Is it Real, or is it Terragen?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Is it Real, or is it Terragen?

Post by aerius »

Been playing around again with Terragen which is a program for rendering landscape scenes. You can even take USGS topo maps and convert them into nice pictures.

Random water scene

Mt. McKinley in Alaska

NE shore of Kuai

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Are you using the registered version?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Nope, just the standard freeware version. I'll probably upgrade to the registered version once I get my new computer.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm assuming the Mckinley pic is done by terragen?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Water and clouds on Mars, because I can.

AnimeJet
Jedi Knight

Post by AnimeJet »

They all look generated. Something just doesn't sit right in my head when it's terragen.
"Everyone is a Nintendo Fan when no one is looking"
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

AnimeJet wrote:They all look generated. Something just doesn't sit right in my head when it's terragen.
The problem I'm having is terrain textures, I'm just using the defaults and haven't got them figured out yet. Given more practice you can get more realistic scenes like this one
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

They all look computer generated, but to be fair, I've been playing around with Terragen for a while so I have a good idea what they should look like. (I don't really aim for perfect realism as much as cool looking, possibly SF-ish scenes.)

Still look nice, though.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

aerius wrote:
AnimeJet wrote:They all look generated. Something just doesn't sit right in my head when it's terragen.
The problem I'm having is terrain textures, I'm just using the defaults and haven't got them figured out yet. Given more practice you can get more realistic scenes like this one
TBH, even that looks generated to me. Something about the way the grass sits on the side of the cliffs. -shrugs-

It's still damn good, though, aerius. Keep it up!

[EDIT] "It's" being your pics as a whole. ;)
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

A good give away is the water and grainy look on the terrain, can almost tell its just a bump map and not true geometry the way it has the plastic feel to it from the light. Has that cyran wrap type lighting.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Any practical applications?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

HemlockGrey wrote:Any practical applications?
Fake vacation pictures. Make a custom scene of say Hawaii and then Photoshop yourself into the picture.

But seriously, a more advanced version of the technology is used to generate the terrain in some sci-fi shows & movies, as well as to do fly-by animations and those cool martian rover scenes.
AnimeJet
Jedi Knight

Post by AnimeJet »

verilon wrote:
aerius wrote:
TBH, even that looks generated to me. Something about the way the grass sits on the side of the cliffs. -shrugs-
It's the lighting that gives it away. Everything just looks kinda plasticy to me. The Kuai pic looks almost real, mostly because of the fog that covers most of the lighting effects. But then the sky doesn't mesh and it just looks awkward.
"Everyone is a Nintendo Fan when no one is looking"
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

AnimeJet wrote:It's the lighting that gives it away. Everything just looks kinda plasticy to me. The Kuai pic looks almost real, mostly because of the fog that covers most of the lighting effects. But then the sky doesn't mesh and it just looks awkward.
Yeah. On the ones with water, Terragen almost always seems to give it a cellophane look. On rocky stuff, it's either too smooth or too flat. But that's just my perception.

Formerly verilon

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Honestly.. Terragen isn't that great. It all looks clearly fake.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

What *does* work pretty well sometimes is Bryce. But that thing is EVIL to try and use.

Formerly verilon