Should we have a "dealing with depression" thread?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crom
Jedi Council Member

Should we have a "dealing with depression" thread?

Post by Crom »

I've noticed that we have members that get hit pretty hard by depression, and I started to wonder if a thread, stickied or what not, dealing directly with depression would be a good idea.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

This is pretty much what Venting was for.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Re: Should we have a "dealing with depression" thr

Post by Trytostaydead »

Crom wrote:I've noticed that we have members that get hit pretty hard by depression, and I started to wonder if a thread, stickied or what not, dealing directly with depression would be a good idea.
That or just making a sticky with the greatest advice: Have good supporting friends and family and see a psych.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, that and trying to keep people from blowing their top.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

first law of depression

To end depression, end your depression before you try.

depressed people, when it comes down to it, is almost immue to advice.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

If someone is truly depressed, we should not encourage them to get their help on a fucking webboard. They need to go to a professional, not listen to us speculate.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

I don't know. We seem to do a good job of helping each other out in general and if someone has a serious problem, professional help is the best solution.

A sticky with some links to online depression education and support might be helpful, but a great place to start is Google. Just do a search for depression or depression support, or whatever. There's a lot of resources online, and while a web page or two is not a replacement for professional help, it can be a good place to start, to get the ball rolling.

Sometimes I lurk in the depression support newsgroups at Google. It helps to put my feelings in perspective: there's always someone worse off and guilt will sometimes break me out of a funk.

Sometimes just seeing that you're not the only one that feels so bad is the biggest help of all. Depression can be so isolating, sometimes you feel like your'e the only one that feels so crappy, esp in today's culture, where everyone is just a reality show away from being famous and loved :wink:
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
SWPIGWANG
Jedi Council Member

Post by SWPIGWANG »

Sometimes just seeing that you're not the only one that feels so bad is the biggest help of all.
You are hanging with the wrong people. :p Just look at all the whiny teens on say....live journal......

Of course according to some statistics everyone in the US suffers on average 3 mental illnesses. (thus proving that there are lies, damn lies and statistics, or that in US one can only be normal by being sick) :D

If you are teenaged and your are not depressed, crazy, a bully, evil, maladjusted, perverted or otherwise undesirible, than you don't fit in. :P
Saberslash
Youngling

Post by Saberslash »

Professional help and medication is usually best.. but it doesn't help when you think you don't have a problem, you tell the shrink to go screw himself, and stop taking the medication... what the hell was I thinking... *sigh*
Big Bang----------first life-form-------Neanderthals---Birth of Jesus---Today
...................................................^
..........................................You're here
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Professional help and medication is great...... when you really, really, have a medical depression, one that renders you utterly incapable of functioning as a human being.

Frankly, I found that being around friends and "hero" characters, do much more to bring someone back from the edge than professional therapy and stuff like that.

Furthermore, the term "mental disorder", is stupid, because everybody suffers from one in their life.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Howedar wrote:If someone is truly depressed, we should not encourage them to get their help on a fucking webboard. They need to go to a professional, not listen to us speculate.
It's a very nice, idealistic way of thinking. Unfortunately, professional help is not always help. Far too many times, I've heard from people tell me "horror stories" about counsellors who talked down to them, had no sympathy/empathy, or flat out, didn't care. This isn't to say that all counsellors are bunk, as I have had quite a good experiance with one at one point, but I just want to point out that professional does not always equal good.

I have had to help (and successfully) a number of my friends through things, ranging from full out clinical to depression to depression resulting from stress, light trauma (breakups, etc) and I have found that in many cases, it can be more helpful to converse with peers for a number of reasons. First off, if another peer has actually dealt with depression as well, there is an understanding of the feelings at hand. As well, in some cases, being able to relate to someone in some way, be it closeness in age, background, or what have you can be theraputic.

Again, I am not trying to completely put down professionals and medicine, but I am trying to say that sometimes, going to the shrink is not enough or the right thing. Therefore, I am in favor of such a thread. Even if the person's issue is not thouroughly discussed, just have it there as a way for someone to get ahold of someone who is willing to listen.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

Saurencaerthai wrote:....people tell me "horror stories" about counsellors....
As have I. Unfortunately, there are idiots and crazies everywhere, even in the mental health profession. I think it's important to "shop around" when looking for a pyschiatrist or therapist. You wouldn't take your car to the same asshole mechanic twice. Why treat your brain and emotional state to any less consideration?
Saurencaerthai wrote:....it can be more helpful to converse with peers....
Oh yes, talking with your friends is so very important, even moreso when dealing with problems/issues in your life. I think professional help is another component that can be as equally as important though -- a third-party opinion can be quite insightful and helpful -- especially in times of need. But yes, you get by with a little help from your friends.

Friends can often be a double-edged sword though, as they may not understand your emotional/physical problems and react in unfavorable and sometimes damaging ways ("just get over it!" and the like). I've lost a few friends because they couldn't handle my depressive spells. It's hard, and can initiate a deep funk in and of itself. That's why, when I'm feeling good, I work even harder to appreciate the people that love me and stand by me, even if they "don't get it". You get what you give.

Too, as I mentioned above, seeking peers online in depression groups can be helpful, as long as you don't let it drag you down as well.
Saurencaerthai wrote:sometimes, going to the shrink is not enough or the right thing...
True. Health, diet, exercise, peers, fun stuff, etc. are all so very important. The brain is very complex and different things work for different people. The important thing is to never give up trying again and again to make things better. That's how I'm beating depression: a long, stubborn war of attrition.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"