Two
55%
Three
21%
Four
5%
Five
No votes
I'm the Pope, and know over five languages.
6%
I'm American, and can only speak English.
13%

Total votes: 84

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I've never gotten why people ask stuff to others in languages they say they know. Some kind of test? Don't believe them?

Hm... :|
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I know English and took 12 years of French (mostly at a private school), to where I could hear a conversation and understand, but I couldn't speak it nearly so fast, although I could form and speak very complex sentences. I haven't spoken any french for 6 years, but I did get to eaves-drop on a dirty conversation in French at a party recently, so that's good.

In college i took enough Japanese to be able to read a children's book and understand somewhat complex conversations, but I could only speak stilted, very formal sentences. I learned more than 1000 kanji characters (I never counted exactly how many) and followed Dragonball in Japanese (not that tough). I had to quit the class shortly after my friend and I did a "presentation," where as a joke I called Genji Monogatari a hentai. (Kono Sensai did NOT appreciate that.)

I also took a Biblical Hebrew course, and could read senteces right out of the Bible and understand them. But I can't compose sentences in that language due to the very irregular sentence structure and conjugation. As for speaking it--no one speaks it.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Zaia wrote:English and Spanish, although I know basic French, Polish and Hebrew as well. Only voted for 2 though (didn't cheat), because I'd have a hard time holding a conversation in the last three.
Otchah omeret ivrit?

I thought I was the only one...
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I've never gotten why people ask stuff to others in languages they say they know. Some kind of test? Don't believe them?

When I was little, I used to speak conversational Polish with my grandfather. However, I can only remember a smattering of words, none of which can be used together (in any logical way, anyway).

Anyway, I said I sucked at it, so it's whatev. :D

And Bob, I took Hebrew in college because my best friend's Jewish. It was SO GODDAMN HARD!!! One alphabet for writing, another for reading--what the hell! That sucked, dude, with only a semester to catch up with the other people in my class, all but one of whom had been reading/writing Hebrew for as long as they could remember. Bah. Bah, I say! :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Danish and English.
I would consider my written English almost fluent. Ive been reading and writing English since I was 12. My spoken English is good after Ive talked it for a while. It needs "warming up" so to speak.
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Isn't that because Norwegian and Swedish are technically the same language?
Not really.

Norway have 2 sets of official language.
Bokmål(Book-Language) and Nynorsk(New-Norwegian). Bokmål is spoken by the majority.
There are IIRC a few others but they dont really matter tbh.

Bokmål is very similar to Danish. Norway used to be a part of Denmark in the middle-ages and renaissance. It got stolen from us by the filthy Swedes in the 19th century :P.
The composition is abit different but when written most Danes would be able to understand it and vice versa.

Ive heard it said that Danish is very fast compared to Norwegian. Norwegians use more words in a sentence than Danes for instance.
DeadM wrote:English and Norwegian, but I can understand Swedish and Danish(since they are extremely similar to Norwegian, except spoken Danish, which, IMO sounds very different from spoken Swedish and Norwegian) and most Swedish and Danish people would probably understand Norwegian.
Most Danes have a few difficulties with spoken Norwegian. And *alot* of problems with spoken Swedish.

Many Norwegian words sounds "cute" when heard by Danes. Only children use those words :P.

Swedish is simply impossible to understand for most Danes. They "sing" too much.

Danish is simply flat. Just like Denmark ;).

Ive been in Sweden a couple of times and Norway once. They had no problems with me talking Danish to them but when they talked back I had to ask them to talk English.
Quite embarrassing really :oops:.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I speak English fluently, and French conversationally. I have a big vocabulary in French, but my grammar is out of practice. I can read it well, and can understand it when spoken.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Lord Sander
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Sander »

Batman wrote:I know dozens of languages.
Chinese,Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, several varaitions of English, Tagalog, Esperanto, Japanese, Dutch, Belgian,
<snip>

.... Belgian :wtf:
Lord Sander,
"Oderint dum metuant"
Glory to the Empire and Emperor Palpatine!
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I only speak English fluently, although I am studying Spanish, and I know it and French well enough to say "I do not speak Spanish" in Spanish, or "I do not speak French" in French.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Given the requirements, two. I can speak SPanish on a conversational level, but no further. I know a couple of basic questions and answers in Russian. -shrugs- I know many tidbits of a lot of other languages, though.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Lord Sander wrote:
Batman wrote:I know dozens of languages.
Chinese,Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, several varaitions of English, Tagalog, Esperanto, Japanese, Dutch, Belgian,
<snip>

.... Belgian :wtf:
He must have forgotten that he spoke german as well. Then he would indeed speak all three official languages of Belgium :).
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You forgot English there, Ver. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I've never gotten why people ask stuff to others in languages they say they know. Some kind of test? Don't believe them?

To show that they speak it too?
darthdavid wrote:Parce-que tu te touches a soir.
No, I sleep at night, since I'm tired from touching myself during the day. :P I'm also reasonably sure that sentence is nowhere near correct.
YT300000 wrote:
Alle rozumiesz je dobrze?
Russian is similar enough to Polish for me to understand a lot of it. So, yes, I can understand you quite well. :wink:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2004-04-20 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:You forgot English there, Ver. :P
Implied. :P

Formerly verilon

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ему не надо знать английский. Знание даже пары слов великого, могучего и богатого русского языка (кто это сказал? :wink: ) намного важнее знания всяких там тарабарских наречий. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

fgalkin wrote:
??? ?? ???? ????? ??????????. ?????? ???? ???? ???? ????????, ???????? ? ???????? ???????? ????? (??? ??? ??????? :wink: ) ??????? ?????? ?????? ?????? ??? ??????????? ???????. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
"= = = = English. = = = =, = and = Russian = (what is =? ;)) = = = = = = =. :D"

Gawds, I'm pitiful. And I *did* know about six more of those words.. but I lost my Russian books (which I'm highly pissed off about, btw).

Formerly verilon

Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

English is my native tounge and can also speak French, Spanish, Italian, German, some Provençal, and Portuguese. I'm quite the romantic guy :wink: .
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

English first, and I can speak some pidgin German. But I can understand German perfectly, and my written German is decent.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I speak English and enough Klingon to get by.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Batman wrote:Okay, I'm officially depressed.

Is there anybody here who doesn't know more than 1 foreign language?

:oops:

Yep. Personally the older I get the less I think I understand English as well.

I can recognize some Spanish words and a understand a few phrases but I'm chalking that up more to vocabulary than actually being able to speak the language.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sign language... smattering of Latin and Hausa... English... and a nice assortment of cuss words in Klingon, Russian, French, Black Speech, among others. Call it 2 and (if you count Latin, Hausa, and the cuss words) about three-fourths...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

SecondStorm wrote:Most Danes have a few difficulties with spoken Norwegian. And *alot* of problems with spoken Swedish.

Many Norwegian words sounds "cute" when heard by Danes. Only children use those words :P.

Swedish is simply impossible to understand for most Danes. They "sing" too much.

Danish is simply flat. Just like Denmark ;).

Ive been in Sweden a couple of times and Norway once. They had no problems with me talking Danish to them but when they talked back I had to ask them to talk English.
Quite embarrassing really :oops:.
Danes are having trouble with Swedish? I didn’t know that.

Anyways I understand Danish put answer in Swedish the only thing I don’t get is your crazy way to number stuff.

I checked the three languages but if I count Dane and Norwegian it would make five and guess I can throw in Icelandic also, that would make it six languages.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Finnish as native language, good English, tolerable Swedish and crappy German. I also know a little Estonian, Finnish and Estonian are somewhat similar and I had a friend from Estonia as a kid, so picked up a few things, but I don't know the language by any measure.

I think I'm going to put my self down as knowing three languages, my German is so poor that it has little practicable use.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

German as native language, and fluent English (according to a teahcer with an East-Anglia accent...), and know some bits of Italian (I'm good at cursing...).
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

german & english
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

English and Spanish. although i can swear in 6 languages.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy