Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Typhonis 1 wrote:What about roving patrols of Stromtroopers on the Carrak :twisted: doubt if the data droids could handle them
Hey, they are shadowfleet, not the Federation... maybe they would just use one of their mass transporters to beam all guards away into space... or they will adjust the gravity of the ship to 5-10 g... a Data-type android should be able to continue to walk... a Stormtrooper not...

of course from shadowfleets point of view 20-30 g would even be better.. just a few seconds and the ship is clear... *G*
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

HRogge wrote:
Typhonis 1 wrote:What about roving patrols of Stromtroopers on the Carrak :twisted: doubt if the data droids could handle them
Hey, they are shadowfleet, not the Federation... maybe they would just use one of their mass transporters to beam all guards away into space... or they will adjust the gravity of the ship to 5-10 g... a Data-type android should be able to continue to walk... a Stormtrooper not...

of course from shadowfleets point of view 20-30 g would even be better.. just a few seconds and the ship is clear... *G*

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Before you get anyone ideas
1. SW Shield Block Mass-Transporters
2.Unless THEY bring it in, SW Gravity can not be turned up any Higher than 8 Gs without expressed Captians Permision with as much secruity as they have over the Captians Self-Destruct Authrioty

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Mr Bean wrote:Before you get anyone ideas
1. SW Shield Block Mass-Transporters
2.Unless THEY bring it in, SW Gravity can not be turned up any Higher than 8 Gs without expressed Captians Permision with as much secruity as they have over the Captians Self-Destruct Authrioty
Do you think they have acitve shields within the dock ?

And what if shadowfleet use some kind of subspace transport... that one that use an interdimensional rift... ( TNG )

I was not thinking about using the internal gravity... more like some kind of external mine with a really powerful graviton pulser... a single pulse with 300g, too fast to be compensated with the partly shut down systems of the ship ( it's in the dock ! ) and the crew is... hmm... dead.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

300 Gs could not be good for the ships internal stuff...
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Lets just say I had imput on this senario and I was to lazy to PM Stravo about the Can't use the Ships own Gravity Aginst it(Not that hard to use another's hint hint nudge)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Mr Bean wrote:Lets just say I had imput on this senario and I was to lazy to PM Stravo about the Can't use the Ships own Gravity Aginst it(Not that hard to use another's hint hint nudge)
You are right...

of course any ship designer who creates an internal gravity generator with more than 10 g capacity should be shot ! :lol: :lol:
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

That was a very cool post Stravo, I thank you for the privalege of reading your story. :D
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

I want to give Bean a big THANK YOU for cleaning up Star Crossed in that neat wonder that it is now. After scrolling through it I realized just how much I had actually written over time (and how much is left to go) Bean has been a big supporter since the beginning and a wonderful source of knowledge for EU related material since I haven't read much of anything past the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

So Thanks Bean!!!

I also assume that this will be the place to go in order to read any comments from fans of the most current posts.

Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

I just discovered this fanfic yesterday and now that I've read it all I must say that it perhaps the best piece of fiction I have read on the net and a lot better than quite a lot of published works that I have read.

Thankyou.
SpyderGS
Youngling

StarCrossed

Post by SpyderGS »

WOW...been reading this all week at work and I just blew the majority of my Saturday reading the remaining 6 chapters.

Bravo!

Absolutely a joy to read. All the characters have been spot on (especially Bones). Picard still riding a high horse and Kirk kicking ass and taking names. They are the ones that will rally any real resistance in the ST galaxy.

SW characters have been great, overall representations have been square in the Imperial mold.
The Ochoa dialogues are a fantastic depiction of someone's internal struggle :wink: and if any ship (and captain) survives to return home it had better be the Relentless!

Nice touch with Trelayne/Q and Mitchell...not to mention all the other gods.
And of course the 1138 references.

Well, guess I've got to wait for the next installment.
The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Picard's been pretty underused though so far eh? He's been spectating mostly.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 28 has been posted in the cleaned up Starcrossed thread. PLEASE post any and all comments in THIS thread. Anyway enjoy!

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

1st to post...

It doesn't feel the same...
JADAFETWA
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

IG-88E wrote:1st to post...

It doesn't feel the same...
How so Iggy? Would you prefer that I also post the new chapter in this forum? Serioulsy, let me know what you guys prefer.

haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Maybe you could post it in both...I mean, first off post count boost for you, then those like myself that don't wanna scroll thru 35 pages of nonsense can read it (I have printed it out, in fact, so I can read it when I can't get online). Plus, it makes it easier to read as the Sticky. (and easier to copy and paste!)
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Some random thoughts. I just started reading this not so long before.

I like the plot. I think the characters are portrayed decently, though not as well as I think you could do.

My main gripe is that it seems unpolished, as if each chapter were written, proofread and then sent to the Internet without major revision. I really don't have any concrete way of explaining it, but there you go.

That said, I do enjoy it...but it could be a lot better. I say take more time to read things over, maybe find an editor (not me) and polish each chapter more. It's the best way to improve your writing.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

In response to some requests, I will be posting new chapters in both threads.

Chapter 28: Ghosts

Darth Nemesis stood alone in his quarters, a great window opened up at the rear of his room that allowed him to see the sea of stars that the fleet traveled through. The inky black void was soothing and still. He emptied himself of all thoughts and emotions as he communed with the darkness.

Of course this was a direct violation of the ways of the Sith. There was no peaceful introspection, there was only the contemplation of rage. Rage fueled your power and your strength and only by analyzing your rage, by reveling in it, by bringing it to the surface, could a Sith Lord truly master his rage and thereby mastering the Dark Side.

Lord Nemesis was committing heresy against the order.

He did not care.

He had been wounded in so many ways and he found that the only peace he could seek was the peace of emptiness. There was no Emperor to chastise him, no Dark Father to urge him on deeper into the embrace of the dark side. He was alone. Far from home and he was deciding whether to undertake another step on his twisted path. A path that would take him down a road with no signposts. He would be striking out on a path his father had only hinted at.

“Join me, and we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. We can rule the galaxy as father and son.”

There was no room for an emperor in this model. No room for Palpatine. Nemesis did not know if he had to resolve to do what so obviously must be done. Fate had handed him the possibility and showed him two roads. He must now choose one. Events were unfolding at a breakneck pace. Hundreds of worlds were under his sway and his enemies, despite their surprise victory had little chance of being nothing more than annoyances.

The final sign had come from a secret dispatch he received from Romulus. It had only one sentence but it had sealed the fate of this galaxy and would soon turn the tide of the war.

THE PHOENIX HAS RISEN

He knew what it meant and he also knew that it was a call to action.

One did not make decisions of this sort in anger or frustration. It would only lead to disaster and he was playing an extremely dangerous game. He could soon have this fleet in his service forever or Mara Jade’s knife in his back. He wished fervently that Han were here, he had a way of cutting through the haze and giving you a clear picture…and making you smile in the process.

He missed his old friend.

“I guess that’s what happens when you’re left frozen in the hands of your enemy.” A voice replied wanly.

Nemesis froze, eyes snapped open as he recognized the voice.

“Han?” He asked and whirled around.

“How are you feeling Kid?” Han asked with a wry grin. Nemesis stared at the apparition standing not more than a meter away. Han looked as he did when they parted ways on Hoth. There was a strange translucence to the figure and light shimmered on the edges of his body. It reminded Nemesis of Obi Wan’s apparition on Hoth.

“You’re not here.” Nemesis replied icily.

Han cocked his head slightly and grinned.

“You really are letting all this dark side nonsense get into you head aren’t you? When I first met you, you were no different than any of the other farm boys with strange notions of greatness.”

“I’m not a boy any longer and I refuse to discourse with an obvious figment of my imagination.”

Han nodded and smirked.

“Well, there’s a few possibilities, and if you’re willing to hear me out kid, I’ll be out of your hair shortly.”

Nemesis said nothing. Han shrugged.

“I could be a figment of your imagination, conjured up by your conscience through some trick of the force to mess with your own head…sick and twisted but then again you are a Sith Lord…so I guess that kind of goes with the territory.”

Nemesis folded his arms across his chest and waited.

“I could be the trick of one of these psionic entities that you’ve been hearing so much about but haven’t seen...sort of. You met Q a while ago. Your mind has been closed to him since then but maybe, just maybe this is his way of getting your attention.”

Nemesis smirked.

“Or I could be the mental projection of someone you once called a friend who has spent the last three millennia frozen in Carbonite, making me the longest lived man in the galaxy. Three millennia of living in a non waking dream can do things to a person, things that allow him to project his thoughts out to a powerful Jedi he once called friend.”

Nemesis bristled.

“Oh, that’s right I forgot, you’re not a Jedi.” Han replied. “You’re a Lord of the Sith, right hand of the Emperor and your planning to snatch it all away from him so that you and dear old dad can restore order, huh?”

Nemesis pursed his lips as he heard the accusation. It sounded so strange to finally be spoken openly.

“You know, a guy is out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur.” Han lamented as he walked around a table, glancing down at the belongings laid out on top. Nemesis found the apparition eerier the more he examined it. Every nuance of Han’s mannerism was captured every inflection of his voice. As far as nemesis could tell this was indeed Han Solo.

“Luke, give it up, kid. This isn’t you, the black robes, and the killing people at the drop of a hat. This is not you and you know it.”

“What would you have me do, Han? Walk away? You’ll have to be more persuasive than that.”

Han nodded slowly staring at the dark young man and the storm clouds of anger clear in his eyes.

“Kid, you walked down this path because you’re angry, but you know what? You’re angry at the wrong people for all the wrong reasons.”

“Do tell.” Nemesis sneered.

“You’re angry at that old fossil Kenobi, right? Well, you forget that I was there, that old man loved you, kid.”

“What the hell do you know about what Kenobi did?! He lied to me, he told me my father had died and trained me to kill Darth Vader.”

“And?”

“Vader IS my father!”

“Great father figure you have there, Luke. I don’t know about you but the universe would be a MUCH better place without him.”

“Leave now or I will destroy you.” Nemesis hissed angrily and took several steps forward. The ghost smiled softly and shook his head.

“Or what? You’re going to kill me? How?”

Nemesis stopped short.

“You’ve been angry at all these people who have done nothing but help you as best they can. Kenobi was a father you never had, don’t deny it, you loved that old man, I saw it in your eyes or maybe you forgot what happened when we were escaping from the Death star? Maybe you forgot that dear old dad cut that old man down. You forgot your pain and anguish as we flew out of there and how you worked it out on those guns.”

Nemesis shook his head, denying the stab of recognition that flared in his heart. Why was his past so hard to remember? Why did he see the betrayals so vividly? Why was his past life covered in a penumbra of shadow?

“Yoda. You hate him and I don’t know why.” Han suddenly held up a hand as Nemesis was about to speak. “Yeah, yeah, I know, he lied to you he betrayed you. Let me ask you something, for as long as I’ve known you, you’ve wanted to become a Jedi. I laughed at you and I secretly thought the old man had filled your head with these ludicrous notions of ancient weapons and hokey religions. But I saw a change in you. The stuff really worked. But now look at you.”

“What was your question?” Nemesis asked hoarsely. He realized as he watched the apparition how much he missed his friend.

“Yoda gave you the chance to become a Jedi and how did you repay him?”

Nemesis paused.

“What?” He asked.

“He took a chance with you. He could feel the same anger in you that was in dear old dad…what’s the saying like father like son?”

“Get..to..the..point.” Nemesis spat. He did not want the images that were now flooding into his memories. Images of him standing on a stardestroyer bridge flush with his ascension as a Sith Lord of the Empire. He turned to look on a cloud covered world…NO…

“He trained you to bring you close to your dream. No one else could have made you a Jedi. And you turned on him, you became an agent of evil.”

“He knowingly trained me to kill my father!”

“Why did you do it?” Han pressed.

He watched the cloud covered world slowly spinning from the view port. His lips slowly parted in a satisfied sneer as he felt the presence of his old teacher. He began to speak. NO IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

“Shut up.”

“No, Luke. Why did you do it? He trained you to become a Jedi and save the galaxy. Your father sided with the darkness you sided with the light. Of course you would have to oppose him, but if not you, then who?”

He turned to the Captain of the stardestroyer, feeling the spike of fear in him. He smiled softly. He inspired fear in those that once hunted him, those he once feared now groveled at his feet and they respected him, they obeyed him and they would be his instrument for revenge. Starting with the one that had started it all.

“Captain you may-“ NONONONONONO. Shadows were closing in around this memory again, but Han’s light was not allowing the darkness to fall. The soothing darkness was held at bay.

“Why did you order that BDZ?”

“What?!” Nemesis gasped.

“Captain you may fire when ready.” He stated. NO. Green turbolaser fire rained down from the stardestroyer and flashed down underneath the thick white canopy of clouds. NO!! The flashes became more insistent as the stardestroyers continued its relentless attack upon the jungle planet, stripping it of all life. Including his.

He watched the bombardment, at one point his hand reached out and touched the cool glass of the view port as the white clouds roiled and turned black, glimpses of bright red magma could be seen underneath the cloud cover as the surface was blasted away.

“Why did you order the BDZ of Dagobah?” Han demanded.

“No! I did not!!” Nemesis shouted but the truth responded with cold certainty.

“Base delta Zero operation complete, Lord nemesis.” The captain reported smartly. Nemesis nodded.

“Good work, Captain. Set a course for Coruscant.”

“Of course, my Lord.”

Nemesis took one last look at the dead world, the cloud cover was replaced by a thick cloud of volcanic ash, and angry crimson molten rock lit the world like a torch in the darkness of the void.

Nemesis stood stock still staring at the floor as the memory finished playing out, the shadows that dominated his mind were parted for a time and everything was clear.

“He needed to pay.” Nemesis whispered.

“For helping you achieve your dream? For helping you free the galaxy of the empire?” Han asked softly. Han reached out and touched Nemesis’ shoulder. Nemesis looked up sharply. “You remember hating the empire, don’t you? Why you hated it?”

“Uncle Owen? Aunt Beru?” His own voice drifted on his memories and he remembered running, running towards the living quarters, a dark black column of smoke rose up into the clear desert air. He remembered stopping short as he caught sight of something.

“Yes, I remember.” Nemesis replied absently. His eyes were burning…why were they burning? He ignored the first hot tear that ran down his cheek. Han noticed it and he stepped away slowly, sorrow in his eyes as he regarded his young friend.

“I’m going to go now, Luke, but you have to ask yourself this…maybe I AM just a figment of your imagination, maybe I AM an illusion created by Q, maybe I AM Han Solo’s mind free on some journey, linked to you by the Force, but in the end, we all have one message. You’re on the wrong path. You’ve had to lie to yourself to get this far Luke. Don’t wait until you are so far down the path that there will be no turning back, that you won’t have to lie to yourself.”

Nemesis looked up at his friend, eyes brimming with tears and shame burning on his face as he blushed with the realization that the mighty Sith Lord was crying.

“Don’t call me that…that name no longer has any meaning for me.” He whispered voice thick with emotion.

“Hey junior, if you get out of this mess, that’s three you owe me…and Luke…may the Force be with you.”

Han vanished as if he had never been there.

Nemesis savagely slapped controls on his desk and the great window behind him sealed closed under a heavy durasteel plate. The lights shut off and nemesis was completely enveloped in darkness. At first there was utter silence in the shadows. Then the sobbing began, gentle at first, but there was too much pain and the soft sobs became a wail of sorrow.

The Enterprise came out of warp in the inky void of interstellar space. The nearest star system was several light years away and here in the darkness there was very little light. There was no primary, even a distant one that could illuminate the darkness as often happened when they were in system. It was a funny thought that the Federation had been traveling the stars for centuries and very rarely did starships spend much time in the darkest reaches of space, in the great vast gulfs between stars and their attendant planets. Yet, here in the empty places of the galaxy, James T. Kirk had led his fleet to a promise of hope that may help turn the tide of a war that so far had claimed too many Federation lives and worlds.

William Riker contemplated this as he looked out on the view screen and saw several starships in formation ahead. Three Defiant class ships were aggressively patrolling the zone of control as heavier ships floated serenely towards the center.

“Mr. Data, any idea where the good captain is? Which ship is he on?”

“No sir. He left with Mr. Spock and Mr. Scott yesterday on the Sagan while we were repositioning the fleet in the Briar Patch for repairs and maintenance. He seemed rather agitated and in a hurry.” Data replied.

“Commander Riker, I’m receiving a hail from the Sagan.” Uhura reported.

“Put him on, Uhura. Let’s see if we can’t find our errant Captain and find out what could possibly be out here that would be of any use to us.” Riker replied.

The screen winked over to Captain Entebbe.

“Commander Riker, Jim told me that you would be here soon. He’s inspecting the newest addition to the fleet.”

“Newest addition? Frankly, Captain Entebbe we’re a little in the dark here.”

“That’s alright, Riker. Come on in and see her for yourself.”

Riker nodded hesitantly but motioned for the helmsman to take them in.

The Enterprise coasted by a flotilla of heavy ships and soon reached the center of activity. Several science vessels were moored to a massive object that slowly filled the screen. Riker also noticed two heavy salvage craft as well as a fleet of repair drones and engineering vessels. Whatever was happening had drained much of their repair fleet’s strength. Currently the only shipyards they had at their disposal were the ones at Andor which were running at 110% just cranking ships out for the defense of Andor and making quick repairs on the main body of the fleet. The most they could make do with were repair ships and tugs that were now stationed in the Briar patch and they were tapping their Maquis sources to find safe havens in the Bad Lands for a similar project.

Each of these engineering craft represented several starships that were forced to limp along until it was their turn to be repaired. He hoped it was worth it.

However as he caught full sight of the object they were clustered around, Riker immediately knew that once again, Kirk had pulled off a coup.

“Is that what I think it is?” Riker asked in amazement.

Data regarded the image on the screen and glanced down at his readouts.

“The image matches the description of the weapon and scans determine that the hull is indeed solid neutronium. This is the Doomsday Device that the original Enterprise encountered on Stardate 4202.9 in star system L-374.” Data replied.

“Unbelievable. You mean to tell me that it’s been sitting out here all this time?”

“Apparently so. A discrepancy should be noted, Commander. According to Captain Kirk’s log entries, the Device was destroyed in battle.”

“Apparently, reports of its destruction were slightly exaggerated.” Riker mused.

The Doomsday Device was several kilometers long, easily rivaling any of the Imperial behemoths they had been facing of late. It was conical shaped, its gaping maw dark at the moment, but its hull had a watery consistency and glowed with an indigo shade of blue. It floated in the void surrounded by its attendant Starfleet engineering and science vessels.

A small shuttle craft slowly emerged from the maw of the device.

‘Receiving a transmission from Captain Kirk.”

“Put him on.”

“Riker.” Kirk’s face appeared on the screen but the transmission was blurry, lines of static interrupted it every few seconds.

“Uhura, any idea what’s going on with the transmission?”

“There is a subspace distortion field that is centered on the device, sir. It’s causing communications problems.”

“Riker, I realize that the transmission quality isn’t the best but it’s a side effect that the device puts out. I’m going to need you to take a shuttle over here with Mr. Data and LaForge right away.”

“Aye sir.”

The shuttle slowly entered the maw of the Doomsday device. Riker glanced up nervously as they passed the gaping hole, it was not a comfortable feeling to fly down the mouth of this thing but there was no other way in. AS they passed the outer section he began to notice lighting strung along the walls of the inner portions of the device and engineers moving around like insects on the massive flanks of the device.

The shuttle slowed as it approached a makeshift landing area constructed at the end of a massive level that continued on deep into the bowels of the ship. The shuttle slowly rotated and descended, allowing Riker to see the full extent of the repairs underway. The maw of the device was far away, nearly out of sight. A strange set of emitters were placed all along the outer ring of the maw. This wide open area was filled with work bees and repair drones. Past the wide open space, were three great levels, each one easily the size of a building. The three levels each descended on down the full length of the Doomsday Device and disappeared out of view. Strange ethereal lights flickered along the inner wall and tendrils of electricity danced along strange crystalline rods that descended at odd intervals throughout the vast open area, each rod was the size of a starship.

“Data, do you have any idea what those could be?” Riker asked.

“Commander, I can only speculate at best but the contradicting sensor data I am receiving indicates a level of technology far beyond anything we can even speculate about.” Data replied as the shuttle finally set down.

Riker nodded to Data and LaForge and they walked out onto the landing platform. Kirk, Spock and Scotty were waiting to meet them.

“Captain, I am at a loss.” Riker said as he looked around, still awed by the size of the vessel.

“Well, you can imagine the reaction when I told Scotty and his engineers that I wanted them to break this down and rebuild it.” Kirk replied.

“And?” LaForge asked jealous that Scotty had gotten his hands on this technology before he did. This place was an engineer’s dream.

“Lad, there are systems on this beast that I canna even SPECULATE as to their purpose.”

“So you see we have a dilemma.” Kirk added with a frown.

“You do not think that this device can be repaired?” Data asked.

“Mr. Data, the finest engineer I know is telling me that he can’t even begin to understand some of the more basic controls of this vessel. This is a set back I was hoping would not arise. Quite frankly, we can’t even tell why this ship deactivated when the Constellation blew in here. We can’t find any battle damage.”

“So far our greatest achievement was discovering an environmental control system and manipulating it so that it could generate a suitable atmosphere for us.” Spock added.

“You do know, sir that this vessel was declared destroyed by you in your logs.” Riker asked with a wry smile.

Kirk smiled mischievously and rubbed the back of his head.

“Well, unfortunately, I had to lie on those logs in order to keep this thing a secret. I figured the technology on this vessel would be the source of some healthy competition, I was afraid that the Federation would become the target for attack by the powers of the day, so I had her towed out here where she would most likely not run across anything. I guess I was right because she’s obviously been drifting out here for about a century now.” Kirk replied.

“You think that we can help in any way?” Riker asked.

“Well, Number One, I was hoping that putting our heads together might lead to some breakthroughs. Otherwise, this whole endeavor could be a wasted effort. This weapon would probably even the battlefield for us.” Kirk replied.

“The chances of our efforts adding significantly to the probability of deciphering this alien technology are slim.” Data interjected.

“I’m surprised you didn’t rattle off a number.” Riker nudged Data.

“The odds can be calculated to about 6 decimal places, if you like-” Kirk held up a hand and shook his head.

“That’s alright, Spock. Right now I am concerned about the future of this endeavor. This vessel is the key to standing toe to toe against one of their stardestroyers. It’s going to take years for the technology we’re getting from the rebels to start being practical. Right now any starships using rebel technology is just on the drawing boards with little or no chance of construction any time this year.” Kirk explained.

“Unfortunately, sir, I’m just looking at theses schematics that Scotty gave me and it doesn’t look good. Right off the bat, the power core utilizes an unknown technology definitely superior to the matter/antimatter reactions we use. Its several orders of magnitude more powerful and complex. If we can’t understand how the power core works how can we get any other systems going? It just gets worse and worse. The main computer core seems to use an architecture we’ve never encountered before, the conduits are made of a material we have never encountered before, not to mention key components of the hull are comprised of solid Neutronium. I don’t know how we’re going to be able to access these parts since we don’t have any technology that can cut neutronium.” Geordie explained as he glanced over the data pad with a critical eye.

“These are problems that we need to find answers for, gentlemen. Right now this vessel is the key to victory and it’s killing me that we can’t get past this mystery.” Kirk snapped in exasperation.

“Then I’m glad that I’m here to help you, Captain.” A new voice intruded on the gathering at the landing pad.

The others turned quickly to see the newcomer. The young man walked into the light and he looked seriously at each of the assembled officers.

“Wes?” Geordie exclaimed.

Wesley Crusher stopped at the edge of the circle. He wore a simple black jacket and pants, his shirt was a plain white tunic and some very beat up hiking boots. He glanced around the massive expanse of the Doomsday Machine’s interior and he nodded to himself as if accepting an unheard challenge.

“That’s right Geordie, Commander Riker, Data. I’m back from my travels and I’ve heard about the troubles we’ve been having.”

“Wesley, we’re losing a very important war.” Riker added as he stared at the young man that had walked out of thin air.

“Commander, you don’t have to emphasize your points to me like I’m some young wide eyed ensign. I can see things you could never imagine, I’ve been to places that the Federation will never go to. Let’s cut the condescension.” Wesley replied coolly.

Riker was stung.

“This young man seems to be a member of your crew.” Kirk stated neutrally as he examined the young man. There was an aura about him. He seemed to be searching for something, there was a determined purpose in his stride and his eyes spoke of having seen things that no one had ever seen, things that perhaps he should not have seen.

“He was a member of our crew several years ago, Captain. He was an ensign on board the Enterprise. He disappeared during one of our missions.” Riker explained.

“And you can help us how?” Kirk asked.

“Captain, Wesley Crusher was considered by many to be an engineering and physics protégé. His intuitive knowledge of mechanics would be a great asset.” Data added.

“Sair, the wee lad is hardly going to be able to contribute more than the assembled Starfleet engineers I have waiting for us.” Scotty said with a slight smirk.

Wesley shook his head.

“Can’t you people look past the surface and see what’s beneath?” He snapped. Wesley looked at each of them for a moment before continuing. “I can tell you that this vessel utilizes a compression cascade generator, essentially it is a hypermatter reactor, something that I assure you would shock your Imperial friends when they encounter it.” Wesley said with a shadow of a smile. “It utilizes a nanosphere computer interface architecture that the Iconians also used.”

“How in the hell could you know that?” Geordie asked in shock.

Wesley smiled and tapped his head.

“This wee lad has seen these things in action. I have traveled to places that use this technology, I have learned from engineers that haven’t even been born yet or those that died with the birth of this galaxy. This will be a challenge, but I believe that I can help you put humpty dumpty back together again.” Wesley answered with a confident grin.

Kirk glanced at the others and shrugged.

“Mr. Crusher, I want to be the first to welcome you on to the team.” Kirk said with a smile and extended his hand. Wesley stared at him for a moment, as if sizing Kirk up and he stepped towards him and accepted his hand. They shook.

“It will be an honor to serve with you sir. I read about your adventures when I was in school.” Wesley added.

“Thank you, son. Now I don’t mean to be unappreciative for the help but I need this ship ready to be underway soon. I’m starting to dream up a plan that this ship will be absolutely necessary for.”

“I will work as fast and as hard as I can, sir.” Wesley answered.

Kirk nodded and stepped aside as the others crowded around Wesley. Wesley was uneasy around his former crewmates. He felt like an odd man out. He never really felt like he was part of them all those years on the Enterprise and now he felt even more of an outsider. How could he relate to them the things he had seen, the experiences? They did not understand him when he was but a boy.

Geordie gripped Wesley’s shoulder.

“So, Wes, I guess you’ll want to see your mother?” Geordie asked with a grin.

Wesley shook hi head.

“We’re on a tight schedule Geordie, and even though I know most of these systems it’s going to take our all to get these systems back up and running. There is no time. Trust me, there are things happening that will need this ship in action soon. Something big is coming and we need to be ready.”

Geordie frowned.

“What should I tell your mother?”

Wesley thought for a moment.

“Tell her, her son has come home.” He answered.

Captain Archer winced as he was shoved forward by the Borg drone. Archer, Janeway, Seven of Nine and the Borg Queen were led into a massive chamber. If Archer were a betting man, he guessed that the chamber must have been the size of a small city. Around them there was only darkness occasionally interrupted by sparks of emerald energy arcing across the shadows. There were a dozen drones standing behind them.

The queen was not moved by what they saw. She simply stood in the center of the group quietly waiting.

“Seven, do you know what this is?” Janeway asked.

“I have heard of this place. Although as a drone I was never assigned to duty here. It is the Core Collective. In this chamber lies the central consciousness of the Borg. The heart of the Collective, the voices that direct the union. Some say that they were the first collective, the one upon which all others were built.” Seven answered with awe.

“She is right.” The Queen added. “The first Collective was formed in this very chamber and they added to their technological and biological distinctiveness.”

“Where do you fit in on this?” Janeway asked.

The Queen smiled mysteriously.

“We shall soon see.”

WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR SPECIES AND VESSEL HAVE COME TO OUR ATTENTION. AN IMPERIAL STARDESTROYER WAS DESTROYED AT TIME PERIOD 1223.89. THE FEDERATION FLEET THAT CONFRONTED IT ESCAPED.

“What is it you want?” Janeway asked.

YOU ARE KATHERINE JANEWAY, COMMANDER OF THE STARSHIP VOYAGER, YOUR PRESENCE IS KNOWN TO US. WE DESIRE A TRUCE TO CONFER IN ORDER TO MAXIMIZE OUR EFFORTS IN DESTROYING THE IMPERIAL PRESENCE IN THIS GALAXY.

“That sounds simple, except that I don’t trust you. We’ve been here for several days now and only now do you even deign to acknowledge our presence.”

ACKNOWLDEGEMENT IS IRRELEVANT. TRUST IS IRRELEVANT. THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION. THE CHANCES THAT THE EMPIRE WILL CONQUER THIS GALAXY HAVE BEEN CALCUALTED TO BE 79.66%. THE PORTIONS OF THE GALAXY THAT WILL PROVIDE THE MOST RESISTANCE ARE THE BORG COLLECTIVE AND THE DOMINION.

“Funny that considering that we’ve just taken out a stardestroyer and you haven’t done squat.” Archer interjected hotly.

“Captain please.” Janeway snapped.

“Perhaps I can be heard.” The queen added softly.

WE ARE AWARE OF YOUR PRESENCE 1 OF 1. YOU HAVE BEEN DEEMED TO BE IRRELEVANT.

The queen frowned slightly.

“Your stubborn pride will be your downfall. I made you what you are. Your technological and biological distinctiveness were mine to give you. You WILL listen to me. Do you think that you can forge a pact with them? They have abilities which you can never assimilate.”

YOUR ORIGINS ARE WELL KNOWN TO THE COLLECTIVE 1 OF 1. THIS STATUS DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE FAILED THE COLLECTIVE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. A DETAILED ANALYSIS OF THIS FAILURE IS AS FOLLOWS-

“That’s enough! I know what you think, I was severed was I not?”

“Perhaps I should interject here.” Janeway added, not impressed with the Queen’s diplomatic expertise with the Collective so far.

WE DO NOT NEGOTIATE. WE OFFER YOU AN ULTIMATUM. YOU WILL JOIN US OR YOU WILL BE ASSIMALTED. THERE WILL BE NO THER OPTION, THERE WILL BE NO ALETRENATIVES. THE FEDERATION HAS DEMONSTRATED THE ABILITY TO DEFEAT THE EMPIRE AND SO WE WILL ADD THE FEDERATION TO OUR DISTINCTIVENESS.

“What?! After all that’s happened you mean to assimilate the Federation?” Janeway exclaimed.

“Damn these cold hearted bastards!” Archer spat, wishing he had his phaser. “I told you Janeway, this bitch knew absolutely nothing!”

“You cannot assimilate what the Federation uses to defeat the Empire.” The queen interjected softly.

EXPLAIN

“The Federation uses initiative and intuitiveness on the battlefield. These are not Collective qualities. I know because I made you what you are. I thought that these qualities were irrelevant.”

INITIATIVE IS IRRELEVANT. INTUITIVNESS IS IRRELEVANT. WE ARE THE BORG RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

“In this instance it is not. Check primary memory Alpha Sigma 00223558756.” The queen replied and glanced at Janeway.

THESE ARE THE PRIMARY MEMORY TAPES OF LOCUTUS OF BORG.

“Correct. I ordered the Collective to assimilate Picard because we needed him. We needed his initiative in order to defeat the Federation. I hoped that later on Locutus would spread this to the rest of the Collective to bring about a revolution in thought.”

THAT PLAN FAILED. SECTOR 001 WAS NOT ASSIMLATED.

“Correct. Now we need the Federation as an ally, not a target. They will help us defeat the Empire through the use of these qualities which were clearly evident in Locutus.”

1 OF 1 IS ATTEMPTING TO BARGAIN WITH US. HER WORDS HAVE MERIT. WE WILL ANALYZE ALL PERMUTATIONS. DECISION IS PENDING.

Suddenly the chamber was silent and they stood in shock for a moment before Archer broke the silence. “How long will it take them?” Archer asked.

“Not long at all Captain. I designed them to think quickly and the decision trees are designed to be resolved quickly.”

“You make it sound like you created the Borg.”

The queen turned her head to look at Archer and her smile was ice.

“My dear Captain, isn’t it obvious to you by now that I did create the Borg?” She looked out at the great chamber and the green flashing lights. “These are my children.”

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

FIRST TO POST!!!

YEE-HAH, NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!!!

Another good chapter BTW. I like the way you handled Han.
JADAFETWA
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

Lemme guess... Is Starcrossed about Luke going Darkside then killing his father, Han, and YOda, then he goes over to the ST galaxy?
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Good Work Stravo keep it up
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Utterly astounding. When will you post it to ASVS?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Dalton, I usually simultaneously post, but I use Google when I post on ASVS, because my AOL reader gives me problems with the lengths of certain chapters. So you know Google, the post may not show up for a few hours.

Glad you liked it! :D

Asdeed
Padawan Learner

Post by Asdeed »

Okay, I gotta just say, I love this story!

Question though Stravo, why didn't Kirk call in some engineers from the Reckless Hope to have a look at the Doomsday weapon? ((Sorry to nitpick, but I just HATE Wesley Crusher))
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Grrr, according to the times just as I fell asleep Stravo realsed his fanfic

But of course good chapter(What there is another kind?)

Course nothing got blown up :D