Acquired Habits?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I would say the Spock eyebrow dealy, but I picked that up more from my dad.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Spock eyebrow.

Cursewords from BattleStar Galatica (TOS)

Homer Simpson: D'oh!

"That's gonna leave a mark...." (anyone know where that came from? I've no clue)

From Mercedes Lackey: "Ke'Sharra" (Tale-sedrin word for 'beloved' in her Valdemar novels)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

LadyTevar wrote:"That's gonna leave a mark...." (anyone know where that came from? I've no clue)
Probably Spaceballs.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dalton wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:"That's gonna leave a mark...." (anyone know where that came from? I've no clue)
Probably Spaceballs.
main source i recognize it from, but it's probably from somewhere else. when Barf gets the seatbelt rammed into him when they're in the winnebego, i think. don't remember exactly which scene.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Let's see, books...

Lovecraft:

-Picked up a habit of being insanely cynical of humanity in general.
-Picked up a habit of scaring the shit out of people as I patiently explain the nature of the universe, and their position in it.
-Picked up the habit of creating morbid stories that lack happy endings.

Movies/TV/other...

Eminem:

-Picked up a habit of listening to hip-hop. Evil evil me.

Inuyasha:

-Picked up a habit of taking the Sesshomaru approach to obstacles. Show no indication that they're having any effect on you whatsoever, and if they continue to get in your way, destroy them.

The internet:

-Lost my religion, got into bondage, discovered I was bisexual, became the first in my family to be anything but republican, learned to flirt, and any number of other unholy things.

Innumerable horror movies:

-Picked up the habit of, despite having a wonderful imagination when it comes to coming up with scary shit, never actually being scared of anything. Try me.

-Damien
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Probably Spaceballs.
main source i recognize it from, but it's probably from somewhere else. when Barf gets the seatbelt rammed into him when they're in the winnebego, i think. don't remember exactly which scene.
Lonestar asked Barf about what did Vespa call him. Move to Lonestar getting up and confronting her, Barf getting up and failing to remember the seat belt.

For me another trait is basically going "Impressive...most impressive," while taunting kiddies on fighting games, and then adding "But you are not a Jedi, yet."
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I spent a week at a seminar at the US Naval Academy, now everything that is good is in fact "outstanding".

And I occasionally pick up a phrase (though I usually think it instead of saying it) from any number of C&C games.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I actually subconsciously think "LOL" when I laugh and "WTF" when I say "What the fuck?"

>_>
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

verilon wrote:I actually subconsciously think "LOL" when I laugh and "WTF" when I say "What the fuck?"

>_>
Same here.

<_<
JADAFETWA
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Oh yes, I've started including 'Feh' in my everyday vocabulary.

-Damien
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I dimly recall reading somebody on the 'net use the term "what the holy flying fuck?" and I now frequently use it. (preferably with an "...of doom" added!)
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

The act of putting my hand behind my head when embarrassed -- many, many anime I watched when I was a kid(before I even knew what anime was)

Saying "Zug-Zug" -- Warcraft
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

SAMAS wrote:The act of putting my hand behind my head when embarrassed -- many, many anime I watched when I was a kid(before I even knew what anime was)

Saying "Zug-Zug" -- Warcraft
Haha, reminds me of when i used to say "more work?!" like the offended peasants in WC3 for a brief time.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The lost Prophet
Youngling

Post by The lost Prophet »

beat you all, i carry a towel thanks the The "Ulitimate Hitchhikers Guide", just in case - and it has come in handy
Bams rules: Rule #1. If you dont like it, destroy it
Rule #2. if it serves no purpose, burn it.
"No one is taller then the last man standing" - unknown
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" - Shark Bait
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I have picked up the spock eyebrow raise
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I do the Spock eyebrow raise.
Teal'c's head bow.
Dr Evil's "Riiiiight."
Slight English accent.
Al Bundy's hand in the pants.
Homer simpson's shrug shoulders "I dunno." Also the little scream he does when something goes awry.
"It's working! It's working!" From Ep1.
Use of Klingon in everyday life.
I "Picard Maneuver" on shirts a lot.

There's probably more I don't know about.

Forgot one: I gesticulate a LOT. I forget where this comes from.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

since watching a Disney Christmas special, one of my favorite expletives is "Sweet Christmas!"

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

LadyTevar wrote:The Spock eyebrow.

Cursewords from BattleStar Galatica (TOS)

Homer Simpson: D'oh!

"That's gonna leave a mark...." (anyone know where that came from? I've no clue)

From Mercedes Lackey: "Ke'Sharra" (Tale-sedrin word for 'beloved' in her Valdemar novels)
Probably from spaceballs.

Oh, and after seeing Lord of the G-Strings, I've found that "Holy shit! Break me off a piece of that!" is my new catchphrase.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

My friends and I have all gotten into the habit of making SF alien sounds as part of our normal reppertoire, such as:

"Toronto gosh!"
"Yoto yoto"
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Darth Wong wrote:I suspect that most adult males probably derived some of their mannerisms from movies, particularly the more "macho" ones such as a swagger in your gait or an intimidating glare.

And air-guitaring is a horrible habit that a huge number of people have picked up from watching musical performers.

except my air guitaring has either townsend inspired windmilling, or Clapton inspired finger movements too.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I had a cat that was a discovery channel addict, and would imitate the head shake, and the rolling of sholders have you ever seen a kitten prend to be a sarrengetti lion?

Another old one is that having scene a large number of movies I steal things quite liberally. Still the longest manerism stolen, is my morphing accent....

See my mom and her sisters are from Texas, my mom's youngest sister wanted to be from England. so I naturally have a talent mor switching between californian, Southern,, and "Posh" Infact when I am educating/explaining directions to someone, I naturally switch to BBC university speak, and when I am doing my kiss ass best for the paying coustomers I am drawling like a texan. Unfortunatly our darker pigmentationed guests don't seem to like that behaviour....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I use a lot of Jim Carrey and Adam Sandlers cathphrases and manerisms when i'm not thinking. Last week i was playing Horizons and took out a lvl 50 Golem solo, as it crumples i exclaimed "THE PRICE IS WRONG BITCH!" drawing me some funny looks from my parents.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Bouncing my head up and down at the opportune moment in Bohemian Rhapsody, thanks to Waynes World. And I hear that song alot in my house. I can't stop the above shoulder reaction either. I can't stop the voices :roll:
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

After watching the FLCL dub all the way through several times, I added "chief" to my vocabulary. I use it pretty often when addressing people.

Also, Family Guy. I do the Quagmire "aaaaaaaalright" now and then, and also Stewie's "BLAST!".

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

In response to someone proving me wrong at work, I'll often pull down a tuft of hair onto my forehead and say "You're fired." and walk away, completely serious expression on my face and all.

Spock eyebrow thing.....