Fencing Advice

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Keevan_Colton wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:I reccomend grabbing the silly bit of tinfoil with your off hand and kick him in the nuts.
Unfortunately, that's against the rules, so are a lot of other things, such as offering your back to your opponent....possibly to prevent mooning them...I'm unsure on that one.
Rules shmolz.. better to use the book of dirty fithy tricks..after all thats how you stay alive when fighting.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its gotta be great not being able to grab your opponents weapon which has no functioning edges ... deary me :)

A rapier has a few advantages over katana, tho, and a real katana handles quite differently to a bokken (at least the bokken I've used).
Sokartawi
Crazy Karma Chameleon

Post by Sokartawi »

Ghost Rider wrote:So who here trains with Boken?
*raises hand*

Got two of them, have to make use of ambidexterity. Still there is nothing around to learn any techniques from, so I just have to make things up and practice that.
Stubborn as ever - Let's hope it pays off this time.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stark wrote:Its gotta be great not being able to grab your opponents weapon which has no functioning edges ... deary me :)

A rapier has a few advantages over katana, tho, and a real katana handles quite differently to a bokken (at least the bokken I've used).
they've got their pluses and minuses on each side. a katana being a slashing weapon while a rapier being a thrusting one is naturally going to have majorly different offsets. the biggest being that rapiers allow for quick in and out hits.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

Ghost Rider wrote:So who here trains with Boken?
I do. I have used both traditional peachwood and iron wood, alternatingly.
Ultimately I switched from Kendo to Iaido because I preferred its more artistic, meditative qualities, but I still have not acquired a shenai which would be more appropriate for that sub-discipline.
Also, I find practicing Iaido makes one a bit more decisive, quick and not so hesitant. Good stuff for applying to real life.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Bokken are better for practicing cutting exercises and forms, but for full on sparring exercises, you are much better and safer with a shina training wise.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Bokken are better for practicing cutting exercises and forms, but for full on sparring exercises, you are much better and safer with a shina training wise.
True, but a hit to the neck with either hurts like a bitch. :)

And cool to see people use them.

As for live blades...once or twice, with someone either as good or much, much better then me...definitly a different experience.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

There are several answers, but all of them depend on how well you can execute them, your handwork and footwork skills.

If he's disengaging you, and it's more than once, he probably has better handwork. As a not-that-skilled E foil fencer, I encounter this problem often.

Personally, the thing that works for me the best is to follow Thirdfain's suggestion of playing distance games--slow retreat, followed by fast retreat to convince him to commit to the attack, then parry-riposte when you get out of distance. I'm more confident in my footwork in my handwork, so yeah :D

Also make note of how he sets up his fleche. Does he immediately execute it, without warning? Or does he make some sort of preparation? If it's the latter, you can always try for an attack-in-preparation, although that might also be a dodgy right-of-way issue depending on your director.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

That reminds me of one of the other rather stupid moments I've run into in fencing...such as the rules concerning lunges, which where I was basically boiled down to, you must move into a lunge or you dont have priority in terms of getting a touch...which struck me as more loony than most of the rules they trotted out, given that if you must move prior to landing the touch, you must tacitly give your opponent a massive clue of what you are doing. Which is right up there with invading russia in the "it's a bad idea" stakes.

There are entire styles which involve simply letting your opponent attack, then countering from a "defensive" position with no, aggressive move, parry and let them move through into your blow.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

As a beginning fencer, do you (vastly) more experienced guys have any footwork or, more importantly, handwork drills I can do by myself? I have a few I practice with my friends but I can't do that every day so I usually end up doing the same one or two footwork drills over and over.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

HemlockGrey wrote:As a beginning fencer, do you (vastly) more experienced guys have any footwork or, more importantly, handwork drills I can do by myself? I have a few I practice with my friends but I can't do that every day so I usually end up doing the same one or two footwork drills over and over.
Do some stuff that seems counter-intuitive.

Retreat extend, Retreat En guarde etc etc

Also, I cannot stress enough: make sure your legs are in good shape. You need to remain mobile so you need strong leg muscles...and a good respiratory system. A few bouts before the one I mention in the OP, I *almost* lost a bout because my damn legs started to cramp up, making me a stationary target.

Also do a series of blade-work drills:

Beat direct
Beat disengage attack
Beat double disengage attack
Beat, doublé attack

And you can mix it up, throw in jump lunges, advance lunges or other variations on direct attacks instead of straight lunge.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Shadow WarChief wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:As a beginning fencer, do you (vastly) more experienced guys have any footwork or, more importantly, handwork drills I can do by myself? I have a few I practice with my friends but I can't do that every day so I usually end up doing the same one or two footwork drills over and over.
Do some stuff that seems counter-intuitive.

Retreat extend, Retreat En guarde etc etc

Also, I cannot stress enough: make sure your legs are in good shape. You need to remain mobile so you need strong leg muscles...and a good respiratory system. A few bouts before the one I mention in the OP, I *almost* lost a bout because my damn legs started to cramp up, making me a stationary target.

Also do a series of blade-work drills:

Beat direct
Beat disengage attack
Beat double disengage attack
Beat, doublé attack

And you can mix it up, throw in jump lunges, advance lunges or other variations on direct attacks instead of straight lunge.
Or my personal favorite..pull a paintball gun and shoot the bugger!!! :P
Long live the western way of war!
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Stuart Mackey wrote: Or my personal favorite..pull a paintball gun and shoot the bugger!!! :P
Long live the western way of war!
Or we can go back further...

Beat, grab wrist, lead off, stab in chest, kidneys or throat depending on prefrence.... :wink:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Find Slim Eddies 2nd hand jewlery store, pay him 10%. Oh wait you mean actual fencing................
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

pplace posts deep in ground surround with concrete....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Fencing? I'd rather Trebuchet practice. :D

Nothing like Human-Powered Heavy Artillery! :twisted:
Image Image
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Want to come within reach of my arming sword and say that? Better yet, my quarterstaff? You would not walk away unscathed. Because unlike silly fencers, I don't have to stay within a certain range and move back and forth in a straight line.
I think I can pretty much guarantee you that any experienced fencer would be able to beat the everliving shit out of you in anything resembling a swordfight.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

HemlockGrey wrote:
Want to come within reach of my arming sword and say that? Better yet, my quarterstaff? You would not walk away unscathed. Because unlike silly fencers, I don't have to stay within a certain range and move back and forth in a straight line.
I think I can pretty much guarantee you that any experienced fencer would be able to beat the everliving shit out of you in anything resembling a swordfight.
Actually, most likely not.

There are a lot of principles in fencing that cannot be carried over to real blade to blade combat. Not least the fact that the handling characteristics of fencing blades of all types handle nothing like a real blade.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Yeah, I know, it's just annoying to see people going "Ahahaha, fencing sux0rs, I'm tough!"
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

HemlockGrey wrote:Yeah, I know, it's just annoying to see people going "Ahahaha, fencing sux0rs, I'm tough!"
It's like comparing chess to commanding an army when you compare fencing to using real blades.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

It really depends on the weapon you're using...Epee is the most realistic since there are basically no rules....and the whole body is a viable target: head, hand, feet, everything....whoever hits first gets the point
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Shadow WarChief wrote:It really depends on the weapon you're using...Epee is the most realistic since there are basically no rules....and the whole body is a viable target: head, hand, feet, everything....whoever hits first gets the point
Realistic my fucking arse.

A touch to the tip of the little finger is considered as valid as a touch to the inner thigh or throat...and if landing that touch on the finger leaves your throat open for a counter?

It's not realistic in the least.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Keevan_Colton wrote: Realistic my fucking arse.

A touch to the tip of the little finger is considered as valid as a touch to the inner thigh or throat...and if landing that touch on the finger leaves your throat open for a counter?

Hence, my usage of the word "most"
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Shadow WarChief wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote: Realistic my fucking arse.

Hence, my usage of the word "most"
That's like saying of neon, argon and water, water is the most flammable! ;)
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

biggest problem with fencing in and of itself is that there's too many rules and restrictions one has to observe to be of any decent skill in the sport. Much like some martial arts such as wushu which emphasizes more on style and looking pretty over actual practicality.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."