Mary-Sue Test

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Mary-Sue Test

Post by Rogue 9 »

I know tests usually go in Testing, but I think this might be of more utility to the authors here than the run-of-the-mill "which X are you" online test, so I'm putting it here.

The Mary-Sue Test, used for testing whether or not any given original character is a Mary-Sue. For starters, I put Gilchrist (of Shades of Eire) and Gaheris (appearing in Look What I Found Under a Rock and soon to appear in And Justice for None and my second fic that's still in the works, Trollbane) through the test and got 9 and 29, respectively. My thought is to share our characters' scores and maybe help each other out a bit. (Gaheris mainly got so high because I like the character and said so on the test.)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

This has been posted in here and elsewhere many times.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Indeed, been posted before. Though, just out of curiosity, I answered it for the pilot character in my last SW fic (the only reeally original one there) and I got a twenty. I'd expected more (what with being one of the best pilots in the galaxy {though nowhere near as good as Anakin, mind} and all). 8)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Hmmmm Allan Whitcomb (from my Azhistan stories) scored a 37 in this test, definately Mary Sue, but then again he's meant to be a Victorian Action Hero so it comes with the territory.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Some of the points are hard to weigh. Does "beloved dying in character's arms" mean literally, or is simply witnessing such an event count?

Sebastian weighs in at about 26-29. There should be a significant point reversal for having "Would seriously like to fuck the character's mother" there.
Chuck

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Ouch. I scored a 61. At least I don't write stories anymore.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Major Truul, one of the only major original characters of The Rift, scored a twenty. Pretty good, althought I expected as much.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I'm disturbed that the character in my story can range from either 55 to 68 depending entirely on whether or not I give a shit about his eyes.

I can also justify every single time I clicked a checkbox. Then again, it's a litmus test. It does not care if I can justify and answer or not.

Then again, I expected about this much. The character's been to long lasting in my mind to actually not be a Mary Sue, but I'm working with him to the best oif my ability.

EDIT: Oh, and I like this version of the litmus test because it uses javascript to tally it's totals.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ha ha ha, when you're writing fantasy stories about the leaders of two rival kingdoms, you get some higher scores... :wink:. From 30-68 for the ones I tested. Oh well :P.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

David Emmison scored but a 17. Which isn't too bad until you take into account that I'm deliberately trying to have him be close to me in several major ways. I don't think that test is labeled right. It shouldn't be the Mary Sue test, it should be the wanked-character test.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

My STGOD character scored a 90. Hah. Johan Ragle is officially an irredemable Mary Sue :P
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Darkdrium
Padawan Learner

Post by Darkdrium »

Hmmm, Alex Karanas has scored a solid 15.
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

On this test I scored an 88.

Much better than the scores I got on the two tests in the Generic Mary Sue Litmus Test thread.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

Mur'Phon from Firewarrior's guide got a total of 22 points. Which is INCREDIBLY low compared to what I'd expect from the over the top situations he has to survive. I guess raw capability doesn't count for that much.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

I got -7 for Mike Richards from Last Man Dying.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The list of powers and abilities kill my characters.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Darth Raptor wrote:The list of powers and abilities kill my characters.
Ditto, which I think is unfair. I think that personality is much more of an important factor in defining what is and is not a Mary Sue. A wanked character is, in my opinion, an entirely different species than a real "Mary Sue".
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

Hm, my original character, Josh Hansen, scored a 43. I worked the hardest on him to make him a believable character. However, the main villian, who has nearly an identical past and description, got a 24.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Heh. Actually, I decided to do this for most of my characters (for shits and giggles, as it were.)

Nozoma actually ended up with a -3. Aww, my well-meaning, sweet, stupid loser gets a low score! Whee!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Ditto as Raptor said.

But danng, my character got 95. :lol:
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ah, good-- the only character I really worried about as a Mary-Sue has scored a 14. I'll check a few of my others.

If this has been posted so many times before, it may be beacuse it is a useful resouirce. It could be sticky-worthy within this forum.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

STGOD-ish*: Emperor Nouishicho Id Akeq'Akal'Nirtiro (the second Emperess/or and first male Emperor of the Khar) is my stereotypical Khar Emperor and thus the Epitome of his people. He has a Score of 50.

However, that really doesn't apply in this case, IMO (yay for defending mary sues). Since he is the Emperor of his people he gets a shitload of fake points like wings when he's the ruler of a race of bird people and "popularity points" because he's widely known for several things and such.

Or it could just be that he's the Kahless of the Khar's wank dreams of warrior-nobility. :P

*Emperor Akal'Nirtiro doesn't actually appear, since during the current time period he would be approximately a thousand years old and quite dead. But he is probably the Khar ideal- fanatically xenophobic and incapable of dealing with concepts that violate his worldview, of course, but posessing a machaivellian cunning and knowledge of the art of rulership and warfare. Also, he knows Kung-Fu. Always a plus. :wink:
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

STGOD: Vice-Grand Admiral Asdvadz scored a 58.

A better executed (too much enphasis on superpowers in this one) test would have made him score higher. He is is basically me. Exept that he: has no concience, is a military genious, a brilliant musical composer (when inspired, anyway), a bit insane, and has a penchant for getting away with anything. He also has a totally awesome appearance.

A funny thing about the test were the questions: "Can kill people with bare hands?", "Has photographic memory?", "Has enhanced strength and/or speed?" Yes, but so do approx. 30 billion other people in the Rebublic. Synthetic bodies ftw. (I checked-off that the abilities were common in-universe).
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Looking over the litmus test again, I have to wonder about a few of the questions...

Does a title (the only proper method of refrence to him besides "Leader of that group of Shivan") count as a nickname?

If his entire body changes to both reflect his opinion of himself and any necessitices of the enviornment, and he has a really shit past, wouldn't his eyes thus reflect depths of emotion and/or sorrow?

Does torture count as physical or emotional abuse?

Does being the evil regime count as working for the evil regime?

By "earthly historical event", does that mean a historical event one Earth?

What do you guys think?
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Singular Quartet wrote:Looking over the litmus test again, I have to wonder about a few of the questions...

Does a title (the only proper method of refrence to him besides "Leader of that group of Shivan") count as a nickname?
No, that's, as you said, merely a title, just like Mr. or Miss.
If his entire body changes to both reflect his opinion of himself and any necessitices of the enviornment, and he has a really shit past, wouldn't his eyes thus reflect depths of emotion and/or sorrow?
Yes. That's why I had to mark Kamina (a character of mine) as having eyes that reflect her occasionally sad emotional state, even though her entire body does as well --like a cuttlefish.
Does torture count as physical or emotional abuse?
Can't see how it could be anything but....
Does being the evil regime count as working for the evil regime?
Yeah. If you're self-employed in business you're still a businessman.

By "earthly historical event", does that mean a historical event one Earth?
No.

earth·ly Audio pronunciation of "earthly" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ûrthl)
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of this earth.
a. Terrestrial; not heavenly or divine: earthly existence.
b. Worldly: earthly delights; one's earthly possessions.

That's my guess on those.