tau in the star trek

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

starcraft
Redshirt

tau in the star trek

Post by starcraft »

the entire tau empire that is all there ships and planets appear in the star treck galaxy specificaly in the gama quadrant time period 3 years before the dominion war
I love starcraft,star treck and star gate
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

It's Star Trek, not Star Treck. The Dominion would destroy them in the space and overwhelm them on the ground through sheer numbers.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Federation and Klingons are rapidly assimilated. (The Federation uneasily, but they share the same ideals, and the Tau are vastly stronger (Exterminatus capable at least). The Klingons by being shown the might of the Tau empire and promised glory fighting on their side or a smackdown if they refuse.) The Romulans would probably be harder to persuade to the Greater Good, but they'd not be able to do much against the Tau...

EDIT Ah crud. Misread that as in the Alpha Quadrant. Withdrawn.
Last edited by NecronLord on 2004-08-10 06:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Given their ideological differences i'm betting there'd be a war with the Dominion.

On the ground the Tau would probably own the Dominion (like most 40K races they understand combined arms tactics), but in space ... don't know, i haven't seen any calcs for Tau firepower and from what i understand they have quite a slow FTL drive (in 40K terms).

If they do survive long enough to make contact witht he Feds then they'll probably become buddies as they're both space-commies, though i wonder if the Feds would like the caste system, the "re-education" camps and a few other things.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

2000AD wrote: i haven't seen any calcs for Tau firepower and from what i understand they have quite a slow FTL drive (in 40K terms).
The Tau can slug it out with the Imperium of Man in space and are Exterminatus capable.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
starcraft
Redshirt

Post by starcraft »

what about tech exchange that is tau and feddies exchange technology say replicators for the warp technology
I love starcraft,star treck and star gate
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Aya wrote:It's Star Trek, not Star Treck. The Dominion would destroy them in the space and overwhelm them on the ground through sheer numbers.
Oh yeah :snicker:, The Dominion will :Snicker: Defeat the tau em...

BUWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAA!!!!~

The Tau would Own the Entire star trek galaxy in a war. NO. QUESTIONS. ASKED.

The Tau Empire faces the Imperium of man, A nation that has Battleships capable of burning a contenant off the face of a planet in one broadside, and Geuss what, the Tau not only activly defends Against the IoM Navy (a small portion of it, but still there firepower is clear), but widdles against some of the Imperium's worlds. The Tau army uses combined arms, something that no-one in the star trek universe has even considered. Tau firewarriors have built in IR sensors that could negate the Jem Hadar's stelth abilities, as well as having more powerful, brute force weapons, and they also have stelth soldiers (Stelth battlesuits) in POWER ARMOR!

The only thing is the Tau are not evil, so they may not start wars. But damn straight they will finish them.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Bah, I concede then. :P
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

starcraft wrote:what about tech exchange that is tau and feddies exchange technology say replicators for the warp technology
The Tau would probably be more interested in Feddie warp drive than the other way around...the warp in 40K is......well, unreliable, to say the least.
JADAFETWA
Troodon
Redshirt

Post by Troodon »

Just how large is the Tau empire? I've heard the Tau have something like 45-100 worlds, with around a dozen major worlds, spaning an area 300 light-years across. Are these numbers accurate? Also, how strong are their planetary defenses; space, air, and ground?

On the offensive side, how is their FTL speed, and what forces can they commit to an invasion? Based on Games Workshop's website and discussions I've read it sounds like they outclass most of the major Trek powers in most fields, although I don't know how their FTL speed and military size compare. Thanks for any clarification.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Troodon wrote:Just how large is the Tau empire? I've heard the Tau have something like 45-100 worlds, with around a dozen major worlds, spaning an area 300 light-years across. Are these numbers accurate?
Yes. They're given in Codex: Tau (page 7 for the 300 ly quote, and pages 64 and 65 for the number of major worlds).
Also, how strong are their planetary defenses; space, air, and ground?
They make use of orbital stations, but generally Tau tactical doctrine places emphasis on mobile warfare and not getting pinned to the defence of a static objective.
On the offensive side, how is their FTL speed, and what forces can they commit to an invasion? Based on Games Workshop's website and discussions I've read it sounds like they outclass most of the major Trek powers in most fields, although I don't know how their FTL speed and military size compare. Thanks for any clarification.
FTL speed I'm not clear on, although Kill Team says that it would take about four days for a Tau ship to navigate along one of the warp lanes thy've marked out, but the distance isn't stated.

As to military size, the Tau commited seven vessels of approx. cruiser displacement as a rapid-response force to the Damocles Gulf crusade fleet. However there aren't any statements as to what percentage of their fleet that represented.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Troodon wrote:Just how large is the Tau empire? I've heard the Tau have something like 45-100 worlds, with around a dozen major worlds, spaning an area 300 light-years across.
I don't know offhand, but that sounds close.
Also, how strong are their planetary defenses; space, air, and ground?
Good in every category. Unlike any Trek power, Tau actually utilize things like tanks and an air force, so the Feddies would be utterly fucked on the ground. Their handheld railguns (rare accroding to the novel Firewarrior) can punch through ceramite armor and titanium (IIRC) like tissue paper. The larger version on a battlesuit treated a passenger bus like a bullet treats a ballon in For the Emperor.
On the offensive side, how is their FTL speed, and what forces can they commit to an invasion?
FTL is not too good. Tau don't have a very efficient way of navigating the Empyrean the way the Imperium has its Navigators, so they're reduced to shorter jumps of (IIRC) a few dozen light-years at most before they need to drop out. And their target coordinates are rarely (if ever) met with precision, but that's mostly due to the bizarre laws of the warp.

As for invasion forces....hm. Well, I don't know about that Tau in particular, but 40K ships in general carry around an assload of troops...maybe someone with the Codex:Tau or BFG could step in here.
Based on Games Workshop's website and discussions I've read it sounds like they outclass most of the major Trek powers in most fields, although I don't know how their FTL speed and military size compare. Thanks for any clarification.
Tau military, like every race in 40K, is a veritable sea of death compared to what the Feddies or Klingons churn out. Battles on the ground would be so one-sided they won't even be funny.
JADAFETWA
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Just to throw this out, Sabbat Martyr states that attack speed for IoM battleships is .75-cee, and according to the Fire Warrior novel, Tau ships are faster than Imperial ones.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Well, if you go by the space game stats for the Tau, you get the following:

Explorer Battleship:

Hull Capacity: 600 gigatons
Shields: 50 gigatons (regenerates to full every 15 minutes)
Armor ignores 2/3 of the shots that hit it, except in the aft area, where it ignores 1/2 (this is likely including jamming chaff, flares, not actual armor itself.
Turrets: 5 (very high rating actually, on an average bomber strike, the turrets will knock down over 90% of the inbound bombs)

Weaponry:
Prow railguns: 300 gigatons, per 15 minutes, or 2 gigatons per minute.
2 Launch Bays, each with capacity for 4 squadrons of attack craft (each squadron is either fighters or bombers)
3 Gravitic Hooks, used to carry smaller vessels or other items through FTL, that don't have FTL capacity

Variant of the above removes 2 squadrons from each Launch Bay, and replaces them with forward missile launcher, capable of firing up to 80 missiles at once, with each missile having a 5 gigaton warhead. Can only fire once per 15 minutes though

Merchant Vessel:

Hull Capacity: 200 Gigatons
Shields: 50 gigatons
Armor: ignores 2/3 of the fire coming in, from all directions
Turrets: 2 (fairly standard number, allows the ship to ignore about half the incoming ordnance from a bomber attack)

Weaponry:
Prow Railguns: 100 gigaton capacity
Port Railguns: 100 gigaton capacity
Starboard Railguns: 100 gigaton capacity
2 Gravitic Hooks

Variant removed the gravitic Hooks and replaces them with Ion cannons, giving the ship two more turrets total, each with a capacity of 50 gigatons. Ion cannons ignore the armor protection, but only have a 50/50 chance of hitting.

Hero Vessel (first Tau purpose built warship)

Hull Capacity: 400 Gigatons
Shields: 100 gigatons
Armor: ignores 2/3 of the fire coming in, but the front has a special deflector, that increases it to ignoring 5/6 of the incoming fire. This defelctor can be damaged though, removing its additional protection.
Turrets: 3 (good number, allows the ship to ignore about 2/3 the incoming ordnance from a bomber attack)

Weaponry:
Prow missiles: 60 missiles, each at 5 gigatons per
Prow Railguns: 200 gigatons
2 Launch Bays, each with 1 squadron on board
Port Ion Cannons: 100 gigatons
Starboard on Cannons: 100 gigatons

Alternate version removes the Ion cannons and replaces them with railguns, so each side gets a capacity of 200 gigatons. More firepower, but less likelihood of hitting anything.

Defender Starship:

Hull Capacity: 50 Gigatons
Turrets: 2 (fairly standard, allows the ship to ignore about half the incoming ordnance from a bomber attack)

Weaponry:
Prow Railguns: 150 gigaton capacity
Prow Missiles: 20 missiles, each 5 gigatons

Messenger starship:

Armor: ignores 1/2 of the fire coming in, from all directions
Turrets: 2 (fairly standard, allows the ship to ignore about half the incoming ordnance from a bomber attack)

Weaponry:
Prow Railguns: 150 gigaton capacity

Main use ofthis ship is to boost the accuracy of ships near it, by providing additional targeting data.

Orca gunship:

Turrets: 1 (low, allows the ship to ignore about 1/4 the incoming ordnance from a bomber attack)

Weaponry:
Prow Railguns: 100 gigatons
Prow Ion Cannon: 50 gigatons

The Explorer and Merchant hulls wer originally pure transports, but as the Tau expanded, they met cranky neighbors, and armed their transports with weapons. As they learned more, the developed more designs, to see how they worked.

The Tau Port and Starboard weaponry is designed so it can fire forwards as well, so being in front of a Tau vessel is not a fun feeling. The way I took the damages (hull, shields, and weaponry) is by multiplying the number listed by 50 gigatons.

So, in space, the Tau can get a good first strike in, by launching their missiles, and after that, will have to deal with lots of small Fed ships, zipping around the fleet (the gunship is larger than the E-E).
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Coalition wrote:The way I took the damages (hull, shields, and weaponry) is by multiplying the number listed by 50 gigatons.
The thing is, one point of strength in BFFG is equal to ~610GT, not 50.

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Coalition wrote:Well, if you go by the space game stats for the Tau, you get the following:
<snip>
So, in space, the Tau can get a good first strike in, by launching their missiles, and after that, will have to deal with lots of small Fed ships, zipping around the fleet (the gunship is larger than the E-E).
Wow! Where did you get those stats? I've been looking for stats like this for the other 40k races as well and would really appreciate a link or some advice on where to find them.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Black Admiral wrote:
Coalition wrote:The way I took the damages (hull, shields, and weaponry) is by multiplying the number listed by 50 gigatons.
The thing is, one point of strength in BFFG is equal to ~610GT, not 50.

:shock:

Where did you get that calculation from?

(sorry for all the 40k noobness, but I just haven't found any of this stuff...)
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Where did you get that calculation from?
It's from an old piece of fluff about a torpedo, carring X five gigaton warheads timed to detonate after penatration...
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: :shock:

Where did you get that calculation from?

(sorry for all the 40k noobness, but I just haven't found any of this stuff...)
Necronlord has the right of it. The number's in the old Space Hulk rulebook and the figures are 122 5GT warheads IIRC

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Kuja wrote:Their handheld railguns (rare accroding to the novel Firewarrior) can punch through ceramite armor and titanium (IIRC) like tissue paper.
Yep. Page 322 says that it goes through SM armour like a needle through fabric (the exact wording).

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Someone PLEASE change the title. The "Treck" is annoying as hell :x
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Done.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Kuja wrote:FTL is not too good. Tau don't have a very efficient way of navigating the Empyrean the way the Imperium has its Navigators, so they're reduced to shorter jumps of (IIRC) a few dozen light-years at most before they need to drop out.
Not a few dozen, a few, maybe 2-4LY's per jump.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Then you have those nice gun and shield drones and the Tau version of Klingon warriors....Klingon vs a Kroot...my money is on the Kroot.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Then you have those nice gun and shield drones and the Tau version of Klingon warriors....Klingon vs a Kroot...my money is on the Kroot.
Kroot all the way, especially since their guns double as close combat weapons, so they don't have do spend time dropping their rifle and drawing a knife/sword like the Klingons do
The Kroot even have some basic form of combined arms (Kroot hounds and Krootox).
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!