Creating A Scifi Universe; A collaborative effort

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Oh, and in Space you can't patrol "borders" realistically. Only star systems.
Monitoring stations/planetoids would be nice.
Space is vast, and there's nothing actually 'in' it. Instead of having 'borders' think of it as 'oribital space' akin to 'fly zones' or 'territorial waters'. You'd have borders on settled worlds, assuming more than one faction settled on it; but in space? No way. There would probably be legalese that said 'x radius from y planet belongs to faction z' where 'x' is a determinable number, 'y' is either a planet or asteroid or some sort of habitat, and 'z' is the faction who controls 'y'. You can link this to FTL, making emergence 'zones' within this sphere. Any ship which emerges from jump at a point not within the sphere is suspect. Depending on legality it shouldn't be a crime to be in this sphere without authorisation or clearance, however trespassers should expect to be challenged.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Typhonis 1 wrote:more ground tech Camoflage has changed radicaly all vehicles utilise stealth and emission cloaking to one extent or another. optic camoflage on vehicles is thrugh the use of liquid crystal skin. A computer controlls the patterns and schemes allowing the vehice to blend in at worst it just gves a better paint job at best think Predator camoflage.
I don't think this is necessary. I think that, by the era we're talking about, the individual soldier would have almost certainly achieved Stormtrooper-style body armor. Fully enclosed NBC suit, climate control, visual aids in the helmet visor, impact armor, etc.

That sort of active visual camoflauge would actually be a liability, as it would stand out even more brightly on the IR spectrum.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The kind of iterative gengineering the Superior practice takes a long time, you only really get to field-test a change once per generation, so that's why I gave them such rudimentary technology otherwise. The Conclave needed a century or two of isolation to develop to its current point, hence the rediscovery by a scout vessel is a recent event, they've not yet had /time/ to absorb the technology of others. As for a religion, they've already got a genetically-docile population, do they need the strictures of worship to keep their populace in line? Could even reduce efficiency from their perspective, Pure spending time on the worship of their 'gods' instead of doing productive work.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I doubt you could completely engineer out hope/independence, so a religion would tie up any loose ends that gengineering didn't.

BTW, genegineering is a word I invented. I think it fits, don't you?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Geneering is cleaner. :P 8)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Y'didn't invent it, but yeah, I always liked it :) Not sure if the Superior would deliberately create such a religion, but as they are effectively Creator figures, I could see the Pure worshipping them, and the Superior eventually encouraging that.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I doubt you could completely engineer out hope/independence, so a religion would tie up any loose ends that gengineering didn't.
ImaGengineering!

*rimshot*

Personally, I'd like to see more "non-special" nations, i.e., not centered among specific groups such as psionics or genetecists. Most nations aren't formed on the basis of providing a monocultural homeland (only parallels I can think of offhand is the Pilgrims forming New England and the creation of Pakistan).
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

The freehold is pretty non-special, and some of the Mars territories as well.
ImageImage
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Bob McDob wrote:Personally, I'd like to see more "non-special" nations, i.e., not centered among specific groups such as psionics or genetecists. Most nations aren't formed on the basis of providing a monocultural homeland (only parallels I can think of offhand is the Pilgrims forming New England and the creation of Pakistan).
Eden is pretty much non-special.
--The Lord Humungus
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Conversely, I'd think you'd see a lot more of that kind of nation in a setting with a constantly-available frontier. If any group that wants to be alone can simply /leave/ and find a planet no one else owns yet for their own, that's a wildly different case than on Earth, where said group would have to wage bloody war for every square foot of their new home by taking it from someone else.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Yes, but not everyone can leave earth and not everyone can afford to build a new colony. The first waves will likely be corporate, then you might see special-interest groups and waves of ethnic migration.
ImageImage
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

is it possible to telll where the gravity well of a planet ends?? If so that could be the "12 mile limit" as far as police and laws go
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Typhonis 1 wrote:is it possible to telll where the gravity well of a planet ends?? If so that could be the "12 mile limit" as far as police and laws go
What are you talking about? For earth, I'd say they consider a threat anything that comes closer than the Moon, that is 250,000 miles. More agressive people might establish larger defense perimeters.
ImageImage
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

sorry just an idea What I mean CaptainChebacca is that "international space" is considered outside the gravity well of the planet you are on IE I`m certain that Earths Gravity well extends well beyond the Moon. Much like once tyou get 12 miles from the mainland in the ocean you are in international waters
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Tentative idea. Want feedback before I design in detail.

League Of Ignored Powers

In politics, the big boys lead and everyone else makes sure they're not underfoot. However, the expanding borders of space have made for an interesting place, with many peoples wandering to the edge and perhaps a bit farther. In hopes of not being steamrolled by the larger mega-states, these 'Ignored Powers' have signed an alliance of sorts, agreeing to a pooling of resources towards armed forces capable of defense and offense when necessary, and of a united front on issues that may effect their far-flung homes.

I'm making up a few nation-states as part of it, and I could see a few lesser Earth countries signing up with the League, since their own economies don't allow for space travel, and the League will give them access to their fleet in exchange for their part of the payments.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

SirNitram wrote:Tentative idea. Want feedback before I design in detail.

League Of Ignored Powers

In politics, the big boys lead and everyone else makes sure they're not underfoot. However, the expanding borders of space have made for an interesting place, with many peoples wandering to the edge and perhaps a bit farther. In hopes of not being steamrolled by the larger mega-states, these 'Ignored Powers' have signed an alliance of sorts, agreeing to a pooling of resources towards armed forces capable of defense and offense when necessary, and of a united front on issues that may effect their far-flung homes.

I'm making up a few nation-states as part of it, and I could see a few lesser Earth countries signing up with the League, since their own economies don't allow for space travel, and the League will give them access to their fleet in exchange for their part of the payments.
Sounds good. I'm guessing these guys are an alternative to the freeholders, and it sounds like a UN with a bit more of a mutual defense pact. I would love to see what you have in mind for the League's overall policy, and if you'd like to post a few of your smaller nations (single-world nations, I assume) I'm sure you'll get good feedback.

But, you'll have to come up with a better name :P League of Non-Aligned... :wink:
ImageImage
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

I'm not ripping off B5. :P And I like the name; it's irreverent and an insult to the bigger power blocs. Which is just like the League likes it.

The League's Charter declares that the League Of Ignored Powers proper is a military, Diplomat Corps, and 'Context Services'.

The military is funded by pooling resources from members. The percentage of GDP donated to the League is agreed upon at the time of a nation's entrance, and can be re-negotiated at yearly summits.

The Diplomat Corps is charged with two missions: The first is obvious, to speak as a united voice for the League to the rest of the Galaxy. With the number of disparate ideals, interests, and individuals of power in the League, this would be enough of a job as it was. But they are also charged with a second duty: To act as intermediary for intra-League affairs.

Context Services is an odd name developed by the think-tanks of Binarus. However, odd name aside, it is a vital part of the League's function. It provides a universal currency, readily changable for all member nation currencies, for use in the outside galaxy or for inter-nation deals. It provides a commodity and stock exchange. It provides a language, though this language is incredibly simple and geared towards trade negotiations. Last but not least, it serves as a learning centre for engineers and scientists of member nations, teaching them the concepts and mechanics of the very different technologies employed by those of the League.

Member States:

Binarus, the founders and First Signers. One of the nations founded by the exodus of 'persecuted' peoples, Binarus originally had no human citizens. Instead, it was entirely populated by Artificial and Genuine Intelligences capable of sentience. These machines are relatively docile compared to mankind's nightmares of killer robots and evil AI's, but they do prefer to be left to their own devices instead of serving humanity, and are more than willing to fight back to preserve this freedom. They created the League to protect this independence, and are one of the largest sources of military funding. For this reason, their resistance of motions that would make the League more controlling of it's member states has prevented such from becoming so.

Enclave, Second Signers. The Enclave was a STL Colony Fleet, and, following their contact with the Binarus and signing of the League Charter, have become an FTL Colony Fleet. When asked for a date on when they will finally settle their colony, an Enclaver will most likely shrug and smile. Their ships have grown over the centuries to become massive worldships, stopping in systems only enough to mine asteroids for resources and then continue their roaming. Due to the massive size of their ships and nomadic nature, the Enclave has become economically powerful as bulk traders. Their signing of the Charter was primarily for protection from a state-of-the-art fleet as they continue their explorations of furthest space.

Other concepts:

A corporate state, specifically a starship production corporation. Their motivation is largely greed; signing on with the League gives them a quick and instant contract for lots of starships, til the end of time.

An 'Archipeligo' of beach worlds, none of them developed enough to be a full nation, but very much a good cross-section of vacation spots, and thus tourism. Joined the League to avoid being overrun and claimed by a larger nation.

In addition, any notable nations which are not in the power blocs, and any small nations people come up with, could easily be plopped into the League.

League Polictics. As they are many disparate parts, the League's voice is rarely truly unified. The only true issues that can be agreed upon are military in nature and dealing with the rest of the galaxy: The protection of encroachment on their borders(Which the League officially declares to be the Heliopause of their inhabited systems and twenty AU around any Enclave worldship, but more often come to mean 'Anywhere we feel like we can exert power'.), and retribution strikes on those who threaten or harm their members. Economic policy is completely free market; anyone who can reach a League member world or worldship can do business there, subject to security concerns(The Enclave has big problems with antimatter torpedos being brought on their Worldships, let alone sold there!). International policy tends to be cold to the large powers, who most Leaguers view as elitist and distant. They're very much generous with other small powers and the Freeholders, and perhaps a little naive in beleiving other insignifigant power groups to be safe.

Of course, politics in the League are ruthless to the extreme. Each newly finished fleet is vied for constantly; who will command, who will supply, and so forth. While the Fleets are forbidden in the Charter to participate in any intra-League war, their political and economic power is still a potent weapon, used with refined cunning by bickering powermongers.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

SirNitram wrote:A corporate state, specifically a starship production corporation. Their motivation is largely greed; signing on with the League gives them a quick and instant contract for lots of starships, til the end of time.
God, you know, this takes me back. Takes me back to the ASVS STGOD, when I was playing a corporate state that produced starships and joined the League of Ignored Powers. :lol:
--The Lord Humungus
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
SirNitram wrote:A corporate state, specifically a starship production corporation. Their motivation is largely greed; signing on with the League gives them a quick and instant contract for lots of starships, til the end of time.
God, you know, this takes me back. Takes me back to the ASVS STGOD, when I was playing a corporate state that produced starships and joined the League of Ignored Powers. :lol:
So THAT'S where that one came from! I knew it from somewhere, and it kept kicking the back of my mind...

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I like it. Eden probably would have joined the League at some point. So, now there's the Earth Powers, Freeholders (who probably have friendly ties with the Enclave), Signans, and Psions in addition to the league.
ImageImage
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:But, you'll have to come up with a better name :P League of Non-Aligned... :wink:
Already taken by B5.

What about the Independent League instead?

And I'll start work on the elusive aliens of mine - the Ncha.

Here's a few things I have decided on the Ncha already:

- Their political system is collectively-oriented... we would probably call it socialist.
- Their architecture are dominated by pentagonal asymmetrical patterns.
- Ruins of Ncha settlement are often found on newly colonized planets.
- They're generally considered extinct, but it will later be discovered that there's a few of them left.
- Ancient Ncha artifacts often show up and are extremely technologically advanced. Numerous attempts have been made to reverse-engineer it, usually without success.
- They were brought to their knees by a mysterious, shadowy foe only mentioned fleetinly in the text they left behind.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Work on the Ncha, but don't post them just yet. Aliens can be a huge can of worms in this universe, and we don't want to unbalance. Also, it seems like people want few alien races, so regular contributors to this thread may be allowed, if they check it with me, to submit aliens to the universe.

God, I sound like a pompus ass, but I don't want this to turn into "my aliens can beat your faction".

Anyone who thinks they have a good alien race PM me with the details. It looks like we have humans down enough that this week we can start adding some aliens.
ImageImage
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Y'know, it would be great if we could make ourselves a small forum to do this grand experiment. One thread won't cut it. Maybe you guys could join Omniverse Zero *points at sig*? :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Couple things to think about, some of them popular, some not (I more or less wrote down whatever popped into my mind, and it's late):

- What is the primary language people speak? English? Mandarin Chinese? Esperanto? Are there any popular dialects, like ebonics or cockney? What sort of idioms and slang do they use? In the case of professionals, like military types or scientists, what's their jargon?

- What are Earth cities like? Are they giant, Coruscant-like labyrinths of towering pillars stretching above the land as far as the eye can see? (Probably be hell to live in). Venice-like neo-renaissance pedestrian towns? The same as today?

- What do people wear? What are the fashion trends? Futuristic space pajamies in primary colors? Retro-futuristic togas? See-through underwear?

- What is the state of popular entertainment? Is there a television-equivilant (probably the ever-popular holovision)? If so, how is it viewed? A static, one-directional view (like modern television), or one viewable from all directions, a la theater of the round? Maybe a personal 3D-goggles version? Would a complex, multi-directional setup be required (probably limiting holovision to prearranged situations such as movies or drama), or does a magic 3D camera lens exist?

What about music? Has modern music gone the way of modern arts and become an experimental cacophany of randomly arranged synthesizers? Is it like rap with an orchestral arrangement?

- What advances have medical technology made? Lifespans? Have any major diseases been cured? Cancer? AIDS? Ebola? The common cold? Are there any new and horrific plagues that have desceneded from the heavens to smash pathetic mankind in its arrogance?

Also, what about cosmetic surgery? Bodily "enhancements?" Does society frown upon such things, or can any twelve-year old go to the local parlor and get liposuction and adamantium claws grafted onto their hands?

- What is the state of religion? Are they for the most part the same as today? Is humanity in general becoming more atheistic (thus angering the super-fundamentalists), or are more people embracing it as a result of the loneliness and emptiness of space? Pehaps a new religion is displacing the old ones, based on mankind's penetration of outer space Have any new Buddhas, Jesusii, Mohammads come about to found such a religion?

There's probably more, but I forgot.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, I can't answer all of them but I think that atheism should grow some more. If humanity is to progress, secularism should rise and stupidstitions should decline. We could have cloned limbs and eyes for injured people, we could have gene therapy helping those with defects, we could have governments with minimal corruption from religions.

And this would be neat as it would promote fundies to transmogrify into something analogous to Al-Quaeda :)

Present religions should still exist in strong numbers though, but idiots would either be extinct or trying to make themselves extinct (suicide bombers :P).

Would be neat to see the media portray fundies as blood thirsty building bombing, starship crashing freaks.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!