Two
55%
Three
21%
Four
5%
Five
No votes
I'm the Pope, and know over five languages.
6%
I'm American, and can only speak English.
13%

Total votes: 84

YT300000
Sith'ari

How many languages do you know?

Post by YT300000 »

Basically another tedious SDN demographic poll. By know, I mean you can read/write/speak pretty good, but you aren't necessarily fluent. That way, you can still count a language you haven't used in a couple years.

I know 3: English (duh), Polish and French (which is still a little iffy).
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Does Latin count?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Why wouldn't it?

I know three: English (native), German (basic, grammar okay but vocabulary is terrible), and Japanese (can recognise some stuff and read some katakana/hiragana).
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I am anative english speaker, and also speak German. I am working on learning Latin in my spare time.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

One and a half; I rounded up. My Latin's a little too rusty to use conversationally anymore.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I speak German well enough to order food or find the bathroom.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Post by GoldenFalcon »

I'd say three, but Broken English doesn't count as a language...

So, English and Spanish, but my Spanish is very rusty. :?
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Three: English, Tagalog(Filipino), and Spanish
DeadM
Padawan Learner

Post by DeadM »

English and Norwegian, but I can understand Swedish and Danish(since they are extremely similar to Norwegian, except spoken Danish, which, IMO sounds very different from spoken Swedish and Norwegian) and most Swedish and Danish people would probably understand Norwegian.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Isn't that because Norwegian and Swedish are technically the same language?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

English, enough French to survive in France, and maybe a few words in German.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

2 and 1/1000000. English, French (reasonable level considering i'm american and in 9th grade :) ) and various spanish, polish and russian words.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I speak Russian and English fluently (as you may have noticed. :wink: ). I also know some French from HS, although I've forgotten most of it. Basically, I can undrestand most things that are written in French, and can form some basic sentences, but don't expect any feats of linguistics from me.

My friend's parents are professional linguists and they know 11 languages. :shock:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Parce-que tu te touches a soir.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I know English (very well, thanks to prolific reading), Vietnamese (can't write in my own native language, how pathetic), and barely know Spanish.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Darth_Fin
Redshirt

Post by Darth_Fin »

I know spanish, english and currently studying japanese.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I know dozens of languages.
Chinese,Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, several varaitions of English, Tagalog, Esperanto, Japanese, Dutch, Belgian, Polish, Hungarian...
I'm reasonably certain they're talking languages You can actually speak, Master Bruce...
Oh. :oops:
In that case, I'm afraid I'm limited to german and english.
I was middlin' competent in Latin until I no longer needed to (i.e. when I finished school)...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

English and Spanish, although I know basic French, Polish and Hebrew as well. Only voted for 2 though (didn't cheat), because I'd have a hard time holding a conversation in the last three.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

English and Japanese.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

I have a native proficiency with English, and was also raised with Mandarin Chinese. Unfortunately, my Chinese has deteriorated quite a bit, and while I can speak and understand it just fine, reading and writing becomes a little more challenging.

I'm also a second year student of Japanese, so that's about 2.5 languages. I rounded up :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Okay, I'm officially depressed.

Is there anybody here who doesn't know more than 1 foreign language?

:oops:
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Zaia wrote:English and Spanish, although I know basic French, Polish and Hebrew as well. Only voted for 2 though (didn't cheat), because I'd have a hard time holding a conversation in the last three.
Alle rozumiesz je dobrze?
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Fluent English, intermediate Spanish, very basic German.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

YT300000 wrote:Alle rozumiesz je dobrze?
Er...something something good?

I suck. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

A little bit of Spanish, some latin(yeah it's dead), English, and Korean.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete