all the new kinds of guns they’ll be pointing at us.”

“Fine by me.” he rumbled.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PORT HANGAR BAY

Admiral Adama, Colonel Tigh, President Roslin, and a squad of Marines were the only ones on the deck at present. Baltar was being kept in the dark about the discovery until they needed his scientific expertise. As they watched the extendable airlock attach to bottom front of the odd looking ship, Saul Tigh stared at the ship with an expression of bemused disgust, mumbling, “well, I hope the crew is better looking than that piece-of-crap ship.”
Roslin smiled. “I don’t care if they’re blue, green or polka-dot if they can tell us where Earth is.”
Tigh turned bright red. “Oh. You heard me. Sorry Ma’am.”
“It’s quite all right Colonel. As a matter of fact, I agree with you. Just don’t tell the captain.”
“will do”
The airlock pressurized, the light near the door handle turning form red to green. Adama hit the communications button, and said: “Reynolds, I have a squad of Marines standing outside this door. They are armed. You had better not be.”

After hearing some murmuring and several thumps, Adama opened the airlock door to find eight people and a diverse arsenal of weapons on the floor.

A brown-haired man in his mid-thirties with a look of authority smiled and stepped forward. In his hand he held several small headphones similar to the one in his own ear. He spoke in a language unfamiliar to Adama, until a wafish young girl stepped forward and said in halting tones,
“Put this on, it is a direct connection to our translation program. Then you can talk to all of us.”
Adama’s grew instantly suspicious at the words connection and program, but, acting on his gut, he took a pair of headphones, passing a set to Roslin and Tigh also.
As he put on the headphones, the brown-haired man began to speak: “Admiral Adama, I presume?” extending a hand, “Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Serenity. But you can call me Mal.”
Adama smiled. This man reminded him of some of the more successful used car dealers near the Riverwalk Market back on Caprica. The ones who sold good cars, true, but for more than they were worth. “Captain Reynolds, er, Mal, This is the President of the Twelve Colonies, Laura Roslin…”

“Pleasure to meet you, Captain,” she said, smiling warmly as they shook hands.

“…and Galactica’s executive officer, Colonel Saul Tigh

Tigh managed to choke out: “interesting ship” but was clearly holding back.

“Oh,” said Mal. “Serenity may not look like much, but she gets us where we need to go, er most of the time.”

Adama stared at Mal and asked; “Do you come from Earth, or do you know where it is.”

Mal responded: “sure, this won’t take but a moment:

"Here's how it is: Earth got used up, so we terraformed a whole new galaxy of Earths, some rich and flush with new technologies, some not so much. Central Planets, them as formed the Alliance, waged war to bring everyone under their rule; a few idiots tried to fight it, among them myself. After the war, I bought Serenity. She's a transport ship, Firefly class. Got a good crew: fighters, pilot, mechanic. We even picked up a preacher for some reason,” (Nodding at each crew member in turn,) and a bona fide companion. There's a doctor, too, took his genius sister outta some Alliance camp, where they screwed with her brain. so they're keeping a low profile. River’s a little loopy sometimes, but she can read people like a book.

After the rest of the crew was introduced, with amusement at the Jayne “Mr. Public Relations” Cobb’s decision to remain aboard Serenity, surprise at Inara’s occupation, and the fact that the Shepard only worshiped one god. Mal looked Roslin in the eye and queried:

“You mentioned something about twelve colonies, Ma’am; care to go into more detail about that?”

“Certainly,” she replied, “let us move to the briefing room. Come along ladies and gentlemen.”

“no offense ma’am,” said Zoë as she was walking past, but you sure remind me of my third-grade teacher.”

Roslin smiled over Tigh’s muffled laughter. “None taken, Minister of Education and schoolteacher were my prior occupations.”

When they reached the briefing room, Roslin said; take a seat. We will try to give you the short version of why we are here. We don’t quite know the “how” yet.

The crew of Serenity (minus Jayne,) sat down and listened to two hours of brief Colonial history, the journey of the rag-tag fleet, and their burning desire to find a thirteenth colony called Earth.

Roslin concluded the epic telling by saying; “one planet with humans would have been wonderful news, several hundred inhabited or inhabitable planets are far better than what I had hoped for. Thank you, Captain Reynolds.”

A Marine noncom entered the room, and told the group: “Doctor Baltar wants to see you, sir, Madam President, shall I tell him you’re busy?”

“No.” said Roslin. “Send him in. Now it is time for the scientific explanation of how we got here.”

The first thing Gaius Baltar saw when he entered the room were Adama, Tigh, and eight people he had never seen before, including four women, two of whom suited his tastes rather well. Before he could begin his suave, intellectual explanation, which he had just pulled out of his ass, the youngest woman, more of a girl, really, walked up to him with a blank look on her face. Then, faster then he could react, River Tam slammed a booted foot squarely into his groin, then spun and kicked him in the stomachThe first, last, and only thing Gaius Baltar heard from that mysterious girl before slumping onto the deck in horrible pain and even worse, public humiliation, was the word “traitor.” Spoken softly.

Rather than help him, the Marines, Adama, Tigh, and Roslin burst into laughter. The only thought going through their minds was: He had it coming.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

well, waddya think?
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Bill_Dunaway
Redshirt

Post by Bill_Dunaway »

I thought River's telepathic abilties would come in useful. Roslin and Adama will be skeptical at first, but I'm sure she can give them a convincing demonstration. Will they use her to read Sharon's mind to find out who the biolons are or at least what they look like?
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

thanks, any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
AO3 Link | FFN Link
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

To be honest, Mal shouldn't have said what he said. I know you copy-pasted the opening monologue over the credits, but Mal plays his cards VERY close to the chest, even when he's outmatched.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage