DS9 hull strength

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

evilcat4000 wrote:Pulse disruptors do seem to be more powerful than beam phasers. In "Rascals" an ancient BOP was able to drop the Enterprises shields within seconds using pulse disruptors only.
How can we compare pulse disrupters to phasers in terms of time taken to drop the Enterprise's shields when, IIRC, we haven't seen Federation phasers striking the Ent-D?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

We did see Voyger strike the Equinox with phasers and photon torpedoes. Even after five torpedo hits and numerous phaser blasts the much weaker Equinox still had shields.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

evilcat4000 wrote:
That or Klingon disruptors can deliver more firepower than Fed phasers.
Pulse disruptors do seem to be more powerful than beam phasers. In "Rascals" an ancient BOP was able to drop the Enterprises shields within seconds using pulse disruptors only.
Actually, there were two B'Rels*, and they damaged the E-D before Worf fully powered the shields.

Btw, how did starship disruptors and phasers come into this? I thought people were comparing a hand-held disruptor's effects on a GCS warp core ("Heart of Glory") to Torres' phaser fire in "Dreadnaught"?

*In spite of Okuda's B'Rel--scout, K'Vort--cruiser rationalization, those classes are the same size. "Rascals" simply reused a shot of K'Vorts attacking the E-D from "Yesterday's Enterprise."
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

seanrobertson wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:
That or Klingon disruptors can deliver more firepower than Fed phasers.
Pulse disruptors do seem to be more powerful than beam phasers. In "Rascals" an ancient BOP was able to drop the Enterprises shields within seconds using pulse disruptors only.
Actually, there were two B'Rels*, and they damaged the E-D before Worf fully powered the shields.

Btw, how did starship disruptors and phasers come into this? I thought people were comparing a hand-held disruptor's effects on a GCS warp core ("Heart of Glory") to Torres' phaser fire in "Dreadnaught"?

*In spite of Okuda's B'Rel--scout, K'Vort--cruiser rationalization, those classes are the same size. "Rascals" simply reused a shot of K'Vorts attacking the E-D from "Yesterday's Enterprise."
Do we know they're the same size? Is there a comparison shot? Because I've seen shots where a BOP was flying between the camera and a Negh'var and wasn't even the size of the bridge section. And others with BOPs that were clearly close to the E-D in size (based on shots past the E-D at the BOPs). So BOPs do come in various sizes. Are you saying otherwise, or just that the two episodes above used the same class? Obviously they intended the ships to be the same if they used the same shot, but writers' intent doesn't override canon evidence to the contrary if there is any.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Obviously they intended the ships to be the same if they used the same shot
:lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone just said "Hey, we've already got some footage of BOPs attacking the Enterprise from Yesterday's Enterprise, let's just recycle that."
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Metrion Cascade wrote: Do we know they're the same size? Is there a comparison shot?
Yes, ma'am, we do :)

The exterior shots of the BoPs in "Rascals" were stock footage from "Yesterday's Enterprise."

A quick comparison...

From "Y.E.":

Obviously, it'd be pointless to scale the Bird closest to the camera. The one in the distance, however, is ~290m wide (lower-limit) to the E-D's 470m beam.

From "Rascals":

Though this shot is closer-up, it's the same drill and same results.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Obviously they intended the ships to be the same if they used the same shot
:lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone just said "Hey, we've already got some footage of BOPs attacking the Enterprise from Yesterday's Enterprise, let's just recycle that."
That's exactly what they did :lol:

I'm also quite certain that much of the battle in "Redemption pt. I," including what we see on Bortas' viewscreen, re-used "Y.E." footage.
-Al Swearengen

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Opps!
Last edited by Chris OFarrell on 2004-06-07 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Chris OFarrell wrote:snip
Chris, I think your targeting system's damaged. Shouldn't this be in the 'Origins of the Scimitar' thread? :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Batman wrote:
Chris OFarrell wrote:snip
Chris, I think your targeting system's damaged. Shouldn't this be in the 'Origins of the Scimitar' thread? :P
*smashes head against wall*
Thats what you get with two monitors with SD.net windows open on both :)
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

seanrobertson wrote:
Metrion Cascade wrote: Do we know they're the same size? Is there a comparison shot?
Yes, ma'am, we do :)

The exterior shots of the BoPs in "Rascals" were stock footage from "Yesterday's Enterprise."

A quick comparison...

From "Y.E.":

*image removed*

Obviously, it'd be pointless to scale the Bird closest to the camera. The one in the distance, however, is ~290m wide (lower-limit) to the E-D's 470m beam.

From "Rascals":

*image removed*

Though this shot is closer-up, it's the same drill and same results.
Perhaps Worf was wrong then. Those two BoP are the same size as K'Vort class Cruisers! 8)
Milites Astrum Exterminans
TurboPhaser
Padawan Learner

Post by TurboPhaser »

Alyeska wrote:
Gandalf wrote:The only other thing I can think of as a hull strength indicator is when a Jem' Hadar ship blasts a docking arm off.
Nope, never happened.
IIRC no Federation ships died of a core breach in the fleet engagements either.

So, the Fed's safety procedures cant be that bad.

Besides, if a core did go off in all that close fighting, end of battle I would think.

My theory about the Cardassian ship, is that it's warp systems were not active due to it just leaving DS9. So, it's warp systems may have been isolated from the rest of the ship at that time to prevent a core breach, should an explosion occur.

Just my 2c.
Voyager summed up in 1 quote:

Neelix: These people dont appreciate what they have! This ship is the match of anything in a hundred lightyears, yet what do they do with it?
(fake voice) Oh, well lets go find some space anomaly today that'll rip it apart!

- Voy: 'The Cloud'
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

My theory about the Cardassian ship, is that it's warp systems were not active due to it just leaving DS9. So, it's warp systems may have been isolated from the rest of the ship at that time to prevent a core breach, should an explosion occur.
That is possible. In the Voyger episode about rogue holograms it is indicated that warp engines need some time to power up.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.