Army to finally adopt new uniforms

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Well the Swedish army atleast has a nicer uniform.

jegs2 wrote:I have to cough up a lot of money for those things.
Damn you have to buy your own uniform?

We got one set eatch year and if it broke we just returned the damaged part and got a new one.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I have to cough up a lot of money for those things.
Good to know the Marian reforms haven't hit the US yet .... :P
he Army revealed on Monday a redesigned combat uniform with a digital camouflage pattern that looks strikingly different from soldiers' current battle dress uniforms.

:roll:

Oooooooooooh! It's a digital pattern! Not analog! :roll:
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I have say to that even the finnish M-91 uniforms look better then this and we finns have not been in any war since WW2.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Faram wrote:Well the Swedish army atleast has a nicer uniform.

The pattern is actually good at distance!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
GySgt. Hartman
Jedi Knight

Post by GySgt. Hartman »

Three more questions:
-Why are the new uniforms so much more expensive?
-Who is producing them?
-How are they connected to the decision-makers?
"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon,
you will be a minister of death, praying for war." - GySgt. Hartman

"God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill everything we see." - GySgt. Hartman
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

MKSheppard wrote:Yep......

The uniform is being produced in a single, universal pattern to replace the two camouflage versions in current use: tan-brown for desert use and green-brown-black for woodland settings.

Yep, this works GREAT:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ ... _wx105.jpg
I'm guessing the bright red neon bullseye is optional.
:D
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

The uniform is being produced in a single, universal pattern to replace the two camouflage versions in current use: tan-brown for desert use and green-brown-black for woodland settings.

Yep, this works GREAT:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ ... _wx105.jpg
I'm guessing the bright red neon bullseye is optional, as is the little speaker that plays a Star Spangled Banner midi whenever the soldier goes prone.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

New Zealand!
"Ok you guys just keep blending in with the road, we'll be over here if you need anything."

Dear mod - please fix my last post, was meant to be an edit but didn't realise that wasn't possible until it was too late.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

No reference point for patches (pockets on old BDUs) Rank not on collar anymore...Oh, and, I wonder if the Army in it's "Seemingly" infinite wisdom, will change the colors on it's patches (Note the air assault, airborne patches on dude's uniform several posts up) to better match this uniform.

Oh- and my first thought when I saw shep's pic?

"They've done it. They've turned the U.S. Army French."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Looks more German to me. Feldgrau, even. Blech. Bad vibes.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I'm glad I'm out of the Army. The color sucks all the way around, should have stuck with two diffrent environment colors. I don't mind velcro, but zippers belong on flight suits and Navy blue jeans and no wear else in the military! The new boots may not be to bad, especially the no need to polish part.
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

I notice the rank insignia has been moved around to the front, alot like the standard issue British stuff.
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Deathstalker wrote:I'm glad I'm out of the Army. The color sucks all the way around, should have stuck with two diffrent environment colors. I don't mind velcro, but zippers belong on flight suits and Navy blue jeans and no wear else in the military! The new boots may not be to bad, especially the no need to polish part.
HEY! You need zippers on dress uniforms too! Kinda important seeing as that's what I'm wearing 80% of the time...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It seems the Pentagon has taken the Jerry Bruckheimer approach. They send out these customer reply cards, add up the things the customers say they want and - PRESTO! -the new product follows the checklist without any regard for how badly the new product sucks.

They probably switched to feldgrau because neither green nor brown offers much concealment in city streets. The collar and pockets are supposed to go with this new armor. Velcro? :lol: Why not a flashing red light on the cover, while they're at it? The color is an example of compromise gone too far. They want to go cheap (instead of Khaki for desert, green for woods, grey for streets) and have a uni in a color that isn't quite brown, green or grey. So it will now offer inferior concealment in THREE environments! :lol:

What the schmucks who tailored this uniform have forgotten is that when it comes to camo, more important than color is breakup of the body's outline. That's why black-and-yellow leopards are so hard to spot.

The Swedish and NZ uniform makers have caught on to this idea, as have most other countries -including the current US uniform. These unis will bury more people than the yearly Christmas layoffs at Paramount. Jeez! :roll:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Yep, this works GREAT:

Actually, if this guy ever needs to conceal himself near the marble staircase in the Supreme Court, he's got it made! :lol:
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

That has put the nail in the coffen for me. I am OUT! Take away my Mess Hall privlages guys. it looks a little Star Trekie with the rap around neck collar thing.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

With which to dress its what, single active brigade is it now?
That looks like it would do real well in a very dense lush forest, such as cover much of Sweden. But I don't think it would work to well in most of the world, which tends to be far more brown then green.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

MKSheppard wrote:

The thing for me is, how can you trust an army, how good is an army, that has a wine-opener on it's knife?

"Many of you men have never opened Chardonnay under fire!" :twisted:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

JME2 wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:

The thing for me is, how can you trust an army, how good is an army, that has a wine-opener on it's knife?

I think you're confusing the Swedes with the Swiss.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Faram wrote:Damn you have to buy your own uniform?
Enlisted men get a uniform stipend with their paycheck, although it isn't much. Officers front the money from their pay. Moreover, because of my next assignment, I've got to buy a bunch of Class B uniforms. Looks like they are going to let us phase out the old BDUs over the next few years, which should lessen the impact on the wallet. The same thing happened when they introduced the new PT uniforms.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Elfdart wrote:
JME2 wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: The pattern is actually good at distance!

I think you're confusing the Swedes with the Swiss.
:oops: My bad!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

[Looks at pic]

It looks like a fly fisherman just had a run-in with some green paint.

Not that that makes it any worse than the US Army's new one.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Hasler
Youngling

Post by Hasler »

This uniform makes me happy that my first choice of branch is armor.

I feel really sorry for the infantry types. They arnt going to blend into anything.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Hasler wrote:This uniform makes me happy that my first choice of branch is armor.

I feel really sorry for the infantry types. They arnt going to blend into anything.
Aren't you concerned that some genius will decide to pain the same type of patter on all of the tanks? This pattern is supposed to be good everywhere so they wouldn't have to change the colors on the tanks when going from forest to desert either.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Hasler
Youngling

Post by Hasler »

As long as I have DU and Blast pannels protecting me Im not so worried :)

Seriously though I really hope this is just a demo showing where the lights and darks will go because if this is the real pattern I dont see how the Army will be able to conduct anything but night ops. It will be especially difficult to do ambuses and concealment will unheard of in a woodland or desert enviornment. On A side note I bet that collar itch.