Any "Ripperologists" Here?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Any "Ripperologists" Here?

Post by Lord Poe »

I just started reading Patricia Cornwell's book, "Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper-- Case Closed", in whicch she names Walter Sickert as the Ripper. She used 21st century DNA tersting and other modern day forensic techniques on several things, along with a ton of circumstantial evidence to paint a character profile of Sickert that points to him.

I just started reading the book, (barely on page 50) but I decided to look online and see what the reaction to the book was. Well, "ripperologists" seem to think this book is the biggest piece of trash to ever come out about the Ripper!

Since I can relate to these guys due to the current crap on sw.com, I read their "dissertations" against the book. And although I haven't finished it yet, their nitpicks seem extremely thin. It looks like most of the criticism comes from the fact that A: she's a woman, and B: she's American.

They piss and moan that the Ripper letters that were sent to police by "Jack The Ripper" were all fakes. (It seems writing Ripper letters was a London pastttime in 1888, that lasted until the 1960's) However, they do concede that Cornwell at least proved that Sickert MAY HAVE "hoaxed" one of the letters. (Never been proven before) .

They also point out that Sickert was in France during the killings. But they do point out, as Cornwell does, that regular ferry service to and from France was available back then. That would make an excellent alibi, wouldn't it? Coupled with the fact that Sickert, a trained actor, loved to "dress up" in disguise and prowl the streets so transformed that friends and family didn't recognize him.

There's WAY too much to go into, but I'm not about to go toe to toe with "Ripperologists". Trekkies were enough! Has anyone read the book, or have an interest in Ripper-mania?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

:roll: We all know that Jack the Ripper is in cryo-stasis on the Vorlon homeworld.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Damnit! You beat me to it.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Dalton wrote::roll: We all know that Jack the Ripper is in cryo-stasis on the Vorlon homeworld.
Hehehe! Maybe King Arthur is guarding him, eh?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Lord Poe wrote:
Dalton wrote::roll: We all know that Jack the Ripper is in cryo-stasis on the Vorlon homeworld.
Hehehe! Maybe King Arthur is guarding him, eh?
You know, I wouldn't have been surprised if he actually WAS Arthur.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Don't lie! We all know that he's actually floating in space near Argelius, plotting his revenge.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I thought a "Ripperologist" was someone who studies and catagorizes farts according to length and stench.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

unfortunately I don't know the history very well, despite an interest, but I did read a very convincing article on it's publication, by Sickert's biographer, whcih mentioned that Cornwell had got her dates wrong somewhere: some of the evidence presented against him did not coincide with his actual movements/the killings (sorry, very vague memory)

Anyway, why does it have to be a famous person? That's always puzzled me about Ripperology.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

InnerBrat wrote:Anyway, why does it have to be a famous person? That's always puzzled me about Ripperology.
Simply because only famous people can be raving homicidal maniacs. :roll:
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

InnerBrat wrote:Anyway, why does it have to be a famous person? That's always puzzled me about Ripperology.

Something about him being highly educated i think, therefore Rich, therefore famous.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

InnerBrat wrote:unfortunately I don't know the history very well, despite an interest, but I did read a very convincing article on it's publication, by Sickert's biographer, whcih mentioned that Cornwell had got her dates wrong somewhere: some of the evidence presented against him did not coincide with his actual movements/the killings (sorry, very vague memory)

Anyway, why does it have to be a famous person? That's always puzzled me about Ripperology.
If i remember your last response to it, Sickert had an alibi for some of the murders, at least.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
ukamikazu
Youngling

Re: Any "Ripperologists" Here?

Post by ukamikazu »

Lord Poe wrote:I just started reading Patricia Cornwell's book, "Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper-- Case Closed", in whicch she names Walter Sickert as the Ripper. She used 21st century DNA tersting and other modern day forensic techniques on several things, along with a ton of circumstantial evidence to paint a character profile of Sickert that points to him.

Since I can relate to these guys due to the current crap on sw.com, I read their "dissertations" against the book. And although I haven't finished it yet, their nitpicks seem extremely thin. It looks like most of the criticism comes from the fact that A: she's a woman, and B: she's American.

They also point out that Sickert was in France during the killings. But they do point out, as Cornwell does, that regular ferry service to and from France was available back then. That would make an excellent alibi, wouldn't it? Coupled with the fact that Sickert, a trained actor, loved to "dress up" in disguise and prowl the streets so transformed that friends and family didn't recognize him.
So, how does she explain the incidental appearances of Dr. Francis Twombletee? The timing of his movements between the US and England, his arrests for smuggling contraband (preserved human sexual organs) etc, etc.
I always thought Twombletee was good for it. Does she even mention him?