Clip from BLADE 3 in Quicktime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Dooey Jo wrote:
neoolong wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote: I don't know. Easy classification or "scientific" purposes. Perhaps just for the hell of it. If one can compare different types of sci-fi universes, why vampire myths, too?
Yes, but then you just have to use what you're given.
Of course, but since there are so many different myths and types, maybe making an "average" vampire would be an easier approach.
I still don't follow. If you make an average vampire for everything, then there is no comparison since they're all the same.
That's my point. It's an inherently stupid idea since things don't maintain consistent value or price.
Yep. But the idea that vampires have to pick up every grain of rice if you throw it in front of him is quite stupid too. I guess the general population back then was pretty stupid. If the general population believed in that stuff, that is...
Which may be why some things are dropped when creating characters. However, some things are stupider than others.
And I got my sense of him from the movie.
He's different in the comic.
So I've heard, but I haven't read unfortunately.[/quote]

He's also fairly different from movie to comic too. More so than other comic book characters I'd reckon. Probably because he's less well-known. That and the comic wasn't all that great.
The thing I based on the cartoon would be my previous statement that they should have kept his lightsabre which I found cooler than the sword. And I stand by that statement.
C'mon, which is more realistic, a sword or a lightsabre?
Who cares, it's an action movie :P Might as well make it as cool as possible![/quote]

Then why not give Rambo a tank. That'd look cool. You still have to make the movie follow the style you set. In the cartoon there was a whole bunch of futuristic technology like energy weapons. That isn't how it is in the movie.
No, I judge it by what I see and then try to come up with ideas on how they could've made it better.
Considering that the first one did quite well, and the makers seemed happy enough with the movie, they didn't think it could be better if they changed genre. Even Blade 2, which is the "horror" one, is still heavily action oriented.
I noticed that, otherwise they wouldn't have made a sequel. Blade 2 is a horror movie? They probably just called it horror because it has vampires in it and vampires traditionally are horror characters. Just like most episodes of Buffy which really is action or drama and not horror.[/quote]

Out of the two so far, Blade 2 is more horror. Neither is strictly horror, that's why I used quotation marks. At least that's the impression I got from the director. Besides, why use Guillermo Del Toro if you're not going to have some horror.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

neoolong wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:Of course, but since there are so many different myths and types, maybe making an "average" vampire would be an easier approach.
I still don't follow. If you make an average vampire for everything, then there is no comparison since they're all the same.
Instead of looking at how different vampires are from other vampires, one could check how different they are from the average. I think that's how statistical institutes and the likes use things like "the average American" or "Medel-Svensson" as they call it here.
Yep. But the idea that vampires have to pick up every grain of rice if you throw it in front of him is quite stupid too. I guess the general population back then was pretty stupid. If the general population believed in that stuff, that is...
Which may be why some things are dropped when creating characters. However, some things are stupider than others.
I agree with that.
So I've heard, but I haven't read unfortunately.
He's also fairly different from movie to comic too. More so than other comic book characters I'd reckon. Probably because he's less well-known. That and the comic wasn't all that great.
Okay, I'll take your word for it.
Who cares, it's an action movie :P Might as well make it as cool as possible!
Then why not give Rambo a tank. That'd look cool. You still have to make the movie follow the style you set. In the cartoon there was a whole bunch of futuristic technology like energy weapons. That isn't how it is in the movie.
Well, they did give him explosive arrows, didn't they. That's almost cooler than a tank. No, I know, the comic's supposed to be some kind of futuristic version of today, right, but the movie is supposed to look as much like today as possible. I probably would have liked to see energy weapons as well, but that's probably the sci-fi-fan in me talking.
I noticed that, otherwise they wouldn't have made a sequel. Blade 2 is a horror movie? They probably just called it horror because it has vampires in it and vampires traditionally are horror characters. Just like most episodes of Buffy which really is action or drama and not horror.
Out of the two so far, Blade 2 is more horror. Neither is strictly horror, that's why I used quotation marks. At least that's the impression I got from the director. Besides, why use Guillermo Del Toro if you're not going to have some horror.
Heh, good point.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Dooey Jo wrote:Instead of looking at how different vampires are from other vampires, one could check how different they are from the average. I think that's how statistical institutes and the likes use things like "the average American" or "Medel-Svensson" as they call it here.
Yeah, but who's going to take the time to come up with "the average vampire."
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

neoolong wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:Instead of looking at how different vampires are from other vampires, one could check how different they are from the average. I think that's how statistical institutes and the likes use things like "the average American" or "Medel-Svensson" as they call it here.
Yeah, but who's going to take the time to come up with "the average vampire."
Don't know, someone interested. Does it matter?
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu