Civvies on Fed ships. Why?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Stormbringer wrote:And then he turned into a PC hippy idiot. :?
If the idea of integrating civilians aboard a Federation starship was Roddenberry's idea, then I'll have to assume that the Leftist leanings within Hollywood (no one denies that Hollywood is a meca of Liberalism and extreme Leftist ideals) likely persuaded him over time. Indeed, TOS demonstrated Liberal ideals for its time, but civilians were not aboard Constitution-class starships (to my knowledge), and the ship's crew seemed well-trained in general quarters drills and combat situations. TNG & clones appeared to move far to the left of TOS, integrating most of the accepted Liberal ideals of the day, including the concept of communism ("We've evolved beyond the need for money..."). So I wonder if Roddenberry didn't simply provide vague guidance, upon which Liberal writers and producers (who likely never served a day of military service) built the show.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

I know that these are attempts to justify the families-onboard policy. But I'm saying it can't be done, not on any level. It doesn't matter whether SF calls itself a navy or not--look at what they DO.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

oberon wrote:I know that these are attempts to justify the families-onboard policy. But I'm saying it can't be done, not on any level. It doesn't matter whether SF calls itself a navy or not--look at what they DO.
You have no idea how many times I posted your post about how Starfleet is a navy to crush those silly arguments.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Cool man, thNkz
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

jegs2 wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:And then he turned into a PC hippy idiot. :?
If the idea of integrating civilians aboard a Federation starship was Roddenberry's idea, then I'll have to assume that the Leftist leanings within Hollywood (no one denies that Hollywood is a meca of Liberalism and extreme Leftist ideals) likely persuaded him over time. Indeed, TOS demonstrated Liberal ideals for its time, but civilians were not aboard Constitution-class starships (to my knowledge), and the ship's crew seemed well-trained in general quarters drills and combat situations. TNG & clones appeared to move far to the left of TOS, integrating most of the accepted Liberal ideals of the day, including the concept of communism ("We've evolved beyond the need for money..."). So I wonder if Roddenberry didn't simply provide vague guidance, upon which Liberal writers and producers (who likely never served a day of military service) built the show.
He couldn't possibly have missed it. And he was to much of a control freak regarding TNG to allow that if he didn't intend it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

oberon wrote:Cool man, thNkz
No problem (I do credit you, of course).

It works quite well :)