Jurassic Park 4 to be...well, see for yourself (spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Vertigo1 wrote:They should've stopped with the second movie. What's next, a damn "reality" TV series / mockumentary sticking a group of people on Site B? :roll:

oh wait.....some jackass at Fox will think its a good idea and will try to make it happen.
Actually thats a very cool idea. The Site B 'reality'/mockumentary.

And call it...Raptor Island! :) Welcome my freinds to Raptor Island, where your flesh will fall from the bone!
Kanye West Saves.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I actualy like the idea. Dinosaurs vs the military is going to be an interesting fight to watch. Of course if the producers go for realism the dinosaurs will be slaughtered but it would be a fun fight anyway.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

neoolong wrote:They would have to make some convulted thing about the mud it was buried under keeping it cool enough.
It's possible, the coolant was only supposed to last 30 hours or so. So theoretically the mud could have kept it cool. At least until the rain stopped...

The only explanation I can come up with for finding Nedry's jeep is that each vehicle has a transponder in it. (Which is quite possible, given the amount of crap they have in the book.) Then someone finds the transponder logs and puts it all together.

As for this movie, I'm not sure what to make of this. Seems like an interesting idea, if a little wankish.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Agent Fisher wrote:But how did they know about the can?
Dodgson or the other guys at his company fessed up.
The security system was down. No one saw him take the embryos and put them in a can. And how will the find it?
If they find the jeep, they might search around the area. Conceivably they could find it.
But with the Super smart dinos, part of me goes COOL!! but most of me goes WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY SMOKING??
Well, I'm just hoping the triceratons from TMNT are in it.

Or the guys from that Asian movie Dino Wars or whatever it was called. That looked great.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:
Vertigo1 wrote:They should've stopped with the second movie. What's next, a damn "reality" TV series / mockumentary sticking a group of people on Site B? :roll:

oh wait.....some jackass at Fox will think its a good idea and will try to make it happen.
Actually thats a very cool idea. The Site B 'reality'/mockumentary.

And call it...Raptor Island! :) Welcome my freinds to Raptor Island, where your flesh will fall from the bone!
Or they'll make it a hunting trip for rich folks and something goes wrong. Oh wait, they're doing that in A Sound of Thunder.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stupid. Why doesn't Spielberg leave this shit alone? 2 and 3 sucked. Leave it alone!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vympel wrote:Stupid. Why doesn't Spielberg leave this shit alone? 2 and 3 sucked. Leave it alone!
Given his level of brainrot by revising E.T. to have walkie talkies...instead of pistols in the FBI agents hands.

I'd say it's another brain fart of his.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

The concept about a Judas strain in bullshit.
The idea that you can only get genetic material from the shaving cream when there's Live dinosaurs running around the Americas is bullshit.

The Grendel idea is... meh. Wonder if they'll pay Niven royalties?

Oh and Aly, they were Utahraptors in the first film.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

InnerBrat wrote:Oh and Aly, they were Utahraptors in the first film.
IIRC Utahraptors hadn't actually been discovered until after the first movie was made. They just fudged the size of regular velociraptors, although there were theories going around at the time saying that there could have been man-sized raptors.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Me, from the "Predator Lands in Jurassic Park" thread:
The thing that pissed me off about the raptors is that they kept getting smarter and smarter with each movie. I'm pretty sure that if they ever make a Jurassic Park 4, it'll have raptors flying airplanes and building nuclear weapons.
I fucking rock.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Andrew J. wrote:
InnerBrat wrote:Oh and Aly, they were Utahraptors in the first film.
IIRC Utahraptors hadn't actually been discovered until after the first movie was made. They just fudged the size of regular velociraptors, although there were theories going around at the time saying that there could have been man-sized raptors.
The description was published in June 1993, (JP was a 1993 summer movie), but the animals are still closer to Utahraptors than Deinonychus.

Also, Jim Kirkland (who described Utahraptor) has a claw from the original film and a claw from his discovery. Indistinguishable.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

So they got lucky?

Didn't know there were man-sized raptors, but got lucky that there were?
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I think it sounds like a good idea. By JP2, the series was already horrible, so it would only make things worse if they took themselves seriously in JP4. The way I see it, when you've reached the point where you can't possibly get any worse, turning to mega-action can only help.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

InnerBrat wrote:Also, Jim Kirkland (who described Utahraptor) has a claw from the original film and a claw from his discovery. Indistinguishable.
How much variation in claws could there be? You just take a regular velociraptor claw and scale it up, and there you go.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Mutant Headcrab wrote:Just thought of something. The thing says that the focus of the movie will be the can that Nedry had in the first movie. Didn't the guy who gave Nedry the can say that it would only keep the material viable for thirty hours? By the time they get it wouldn't it have been, you know, a little over thirty hours?
The guy in the original movie needed living embryos, and the can could only keep them alive for 30 hours. It looks like Hammond only needs the genetic material, which could be extracted from a dead embryo just as easily as a live one.

Still seems like a really stupid idea, though. Not so much the can thing as the entire rest of the movie.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Mutant Headcrab wrote:Just thought of something. The thing says that the focus of the movie will be the can that Nedry had in the first movie. Didn't the guy who gave Nedry the can say that it would only keep the material viable for thirty hours? By the time they get it wouldn't it have been, you know, a little over thirty hours?
The guy in the original movie needed living embryos, and the can could only keep them alive for 30 hours. It looks like Hammond only needs the genetic material, which could be extracted from a dead embryo just as easily as a live one.

Still seems like a really stupid idea, though. Not so much the can thing as the entire rest of the movie.
Yeah, but wouldn't decomposition take care of all of that after 10+ years of being bured in mud?
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Vertigo1 wrote:
Yeah, but wouldn't decomposition take care of all of that after 10+ years of being bured in mud?
Lol, we are talking about people who had the science and tech in 1993 to take crusty 65+million year old dna from fossilized mosquitos and make thousands of healthy living dinosaur clones without much trouble. Some how I don't think a fully sealed can of embryos sitting under some dirt for a mere 12 years is going to phase them.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Doesn't the whole premise of dinosaurs being a legitimate military threat to the US just a tiny bit silly?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Doing a quick goole search (and checking "The Dinosauricon" website): though claims vary, the height of a utahraptor is often stated to be just 2 to 3 meters, and most sources state that it is about 5 to 7 meters.

The SMALLEST Utahraptors would be the size of a JP Velociraptor.

As for the claw claim I seriously doubt Grant was carrying around THIS in his pocket
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Um, how exactly are the dinosaurs going to get to central America, when the island is quarantined(other than the Pterosaurs, but they can't feed on people for long)?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Um, how exactly are the dinosaurs going to get to central America, when the island is quarantined(other than the Pterosaurs, but they can't feed on people for long)?
They stowed away on boats that went to the island for some reason?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stark wrote:Doesn't the whole premise of dinosaurs being a legitimate military threat to the US just a tiny bit silly?
No, it seems pretty fucking stupid.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

InnerBrat wrote:The concept about a Judas strain in bullshit.
The idea that you can only get genetic material from the shaving cream when there's Live dinosaurs running around the Americas is bullshit.

The Grendel idea is... meh. Wonder if they'll pay Niven royalties?

Oh and Aly, they were Utahraptors in the first film.
I thought Utahraptors were somewhat larger than that. Deinonychus was the correct size.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Anyone notice that Hammond's plan for a Judas strain is, well, exactly what he did with the original park? All of the dinos there were female, but apparently every species there managed to change sex (thanks to frog genes).

And what the hell would pterosaurs attack humans for? The largest pterosaur, Quetzalcoatlus, had a wingspan of about 12 meters (!), but only weighed 50kg (some sites claim upwards of 125kg, but they don't exactly have a professional look to them)! These things couldn't pick up a human if they wanted to, and I'd say that even an adult Quetzalcoatlus would be hard-pressed to lift anything but infant humans. They're fishers! (Reminds me of the Spinosaurus from JP3. It's lightly built and eats fish. Would've been pulverized by a T-Rex, but they made it an uber-dino for the movie).
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

neoolong wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:Um, how exactly are the dinosaurs going to get to central America, when the island is quarantined(other than the Pterosaurs, but they can't feed on people for long)?
They stowed away on boats that went to the island for some reason?
They'd have to be one helluva a group of stowaways- especially a Mr. Rex
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood