Land Power

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Darth Wong wrote:His opening gambit is wide-beam stun. Naturally, he assumes that a wide-beam stun must have unlimited width
No need for that. Let's take Tokyo. It has 12 million people, in an area of 2187km^2. Let's assume a shipboard phaser can have a maximum raw output of 1TW to be reasonably generous, and have it cover 1,000,000m^2 (1 square kilometer). That would be an average intensity of 1MW/m^2. At 40,000km altitude, assuming a 1m^2 starting beam area, the beamwidth has to be in the region of 1.5 degrees.

Now, I don't know the damage characteristics of a stun beam, but seeing that normal intensity at Earth's orbital distance is 1.4kW/m^2, and the intensity on Earth is but a fraction that, I can't see a bombardment of 1MW/m^2 being good for anyone.

At that rate, a single ship can cover Tokyo in less than an hour. Now, perhaps Betazed has lower densities, but no one said one ship. If they had only one ship, they had no chance of bringing enough troops to defeat 100,000 enemy, even with proper equipment and support.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Praxis wrote:
Maybe because we couldn't FIND the target?
Federation sensors could likely pinpoint Bin Laden's location, then nuke him, if it were in modern day Earth. Just scan for life forms in mountains...all hidden bases show up...fire phasers!
Who said anything about tracking down a single individual? I'm talking about general military campaigns. But anyway, Ii you used that tactic in the real Afghanistan the result would be some dead talaban, and several million dead civilians since you've made no effort to discriminate between friendly and hostile forces.

The reality is, modern day armies can't AFFORD the kind of money they'd need to fire one missle at every cluster of soldier in the enemy army. That'd take millions of missles. Trillions of dollars.
Are you trying to sound stupid? The most commonly used guided weapon for the USAF, JDAM, costs only about 20,000 dollars. And if you actually need millions of them to destroy every group of enemy soldiers, you'd also be facing tens of millions of enemy soldiers. That isn't the case in any of my examples.
With phasers, on the other hand, the ship can just start melting enemy lines indiscriminantly. They can't hide, just run.
Yeah, because nothing, except several dozen common things, can block Federation sensors.
The Federation still needs a ground force, but not neccessarily an army.
If it looks and quacks like a duck you can still call it a tiger, but that doesn't change what it is. The Federation needs a army if its going to conquer planets, and a repetition of claims of the invincibility a single tactic is not going to change that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Darth Wong wrote: Net result: millions of Betazed civilians are stunned into unconsciousness in the streets, while millions more see the event from inside buildings. Mass panic ensues. Enemy losses during this operation are minimal since they kept out of sight, expecting orbital bombardment. Since stun beams cause low-level neurological damage and the beam afflicts both young and old, sick and healthy, expect thousands or tens of thousands of civilian casualties from this operation.
If the SS Prozac sees that the enemy are hiding in buildings, they can warn the population before stunning everybody. Then no mass panic. They may even persuade more of the population to go outside.

Also, I don't recall stun beams killing anybody. If my memory is deffective I'm sure you'll feel free to correct me.
Now for Prozac's step 2: beam out all the civilians into some remote wilderness area. Based on the figures from "Descent Part 2", this will take approximately 6 months, during which most of the civilians will no doubt starve to death unless the ship has the facilities to beam down foodstuffs for millions of displaced civilians.
I was thinking of doing that, yes. Also ship designed for carrying troops will probably have more transporters, and there will hopefully be more than one of them.
Time for Prozac's step 3: bombard anything that can inhibit transporters. Naturally, the defenders put all such equipment inside buildings. Net result of this operation: most of Betazed's capital city is destroyed. Most of the buildings are blown apart with orbital bombardment, and the city is in ruins. Those defenders who found natural ores or dense-metal structures or deposits to protect themselves are still immune to transport.
Since the defenders cannot leave their buildings without being stunned, It should be quite possible to destroy these things with shuttles rather than orbital strikes if the ships phasers cannot be fired at lower than normal power levels. Only the buildings with enemy forces in them will be hit, and possibly only the floors with them on if the buildings are big enough.
And now for Prozac's step 4: beam men down now that the transport inhibitors have been destroyed. Of course, what they don't realize is that not all transport countermeasures are always-on inhibitors. The first wave is caught by a tractor beam (see "Attached") and redirected into the vacuum of space. First wave suffers 100% casualties.
That trick cannot be widley used, else no one would ever risk transporting as often as we have seen the federation do. Assuming it works, and that it can cover the entire city then a lot of men would be lost.
Step 4 redux: they destroy the site from which the tractor beam originated and repeat the operation. A different site does the same thing. Second wave suffers 100% casualties. Given the dense presence of technology on the planet's surface, it is impossible to locate and destroy everything which might be a transporter, and defenders have naturally gravitated to regions which are difficult to penetrate with sensors.
I don't think I'd be that stupid. If nothing else I could send down a few cargo boxes and then some men in space suits. If they survive I could send some more men down.

Also, you have to remember that unless the enemy are really well dug in their chain of command and their sensors and comunications will now be somewhat messed up. They might not be able to pull off such a tactic.
Step 5: change of plan. They go down in "hoppers" to avoid lethal transport countermeasures. Due to their total lack of a conventional ground army (which Prozac deems unnecessary) they suffer horrible casualties. For every defender they kill, they lose many men of their own. But they eventually prevail.
Assuming that I can't locate all of the enemy devies by beaming junk down to the planet, and assuming I don't decide that the losses so far and the probably losses of a cityfight outweighs the deaths of civilians who refused to leave their homes and start bombarding with photon torpedos, and assuming that my shuttles cant kill enough of the enemy to make them surrender, then this is the likely outcome. But my main point is that it may well never have come to this point in the entire life of the federation.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

If the SS Prozac sees that the enemy are hiding in buildings, they can warn the population before stunning everybody. Then no mass panic. They may even persuade more of the population to go outside.
The problem is communicating with the population on a occupied planet. Also the occupying forces could call a curfew and prevent people from going outside.
I was thinking of doing that, yes. Also ship designed for carrying troops will probably have more transporters, and there will hopefully be more than one of them.
No dedicated Federation troop ship has not been seen. And even then the number of transpoters on a ship cant be much greater than a GCS due to power and space concerns.
Since the defenders cannot leave their buildings without being stunned, It should be quite possible to destroy these things with shuttles rather than orbital strikes if the ships phasers cannot be fired at lower than normal power levels. Only the buildings with enemy forces in them will be hit, and possibly only the floors with them on if the buildings are big enough.
This is tricky. Shuttles do at least as much damage as modern explosive weapons. They cant kill people inside a building without damaging or destroying it,.
I don't think I'd be that stupid. If nothing else I could send down a few cargo boxes and then some men in space suits. If they survive I could send some more men down.
Which is not very effective.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Prozac the Robert wrote:If the SS Prozac sees that the enemy are hiding in buildings, they can warn the population before stunning everybody. Then no mass panic. They may even persuade more of the population to go outside.
Wait. You want to persuade more people to go outside, into your stunning beams? Your alert would also nicely eliminate the chance of it affecting any enemy soldier, so you might as well forget your mass stun plan and start working on something else.
Also, I don't recall stun beams killing anybody. If my memory is deffective I'm sure you'll feel free to correct me.
A casualty doesn't necessarily mean a death. However, stunning simply can't be good for anyone's health.
I must have missed that episode about those "ships designed for carrying troops" and how many more transporters they have.
Since the defenders cannot leave their buildings without being stunned
Unless they go out in say ... a APC ...
That trick cannot be widley used, else no one would ever risk transporting as often as we have seen the federation do. Assuming it works, and that it can cover the entire city then a lot of men would be lost.
Sure it isn't because the Federation has no better solutions? Oh, and thanks for conceding the point.
The space suits won't help if they use another type of inhibitor. In fact, sending down the crates may not help you much. A crate can be distorted a bit and still look like a crate. The same's not true of a human.
Also, you have to remember that unless the enemy are really well dug in their chain of command and their sensors and comunications will now be somewhat messed up. They might not be able to pull off such a tactic.
Oh, so if the enemy's unprepared (despite your plan requiring months to get past Step 2), you might stand a chance. Great contingency planning there.
But my main point is that it may well never have come to this point in the entire life of the federation.
Given the caliber of their enemies, you might be right. Sigh...
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Vympel wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Commander K'Brahn'Aghn: "It was a Glorious Battle, worthy of Song. I simply sent in wave after wave of my own men until the enemy ran out of ammunition. We will all meet in glory in Sto'vo'Kor. Qa'Pla!"
The Klingon version of Zap Brannagan?
From what we observed of Klingon boarding tactics in the DS9 episode "The Way Of The Warrior (2)", can anybody really tell the difference?
There are four key differences, though:

1) Gowron didn't have a white horse, a sabre, or a hover platform for the horse.

2) DOOP infantry bodysuits have futuristic headfins, Klingon infantry have non-futuristic cranial ridges.

3) Klingon disruptors lack the field-recharge option of the DOOP assault rifle (and 'Pop Goes the Weasel' is always a jaunty tune, good for troop morale in combat).

4) Gowron has General Martok's entire body (albeit the Changeling version) available, while Brannigan has Henry Kissinger's head in a jar.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Just a quick question. How good are the federations pure visual and infra red sensor capabilities?

I seem to recall them being able to see some fairly small things on the main viev screen, so I'm wondering if they could pick off things like APCs even with sensor jamming in place.

If not they could still have shuttles shoot them.

Also, I think some of you are overestimating the amount of things you can actually do when you can't go outside for fear of stunning. Even getting food to your men might well be hard if you want them spread out. Concentrating people is inviting a hit by shipboard phasers.

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Darth Wong wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: He had access codes to the Ferengi warship's computer system? Do tell.

Alpha-quadrant computer security is a joke. This has been well-established before.
I was under the impression that Ferengi sensors just suck. What I thought happened was that Riker and Co. warped away a second before the torpedo detonated and the Ferengi senors picked up that very same ship but all they could tell was that it was a Federation starship.
I'm talking about the imaginary reinforcements that they detected approaching their position, thus forcing them to flee.
That imaginary reinforcement was the Hathaway. The Ferengi didn't note the Hathaway warping away and then after it appeared the Hathway was warped away they detected her at a distance and assumed it was reinforcements to defend the Enterprise.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

here is one reason you may need a ground force. Planet based surface to space defenses. The nice big starbase scakle phasers can be mounted i arrays on a planets surface to keep your nice ships from firing on ground positions, pray tell hoew do you neutralise an array that packs more punch than a ship mounted array if you dont use infantry?
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Prozac the Robert wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: Net result: millions of Betazed civilians are stunned into unconsciousness in the streets, while millions more see the event from inside buildings. Mass panic ensues. Enemy losses during this operation are minimal since they kept out of sight, expecting orbital bombardment. Since stun beams cause low-level neurological damage and the beam afflicts both young and old, sick and healthy, expect thousands or tens of thousands of civilian casualties from this operation.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but are you seriously claiming that an orbiting warfleet could convince the civilian population to LEAVE their shelters in order to be fired upon? Are you smoking crack?

By the way, what possible good will mass-stunning be if regular civilian buildings provide enough shelter to block their effects and you've warned the enemy the attack is coming? Do you think the enemy soldiers are going to stand out in the street carrying big cardboard bullseyes over their heads for your convenience? The only living things that will be outside to be stunned will be the pigeons.
The conspirators in ST6 on board Enterprise were killed by a phaser on stun at close range.
Now for Prozac's step 2: beam out all the civilians into some remote wilderness area. Based on the figures from "Descent Part 2", this will take approximately 6 months, during which most of the civilians will no doubt starve to death unless the ship has the facilities to beam down foodstuffs for millions of displaced civilians.
Number of dedicated troop ships seen in Star Trek: 0. Even in the alternate timeline in "Yesterday's Enterprise", the Federation moved troops on warships.

Number of times transporters have been used for mass evacuations: 0.
Time for Prozac's step 3: bombard anything that can inhibit transporters. Naturally, the defenders put all such equipment inside buildings. Net result of this operation: most of Betazed's capital city is destroyed. Most of the buildings are blown apart with orbital bombardment, and the city is in ruins. Those defenders who found natural ores or dense-metal structures or deposits to protect themselves are still immune to transport.
We've seen how small active transport inhibitors are. Mike's point, which flew so far over your head it needed a parachute to land safely, is that they'll have thousands of those inhibitors all over the city. And unless they conveniently leave them by open windows, you're going to have to smash the entire building to take them out--a building packed full of civilians, since nobody can venture out onto the street.

Unless you're seriously arguing that Federation sensors are so good, their targeting so precise, and their firing platforms so stable, that they can pinpoint the inhibitor and fire a narrow phaser beam through the wall and destroy the device while leaving the building intact, in which case I recommend you take a break before you start to chafe.
And now for Prozac's step 4: beam men down now that the transport inhibitors have been destroyed. Of course, what they don't realize is that not all transport countermeasures are always-on inhibitors. The first wave is caught by a tractor beam (see "Attached") and redirected into the vacuum of space. First wave suffers 100% casualties.
They obviously have the hoppers for some reason, and to my knowledge we've never seen a mass troop insertion into a combat zone via transporter. But you've conceeded that the tractor beam trick could kill a lot of men, so let's move on.
Step 4 redux: they destroy the site from which the tractor beam originated and repeat the operation. A different site does the same thing. Second wave suffers 100% casualties. Given the dense presence of technology on the planet's surface, it is impossible to locate and destroy everything which might be a transporter, and defenders have naturally gravitated to regions which are difficult to penetrate with sensors.
This is assuming they bother beaming your men into a stable orbit, rather than just letting them materialize in the upper stratosphere.
You don't need central command and control to operate a tractor beam and a set of passive sensors to detect incoming transporter beams.
Step 5: change of plan. They go down in "hoppers" to avoid lethal transport countermeasures. Due to their total lack of a conventional ground army (which Prozac deems unnecessary) they suffer horrible casualties. For every defender they kill, they lose many men of their own. But they eventually prevail.
Assuming that I can't locate all of the enemy devies by beaming junk down to the planet,
How long do you think it will take them to catch on to that trick? How much time are you willing to waste trying to locate and destroy the transporter countermeasures? Even if you do take down all the tractor beams, what's to stop them from just scattering piles of materials known to inhibit transporters around the city? Or generating local electromagnetic fields to disrupt transporter beams? Or just firing mortars onto your men as soon as the location of the beamdown has been triangulated?
and assuming I don't decide that the losses so far and the probably losses of a cityfight outweighs the deaths of civilians who refused to leave their homes and start bombarding with photon torpedos,
Congratulations, you've just leveled a city full of Federation citizens because your lack of an effective ground army left you no other option. What in the hell makes you think the enemy would even let the civilians leave and make your strategic decisions easier?
and assuming that my shuttles cant kill enough of the enemy to make them surrender,
No army in the history of warfare has surrendered because the enemy's air attack was too intense for them. If waves of B-52s couldn't do it to the NVA, shuttlecraft sure as fuck aren't going to do it to the Jem Hadar.
then this is the likely outcome. But my main point is that it may well never have come to this point in the entire life of the federation.
Wishful thinking and an astounding lack of knowledge about real-life military operations do not make for a valid point. Essentially, your argument is: "If the enemy does exactly as I predict and makes no adjustments to counter my tactics, and my ships have capabilities never demonstrated anywhere in canon, and I have all the time in the world without having to worry about a counterattack or the opportunity cost of keeping ships in orbit to hunt and peck at transport inhibitors, and the civilians behave exactly the opposite of how civilians in a war zone have in every war in history, then my plan is foolproof and the Federation doesn't need a real ground army."
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Alright: In the event that the federation cannot stop an enemy landing an army on one of it's own worlds, that the army will flat out refuse to surrender even when threatened with complete anhilation by antimatter torpedos, and cannot be negociated with, then the federation would need a dedicated army to clear them out.

How often is this likely to crop up? Has it yet happpened in the history of the federation?

Oh and as to the problem co-ordinating transport countermeasures: I don't mean that it would nescesarily be hard the first time, I mean that it would be hard to set up a series of them in different physical locations and then set off a different one everytime a transport was attempted, without giving your positions away by stopping transport of storage crates or lab rats.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Alright: In the event that the federation cannot stop an enemy landing an army on one of it's own worlds, that the army will flat out refuse to surrender even when threatened with complete anhilation by antimatter torpedos, and cannot be negociated with, then the federation would need a dedicated army to clear them out.
Threatening them with annihilation doesn't work unless they're convinced you're willing to glass the surface of your own planets. I hope I don't need to explain how that's not a viable long-term option for retaking YOUR OWN TERRITORY. And the first step obviously isn't impossible because the Dominion captured Betazed easily.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

RedImperator wrote:You don't need central command and control to operate a tractor beam and a set of passive sensors to detect incoming transporter beams.
I'm not defending him or anything, but to be fair, in StarTrek, groups tend to over-centralize their defenses to a rediculous degree that smashing their central C&C just might work. After all, a group of cadets in DS9 "Homefront" managed to knock out Earth's entire power grid - from planetary defenses to civilian's lights - by disabling some of the systems at Earth's central planetary control. Prozac may be counting on something like that.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
RedImperator wrote:You don't need central command and control to operate a tractor beam and a set of passive sensors to detect incoming transporter beams.
I'm not defending him or anything, but to be fair, in StarTrek, groups tend to over-centralize their defenses to a rediculous degree that smashing their central C&C just might work. After all, a group of cadets in DS9 "Homefront" managed to knock out Earth's entire power grid - from planetary defenses to civilian's lights - by disabling some of the systems at Earth's central planetary control. Prozac may be counting on something like that.
It's helpful when the enemy is stupid, but you're asking for trouble counting on it.
X-Ray Blues
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Gil Hamilton wrote: I'm not defending him or anything, but to be fair, in StarTrek, groups tend to over-centralize their defenses to a rediculous degree that smashing their central C&C just might work. After all, a group of cadets in DS9 "Homefront" managed to knock out Earth's entire power grid - from planetary defenses to civilian's lights - by disabling some of the systems at Earth's central planetary control. Prozac may be counting on something like that.
Not exactly, they used control of the power grids computer network to transfer a protocol to each power relay station which was thus ordered to go offline, it had to be done relay by relay instead of just flicking a switch (or blowing up) the central power station.
Still not great but there is no indication that a direct attack on the central computer system would case the entire power grid to fail.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Interesting how DS9 had direct mention of Planetary Defenses. So planetary shields aren't out of the question afterall.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Chintack showed us a that a space defense batterys can be quite affective
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Alyeska wrote:Interesting how DS9 had direct mention of Planetary Defenses. So planetary shields aren't out of the question afterall.
Planetary defenses could be anything. Considering we've never seen or heard about planetary shields anywhere, I would think they're still out of the question until we see some evidence they're even capable of building and powering them.
X-Ray Blues
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

TheDarkling wrote:Not exactly, they used control of the power grids computer network to transfer a protocol to each power relay station which was thus ordered to go offline, it had to be done relay by relay instead of just flicking a switch (or blowing up) the central power station.
Still not great but there is no indication that a direct attack on the central computer system would case the entire power grid to fail.
Well, exactly what happened was they put that virus into the computer in Planetary Control, which was the center of the network and it brought the whole network down. Naturally, all the power relays wouldn't go down at once, but as a cascade effect. A direct attack most likely would have had the same effect, in the same way pulling out the CPU of a computer will render the rest of the computer inoperable.

The point was that it was an excellent example of how StarTrek organizations over-centralize everything. I could have used the Enterprise-D's main computer or Risa's weather control system (another planetary system that went wahooni shaped thanks to a small action by a tiny group of people) as an example as well.
Alyeska wrote:Interesting how DS9 had direct mention of Planetary Defenses. So planetary shields aren't out of the question afterall.
Planetary defenses doesn't necessarily mean a planet wide shield.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

"planetary defenses" could be a fighter squadron, or orbital defense platforms, or weapons that can fire into orbit.

In TNG, Picard was utterly shocked at the idea of a shield that could hold the Enterprise in place. Other episodes indicate that planetary shields are WELL beyond the Federation.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

RedImperator wrote:
Planetary defenses could be anything. Considering we've never seen or heard about planetary shields anywhere, I would think they're still out of the question until we see some evidence they're even capable of building and powering them.
Actualy we have heard of planetary shields in TOS era as well as VGR. Thing is, what planetary defenses could Red Squad shut down from the ground? Ground bassed power systems wouldn't affect battle stations and OWPs. It would affect ground bassed weapon systems and shields. Thats it.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Praxis wrote:
"planetary defenses" could be a fighter squadron, or orbital defense platforms, or weapons that can fire into orbit.

In TNG, Picard was utterly shocked at the idea of a shield that could hold the Enterprise in place. Other episodes indicate that planetary shields are WELL beyond the Federation.
Please tell me how sabotaging ground power will affect fighter squadrons or orbital defense platforms. And weapons firing into orbit are just as interesting as planetary shields.

Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Alyeska wrote: Please tell me how sabotaging ground power will affect fighter squadrons or orbital defense platforms. And weapons firing into orbit are just as interesting as planetary shields.
You hadn't given the specific quote at the time, so I didn't know.
Obviously, it won't affect fighters or orbital platforms, but it WOULD affect weapons firing to orbit.

Weapons wouldn't be that impressive. A LASER beam could fire into orbit. A photon torpedo launcher could fire into orbit. Maybe an advanced phaser array.

Also, are you sure they disabled planetary defenses FROM THE GROUND?
How do you know they didn't disable the ORBITAL defenses, OR sabotage the fighter hangars on the surface?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Praxis wrote:You hadn't given the specific quote at the time, so I didn't know.
Obviously, it won't affect fighters or orbital platforms, but it WOULD affect weapons firing to orbit.

Weapons wouldn't be that impressive. A LASER beam could fire into orbit. A photon torpedo launcher could fire into orbit. Maybe an advanced phaser array.
Ah, but given what we have seen of Trek ships to be able to hit ships in orbit your weapons will be faster then what we see used on ships.
Also, are you sure they disabled planetary defenses FROM THE GROUND?
How do you know they didn't disable the ORBITAL defenses, OR sabotage the fighter hangars on the surface?
The entire event revolved around disabling power for 99% of the entire planet. They couldn't have affected the Orbital equipment because that was used to take up the slack and transport soldiers throughout the planet.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

The Lakota was used to move around men AFAIK. And if all orbital defences were integrated into a ground based control system (hardly unbelievable in ST) knocking out power to that could render orbital platforms useless.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama