Terminator vs. Predator

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

evilcat4000 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Predator will take this.

Whilst cloaked, it has all the time in the world to line up it's shots.

If it goes HtH, who has the advantage there?
I dont think the Predators cloak would work against the Terminator. The terminator has infrared sensors. Unless the Predator cools itself to absolute zero the infrared sensors will detect it.
As stated elsewhere in the thread. The AvP game shows Preds cannot be seen by IR.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Gandalf wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Predator will take this.

I dont think the Predators cloak would work against the Terminator. The terminator has infrared sensors. Unless the Predator cools itself to absolute zero the infrared sensors will detect it.
As stated elsewhere in the thread. The AvP game shows Preds cannot be seen by IR.
Unless you can prove Game mechanics have any bearing on canon...this is the same as saying the ISD globes are shield generators.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Gandalf wrote:As stated elsewhere in the thread. The AvP game shows Preds cannot be seen by IR.
Unless you can prove Game mechanics have any bearing on canon...this is the same as saying the ISD globes are shield generators.
Fair enough.

Where we see the IR in the Terminator movies? I always thought his standard vision was some sort of night vision.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Gandalf wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Gandalf wrote:As stated elsewhere in the thread. The AvP game shows Preds cannot be seen by IR.
Fair enough.

Where we see the IR in the Terminator movies? I always thought his standard vision was some sort of night vision.
In T2 the T-800 could always identify the T-1000. That would indicate some sort of infrared vision.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Gandalf wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Fair enough.

In T2 the T-800 could always identify the T-1000. That would indicate some sort of infrared vision.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

evilcat4000 wrote:In T2 the T-800 could always identify the T-1000. That would indicate some sort of infrared vision.
Or that it gives off some sort of signature other Terminators can see.

- George Carlin
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

HhhhMmmm...

Post by frigidmagi »

Electronic recogation code broadcast over various freqs, maybe? So they wouldn't frag each other while sneaking into the human resistance's enclaves and bases?
harbringer
Padawan Learner

Post by harbringer »

ok number one WHEN WILL YOU EVER WATCH PREDATOR 2 I am sick of telling you he is IR invisible in that movie while on the way to the slaughter house !!! number two in terminator 2 in the start you can read the screen as the pred walks round.

The pred would lose 50-70% of the time. The pred is quite happy to use the most effective means to hunt the terminator and the reverse is true. However the terminator wont need to pull back or get tired. However terminators seem to start off quite "dumb" where as the predator is already up to speed. All the terminator needs to do is use something other than a visible spectrum to hunt (ie. audio)
"Depending on who you talk to, a mercenary can be anything from a savior to the scum of the universe. On the Wolf's Dragoons world of Outreach, the Mercenary's Star, we know what a merc really is - a business man." - Wolf's Dragoons, Outreach (Merc World mag. 3056)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I haven't seen evidnece that the Terminator has thermal imaging vision- it has a form of image intensification, which is not the same thing (less sophisticated).

So yeah, Robocop has a better FCS than Terminator.

Still, the Terminator can't be seriously damaged from anything the Predator has got to throw at him, IMO.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Vympel wrote:I haven't seen evidnece that the Terminator has thermal imaging vision- it has a form of image intensification, which is not the same thing (less sophisticated).
Well, someone ought to get the books. Someone should contact NecronLord.
So yeah, Robocop has a better FCS than Terminator.
Do you want to die early? :evil: What you just said was a naughty thing, bordering on blasphemy.

And the Pred could be seen via IR, I mean, he saw his hand in Pred 1.
As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Predator will take this.

The Termie has advanced sensors and even if it couldn't see the Pred in IR, or even if it hadn't IR, it could triangulate where the Pred's blast came from and shoot the thing. And it could find out where the Pred is, since its eye sight is so keen, it could spot the ripples.

Remember, that short black guy from Predator shot the Pred in the leg while shooting blindly at the Pred's general direction with the dead guy's gatling gun. Imagine what a Termie could do.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Some general notes:

-The Predator's vision works on thermal mode(although other modes are available). The Terminator has synthetic flesh which should adaquately trick the Predator into thinking he is dealing with a normal human being. This could be his unduing as a first strike will undoubtedly be inadaquate and warn the Terminator, allowing time for it will retaliation.

-The Terminator's optical sensors seem to be quite sophisticated. According to the T-800 in T3, he could read John Conner's body temperature, pupil dilation and gauge his motor functions. This indicates the Terminator can pick up extremely precise visual effects at range(note the pupil dilation), and is capable of detecting body temperatures. This indicates, to me, that the Predator's cloak will effectively nullified. The visual distortion is something the T-800 will be able to track(humans can see it at even long range), and the Predator emitting body heat should also be detectable.

-The T-800 has a lot of firepower on hand, the minigun alone seems to ensure victory. The Terminator will not be firing blindly nor in a panic. Even cover behind trees could be possibly penetrated by the caliber and number of rounds the gun spits out(gun experts feel free to correct me).

All in all, I say the Terminator takes this match easily. The only thing that could save the Predator would be realizing what the Terminator actually is and having the means to disabling/killing it before the Terminator...well, earns it's name.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Do you want to die early? :evil: What you just said was a naughty thing, bordering on blasphemy.
From the canon, it's obviously true. Robocop's FCS has thermal imaging (Robocop 1), as well as demonstrated ballistics calculation for oblique kills (Robocop 2).
And the Pred could be seen via IR, I mean, he saw his hand in Pred 1.
That was a form of thermal imaging. From canon, the Terminator doesn't have it, just simple image intensification.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Captain tycho wrote:Well, the T-850 took the T-X's plasma blast right to the chest without any real damage, it just seemed to be stunned.
Having the DVD on hand, that same plasma gun blew the entire front off of a fire truck and flipped it into the air.

However, one might suggest the T-X used a different power setting for that shot. We simply don't know for certain.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Robert Walper wrote:
Captain tycho wrote:Well, the T-850 took the T-X's plasma blast right to the chest without any real damage, it just seemed to be stunned.
Having the DVD on hand, that same plasma gun blew the entire front off of a fire truck and flipped it into the air.

However, one might suggest the T-X used a different power setting for that shot. We simply don't know for certain.
But you can determine how energy was needed to lift the T-850 off his feet and sail through the air into the shed.

So far unless someone has a clip or some piece of offical literature of the Pred's cannon even accomplishing half of that, I'd like to hear it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:

But you can determine how energy was needed to lift the T-850 off his feet and sail through the air into the shed.
True enough, though one should take into account we have no idea how heavy a Terminator actually is. We could establish a lower limit, but so long as it takes into account the T-800 is apparently quite heavy. Enough so that a bulky fireman can't even budge him. The T-800's mass is also apparent by noticing the ease by which he can lift fully grown men completely off the ground with little to no need for moving in a "counter balance" manner.
So far unless someone has a clip or some piece of offical literature of the Pred's cannon even accomplishing half of that, I'd like to hear it.
That was kinda my point. :P

Though in all fairness, the Predator's shoulder canon made some very impressive blasts in Predator 1. Laird has several screenshots I believe.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Ghost Rider wrote:But you can determine how energy was needed to lift the T-850 off his feet and sail through the air into the shed.

Well, heres a quote on a burner (Pred hunting rifle) hitting a Xenomorph:
Aliens vs Preadotr: Prey, page 236 wrote:Dachande aimed his burner at the screaming creature. Light and heat spewed in a tight beam.

The drone's back exploded outward in a spray of corrosive blood and cooked entrails.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Black Admiral wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:But you can determine how energy was needed to lift the T-850 off his feet and sail through the air into the shed.

Well, heres a quote on a burner (Pred hunting rifle) hitting a Xenomorph:
Aliens vs Preadotr: Prey, page 236 wrote:Dachande aimed his burner at the screaming creature. Light and heat spewed in a tight beam.

The drone's back exploded outward in a spray of corrosive blood and cooked entrails.
I believe that same effect could be achieved by a simple shotgun, and a shotgun would be vastly inadaquate to immitate the T-X's plasma canon firepower.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Actually IIRC in the AvPvT comic a predator is able to one-shot a T-800 with its shoulder cannon. It's the Funky Termy-Alien things that they used the acid on.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

In Pred 1 the pred can see his own arm in IR before he turns off the cloak device ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Robert Walper wrote:True enough, though one should take into account we have no idea how heavy a Terminator actually is. We could establish a lower limit, but so long as it takes into account the T-800 is apparently quite heavy. Enough so that a bulky fireman can't even budge him. The T-800's mass is also apparent by noticing the ease by which he can lift fully grown men completely off the ground with little to no need for moving in a "counter balance" manner.
The T-850 is 500 pounds, according to the novel. And that is because of its extra armoring. So the 800 will be lighter.
That was kinda my point. :P

Though in all fairness, the Predator's shoulder canon made some very impressive blasts in Predator 1. Laird has several screenshots I believe.
Well, it did blow a huge hole through Ventura's chest.

But Ah-nuld's M16 was able to stop most of the plasma bolt's blast, so when he got shot, he only got a flesh wound.

@ Black Admiral:

Burners are not hunting rifles. They are war weapons. Or so it said in AvP: Hunter's Planet

@ Crown: I already said that :P
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

A T-800 wouldn't really need to. Visually you can see there's something there. The T-800 is unlikely to assume it's his eyes playing tricks on him or the like which usually happens when people see the predator move, especially not if he were aware of the nature of his opponent.

As for Teminator Sensors. I have nothing on T-800s, but the T-850 has thermal vision, as well as the ability to scan for electronic noise amd EM emissions, which, given that the Predator has significant heavy duty electrical equipment.
T3 Novel wrote:Terminator's infared, optical, elecromagnetic emissions, and directed audio sensors continued to pick up a melange of data: heat signitures from dozens of ground conveyances - cars, trucks, and motorcycles - electronic noise from what he computed as excited neon gas, sixty Hz common electrical circuitry, some high-frequency broadcasts to to and from portable communications devices called cellphones, donzens of human body heat sources mixed in ever changing blocking and addictive patterns, and combinations of sounds of mixed frequenciesat varying rhythmic speeds that he understood to be music.
T3 Novel wrote:With his onboard electronic emissions detectors (which included radar) he pushed the truck to speeds in excess of one hundred miles per hour.
If it has equivalent senses to a T-850, there's no way the Predator will go undetected.
Well, someone ought to get the books. Someone should contact NecronLord.
As if I'd stay away. :)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Crown wrote:
In Pred 1 the pred can see his own arm in IR before he turns off the cloak device ...
Are you talking about the time where he picks up the scorpion? He might not have been cloaked at that time, since everyone was dead or had left. Other times when he's moving through trees and the like when following the humans we don't see any body parts.

Either way, I don't think that's going to be all that important as chances are the terminator will pick something up.
But Ah-nuld's M16 was able to stop most of the plasma bolt's blast, so when he got shot, he only got a flesh wound.
The shoulder cannon has variable yields, as shown in the difference in blasts between the log with a small mammal hiding underneath it on the mud shore after the whole waterfall chase thing, and the trees at the final night battle.

An injured t800 was impaled in t2 and had it's primary fuel cell fractured. The combistick can definately go through some metal according to predator 2, and presumably the pred could then remove the head preventing it from doing the whole rerouting thing.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

You know, small question: why would the Preds build a plasma weapon with variable yield? A kill shot is better, in their case and iwth their purpose, than a stun shot or a minor wound, is it not? I'd think they'd prefer to just blast a person straight through than piddle around with variable yields, controls, and all that.

And, on topic, if the T3 novel's rendition of T-850 Ar-Nold's sensors is comperable to the T-800 Ar-Nold, the predator will go undetected for all of tw seconds. But is it? Now that's the rub.

I figure a better chance will be for the Terminator to wait till the Pred is stupid enough to fire a shot, track the trajectory, and put bullets on it. He should have teh reflexes to do that quite easily, i would think. Also, just a thought, if the Pred plasma weaposn are similar to the Future plasma weapons, it might take two or three shots to down the Terminator, since a shot to the gut by a TX plasma weapon causes little damage, however ths may not work assuming the T-800 is less well armoured than the T-850.
Kanye West Saves.

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:You know, small question: why would the Preds build a plasma weapon with variable yield? A kill shot is better, in their case and iwth their purpose, than a stun shot or a minor wound, is it not? I'd think they'd prefer to just blast a person straight through than piddle around with variable yields, controls, and all that.
It's a matter of how much charge you dump into it. The more charge, the more firepower.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:since a shot to the gut by a TX plasma weapon causes little damage,
Wrong actually. The TX seemed quite confident that he wasn't getting up, and that the T-850 problem had been solved. He most likely survived by luck.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth