Army to finally adopt new uniforms

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Army to finally adopt new uniforms

Post by Master of Ossus »

It's about time the US Army got new uniforms, though I don't really see how these provide much better camoflauge protection than the old ones. Seems like a compromise to allow one uniform to provide minimal concealment in a wide range of areas, rather than offering good concealment in a single type of terrain.
Last edited by Master of Ossus on 2004-06-14 10:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

:wtf:

That is fugly. Just fugly. That even tops the Air Force's blue tigerstripe cammies.

I wonder how much use a gray uniform would have. And that demo pic was really funy, with the contrast of the body armor. I wonder how effective this thing really is...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

*breaks down and cries*

My beloved army!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

What.....the FUCK is velcro doing on a battle dress? Nothing like a nice loud ripping noise to ruin your surprise?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

*cringes* That is an awful uniform. Very bad idea imo to mix all three traits into one... :cry:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

MKSheppard wrote:*snips*
By the look of his face, he isn't too happy either.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Yep......

The uniform is being produced in a single, universal pattern to replace the two camouflage versions in current use: tan-brown for desert use and green-brown-black for woodland settings.

Yep, this works GREAT:

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Looks like some weirdo scifi fascist regime military thingy.

Almost reminds me of Starship Troopers really...
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Once again the army tries to follow our lead and fails, badly. :P

The Marines new BDU's have an abundence of tanish bland color that would be effective in woodland or desert type regions. Seems the Army went for the gucci flauge scheme with a niffty grey color that just blends in well with......nothing. :roll:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Soontir C'boath

Knife wrote:Seems the Army went for the gucci flauge scheme with a niffty grey color that just blends in well with......nothing. :roll:
Except maybe the tundras of Russia. :lol:
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Knife wrote:Seems the Army went for the gucci flauge scheme with a niffty grey color that just blends in well with......nothing. :roll:
Even then, white overalls are issued in artic or winter mountain conditions that cover up the massive amounts of green colored, cold weather gear you wear. :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

Is it just me or does the new army uniform look a bit too bright to blend in its surroundings effectively?
Concession accepted - COMMENCE PRIMARY IGNITION
Elite Warrior Monk of SD.net
BotM. Demolition Monkey
"I don't believe in God, any more than I believe in Mother Goose." - Clarence Darrow
HAB Special-Ops and Counter-Intelligence Agent
Soontir C'boath

Knife wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:
Even then, white overalls are issued in artic or winter mountain conditions that cover up the massive amounts of green colored, cold weather gear you wear. :wink:
Headlines:US Army cannot afford white overalls anymore to go with regular uniform. :wink:
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

jaeger115 wrote:Is it just me or does the new army uniform look a bit too bright to blend in its surroundings effectively?
To me it looks too fucking stupidly designed to blend in with a background consisting of its own pattern. We might as well go back to plain khaki, it would work better then this monstrosity.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Good gravy, even a solid brown uniform would have looked like better camo than having soldiers muck about in that light grey/sorta light grey eyesore (they're actually supposed to not stick out like sore grey thumbs in desert or forests with that?) .

Not to mention be less ugly. Kwazy.
By His Word...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, the Navy could probably use it to, uh, blend in with our ships.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Knife wrote:The Marines new BDU's have an abundence of tanish bland color that would be effective in woodland or desert type regions. Seems the Army went for the gucci flauge scheme with a niffty grey color that just blends in well with......nothing. :roll:
Seriously, I have my doubts about that digital pattern, I would have
preferred it if they had made the different colors blend into each other
with curvy lines, and larger color splotches, because at distance, stuff
with small dots like the USMC uniform blends into a single color.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I don't mind the DESIGN of the uniform, but the pattern sucks ass. It seems like the Army just wanted something to blend in a little bit with everything, rather than something that could actually provide reasonable levels of concealability in various environments. In short, I like the design of the uniform (and I don't really see anything wrong with velcro--I've worn things with velcro in the areas they're talking about and they're not at all likely to reveal one's position unless you're trying to undo them on purpose), but the pattern is still abysmally revealing in all types of terrain.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

No wonder they're making them to be more effective with the Interceptor body armor.....
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

RogueIce wrote:
Well, the Navy could probably use it to, uh, blend in with our ships.
The design I've seen makes it look like we're going to be SG teams with straight gray colors. :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I suppose it can blend in with a grey, blown out concrete cityscape, but other than that it looks pretty useless.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Looks like the Army is taking cues from Stormtroopers. :wtf:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

If there were a god, I'd be on my knees every night thanking Him/Her/It for my flight suit. May it never be touched.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

[wormhole extreme]As a matter of fact, it does say Colonel on my uniform![/wormhole extreme]
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage