Terminator vs. Predator

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

NecronLord wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:since a shot to the gut by a TX plasma weapon causes little damage,
Wrong actually. The TX seemed quite confident that he wasn't getting up, and that the T-850 problem had been solved. He most likely survived by luck.
But how lucky could he be? He was barely scractched, and all he had to do was toss out a damaged fuel cell. Maybe she was just confident he'd be incapacitated until she was finished, but not dead. It seems, to me, mor elikely that way.
Kanye West Saves.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rye wrote: An injured t800 was impaled in t2 and had it's primary fuel cell fractured. The combistick can definately go through some metal according to predator 2, and presumably the pred could then remove the head preventing it from doing the whole rerouting thing.
You assume that it would have the same force behind it as when weilded by the T-1000 and that it has significantly greater harness than steel.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:But how lucky could he be? He was barely scractched, and all he had to do was toss out a damaged fuel cell. Maybe she was just confident he'd be incapacitated until she was finished, but not dead. It seems, to me, mor elikely that way.
It killed his fuel cell. If it had done the same to the other one, which was all of an inch or two to the other side, he'd be mission killed. If the TX were fighting him rather than trying to reacquire Connor, she'd finish him off then.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

NecronLord wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:But how lucky could he be? He was barely scractched, and all he had to do was toss out a damaged fuel cell. Maybe she was just confident he'd be incapacitated until she was finished, but not dead. It seems, to me, mor elikely that way.
It killed his fuel cell. If it had done the same to the other one, which was all of an inch or two to the other side, he'd be mission killed. If the TX were fighting him rather than trying to reacquire Connor, she'd finish him off then.
Granted.

However, i was just thinking that the Pred plasma caster might have less 'luck'. Especially, you know, since as i was saying this is a T-800 not a T-850 and their powerplants might be structured differently. I was saying that the T-800 might be weaker or stronger compared to plasma weapons, depening on weather luck or armour saved the newer model. But you have a point, however about the closeness the shot was to both fuel cells.
Kanye West Saves.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote: However, i was just thinking that the Pred plasma caster might have less 'luck'.
I'm thinking it's just less powerful. The TX's weapon put a nice hole in armour plate. I've yet to see the plasma caster do that.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

NecronLord wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote: However, i was just thinking that the Pred plasma caster might have less 'luck'.
I'm thinking it's just less powerful. The TX's weapon put a nice hole in armour plate. I've yet to see the plasma caster do that.
Good point. Sorta what i was thinking; it may not be able to penetrate Terminator armour. All it's done so far is blwo holes in soft human flesh, something easier to do than punch a hole in steel, i assume
Kanye West Saves.

YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Robert Walper wrote:Shit...good matchup YT.
Thanks. :)
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Anyway, here's some stuff of interest about T-800 sensors from eterminator.com:
The T-800 is capable of running internal systems checks; calculating the distance of objects relative to itself; making detailed kinetic studies of trajectories; sampling and analysing the atmosphere, weather patterns and wind velocity; analysing human emotional states (in order to assess possible hostility); analysing body language and direction of muscle contraction; calculating the force of gravity; analysing texture and temperature of materials; and sensing radar scans. It is fitted with an internal chronometer. The T-800 is capable of motion tracking, search modes, facial identification and recognition and has extensive vision enhancement capabilities including long range "zoom" (the T-800 can snap-magnify an image by around x15), motion analysis and "night vision". The T-800’s visual systems (at least) appear to be programmed in COBOL and 6502 assembly (specifically Apple +2 assembly). The T-800’s do not feel pain and they do not have nerves, but they can sense injuries. We believe that the T-800 can do this through the use of impact sensors or as part of the overall sensor “sphere” that the unit generates, approximately akin to counter battery radar. There may be various impact sensors that record localised vibrations in the armour shell and, by extrapolation, “sense” where the damage in the T-800's living tissue is. This data then allows the T-800 to conduct low level complexity self repairs.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

NecronLord wrote: You assume that it would have the same force behind it as when weilded by the T-1000 and that it has significantly greater harness than steel.
The pred in Predator 2 throws it cleanly through a vent and it gets embedded in a presumably concrete wall atop the slaughterhouse, Danny Glover's character retrieves it without any noticable damage, that probably means something out in calc-land. :P

Although it is possible it had some anti grav stuff in it to aid it as a javelin-like projectile, but i think that's an unnecessary complication.

The predator also punches his way into a subway carriage from the roof in predator 2.

And a note on whether he can see himself when he's cloaked: when he's killing the jamaicans in that guy's apartment, he sticks his wristblades through one of them and lifts them up in the air, at this point it shows it from the predator's vision and all you can see is the guy's back, no seperate arm going into it.
You know, small question: why would the Preds build a plasma weapon with variable yield? A kill shot is better, in their case and iwth their purpose, than a stun shot or a minor wound, is it not? I'd think they'd prefer to just blast a person straight through than piddle around with variable yields, controls, and all that.
The same reasons you don't use rocket launchers when hunting deer.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:You know, small question: why would the Preds build a plasma weapon with variable yield? A kill shot is better, in their case and iwth their purpose, than a stun shot or a minor wound, is it not? I'd think they'd prefer to just blast a person straight through than piddle around with variable yields, controls, and all that.
So when shooting up logs or tiny heat signatures which may not be the prey's heat signatures, you'll use a full powered shot?

And, on topic, if the T3 novel's rendition of T-850 Ar-Nold's sensors is comperable to the T-800 Ar-Nold, the predator will go undetected for all of tw seconds. But is it? Now that's the rub.
Eh? "for all of 'tw' seconds"?

The T-800's sensors are comparable to the T-850. And I'm sure it can pick the light distortions.
I figure a better chance will be for the Terminator to wait till the Pred is stupid enough to fire a shot, track the trajectory, and put bullets on it. He should have teh reflexes to do that quite easily, i would think. Also, just a thought, if the Pred plasma weaposn are similar to the Future plasma weapons, it might take two or three shots to down the Terminator, since a shot to the gut by a TX plasma weapon causes little damage, however ths may not work assuming the T-800 is less well armoured than the T-850.
Nah, he won't wait to be fired on. He would immediately see the ripples in the air and open fire, filling the Pred with lead.
However, i was just thinking that the Pred plasma caster might have less 'luck'. Especially, you know, since as i was saying this is a T-800 not a T-850 and their powerplants might be structured differently. I was saying that the T-800 might be weaker or stronger compared to plasma weapons, depening on weather luck or armour saved the newer model. But you have a point, however about the closeness the shot was to both fuel cells.
The T-800 and the T-850 have different power plants. The T-800's doesn't go nuclear. What saved the T-850 was obviously its hardening to plasma weapons and a bit of luck as well, but maybe not since his other fuel cell was running perfectly fine.
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

18 til I die said:
You know, small question: why would the Preds build a plasma weapon with variable yield?
Because they want something left to make a torphy out of.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Something just occurred to me, would the Terminator be able to see the Predator's distorted image while cloaked?

I remember in the first one, the black guy stares at it while it's just sitting in the tree.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

People can see it while it moves or just stands there. And those people don't know what they're dealing with and hadn't a clue what it was doing to them, so they froze and had that George W. Bush look and didn't do anything. The Termie would know better, and it has way better eyesight, so it could see the Pred's distortion and blow the shit out of it.

BTW, I got the T2 novelization! GOOJOOWOOJOO!!! Ha! Now you people will worship me! Not NecronLord! I am Shroom Man! I am nobody's bitch. You, are mine! :P
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:BTW, I got the T2 novelization! GOOJOOWOOJOO!!! Ha! Now you people will worship me! Not NecronLord! I am Shroom Man! I am nobody's bitch. You, are mine! :P
Bah. I'm only lacking the T1 novelisation*. You're still my bitch.

*and all the comics. But hey, I'm not a comic book guy.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

NecronLord wrote:Bah. I'm only lacking the T1 novelisation*. You're still my bitch.

*and all the comics. But hey, I'm not a comic book guy.
When I escape the Hades dimension, I will be THE ONE!!!
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:People can see it while it moves or just stands there. And those people don't know what they're dealing with and hadn't a clue what it was doing to them, so they froze and had that George W. Bush look and didn't do anything. The Termie would know better, and it has way better eyesight, so it could see the Pred's distortion and blow the shit out of it.
That's assuming a whole load of things.

For one, terminators are bound to come across glitches from time to time, what kind of error controls do they have?

Wouldn't this be entirely new information? When terminators are sent out alone, skynet presets the nnp switch to "read only" whatever that means (I suspect it is to do with realligning the neural net and adding new behaviours). They can obviously add some new information, but it may not be able to with something completely unknown as with the predator and it's cloak (i.e. it is confined to specific behaviours on its' travels).

Why would the terminator determine this new unknown thing a threat to it's mission?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Come on! This is a versus. It's like saying "why would the ISD blow up the Enterprise" in a SW vs. ST debate.

The Termie might notice that it isn't a machine, that it is human-like. And the Termie might shoot first, ask questions about its odd technology and weapons system and cloak later.

And the Termie can see in infra-red, or at least heat. It says so in my newly acquired T2 book. Eat your heart out, NecronLord :P

[I prefer yours, *sound of horrible rib-cage tearing and heart munching* I'm better able to enjoy that one ~ NL]
T2 book, page 8, 2nd paragraph, line 10-13 wrote:
...The endoskeleton's glowing red eyes swept the dead terrain without emotion, all its intelligence focused through its visual and thermal sensors, hunting.
[/quote]
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Rye wrote: Wouldn't this be entirely new information? When terminators are sent out alone, skynet presets the nnp switch to "read only" whatever that means (I suspect it is to do with realligning the neural net and adding new behaviours). They can obviously add some new information, but it may not be able to with something completely unknown as with the predator and it's cloak (i.e. it is confined to specific behaviours on its' travels).
The T2 Ultimate Edition DVD goes into detail on the matter, basically, read only means that they can't change much of their programming (obey John Connor for example) but they can assimilate new tactical data and orders and so on.
Why would the terminator determine this new unknown thing a threat to it's mission?
This is a Vs. It's mission is to locate and terminate the Predator as far as I know.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Rye wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:People can see it while it moves or just stands there. And those people don't know what they're dealing with and hadn't a clue what it was doing to them, so they froze and had that George W. Bush look and didn't do anything. The Termie would know better, and it has way better eyesight, so it could see the Pred's distortion and blow the shit out of it.
That's assuming a whole load of things.

For one, terminators are bound to come across glitches from time to time, what kind of error controls do they have?

Wouldn't this be entirely new information? When terminators are sent out alone, skynet presets the nnp switch to "read only" whatever that means (I suspect it is to do with realligning the neural net and adding new behaviours). They can obviously add some new information, but it may not be able to with something completely unknown as with the predator and it's cloak (i.e. it is confined to specific behaviours on its' travels).

Cause, it's a vs. No glitches. And the Terminator's only mission is to blow the Pred away. Which it would :)
Kanye West Saves.

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
The Termie might notice that it isn't a machine, that it is human-like. And the Termie might shoot first, ask questions about its odd technology and weapons system and cloak later.
Just like modern fighter planes, each has a box in the front of it that gives off a certain encrypted signal, as soon as the terminator realizes there is a pressence, its going to send off its encrypted signal to see if its another terminator, after 3 miliseconds of no response,
whatever is not skynet is a threat so it starts Termination
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Rye wrote:
Crown wrote:In Pred 1 the pred can see his own arm in IR before he turns off the cloak device ...
Are you talking about the time where he picks up the scorpion? He might not have been cloaked at that time, since everyone was dead or had left. Other times when he's moving through trees and the like when following the humans we don't see any body parts.
Nope.

Just after the Pred gets shot, he looks down, sees his arm in IR, begins to de-activate his cloak, and then we cut to 3rd person view and see him de-cloak.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And when Termie was looking for John as John was in his dirt bike, the Termie was able to filter away all other sound so that he could isolate the unique sound of that particular dirt bike's engine.

And the Termie in T2 can sense radar scans, so he slows down whenever he goes near cops with their radar guns.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Damn, no last second editting!

Anyway, these things could help the Termie isolate the noise made by a X-hundred pound alien jumping from tree to tree or detect any radar scans if the Pred's multi-sensor array does have radar in it.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Didn't WWWF Grudge-Match do this?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Darth Gojira wrote:Didn't WWWF Grudge-Match do this?
Those guys suck. They made ST win over SW, okay?