3D Modeling Comp (WIP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

3D Modeling Comp (WIP)

Post by Warspite »

Well, my entry to the quarterly competition, and it was about damn time too!

It's a pretty simple concept really, just a monstrous spear through a planet, the really hard stuff was putting all the particles in place to simulate the debris ring... First time I fooled around with particles, deflectors and forces, it was interesting.

All the geometry is in place, only thing missing is texturing the planet, the spear and adding a cheesy nebula for background.

[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

what was hard about the particles? what didn´t work?
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

salm wrote:what was hard about the particles? what didn´t work?
Oh, nothing too great, really. It was the first time I really devoted some time to particles to achieve a specific goal, without just making cute effects or the like. That, and my comp doesn't like too many of them... I tried to render a 1 minute animation of them swirling around, and it just crapped on me. (I connected a Vortex in order to homogenize the emition from the 2 Pclouds).
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Warspite wrote:
salm wrote:what was hard about the particles? what didn´t work?
Oh, nothing too great, really. It was the first time I really devoted some time to particles to achieve a specific goal, without just making cute effects or the like. That, and my comp doesn't like too many of them... I tried to render a 1 minute animation of them swirling around, and it just crapped on me. (I connected a Vortex in order to homogenize the emition from the 2 Pclouds).
ah, a vortex. that´s why you´ve got single particles flying around where there shouldn´t be any, the one´s that fly out of the vortex.
personally i would have done that by animating the particles along a spline. that´s easier to controll than vortexes, at least for this type of strict shape like circles and stuff.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Eeek... Didn't think of that one. Yeah, I'll give it a try.