The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Hey Shep, can you give me TGG? I read TBO while I was gone and I loved it. Me Want More.

Crusade 1 is pretty kewl too. Nice and bloody.
Image Image
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Bahh, computer tech is 5-6 years behind ours or so but the Internet is on schedule.

EDIT: Updated the main listing.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Is it just me, or does the guy who wrote The Big One absolutely hate Democrats?
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Xenophobe3691 wrote:Is it just me, or does the guy who wrote The Big One absolutely hate Democrats?
WOW, YOU'RE ONLY DISCOVERING THIS NOW?

What a shocking revelation. :twisted:

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Xenophobe3691 wrote:Is it just me, or does the guy who wrote The Big One absolutely hate Democrats?
He hates Kennedy Democrats, and he obviously loathes Robert McNamara with all his heart and soul, but considering that LBJ is coming off as a fairly positive character, I wouldn't say he hates all Democrats.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

RedImperator wrote:He hates Kennedy Democrats, and he obviously loathes Robert McNamara with all his heart and soul, but considering that LBJ is coming off as a fairly positive character, I wouldn't say he hates all Democrats.
I don't think he hates Kennedy Democrats either; certainly he doesn't seem to like them or their policies but actual hatred is reserved for Nazis.

EDIT: As for RSM, apparently the incident at the YB-70 rollout is based on his real behavior at the second XB-70 rollout; his attempt to cancel the F-112, the B-70 and kill ARADCOM to form the ROAD divisions apparently was historical as well.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

MKSheppard wrote:

Hey, it's my first time reading this story. Good story, but he needs to get the anger monkeys off his typewriter and back into their cages where they belong.

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Xenophobe3691 wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:

Hey, it's my first time reading this story. Good story, but he needs to get the anger monkeys off his typewriter and back into their cages where they belong.
Actually I think it's funny as shit. :)
Image Image
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Xenophobe3691 wrote: Hey, it's my first time reading this story. Good story, but he needs to get the anger monkeys off his typewriter and back into their cages where they belong.
Actually I think it's funny as shit. :)
So do I, I can't imagine anyone ever using the word "Democrat" as a curse word...I'll try it, though, and probably get bitchslapped by my whole family...

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Xenophobe3691 wrote:So do I, I can't imagine anyone ever using the word "Democrat" as a curse word...I'll try it, though, and probably get bitchslapped by my whole family...
The person in question who its based off of actually does have that great dislike of Democrats; its more or less in character.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

phongn wrote:
RedImperator wrote:He hates Kennedy Democrats, and he obviously loathes Robert McNamara with all his heart and soul, but considering that LBJ is coming off as a fairly positive character, I wouldn't say he hates all Democrats.
I don't think he hates Kennedy Democrats either; certainly he doesn't seem to like them or their policies but actual hatred is reserved for Nazis.

EDIT: As for RSM, apparently the incident at the YB-70 rollout is based on his real behavior at the second XB-70 rollout; his attempt to cancel the F-112, the B-70 and kill ARADCOM to form the ROAD divisions apparently was historical as well.
Well, hate is relative. And I do think his feelings for McNamara go well beyond dislike. If you read some of what he writes in the commentary threads, contempt virtually boils off every post McNamara is mentioned.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

RedImperator wrote:And I do think his feelings for McNamara go well beyond dislike. If you read some of what he writes in the commentary threads, contempt virtually boils off every post McNamara is mentioned.
With damn good reason.
Seer Stuart wrote: This really is how the defense budget process works. The Secretary of Defense prepares a series of budget requests (usually but not always based on presentations from the Service chiefs) and sends it to the House and Senate. The House and Senate then make their own changes (sometimes minor, sometimes drastic) to the budget request. This results in two defense budgets, a House version and a Senate version. Traditionally (again, not always) the House tends to reflect the wishes of the Secretary of Defense more closely than the Senate.

The two defense budgets then go to Conference where they are compared and the discrepancies between them resolved. This is usually where the Senate persuades the House that SecDefs ideas are not good. There's usually compromise on most things; its very, very rare for Conferrence to be a slugging match. Once Conference has produced its defense budget it goes to the President for signature. The President can either sign off on it as a whole or veto it as a whole.

The stunt McNamara tries to pull in this section is factually correct - he really did do this. He wanted the F-12B and B-70 cancelled and his defense budget reflected that. The Senate put the money in and Conference approved the decision. Kennedy signed the budget and McNamara instantly refused to release the B-70 and F-12B funding, killing both programs. He used the same technique to gut the US air defense system.

It can't be done now, the law's been changed.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fortunately for them, his author-avatar has a very skilled assistant :twisted:
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

1965-6 OOB

EDIT: Ouch. Apparently even after sustaining massive losses in Russia (equal to our timeline's European and Pacific losses for the US Army combined, probably exlusive of USAAF losses) the sacrifices of the US Army in the TBOverse have more or less been forgotten by the public at large :(
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Crusade 8

Crusade 9

goddamn this story is great.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

Un...be....leivable. Stuart writes gold. :shock:

Damn, I'm at the point where every day I check to see if Stuart wrote another chapter in his TBO universe. He should think about publishing these one day.
-Luke
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

lukexcom wrote:Un...be....leivable. Stuart writes gold. :shock:

Damn, I'm at the point where every day I check to see if Stuart wrote another chapter in his TBO universe. He should think about publishing these one day.
He already has looked into publishing The Big One. He never said what became of it though. Book publishing can be a slow process so its probuabbly still in some pile waiting to be looked at,.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Am I reading this right? Is Johnson considering taking out Kennedy before the election?
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Thag wrote:Am I reading this right? Is Johnson considering taking out Kennedy before the election?
No you're not. Nobody gets taken out.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

New Story in the TBOverse

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Thag wrote:Am I reading this right? Is Johnson considering taking out Kennedy before the election?
No you're not. Nobody gets taken out.
Right, and Ghandi died in an accident. :wink:
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken