Decent MP3 player with library browser for Linux?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

JediToren
Padawan Learner

Decent MP3 player with library browser for Linux?

Post by JediToren »

Well after reading Wong's pages about Mandrake Ive loaded it up and I must say I love it. So fast and light compared to windblows. Lots of apps, its just freakin' awesome.

Anyway, I'm looking for an MP3 player app with a music library browser similar to the one in the current version of Winamp or in MusicMatch Jukebox. I've spent a few hours on google trying to find something but the only thing I've come up with so far are references to MusicMatch for Linux, which was apparently released several years ago but now is no where to be found (along with their mac version).

Any suggestions?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The only media library program I know about is RhythmBox.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Google for XMMS, Beep Media Player, Rhythmbox, Juk, or Zinf. I use Rhythmbox myself, but it lacks MP3 tag editing.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

A bit OT, but:

I have a dual boot system with Winblows XP (Diiieeee!) and Red Hat Linux 9.
RedHat is extremely hard to use. I'm sure I could figure it out, given a lot of time and maybe a "RedHat Linux for dummies" book, but I really want an OS I don't have to study to use.

My laptop runs Mac OS X, and I've fiddled in the unix Terminal when I felt like it, and I'm taking Cisco certification (CCNA) so I'm not a computer newbie here ;) In windows I can be considered a power user (I've hacked Explorer.exe and my start button, which is now the Praxis button and says "click here to begin crashing your system"), but I really can't stand the bugginess of Windows, which is why I'm slowly switching to Mac (need more money before I buy a G5 to replace the desktop you know ;) ).

I've heard good things about Mandrake Linux. Two questions:
1) Where can I download it? Mandrake.com wants me to buy it.
2) Is it easier to use than RedHat? I want to install WINE and WineX. I've gotten Wine working but I can't install any programs (RedHat), and I've got the source code for WineX but can't get it compiled (I tried to download GCC but every place I tried only had the SOURCE CODE for the compiler! It makes no sense!!!).
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Mandrake is trying to guilt-trip you into buying the download- you can claim that you plan to join the club... anyway, if you use it you should pay.

As for installation of programs, you should use your distro's installer to install packages. The reason why people like Fedora and Debian is that installing software and updates is a lot easier without having to download and burn ISOs, and dependencies are handled.

Download from here:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Thing is, what I wanted to install, (WineX) was only available in source code unless I paid money for the package, and I couldn't figure out how to compile it...:(

Thanks for the link, dling now! (I had to use ISO's to install RedHat anyway)
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

You do know how to use CVS to obtain it for compiling, right? The actual compiling should be rather straightforward though.

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Yeah, took a LOT of work (there were no good tutorials on "how to download source code from CVS in UNIX", everyone assumed I knew how to do it) but I got it from CVS.

Problem was, I don't have GCC installed. I tried to get it, but it was only available in source code.

And even ignoring that, I'm not a programmer- I've never compiled anything in my life.

Well, at the time anyway- I recently compiled DarWINE on my Mac, just to learn how to do it, so NOW I know how to compile, but I still don't have the compiler for RH.

I finally gave up- the interface felt a bit clunky, it was slow as heck, and I couldn't get it to work (and my wireless card doesn't support Linux, yay!)/

However, I assume these were deficiencies in RedHat. I've heard a lot of good things about Mandrake, and I really want to find a Linux distro I can use and still run my games in (last I heard, SFC was supported in WineX, so hopefully that'll work...same for JK2).

I mainly use my computer for surfing the internet, hosting my apache based web server, and playing SFC3 and a couple other games (most of which are supported by WineX).
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Go to Freshrpms.net and learn how to configure APT for RPM. It will make your life much less painful. Then all you have to do is:

Code: Select all

apt-get install gcc
Last edited by phongn on 2004-06-11 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

Praxis wrote:Yeah, took a LOT of work (there were no good tutorials on "how to download source code from CVS in UNIX", everyone assumed I knew how to do it) but I got it from CVS.

Problem was, I don't have GCC installed. I tried to get it, but it was only available in source code.

And even ignoring that, I'm not a programmer- I've never compiled anything in my life.

Well, at the time anyway- I recently compiled DarWINE on my Mac, just to learn how to do it, so NOW I know how to compile, but I still don't have the compiler for RH.
Mandrake is an RPM based distro, no compiling is neccesary (though you really should learn how). Go to your command line and type "man urpmi" or "info urpmi".
This will allow you to not only update your system over the Internet, but allow you to query packages, download them and resolve dependencies.
I hope that helped.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

WineX isn't available precompiled for free.

As for APT-RPM- still not as good as apt-get or aptitude for .debs :P .

ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

I apologize for not clarifying, but what I meant to say was use urpmi (or gurpmi) to install gcc perhaps saving you some trouble and effort.
As far as WineX, don't they give out the source and it's the precompiled binaries that you have to pay for? And even then, I don't think you get the whole source because they use a lot of other third party stuff with different licenses.
Terrible, terrible...
JediToren
Padawan Learner

Thanks

Post by JediToren »

Thanks to you folks I am now using RythmBox, and I love it. Thanks for the tips.

One last question:

Can you guys recommend a decent anti-virus app for Linux?
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Re: Thanks

Post by Pu-239 »

JediToren wrote:Thanks to you folks I am now using RythmBox, and I love it. Thanks for the tips.

One last question:

Can you guys recommend a decent anti-virus app for Linux?
Don't need one :P .

JediToren
Padawan Learner

Post by JediToren »

And just why not?
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Linux viruses are for practical purposes nonexistent (though worms exploiting services is a different matter, but that's a job for the firewall (built into Linux).

Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

There are antivirus software for Linux, but they are meant to prevent Linux mail servers from transferring infected mail to Windows computers or to clean windows viruses off of file servers- a free one is http://www.clamav.net/