The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

He preferred that to his worst nightmare. In 1947 he’d left his fiancee, a Luftwaffe telegraphist, in Berlin, they’d planned to marry in six months,
Hey is that the same girl who won the bet with Goering? Poor guy.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

I was thinking the same thing
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

God, I just discovered this a few days ago and I've read through everything.

Anyone know what a Pentomic division consists of?
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Zed Snardbody wrote:God, I just discovered this a few days ago and I've read through everything.

Anyone know what a Pentomic division consists of?
I'll have to look around, but there's a listing somewhere. It is a division comprised of five battlegroups which can cover quite a bit of ground. However, they suffered command and control problems and really couldn't take ground (and probably would have trouble holding it).

Said divisions could only really defend themselves by employing nuclear waepons, which would immediately escalate the war and bring down SAC's wrath upon the offending nation.
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

What's a B-74 Dominator? All the references that I can find to it is that it was just a reserved number that was never used, like the a few of the X-40 series today?
-Luke
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

lukexcom wrote:What's a B-74 Dominator? All the references that I can find to it is that it was just a reserved number that was never used, like the a few of the X-40 series today?
It's a replacement bomb truck for the B-60 and B-52 if I'm not mistaken.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Crayz9000 wrote:
lukexcom wrote:What's a B-74 Dominator? All the references that I can find to it is that it was just a reserved number that was never used, like the a few of the X-40 series today?
It's a replacement bomb truck for the B-60 and B-52 if I'm not mistaken.
That is correct, and the designation was indeed chosen because it wasn't used in the historical numbering. IIRC Slade mentioned that it's thought that B-74 might have been reserved for the B-52H, but the decision was made to keep that significantly modified version as mere variant.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Crayz9000 wrote:It's a replacement bomb truck for the B-60 and B-52 if I'm not mistaken.
He described it as something like a bomber with a C-5's weight payload.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Seer wrote: Some day, yes. The Groves/LeMay struggle would be part of the story - it would start with the details of the Halifax-Butler coup (showing just how the British system of the era would allow that to happen without any real opposition) and ends with Colonel Dedmon and his crew picking up Texan Lady from the factory.

There's also an early 1950s story that covers how the Triple Alliance was formed and how its structure evolved (and why). That will also cover the very early beginnings of the Caliphate.

There's also another story I have drafted out that's set a long way in the future (four hundred years plus).
:shock: :shock: :shock: He MUST publish this! this cannot be denied
to SF readers! The TBOverse must triumph over all!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

SAC is going to hyperspace, and its taking its bombers with it.
lukexcom
Padawan Learner
Location: Ah, Northern Virginia. The lone island of stability in an ocean of recession.

Post by lukexcom »

hehe, can't wait for the 400 years in the future story myself...

SAC bombers...iiiiin spaaaaaace!! :D
-Luke
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I NEED ANOTHER FIX!

I think its worse finding a good unfinished fan fic then starting with it from the begging. You have so much to read and then nothing you have to wait.....

ARGH!
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:
I know what a B-36 is!

Just the only pusher aircraft built since WWI
There where many other pusher designs after WW1, the B-36 and some other planes made use of it because the engines don't distrube the airflow over the wings nearly as much, thus giving better lift.
*Nitpick attack.*

Not quite true. -Indeed the backdraft from your typical turboprop, when mounted in front of the wing, can actually increase lift coefficients, especially at low speeds. This is why aircraft like the Dash 7 STOL aircraft (or, for a jet-equivalent, the An72 'Coaler') have fairly high-mounted turboprops in front of the wing, for very high lift coefficients during takeoff and landing, especially when combined with a favourably shaped engine housing and/ or well placed slotted flaps (effectively functioning as a blown flap).

They do, however, run the risk of disturbing the airflow over the wing as well and creating significant spanwise flow, which is not always what you want, especially if you want something which can be easily predicted. On the whole this is not disastrous, however.

Pusher props tend to be used due to greater propulsive efficiency, as they don't up drag coefficients due to accelerated flow as frontal props do (by chucking accelerated air straight into the engine housing and wing leading edge). -This can be useful, especially for high altitude cruise (not usually the turboprop's element) or for aircraft with particularly thick wings.... like the B36.

Additionally, however, forward-mounted props are better for aeroelastic stability, as they push the centre of gravity of the wing structure ahead of the centre of lift. This is vital from the point of view of aeroelasticity, as a deflection in angle of attack will cause an aerodynamic twisting moment that acts against the initial disturbance with a forward-located CoG, damping wing-twisting oscillations. This is why all airliners and similar aircraft with podded engines have engine housings set significantly forward. Pusher props like the B36s are tricky, especially with wings like that, and so you see the engines mounted well within the wings (from a pure structural viewpoint, a better solution would perhaps be engine housings well aft, to allow for continual central wing structures).

-Plus on landing/ takeoff, pusher props necessitate a higher ground separation and larger, sturdier, landing gear.

[Nitpick over.]
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

"The threat board was empty. US Casualties. Nil. Enemy casualties: Everybody" :shock:

Looks like things will be getting pretty intense for the Callies, real soon :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stuart Slade wrote:The following nations are nuclear powers.

The United States
Russia
The Triple Alliance (all three major partners)
Chipan
The UK
France
South Africa
Brazil
Argentina
Chile
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Africa and South America

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Africa and South America: What's the story?

Brazil and Columbia may have gobbled up the Guianas, so what's SA look like? Is Brazil modernized and staring down a war with Argentina?

Did the South Africans pick up everyone's pieces except the Italians? IIRC, they kicked some Italian ass along with the Indian Divisions in Somaliland. Does aparthied stretch from the gold mines of the Horn to the diamond mines of West Africa?

Come on, guys. Its a good story, but we're missing 2 continents here.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

No idea. Stuart said that he had a subplot in Africa but he dropped it. But really, the areas of world importance (and thus importance to SAC) are in Asia and the Med.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »