Yay? SW DVD related.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

tim grail 3
Redshirt

Post by tim grail 3 »

Yeah I did mean the oringinal original trilogy. I thought that the terms were original trilogy, special edition trilogy, and prequal trilogy. I should have been more clear about what I meant.

P.S.
In order to avoid such confusion in the future is there a less unweildly accectable term for the original original trilogy?
A long life eating mush is best.

"But it is safe right?"
"As far as experimental gene therapy goes."

"Go back, and tell Winfield to watch. Tell him Matthew Marcus knew how to die."
saethar
Redshirt

Post by saethar »

Kurgan wrote:It would be like if Casablanca were only available as a colorized movie with a laugh track dubbed in. Sure, it might be kind of fun to see it that way, but why can't we have the originals too?
Yeah but George is still alive and feels that the only "real star wars" is his vision, whether it matches the Original OT or not.

Saethar
:twisted:
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

"in the process of being confirmed" super duper re-edited edition with all the new stuff.
It isn´t just in the process of being confirmed, it´s basically confirmed on most reliable spoiler sites. I myself downloaded the ROTJ rip weeks ago, and unless some weirdo with TOO MUCH FREE TIME edited in new footage w/a CGI crowd + The Jedi Temple and Galactic Senate in the Coruscant background AND cleaned up the footage and sound + fixed the lightsaber-shots in IV, then this is the real deal.

Plus I´ve seen loads of new Jabba in IV, new CGI eye for the diaghona (or whatever that thing is called), seen Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in ESB (a videoclip) and heard Lucas + other people on a commentery-clip talking about "adding Naboo - Padme´s homeplanet" during the end sequence.

Either I´m delusional, someone faked all these things, or, GASP! they´re all true! :O

Frankly, from what I´ve seen and heard so far, they didn´t add too much background scenery (aliens, droids etc.) and I´m actually dissappointed by this, why not go all the way already? I guess they´re saving stuff for 2007 or whatever. Besides, ROTS probably keeps people busy right now :P
Yeah but George is still alive and feels that the only "real star wars" is his vision, whether it matches the Original OT or not
People blame him for being a money-grubbing bastard and then they blame him for missing an opportunity to grab more money by not selling the O-OT anymore.
Make up your mind, is he a money-grubbing whore or artist with integrity you don´t like because you´ll never see the O-OT?
saethar
Redshirt

Post by saethar »

VT-16 wrote:
Yeah but George is still alive and feels that the only "real star wars" is his vision, whether it matches the Original OT or not
People blame him for being a money-grubbing bastard and then they blame him for missing an opportunity to grab more money by not selling the O-OT anymore.
Make up your mind, is he a money-grubbing whore or artist with integrity you don´t like because you´ll never see the O-OT?
Different people have different opinions on what's important. Personally I just want any version of the OT on DVD. It's the only thing keeping me from tossing my VHS player really.

Saethar
:twisted:
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Personally I just want any version of the OT on DVD. It's the only thing keeping me from tossing my VHS player really.
Ditto. Unfortunately, a friend of mine keeps buying cheap VHS-movies and makes me watch them. :roll:
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

VT-16 wrote:
"in the process of being confirmed" super duper re-edited edition with all the new stuff.
It isn´t just in the process of being confirmed, it´s basically confirmed on most reliable spoiler sites. I myself downloaded the ROTJ rip weeks ago, and unless some weirdo with TOO MUCH FREE TIME edited in new footage w/a CGI crowd + The Jedi Temple and Galactic Senate in the Coruscant background AND cleaned up the footage and sound + fixed the lightsaber-shots in IV, then this is the real deal.
Since I didn't (illegally) download such rip, and because all of the changes rumored have not been confirmed I used those words. I'm not saying that I *deny* that the new edition is different. Even if LucasFilm has only officially confirmed that these are "the special editions" and "the films as George sees them today" there's still plenty of evidence that these are not just the SE's on the dvd format. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Now, not to argue with you on a point I'm not disputting, but when TPM was released, people did make "Phantom Edits" that removed key scenes from Episode I. They didn't add new footage of course. But also when the DVD was released, they created new edits that interspliced deleted scenes (which were seperate from the film on the dvd) into the movie itself as part of a full narrative. Now I'm not saying that's what they did here, but again, we still don't have all the information. Even the rip you claim to have seen, may not be the "Final" cut that ends up on the DVD but a work in progress. The fact that it exists is strong enough proof that this version is new of course.

We've all seen the TFN Fan Films and how "creative" they are. And due to the very nature of the subject (digital manipulation of images and video) it's not implausible that they could be tampered with. That said, the quality of (most) of the material looks pretty professional. I mean, I haven't played all the prequel games, but somebody might be able to fool someone like me with a game cutscene spliced into some footage of the OT, but these things are out there for lots of people to see, and so far I haven't seen a good debunking (lot of us doubted the "Hayden" pic was real, spoiler sources said it wasn't final but the scene was indeed going to be changed to something like that, etc).
Plus I´ve seen loads of new Jabba in IV, new CGI eye for the diaghona (or whatever that thing is called), seen Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in ESB (a videoclip) and heard Lucas + other people on a commentery-clip talking about "adding Naboo - Padme´s homeplanet" during the end sequence.
Where is the Lucas commentary clip about adding Naboo? Or is this supposed to be taken from the DVD as well? Interesting. That's a new one for me...

What convinced me was the shot of the "new Jabba" (in a pose we'd never seen him before) in the menu shot of the DVD. That still might not be a "Final" shot, but it convinced me that the "new cut" had to be real. Exactly all the changes that will be in the final, well, wait and see. My optimistic side of course hopes the ones that look good make it in and the ones that look bad are only "beta" but I know that's my wishful side. ; )

And I agree, pictures and clips are worth more than stated rumors (which we've been hearing for awhile now).
Either I´m delusional, someone faked all these things, or, GASP! they´re all true! :O
OR, another option, some of them are true, and some of them may be beta. ; )
Frankly, from what I´ve seen and heard so far, they didn´t add too much background scenery (aliens, droids etc.) and I´m actually dissappointed by this, why not go all the way already? I guess they´re saving stuff for 2007 or whatever. Besides, ROTS probably keeps people busy right now :P
When we first started hearing about the "Archival Editions" for Star Wars,
we heard a lot of rumors, not all of which we've seen. Some have even been denied. The fact that some of the things that were rumored are "coming true" is happening, but not everything they said was true. Such is the nature of rumor...
[/quote]

He's a money grubbing artist! I like that he makes cool stuff. I don't like that he can't make up his mind about it and keeps changing it, then tries to stop people from getting the version they like.

I don't care if Lucas makes a dozen versions of the movies, but I just want to see the films as they were in theaters. These were the versions that made him rich, the ones that made cinema history, that became a part of Americana and world sci fi history. This new version (that exists only in his mind) is fine and dandy, but he has a duty to preserve the originals, and we, the people who lined his pockets seeing the originals deserve a chance to see them on a format that will last.

It's not about attacking Lucas as a person or claiming he's evil for making money, it's just that we have a 20 year legacy that he's tossing out the window when he doesn't have to. Since he himself stands to profit from preserving the originals AND he is virtually guarenteed to profit from creating new versions (proven by the SE's) and he's going to do that anyway, then it seems like he's being a "spoiled rich guy" by forbidding the porting of the originals to dvd. It's this pettiness that annoys fans.

His attitude doesn't justify the bootleg market, but it's not as if he can pretend that there's no demand for the originals and that everyone shares his view that Star Wars is "how he views it today" rather than some classic movies that were made circa 1977-1983.

Lots of other directors have modified their films on dvd (Spielberg, Ridley Scott & James Cameron, etc), but so far all of them have made the originals also available on dvd (the only one I can think of that hasn't besides Lucas is the Highlander 2: The Quickening team, but then that movie was such a flop, few even care). If there was ever a time to complain about the OT, it's now, before they're released, rather than another 20 years from now.

Granted, the situation with colorization isn't identical because Lucas is still alive and "in control" of the film property. We don't know of the director's of those B&W classics would be upset or not about colorisation. For all we know some of them might embrace it. But I used the point to compare the disatisfaction some of us have about the changing of the films using a well-known example from the cinema community.

Me, I don't care about colorisation. It looks interesting if done right, though I prefer to watch it in B&W. As long as the originals are available side by side with the color modified ones, I don't mind. The same is true of other classic movies that get modified by directors or producers.

For now, the only way to get the original Star Wars movies is to find some out of print VHS tape, that may be on its last legs (and degrades with each viewing), dig up an obsolete LaserDisk player and some out of print Laser Disks (with all their inherent weaknesses as a format), or some dvd bootleg made by an amateur studio or individual... all with the chance of having to pay an exhorbiant price, compared to what a proffessionally produced LucasFilm "original" would cost that I can just pick up at Wal-Mart, Best Buy or any major video store.

If the new "improved" OT is well done, I'd love to watch it. I would love to own it. But what's stopping him from releasing the originals on DVD? Pride, apparently. Pride in the idea that the films are his "vision" rather than movies that made him rich and famous and are a part of cinema history, and thus worth preserving in their entirety, even alongside any new versions he chooses to make.

Maybe Lucas will change his mind (as he has a million times in the past) and decide to release the originals on DVD... "one last time." Who knows.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The commentary was on a small mp3 file, and had several people on it. Lucas only talked about Anakin dieing and coming back as the person he was before he fell to the Dark Side or something (I take this as confirming the new Anakin ghost and that he truly dies in Ep. III)

The guy who mentioned Naboo wasn´t Lucas, it was one of the effects guys, he talks about having planets from different episodes in the montage at the end of Jedi, including Naboo. Maybe if I can send you the file, you´d recognize the guy, cus I didn´t :P
They had the movie playing in the background while they talked, couldn´t tell if they had the Naboo-noises to help validify this scene (There was a gungan shouting "Weesa freee!" in the RIP, I swear it was Jar-Jar himself :P)

The whole WIP-version vs. finished DVD isn´t something I want to speculate on. On Millenniumfalcon.com they had a BIG argument aobut it, and I think they came to the conclusion that the RIPs were indeed from the finished DVDs. Which I felt was a bit sad, since I now know almost every addition/change by now. (I want more walkers! *whine*) :/

Though the pictures, and subsequently the battles, look terrific now, better than ever! You can see more details on the Star Destroyers than ever before! I also liked the one thread on MF.com where they posted four DVD images of the "Comm Ship"-tower from the battle. Apparently without realizing it wasn´t a normal destroyer. :D

Those unnamed ships on both sides should be fun to watch in detail. I believe I even saw a Corellian Gunship alongside the Medical frigate in ESB! That particular fleet had taken inspiration from the old SW comics, right? And I saw some scans with gunships in them. Maybe they made a model for the movie and it´s been G-canon the whole time? (Or at least a variant of it.) XD

Anyway, I agree on the O-OT thing, I´d like to see them available, especially ANH, as I´ve never seen that as it originally was. But, it isn´t a big deal to me, even if he is too full of himself there.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No, run away, VT, before he drags you in!!

;)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Who? Jar-Jar, Lucas or Kurgan? :P
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Kurgan. Never EVER debate with that moron.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I think I´ll stay away from all three, just to be sure. :P
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

*click*

Post by Kurgan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Kurgan. Never EVER debate with that moron.
Touche Sir! If I'm not mistaken, you yourself have long been refusing to believe that the modified Star Wars DVD's are real...

Step aside! Here comes Spanky of the Anti-Debate Inquisition!

*drags net*

No seriously, if you actually don't understand why anyone would want the original Star Wars films on dvd, then there's no point in discussing!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Re: *click*

Kurgan wrote:Touche Sir! If I'm not mistaken, you yourself have long been refusing to believe that the modified Star Wars DVD's are real...
I have not. Don't make up shit, you fuck.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

I know you are, but what am I?

Post by Kurgan »

Have too.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I admit that I never actually posted that I retracted that opinion when the appropriate evidence came forth.

I have to apologise. I'm in somewhat of a bad mood today due to several things.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Ok no problem.

I was skeptical too until the barrage of new media. Plenty of us were.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

The debate is over:

DVDs reviewed
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Wow, Carrie Fisher is doing commentary on all three movies. Would have been nice to have her do one, Hamill do one and Ford do one. Still it would be nice to hear from one of the actors what it was like filiming the mvies. I'm sure Carrie will complain about having her tits taped up in ANH and winder how she'll handle commentary for ROTJ since she admits that she was so high on coke most of the time she barely remembers the movie (and it shows)
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The Ian McDiarmid Emperor-scene in ESB was cool, though. He´s a CGA, Consistently Good Actor. If only SW had more of those. :P
Is there an Ian McDiarmid scene in ESB? I thought they used the face of some woman.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Its been Replaced by the face of the True Ruler :wink:
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Dear lord, the picture with Hayden was correct.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Dartzap wrote:Its been Replaced by the face of the True Ruler :wink:
Well, I have to say that even if they fuck up the rest with their dumb revisionism, that one is definitely an improvement.

I kinda liked Boba's voice in the originals tho... or was it in the dubbed version? Can't remember :D
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

in the original he was British.. Jeremy Bolluch, i think
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

VT-16 wrote:The debate is over:

DVDs reviewed
Damn it, VT, I was gonna post that as a new thread. :evil:

:P

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

no surprise, but no more doubts..

Post by Kurgan »

VT-16 wrote:The debate is over:

DVDs reviewed
Hayden replaces Shaw, Greed Shoots First, *no* original versions, *no* deleted scenes.... all confirmed (nooooooOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!! etc). Otherwise, yeah.

The deleted scenes (or lack thereof) are a big disappointment. I mean, the two prequel dvd's so far have had deleted scenes (and completed ones at that, with the cgi, etc) but we only get a few screencaps of them here (according to the review). Blah