So, overall...do people actuall LIKE BTech?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

So, overall...do people actuall LIKE BTech?

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Well?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I have no feelings one way or the other.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Hotfoot

Re: So, overall...do people actuall LIKE BTech?

Post by Hotfoot »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:Well?
Like? Yes. MW2 and MW2 Mercs are perhaps amongst my favorite games of all time. I've read and enjoyed many of the numerous novels, and I have almost all of the technical manuals. I do, however, have my complaints. I also try to hold a realistic point of view as to BTech's technological capabilities.

In all, my largest complaint has to do with the rules system. It's bloated and unwieldy. More suited for a computer simulation than a tabletop game with human computators.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Certainly. I own a few tech manuals, rare minis, normal minis, a few other source books, and game boards. Mech 2: Merc, and Mech 3 are some of my favorite games. I just hate the fact that neither include melee fighting.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I liked the novel alots and have the 3025 technical readout
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

I work for the company, so I'm biased :wink:

But yeah, I love BattleTech. Its loads of fun, and way cheaper to get into than some of the competitors.
Banzai!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I like it. I enjoyed MW2, as well as Ghost Bear's Legacy.
JADAFETWA
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Darik Sdair wrote:

But yeah, I love BattleTech. Its loads of fun, and way cheaper to get into than some of the competitors.
Wizkids?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I don't care for the Clans much but overall it's okay.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MW2 and 4 where pretty good. The only novel I read I disliked.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

Hotfoot wrote:
Darik Sdair wrote:

Wizkids?
Fantasy Productions, the Classic BattleTech guys. I'm an independant contractor for them; do stuff like organize demos and playtest new product.
Banzai!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Darik Sdair wrote:
Hotfoot wrote:
Darik Sdair wrote:I work for the company, so I'm biased :wink:

Wizkids?
Fantasy Productions, the Classic BattleTech guys. I'm an independant contractor for them; do stuff like organize demos and playtest new product.
Ah, okay. Fair enough then.
The Realm of Confusion
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

*points to BTech book collection, including all of Stackpole's novels, the Warriors of Kerensky and Shattered Sphere sourcebooks, and nine out of ten Field Manuals*

That should answer your question.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Steve: you forgot to point to your sig.

I've never read the books or played the orgional game, but i've played the com games and i like 'em. I especially like the MechCommander games more than the Mechwarrior games.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

I think its pretty cool. I never read any of the novels but I enjoyed Mechwarrior 2 and 4 quite a bit.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Stormtrooper THX-1138
Youngling

Post by Stormtrooper THX-1138 »

I loved tabletop battletech (this was back in the day before the computer game series), although we always used mniatures and crafted our own terrain. Its amazing the landscapes you can build using two 4x8 sawhorse tables and some styrofoam terrain pieces.
"Look, Sir ! Droids !"
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I l;ooked on the 'net and found a brillint site for making terrain. I was looking for terrain making tips for WH40K but if you scale up Btech homemade terrain you can get some good stuff. I especially ;like the modular hex idea.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Its a nice game, but lousy for winning sci-fi debates.