I have a new computer!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

I have a new computer!

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Its thin its light, but the question is...
Can it make tea?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

If it can't play games it is useless.:P
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Laird wrote:If it can't play games it is useless.:P
But there ARE games for Macs. Just lack of RTSes, I think.

Besides, a laptop is for work.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

You can get C&C:G for Mac now (was just ported).

Xisiqomelir, lovely laptop but IMHO the PB17 is something of a waste ;) I'd rather take the backlit-keyboard PB15 :D
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Waste of....? Money? It's not THAT expensive.

My keyboard is backlit too, FYI ;)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Xisiqomelir wrote:Waste of....? Money? It's not THAT expensive.
Bah. Lapzilla is TEH HUGE. The PB15 is more svelte. Either that, or I'd get an IBM Thinkpad T41p :mrgreen:
My keyboard is backlit too, FYI ;)
I know :-P
ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

So are you gonna turn it into a real computer and install GNU/Linux on it? :P
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Mr Bean wrote:Its thin its light, but the question is...
Can it make tea?
No, macs are used for Coffee...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I'll admit you can do a few things with a Mac, but they are always far too expensive. I can see paying almost 3 grand for a high-end gaming laptop, your paying for desktop hardware shoved into a "mobile" shell (if you can call those 10pounders mobile, or laptops), but the mac? It's just costly, and if you play games; and we all do, it is almost completely worthless. You can't argue that, don't even try.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

InnocentBystander wrote:It's just costly, and if you play games; and we all do, it is almost completely worthless. You can't argue that, don't even try.
My games:

1) Duris

2) NetHack
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

ukamikazu wrote:So are you gonna turn it into a real computer and install GNU/Linux on it? :P
When I have BSD kernel? I get all my *nix stuff via an apt-get frontend
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

InnocentBystander wrote:I'll admit you can do a few things with a Mac, but they are always far too expensive. I can see paying almost 3 grand for a high-end gaming laptop, your paying for desktop hardware shoved into a "mobile" shell (if you can call those 10pounders mobile, or laptops), but the mac? It's just costly, and if you play games; and we all do, it is almost completely worthless. You can't argue that, don't even try.
This guy is starting to annoy me. There are uses for a computer other than games. :roll: And there are games, just a more limited selection.*

*Not a Mac user, a Linux user.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

InnocentBystander wrote:I'll admit you can do a few things with a Mac, but they are always far too expensive.
Their laptop line is generally competitive.

Lets compare, shall we?

IBM ThinkPad T41
Pentium-M 1.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB 5400RPM HD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
14.1" 1024x768 display, 32MB R7500 video
Gbit Ethernet, 802.11b/g WLAN
USB 2.0
4.5 lbs
$2379

Apple Powerbook G4 (15")
PowerPC 7447 1.33GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM (* Effectively SDR speeds)
60GB 4200RPM HD
DVD-R/CD-RW
15.2" 1280x854 display, 64MB R9700 video
Gbit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g WLAN, Bluetooth
USB 2.0, IEEE 1394a/b
5.7 lbs
$2299

The IBM laptop has a faster processor (P-M is better than G4e in both clockrate and IPC) and faster RAM. The Mac laptop has a much faster GPU, a DVD-R/CD-RW, FireWire and a larger (and higher-resolution) display. The IBM laptop probably has a bit higher build quality over the PB15.
I can see paying almost 3 grand for a high-end gaming laptop, your paying for desktop hardware shoved into a "mobile" shell (if you can call those 10pounders mobile, or laptops), but the mac?
People spend $3+ grand on non-gaming laptops. You should look at HP and IBM's "mobile workstation" laptops. They don't weigh 10 lbs either.
It's just costly, and if you play games; and we all do, it is almost completely worthless. You can't argue that, don't even try.
Um, no. You see, many people's primary use for computers, surprisingly enough, is not to play games. They are secondary considerations, and for his use his computer is more than sufficient. He may also like the 17" display.
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Nice, waiting for the G5 Powerbook myself.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Enjoy it. :wink:
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

phongn wrote: Their laptop line is generally competitive.

Lets compare, shall we?

IBM ThinkPad T41
Pentium-M 1.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB 5400RPM HD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
14.1" 1024x768 display, 32MB R7500 video
Gbit Ethernet, 802.11b/g WLAN
USB 2.0
4.5 lbs
$2379

Apple Powerbook G4 (15")
PowerPC 7447 1.33GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM (* Effectively SDR speeds)
60GB 4200RPM HD
DVD-R/CD-RW
15.2" 1280x854 display, 64MB R9700 video
Gbit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g WLAN, Bluetooth
USB 2.0, IEEE 1394a/b
5.7 lbs
$2299
IBM is hardly the best choice when talking about the average cost of a PC laptop, as they are probably the most expensive ones, and not really mainstream.

This is from Dell:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.7GHz,14.1 inch SXGA+ (1400X1050)
ATI 32MB Video (I guess a 7500, like IBM)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
512MB DDR SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
4x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R)
Wireless 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps)
TrueMobile™ 300 Bluetooth Internal Card
1.2" thick, less than 5 lbs

$1,979
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shogoki wrote:IBM is hardly the best choice when talking about the average cost of a PC laptop, as they are probably the most expensive ones, and not really mainstream.
Yes, but IBM laptops actually have good build quality and reliability ... unlike, say, Dell.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

That's not the point, really, you are paying less for more preformance, it's easy to find another company, if you look for it, and as crappy as Dell may be it represents the average price of a laptop PC better than IBM.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shogoki wrote:That's not the point, really, you are paying less for more preformance, it's easy to find another company, if you look for it, and as crappy as Dell may be it represents the average price of a laptop PC better than IBM.
I was not comparing mediocre consumer laptops. I was comparing high-quality laptops.